Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2012, 17:14   #11206
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Looks like a new update is available for Galaxy Note (with similar UI as Galaxy SIII). Hope they bring in the update soon to India as well.

http://www.sammobile.com/2012/09/05/...e-and-gallery/
Old 5th September 2012, 17:17   #11207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
It works for most of the user apps. I have shared SwiftKey keyboard's full version like that - works like a charm.

Other apps we shared - Set CPU, QuickOffice Pro, Remote Desktop Client, Launcher 7 (full) & Talking Ben (full).

Actually the apps are in /sd-ext/app folder (in sd card partition) in my phone, I made it so due to internal memory constraints. I simply wrote system/app.

In most of these cases of paid apps, I think you can pay and install the app, copy the apk from the app folder elsewhere and go for a refund quickly, then it is possible to install the app from where you had copied it. (Not recommended, and not supporting the Devs I know) This is possible in case of a rooted phone where you have access to the app folders using a root explorer.

BTW, Any experiences of sulekha.com anyone? One X is selling at 32.x K there and it is the least price I can see. Go ahead?
sulekha is safe. I have purchased an e6 for my bro from sulekha under an offer where if i posted about my purchase on FB i get another 1k off. I got 1k off as well as the phone got delivered in 3-4 days.

cheers!
Old 5th September 2012, 17:21   #11208
Senior - BHPian

Live Traffic updates on Gmaps comes to India!

"Google can provide instantaneous updates on traffic for their Google Maps – gone live for Mumbai / Delhi / Bangalore

http://60secondmarketer.com/blog/201...gle-maps-work/

Google Maps is* available on Android, iPhone and other operating systems and indicates traffic congestion by highlighting the streets in red, yellow or green depending on how bad the traffic is.
How do they do that? I mean, how do they know the traffic congestion in cities around the globe? More importantly, how do they get that information so quickly?
I always assumed Google had worked out deals with various Departments of Transportation around the globe. My thinking was that Google would get updates on traffic from these departments and upload the information into their computers.
Not.
Google, being the smart folks that they are, figured out an even more ingenious way to collect the data. But before I tell you their solution, why don’t you pause for a moment and see if you can figure it out. (If you can, you’re much smarter than I am. I’ve pondered this for quite a while — okay, I’m boring that way — and never arrived at Google’s amazingly simple solution.)
Ready for the answer?

Rather than setting up agreements with hundreds of departments around the U.S. (and around the globe), Google lets the*data do the talking. (No surprise, given the fact that the company employs tens of thousands of world class statisticians.)
What do I mean when I say that Google lets the data do the talking?*It’s simple, really. Google’s Android Operating System tracks the movement of people carrying their phones. In other words, they track the statistical data that shows where Android users are at that moment.
I use the phrase “statistical data” intentionally, because Google tracks*anonymous*data. (Relax, privacy advocates.) In other words, Google doesn’t know that*you’re*stuck in traffic, they simply know that*thousands of anonymous bits of data*are stuck in traffic.
Congratulations. You’re a bit of data.
I mention all this partly because I’m a bit of a Geek and I ponder this kind of stuff. But I also mention it because it shows you just how brilliant the folks at Google actually are.
"
Old 5th September 2012, 17:22   #11209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Navfree is slightly better software than Sygic. And its free too.
I had bad times with Navfree. May be its open maps, but it has given me wrong directions and information more than once. Sygic has never let me down till date. For me sygic is much better
Old 5th September 2012, 17:32   #11210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athani View Post
By the way, I believe Sygic to be a good investment. Nothing comes close - certainly not the free alternatives.
Yes. Indeed it is a good offline maps solution, though I have faced numerous issues with it so far. 12.1.2 version has new features and new bugs as well.

One good thing they did is to allow it to work on 5 devices at the same time.

Now, I can buy a license from their estore, and install it on my mobile, tablet and even share it in the family.

However, I cannot do the same if I buy it from Google Play store, since then the license will be tied to my account and I am certainly not using my account on other mobiles in my family.

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th September 2012 at 15:08. Reason: Small edit to quoted post.
Old 5th September 2012, 17:34   #11211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

Yes. Indeed it is a good offline maps solution, though I have faced numerous issues with it so far. 12.1.2 version has new features and new bugs as well.

One good thing they did is to allow it to work on 5 devices at the same time.

Now, I can buy a license from their estore, and install it on my mobile, tablet and even share it in the family.

However, I cannot do the same if I buy it from Google Play store, since then the license will be tied to my account and I am certainly not using my account on other mobiles in my family.
Use your account on the other phones only to download and install Sygic. Then remove your account.
Old 5th September 2012, 17:42   #11212
Senior - BHPian

^Have you tried this?
The application checks for the Google account that the license is bound to at every launch.

Please confirm if this is not happening in your testing.
Old 5th September 2012, 18:21   #11213
BHPian

I just tried out the Voice enabled Google maps on my way back from work.
I must say it worked pretty well. No lag in the directions.

Took some inner roads and it quickly re-routes and speaks out the directions. Very nice so far. Hope it remains consistent and has coverage in all areas.

I also noticed some options where you can select multiple routes , checkbox for avoid motorways / avoid tolls etc..
Maybe these were there and I did not notice it.

-Fillmore
Old 5th September 2012, 18:23   #11214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
^Have you tried this?
The application checks for the Google account that the license is bound to at every launch.

Please confirm if this is not happening in your testing.
I can't try it right away as I don't have another phone. But Sygic faq page says that the app goes online to check license only at the time of activation.
Old 5th September 2012, 18:47   #11215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Live Traffic updates on Gmaps comes to India!

"[i]Google can provide instantaneous updates on traffic for their Google Maps – gone live for Mumbai / Delhi / Bangalore
Hey, that's fascinating. I would not have thought of this method.

But, isn't this reliant only on Android phones then? For example, and generalizing here, if I were at the Sakinaka signal and there were 70 cars stuck around with me. Google would report this as a congested signal if more than a certain number of cars carried Android phones. However, if the majority of the cars carried non-android phones, it would mark it as a congestion free signal when actually there would be a mad rush there.

How do you think Google overcame this problem?
Old 5th September 2012, 19:32   #11216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight

Hey, that's fascinating. I would not have thought of this method.

But, isn't this reliant only on Android phones then? For example, and generalizing here, if I were at the Sakinaka signal and there were 70 cars stuck around with me. Google would report this as a congested signal if more than a certain number of cars carried Android phones. However, if the majority of the cars carried non-android phones, it would mark it as a congestion free signal when actually there would be a mad rush there.

How do you think Google overcame this problem?
I have no clue, but I am sure like the came up with this tech they would have found some solution. Also I think they surely depend on data from other phones using a Google account.

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th September 2012 at 15:10. Reason: Please use proper punctuation/capitalization, even when posting from mobile. In fact it should be easier ;)
Old 5th September 2012, 19:32   #11217
Distinguished - BHPian

Google isn't going to be able to report the huge traffic jam caused by people converging on an iPhone convention

But what they are doing is clever, and, when one thinks about it, obvious. I wondered what the different colours meant on the quick first-trial route I did, standing by the window, today. Now I know. Thanks, KSM-Vtec.

I don't have a problem with paying (or having paid for) Sygic, on the basis that I accepted all the good stuff you guys have said about using it; that their licensing is very fare and, bottom line, I can afford it. Add all that up and throw in a pinch of smug (about having paid ), and it's a good deal!

Now that there are two effective navigation systems on my phone, it's just a shame that I don't often travel away from a few well-known routes.
Old 5th September 2012, 20:16   #11218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Looks like a new update is available for Galaxy Note (with similar UI as Galaxy SIII). Hope they bring in the update soon to India as well.

http://www.sammobile.com/2012/09/05/...e-and-gallery/
WOW. Can I download thru' sammobile? Can I run the German version on my Indian Note?

The interface looks awesome. Just can't wait to grab it!

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 5th September 2012 at 20:17.
Old 5th September 2012, 22:19   #11219
Senior - BHPian

Finally took the plunge and updated it. Loving every bit of the update. The entire process was a breeze.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120905_221858.png
Views: 367
Size:  70.7 KB
Old 5th September 2012, 23:49   #11220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Finally took the plunge and updated it. Loving every bit of the update. The entire process was a breeze.
The gallery looks way better now. I might go back to touchwiz after upgrading. Presently using Apex launcher. You used PC ODin for upgrading?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks