Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2012, 17:05   #9556
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Dual-SIM Android smartphone 'Micromax A52' launches at Rs. 5,999 - Mobile Phone | ThinkDigit News
Old 8th June 2012, 17:29   #9557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Got ICS installed on my friend's note as well as my S2 & there is a slow down i have noticed especially when i press contacts icon. It takes an extra second to display. Even my friend with the Note was complaining about it slowing his phone & he not being a techno geek thinks i did an unwanted "upgrade".
I was able to update my Note to ICS using Kies software. Update went smooth with any problems, but now I feel that the phone is slow in responding and Battery is also draining fast.

Per your post, you are also facing the same issue. Were you able to find a workaround?
Old 8th June 2012, 18:09   #9558
Senior - BHPian

I found Go Launcher EX to be great with Galaxy S2. For new users, it doesnt need the S2 to be rooted.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120608_180649.png
Views: 660
Size:  271.4 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
I was able to update my Note to ICS using Kies software. Update went smooth with any problems, but now I feel that the phone is slow in responding and Battery is also draining fast.
If its possible, after taking backup, try resetting the phone to factory condition or perform a wipe. I believe it will be faster.

Last edited by _raVan_ : 8th June 2012 at 18:13.
Old 8th June 2012, 18:25   #9559
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
I found Go Launcher EX to be great with Galaxy S2. For new users, it doesnt need the S2 to be rooted.

Attachment 938095

GO will bring your performance down BIG time, trust me.
its the best and most customizable, but its like bacon, somehow!!

Try Zeam, much lighter, and most of the good stuff from GO is present.
Old 8th June 2012, 19:59   #9560
Senior - BHPian

The best launcher is launcher pro.. Go hogs memory and is slow imo
Old 8th June 2012, 20:12   #9561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
Launcher pro with a performance GB rom like CM7 can make your older 1Ghz phones fly. I get smoother desktop screens transitions in my desire than stock galaxy note or even the oneX with sense...yes! This is a tested thing! (my bro has One X)

Last edited by clevermax : 8th June 2012 at 20:15.
Old 8th June 2012, 23:40   #9562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax

Launcher pro with a performance GB rom like CM7 can make your older 1Ghz phones fly. I get smoother desktop screens transitions in my desire than stock galaxy note or even the oneX with sense...yes! This is a tested thing! (my bro has One X)
Id like to have that. But do we get weather widgets with the launcher pro app? The latest go launcher update on my note looks amazing but ive faced some issues while using whatsapp and go launcher. Im on ICS 4.0.3 if thats any help. More battery drained.
Please post some screenshots of your phone.
Regards
Old 9th June 2012, 02:30   #9563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Id like to have that. But do we get weather widgets with the launcher pro app? The latest go launcher update on my note looks amazing but ive faced some issues while using whatsapp and go launcher. Im on ICS 4.0.3 if thats any help. More battery drained.
Please post some screenshots of your phone.
Regards

ICS? Shouldn't you be using nova/apex launcher? launcher pro hasnt been updated since gingerbread.and go launcher isnt that impressive anymore .
Old 9th June 2012, 07:22   #9564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180

ICS? Shouldn't you be using nova/apex launcher? launcher pro hasnt been updated since gingerbread.and go launcher isnt that impressive anymore .
Why do you say that ?
I am pretty happy with go launcher on ics 4.0.4.
Please share your experience.
Old 9th June 2012, 09:07   #9565
BHPian

Spice announces new Stellar Android series, 5-inch, dual-core at Rs. 12,000

Interesting...
Old 9th June 2012, 10:39   #9566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
the phone is feels faster than the S2 for sure. I just got the sim card turned intoa micro sim and into the phone. The initial impressions are pretty good.

The hole in the pocket is under 37K
Went to check out the S3 and wifey immediately approved the buy .
I am loving the phone, with battery showing 25% capacity after crossing 1 day and 10 hours. The voice quality is awesome, including loudspeaker and headset-in output.

Some queries, though:
a) The driving mode was directing calls to loudspeaker, but there is no option to auto attend calls after certain #rings.
b) I installed Tasker for auto-profile change, and it seems to work well. However post installation, the driving mode doesnt direct calls to loudspeaker, though I hear the assist voice is heard through loudspeaker.
c) I sync'd my outlook 2010 calendar to google calendar, and using S-Planner on my mobile and it works like a charm.
d) However when I set a Tasker profile to mute phone on calendar events, it doesnt seem to work (wiki didnt help much).
e) I have no clue how to record voice calls.
f) I installed Minimalistic text and love the freed-up real-estate on the screen. However this seems to limited to Battery, Time, Weather only, #SMS count etc. I would like to know if more customization are possible (wiki didnt help much).

Can someone help me out.
TIA.
Old 9th June 2012, 11:20   #9567
BHPian

Hey guys, my exams are finally over and I've got my hands on my first Android - the HTC Explorer.

Now, I'm not a geek and hardly know anything about phones and stuff, so what seems boring to you might have me squealing in excitement!

Now, I have not had enough time with the phone to pen down a full blown review, but I'll give you my initial impressions.

Note : As I said, I'm a total noob and you won't find me talking about Snappy processors or software thingamajigs.

Now, I've decided to tell you guys what was going on in my mind during the initial one hour of fiddling with my phone:

0 Mins : Open the box, looks nice and tight, take out the phone and the accessories.
Wicked! They have given me a pair of Headphones and a 2GB card!!
( I was not expecting this, hence the excitement).
Good one, HTC. (+10 points)

5 Mins : put in the battery, power up, get past the Welcome screen and find that the phone refuses to sync contacts from my old Nokia.
(Nokia smirks at this: he did it in less than a minute from my older Nokia.)
Bad.. I was not expecting this in a brand new smartphone.. -5points.

10 Mins: Wow, the Weather app animations are awesome!! I got a Thunderstorm in my phone!!

15 Min: Boy, the screen is sure responsive. This thing flies through the menus. Overall Sense UI is good.

20 Min : The phone gets locked, and I press the lock button. Then I discover the Ring of Power. Its so cool, and the most awesome way to unlock the screen!

30 Min : Decide to drop an sms to a few friends to begin 'le bragging' (They are all Nokia fanboys *green grinning fella*)
When I find out I can't type.
Then I come across the autocorrect thingy that predicts what I want to type and corrects the utter gibberish I put in! Now that's coool!!

40 Min: Decide to test the GPS. I get a lock in 10 secs flat ( with A-GPS turned on). Now that's on par with Nokias, no problems there.
By the way, how do I save my location in Google maps?

50 Min : I come across this Pocket mode thing, where the phone automatically detects when its been put into a pocket and rings extra loudly, and it quietens down when its been taken out of the pocket. Wow!!

60 Min: Enough fiddling around, have to transfer Contacts now. Since the Bluetooth Transfer doesn't work, I try the HTC Sync. It doesn't even detect my phone!
Downloaded an update for it, then it detected my phone, but refused to Sync contacts. Finally I had to do a repair install, then import all contacts to Outlook and then it finally Synced.

Come on HTC, fix your software, this thing is annoying the hell out of me!!

This phone then, is pretty good at this price range, and it can get you the HTC brand and good looks at a price that doesn't break the bank.

That's it for my initial impressions, yeah I know it was pretty lame, but I was pretty excited to get my hands on this baby HTC.
Please let me know if I should update my experiences over the days.

If anyone has any questions, do feel free to ask and I will try my best to answer them.

Cheers!!
Old 9th June 2012, 11:27   #9568
Senior - BHPian

Vodafone gifted me 3 GB per month for 2 months on 3G as part of their galaxy s3 offer. Now I see H in place of E. .....yeah baby.

I feel Vodafone is trying to get me addicted to these speeds so I can't go back to 2G
Old 9th June 2012, 11:53   #9569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Went to check out the S3 and wifey immediately approved the buy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Hey guys, my exams are finally over and I've got my hands on my first Android - the HTC Explorer.
Congrats to both of you on your new powerhouse phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Vodafone gifted me 3 GB per month for 2 months on 3G as part of their galaxy s3 offer. Now I see H in place of E. .....yeah baby.

I feel Vodafone is trying to get me addicted to these speeds so I can't go back to 2G
Of course it is a ploy to get you hooked. And you won't go back..believe me. And using 2G on advanced large screen phones is frankly quite silly. If one can pay 30K+ for a phone they can certainly afford a 3G plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Go Launcher is definitely a mem hog. I have 3 launchers on my phone - Launcher Pro, ADW Launcher and SPB Shell 3D. The default is set to Launcher Pro and SPB Shell 3D, another mem hog has amazing eye candy.

Last edited by R2D2 : 9th June 2012 at 11:55.
Old 10th June 2012, 07:15   #9570
Senior - BHPian

@Speed.Demon; a good newbie write up. I normally do not use sync. I installed it to install the drivers, then removed the sync. I bet a lot of experienced users do. For contacts the best way is to use gmail as the repository. When I moved to htc from BB I moved my contacts to gmail and then linked to that to update my contacts.

I find the sense interface as one of the best. Now you may wish to 'root' your phone. I will suggest you look up Android & Windows Phone: Tablets, Apps, & ROMs @ xda-developers the Mecca of all smartphone users (esp Android).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks