Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2012, 13:52   #9511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Yes WIFI and 3G drain battery in most android phones.

Also if battery temperature exceeds 35 deg C then battery drain is faster than otherwise..the best temperature range is 15 to 35 Deg C for the battery
Yeah i am sure they do...but my wifi is not on most of the time anyways.
Old 6th June 2012, 14:36   #9512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec

Yeah i am sure they do...but my wifi is not on most of the time anyways.
There is a bug in ics, wifi remains on or continues scanning even when wifi is off. So it is suggested to select the option I suggested.
please post the screenshot of cpu spy on your phone
Old 6th June 2012, 14:45   #9513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Congrats NFS2024 on your hot new phone.

Unfortunately this flimsy build and plastic all over is what has kept me from Samsung all this time. Despite the beautiful display and classy specs of the SGS3, I still hesitate. I really don't know what stops Sammy from using premium materials in construction.

Hoping to see a long term review from you and other SGS3 owners. It would be much helpful to all Android handset owners here who are considering this model.

Cheers!
The only thing flimsy about the phone is the back cover, that too when you open it, otherwise it looks good only. There is no problem whatsoever w.r.t the build quality. I have already posted my initial review on the S3. Right now the only grouse is the battery life. Am not even getting 8 hours and am on 3G. Am not sure if this is an issue with others as well.
Old 6th June 2012, 15:02   #9514
Senior - BHPian

^^

What! Only 8 hours! Isint it supposed to have a bigger 2100 mAh battery? Gsmarena gave big thumbs up to S3 battery in their battery test with an endurance rating of 43h. Is something wrong with your particular handset or did u check on any other forums if other S3 users are also experiencing the same.
By the way what is the ICS version on your S3? 4.0.3 is known to be buggy and a battery hogger.

Last edited by joslicx : 6th June 2012 at 15:03.
Old 6th June 2012, 15:39   #9515
BHPian

Guys. Finally took the android plunge. Motorola Atrix 2. Picked it up on Snapdeal. excellent service as usual.

Admitted it was quite a learning on Android for me. But loving the phone now. Vodafone 3g has been activated as well.

Now taking the baby steps in the world of apps and boy i drop my jaws for each new app. Also the SWYPE feature is too good.

cons- the phone is slightly heavy, but again has a solidity that I wanted. Cam is ok, compared with an s2.

This phone comes with gingerbread, so using that for now. Supposed to get an ICS update by q3.

so could anybody help me with what are the must have apps on the phone ?
Old 6th June 2012, 15:45   #9516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx
^^
By the way what is the ICS version on your S3? 4.0.3 is known to be buggy and a battery hogger.
If it is 4.0.3 then I am not surprised. I recently updated my S2 to ICS4.0.3 and I am not at all happy. Wifi gets disconnected on its own, stock browser has stopped working. I really hope Samsung releases the 4.0.4 update quickly.
Old 6th June 2012, 17:30   #9517
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace
Guys. Finally took the android plunge. Motorola Atrix 2. Picked it up on Snapdeal. excellent service as usual.

Admitted it was quite a learning on Android for me. But loving the phone now. Vodafone 3g has been activated as well.

Now taking the baby steps in the world of apps and boy i drop my jaws for each new app. Also the SWYPE feature is too good.

cons- the phone is slightly heavy, but again has a solidity that I wanted. Cam is ok, compared with an s2.

This phone comes with gingerbread, so using that for now. Supposed to get an ICS update by q3.

so could anybody help me with what are the must have apps on the phone ?
How much did you get it for?

As for the apps, there was a separate thread earlier but later it was merged with this one. Try searching here. Google can help too.

Just one thing, do look at the permissions an app asks for before installing.
Old 6th June 2012, 17:37   #9518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
^^

What! Only 8 hours! Isint it supposed to have a bigger 2100 mAh battery? Gsmarena gave big thumbs up to S3 battery in their battery test with an endurance rating of 43h. Is something wrong with your particular handset or did u check on any other forums if other S3 users are also experiencing the same.
Yes the batter is bigger at 2100mAH and the ICS is 4.0.4. Am giving you the real life experience am having with the S3. Other S3 users, pls share your experiences as well.
Old 6th June 2012, 17:41   #9519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024

Yes the batter is bigger at 2100mAH and the ICS is 4.0.4. Am giving you the real life experience am having with the S3. Other S3 users, pls share your experiences as well.
I think it is normal for one to get less battery life in the first few days. I have read at a few places that the battery will take a few charging cycles to callibrate itself. I experienced this first hand when I got Xperia Sola for my father.
Old 6th June 2012, 17:53   #9520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Well just like Saanil has suggested, go thru a few complete charge/discharge cycles. This will calibrate the battery. I think 8 hours is too less. I dont think your screen would be ON for all those 8 hours isit?
Old 6th June 2012, 18:17   #9521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
The only thing flimsy about the phone is the back cover, that too when you open it, otherwise it looks good only. There is no problem whatsoever w.r.t the build quality. I have already posted my initial review on the S3. Right now the only grouse is the battery life. Am not even getting 8 hours and am on 3G. Am not sure if this is an issue with others as well.
8 hours is very low. Do ensure that you switch off WiFi, GPS and Bluetooth when they are not required. Try and reduce the brightness, keep it to minimum if possible, and if there's an auto-brightness or light sensor option make sure it is switched on.

Anyone who falls for a massive screen should realise that it comes at the expense of battery life. There's only so much battery capacity that can be fitted into a slim body.

I get a little over 2 days of use on my iPhone 4s (3.5" IPS LCD screen, 1432 mAh battery) but only 1 day with my Motorola Razr (4.3" AMOLED screen, 1780 mAh battery)

Also, as others have pointed out it takes time for a Li-ion battery to condition itself. Check the capacity after 4-5 charge/discharge cycles.

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 6th June 2012 at 18:20. Reason: added scr details
Old 7th June 2012, 03:53   #9522
BHPian

Bought the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Am very happy with vanilla android, I find it much better than the TouchWiz customized android.
Old 7th June 2012, 04:22   #9523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury
Bought the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Am very happy with vanilla android, I find it much better than the TouchWiz customized android.
Are you talking of the nexus prime? If so did you get warranty for the set? Where did you purchase it from.? What was the price?
Can you provide some more details? Are you running ICS?
Thanks.
Old 7th June 2012, 08:49   #9524
Senior - BHPian

I was thinking of moving my Dinc2 to ICS. Seems that versions from Cyanogenmod and China Telecom are around. Onlt they may be too much of a pain. CM says, rooted and bootloader unlocked. Now I am on S-off courtesy alpharevxbeta (now revolutionary.io). Did in in Froyo days and then went over to GB (2.3.3) in due course. Now it seems that I have to revert to HBOOT 0.98 (mine is 1.xxx) and Froyo, then do the bootloader unlock, root it, and only then will the China Telecom (and maybe CM also) work. A real pain in the backside.
Old 7th June 2012, 09:14   #9525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
Onlt they may be too much of a pain. CM says, rooted and bootloader unlocked. Now it seems that I have to revert to HBOOT 0.98 (mine is 1.xxx) and Froyo, then do the bootloader unlock, root it, and only then will the China Telecom (and maybe CM also) work. A real pain in the backside.
Yes. Rooting and flashing roms is a pain on htc phones. S off and other stuff.
This is where Samsung shines.
For rooting flash CFRoot as pda from Odin.
Move the ROM to the sd card and install the zip.
We are good to go.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks