Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2012, 11:14   #8626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34

Any luck Vid?? Even I am looking for the i9100 version of S2. Please let me know if you manage to find it.
Wait till May/June. S3 is going to be released.
Old 15th April 2012, 11:24   #8627
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Wait till May/June. S3 is going to be released.
Yeah it's worth waiting for the S2 prices to drop. But most likely the S3 is going to be quad core with 4.7" screen. It's going to be a powerhouse alright but quad core and 4.7" screen will kill any battery life.
Old 15th April 2012, 11:51   #8628
BHPian

Guys, need help on rooting my Desire running on GB 2.3.3. Updated from Froyo with the GB kernel available on htcdev.com

Now, I am unable to root 2.3.3. Tried unrevoked, etc but fails to root. I read somewhere that rooting 2.3.3 is not so easy and the 'Revolutionary' is the only way to do.

Any pointers on this?
Old 15th April 2012, 13:37   #8629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yeah it's worth waiting for the S2 prices to drop. But most likely the S3 is going to be quad core with 4.7" screen. It's going to be a powerhouse alright but quad core and 4.7" screen will kill any battery life.
Nope.By that logic the dual cores that we have now should be more battery hungry that the single cores. and the single cores should be more power hungry than the entry level 600Mhz processors.My dual core phone lasts longer than my 600mhz ever did. And people are reporting excellent battery life on the HTC one X.

With new generation of processors and screens comes better battery management and efficiency.The new ones may be bigger and more powerful.but they are frugal.
Old 15th April 2012, 13:52   #8630
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Nope.By that logic the dual cores that we have now should be more battery hungry that the single cores. and the single cores should be more power hungry than the entry level 600Mhz processors.My dual core phone lasts longer than my 600mhz ever did. And people are reporting excellent battery life on the HTC one X.

With new generation of processors and screens comes better battery management and efficiency.The new ones may be bigger and more powerful.but they are frugal.
The one X is not reporting anywhere close to the battery life of the S2.

The battery is dependent on screen size, screen resolution as well as the processor.

The reason why the Tegra 3 is giving ok battery life is because it is 40nm process. The S3 is rumoured to have 28nm process which will help battery life but don't except much more.

If your a gamer and watch videos it's all fine but if you use your phone to call, browse, e-mail and work use then a quad core is not of much use. The main advantage of dual core is more RAM over the single core.

If you have a 1GHz single core processor with 1GB RAM and a 28nm process it will give way better talk time. Won't be good for videos and games as it will be running on full power.

There's lots of more stuff but I don't to go too technical in this thread. I'm in the same domain so I have a slight idea on how it works.
Old 15th April 2012, 14:25   #8631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The one X is not reporting anywhere close to the battery life of the S2.

The battery is dependent on screen size, screen resolution as well as the processor.

If your a gamer and watch videos it's all fine but if you use your phone to call, browse, e-mail and work use then a quad core is not of much use. The main advantage of dual core is more RAM over the single core.

If you have a 1GHz single core processor with 1GB RAM and a 28nm process it will give way better talk time. Won't be good for videos and games as it will be running on full power.
You forget to mention that the quad cores will be using the 800mhz fifth companion core to do everything that is not processor intensive? The four cores will be shut off during routine tasks and only be used when multimedia and anything that needs extra processing power comes into the picture.Leading to reduced battery consumption .

Plus the HTC one X is relatively new.People who are done with the honeymoon period report excellent battery life . Those who have just got one wont have the same experience as the phone is still adjusting itself.

Agreed that the savings Of new tech might not be comparable to the single cores due to the bigger screen and high resolution..But you also have to consider the fact that the Quad cores also get better high capacity batteries.around 2000 mah compared to the usual 1250mah that single cores get.

The S3 battery capacity has not been released yet. but since its usually supposed to use high end hardware we can expect a pretty good one considering that Motorola has already introduced 3300mah batteries.Plus the S3 will be saving power with the OLED since it doesn't need a backlight
Old 15th April 2012, 14:31   #8632
BHPian

Watch out guys - Intel's reference design mobile - Xolo will be available in couple of weeks. That is going to make things interesting..
Old 15th April 2012, 15:08   #8633
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
You forget to mention that the quad cores will be using the 800mhz fifth companion core to do everything that is not processor intensive? The four cores will be shut off during routine tasks and only be used when multimedia and anything that needs extra processing power comes into the picture.Leading to reduced battery consumption .

Plus the HTC one X is relatively new.People who are done with the honeymoon period report excellent battery life . Those who have just got one wont have the same experience as the phone is still adjusting itself.

Agreed that the savings Of new tech might not be comparable to the single cores due to the bigger screen and high resolution..But you also have to consider the fact that the Quad cores also get better high capacity batteries.around 2000 mah compared to the usual 1250mah that single cores get.

The S3 battery capacity has not been released yet. but since its usually supposed to use high end hardware we can expect a pretty good one considering that Motorola has already introduced 3300mah batteries.Plus the S3 will be saving power with the OLED since it doesn't need a backlight
Yes agreed the batteries are getting larger in capacity but what I'm trying to say is that at the end of the day the large size battery is needed for the higher res screen as well as increased processor power.

The S3 may have a better battery life but the solution is to increase the battery size as you mentioned for all quad cores. The one X uses the companion core but still has far less battery life than the one S with a dual core 28nm process and super AMOLED display with a smaller capacity.

I am also aware of the fix to improve battery life in the one X but still awaiting battery figures.

Also the AMOLED has it's own disadvantage. While it is very good for battery life in normal applications but for web surfing it's the worst option as most web pages are white. That's the reason why the note even with a massive 2500mAh battery life actually performs worst for web browsing than any lcd display like iphone 4S. That's also the reason why HTC introduced the one X with LCD but the one S with AMOLED.

All I'm saying is maybe for your use you need a quad core for video and multimedia but if you use it as a phone with connectivity for work use a dual core is the best compromise.

A single core is also good but with multi tasking and more complicated ui's it doesn't cut it.

Moreover only ICS is optimized for multi core applications and it isn't even out in most of the phones.

I found the perfect screen size in the S2. The note was too big and so was the Galaxy Nexus. If the S3 has a 4.7" also then I won't consider it.

Right now looking for S2 i9100 not the 9100G. Have seen that with a custom ICS ROM on S2 you can get 2 days of battery life out of it easily if not more.
Old 16th April 2012, 11:10   #8634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I can't agree on your disagreement he he.. he is talking a bit more than customization I guess, Anyway we know Android is made for it...!
I have run enough custom ROMs, most don't do that kind of click on address to navigate functionality out of the box. That idiot compares a customized android to a stock iPhone. He deserves his android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Apparently the 9100 model had a better processor than the G version.
so? Most people should've seen what they were buying. Samsung didn't guarantee a performance level, but a brand no? Auto mfrs regularly change components in vehicles - a 2010 swift wont have same stuff as those from 2008!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Here is a screenshot of the same. Masked names for privacy.
Idiots. They should do things which work for everyone. Now courtesy the internet, everyone will ask for the same. Then?

So here is my battery shootout story: (defy vs Omnia W)
In 5 hours, it went down from 90% to 15% and did not finish the day. It was charged by 11 (only 2G no data till 1, then 3G thereon, done by 6)
(despite data off at 5pm and all that)
my friends OMNIA W did everything all day including 1 hour navigation.

To be fair, 1-4pm, I made the mistake of switching to HongKong baseband (but it killed signal & battery). That said, it still died from 25% to 4% within 2 hours back on Indian baseband.

Its holding up much better today but no cigar to the omnia W.

PS: Here i can use data in apps, or tether it, but not browse on the phone (either CM7 browser / miren / dolphin). Any idea why?
Old 16th April 2012, 11:46   #8635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I have run enough custom ROMs, most don't do that kind of click on address to navigate functionality out of the box. That idiot compares a customized android to a stock iPhone. He deserves his android.
I think he showed that on a stock ICS unrooted, and customization is anyway part of Android experience right? He intended to show that iPhone requires to be jail broken and apps need to be installed to have things that a stock android offers, some of them out of the box.

To save his iPhone4's dignity, my iPhone friend showed me the option to select a list of apps when he opens a document in his jailbroken iPhone, with the help of a another app. Then I asked him to show his iPhone asking him to select Whatsapp, Viber or stock Sms app when he says 'message' something; or even an option to select which dialer (stock or viber) when he says 'call' a particular number from a webpage. - he started beating around the bush and finally signed off by saying iPhone has everything.

Last edited by clevermax : 16th April 2012 at 11:51.
Old 16th April 2012, 11:54   #8636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Guys, need help on rooting my Desire running on GB 2.3.3. Updated from Froyo with the GB kernel available on htcdev.com

Now, I am unable to root 2.3.3. Tried unrevoked, etc but fails to root. I read somewhere that rooting 2.3.3 is not so easy and the 'Revolutionary' is the only way to do.
Revolutionary is the collaboration on unrevoked & AplhaRevX. I have used both AlphaRevXBeta and htcdev.com for my Increadib2 to and Wildfire S respectively with the former on 2.3.3 and the latter on 2.3.5

For either you must first have the the drivers installed without the htc sync. The easiest is the install both and then remove the latter. Now if you use Revolutionary you have to provide the phone serial number and then get it to do an S-off from the web. For htcdev you have to unlock the bootloader from htcdev.com. You have to register, otherwise pretty straight forward. Also, it may not be a bad idea to switch off the auto-update,

Now install the two files (su and one other) to access the root. Best place for information is XDA-developers.com. Note that the rooting files from Revolutionary are not the best/right. Then go to clockworkmod and get the latest recovery for your phone. Install it (with bootloader unlocked a zip file will not install) either with the zip directly or through fastboot recovery <image filename>. Now you are in business.

I may add that the first time I did any work with fastboot was when I did my Wildfire S. The gurus prefer this route to a zip file route.

Hope this helps!
Old 16th April 2012, 12:20   #8637
Distinguished - BHPian

May be this has been covered earlier but I have not been able to find anything using search. So please humor me.

I am using Airtel pre-paid on my android phones. Every time data connection is made the screen shows information message. Good as it lets me know my usage. (also same thing happens when SMS is done etc. etc.).

Bad as this always locks the screen. The problems is that over a course of time (over night) many messages are generated and unless all are closed I am not ablke to use the phone.

For instance when I get a early morning call (or even my alarm rings) I have to press "okay/cancel" button of the messages many times before I am able to answer the phone.

Any one else having such problems? I have not been able to find any setting on the phone where this could be switched off.
Old 16th April 2012, 12:42   #8638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
so? Most people should've seen what they were buying. Samsung didn't guarantee a performance level, but a brand no?
Actually the performance difference will be too small for noticing in everyday tasks.
What will be painful is that i9100 ROMS etc take time to be adapted to the i9100G.
Old 16th April 2012, 13:41   #8639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev
May be this has been covered earlier but I have not been able to find anything using search. So please humor me.

I am using Airtel pre-paid on my android phones. Every time data connection is made the screen shows information message. Good as it lets me know my usage. (also same thing happens when SMS is done etc. etc.).

Bad as this always locks the screen. The problems is that over a course of time (over night) many messages are generated and unless all are closed I am not ablke to use the phone.

For instance when I get a early morning call (or even my alarm rings) I have to press "okay/cancel" button of the messages many times before I am able to answer the phone.

Any one else having such problems? I have not been able to find any setting on the phone where this could be switched off.
I Am not quite sure, but is there any setting under wireless network connections that allows to disable notification?

BTW I also get these notification pop ups. But only when I turn off the data connection.
Old 16th April 2012, 14:16   #8640
BHPian

Am i a complete moron or is there really no STOP button in winamp/stock media player in android? (LGP500 w/Froyo).
If my eyes aren't playing tricks and that button is indeed missing, What technical wizardy is needed to provide that option, i wonder.

More importantly how do i STOP a song being played currently. Dont ask me to PAUSE it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks