Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2011, 00:40   #6151
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Rooted the S2 via the CF root method.

Installed Titanium backup and replaced the Google Maps to help navigate

The voice control works very good as one of you said, infact am getting hooked to it.

Let's see - I am hoping to wait for a month atleast before I try out the various custom ROMS. The only thing holding me back is the thought that with a custom ROM - something or the other might not work properly.

ps - the GPS latches on to satellites in a flash on this phone. I am impressed !
Was planning to buy a GPS from UK & a Samsung S2 when i get back. Just wanted to know whether the GPS performance was capable enough to replace a dedicated GPS & how was the battery life?
Old 12th October 2011, 06:26   #6152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV

Was planning to buy a GPS from UK & a Samsung S2 when i get back. Just wanted to know whether the GPS performance was capable enough to replace a dedicated GPS & how was the battery life?
A phone may not beat a dedicated gps device. But sure as hell is lot easier to manage only one device. However with a dedicated gps you will not have the hassle of docking the phone each time you drive.
Old 12th October 2011, 10:59   #6153
BHPian

I shifted to MIUI, I am terribly disappointed with its battery life. For my kind of usage battery on Cm7 last for 6 days! But same usage in MIUI is not more than a day!

It has nice UI, but Guess I will shift to CM7.
Old 12th October 2011, 11:10   #6154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV

I was facing the same dilemma, should I get a separate gps unit or go with a phone that has gps capability.

I would say go for a separate gps unit if you can handle 2 devices, else get a phone with gps - sufficient for the kind of gps usage here.

Battery life is pretty decent with gps usage but I keep it on charging when using it in the car.
Old 12th October 2011, 11:50   #6155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
I shifted to MIUI, I am terribly disappointed with its battery life. For my kind of usage battery on Cm7 last for 6 days! But same usage in MIUI is not more than a day!

It has nice UI, but Guess I will shift to CM7.
6 Days with one charge? Which phone is that?

I came from CM7, now using MIUI. MIUI definitely consumes more battery than CM7 but around 25% more in my expereince. With CM7, mine lasted about 1 day 8 hours and with MIUI, it lasts about 20 hours.

With new ROM, your usage naturally increases for some days to learn the ropes and to find out all the bells and whistles that came with. Usage will the go back to normal. Check the battery life after few more days.
Old 12th October 2011, 12:07   #6156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
6 Days with one charge? Which phone is that?

With new ROM, your usage naturally increases for some days to learn the ropes and to find out all the bells and whistles that came with. Usage will the go back to normal. Check the battery life after few more days.
Mine is Nexus S. Since I don't have any data enabled its mostly taking calls only (max 15min per day). Don't have time to play Angry bird too, so no games either. If I use music once in a while still battery last around 5 days in one charge. Of-course I always take care to force close some application after disconnecting from charger. I observed over a period, every time you connect charger Market, Network location, Up loader and few sync application starts by eating your battery. By force stopping network location and market alone battery life can be increased around 40%.

Now coming to MIUI, I have to do the same and see if battery life can be increased to 4 days least (I forgot to do it when I switched).
Old 12th October 2011, 12:24   #6157
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I cannot access the system folder on my rooted phone...I use es file explorer.

I need this as I have installed google maps with navigation but the navigation force closes every time after a few minutes. I suspect that the original maps hasn't been completely removed from the system folder, hence I need access to it.

Any help?

Last edited by normally_crazy : 12th October 2011 at 12:26.
Old 12th October 2011, 12:26   #6158
Senior - BHPian

^^^ How to force stop network location? I did some changes in cm7 and it is now using battery like hell. however i got a new market update and started using lockscreen gestures, now disabled all of that and still i am not getting my old batt life back. did batt calib as well.
Old 12th October 2011, 12:30   #6159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I cannot access the system folder on my rooted phone...I use es file explorer.

I need this as I have installed google maps with navigation but the navigation force closes every time after a few minutes. I suspect that the original maps hasn't been completely removed from the system folder, hence I need access to it.

Any help?
Es File explorer doesn't have root browsing capabilities. Unless you have a root explorer or a terminal emulator, you won't be able to see those files. And if you are using HTC, you need to change S-ON to S-OFF to make /system writable. Rooting alone won't do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Mine is Nexus S. Since I don't have any data enabled its mostly taking calls only (max 15min per day). Don't have time to play Angry bird too, so no games either. If I use music once in a while still battery last around 5 days in one charge. Of-course I always take care to force close some application after disconnecting from charger. I observed over a period, every time you connect charger Market, Network location, Up loader and few sync application starts by eating your battery. By force stopping network location and market alone battery life can be increased around 40%.
Now coming to MIUI, I have to do the same and see if battery life can be increased to 4 days least (I forgot to do it when I switched).
Impressive. With CM7, my HTC phone never used to last for more than 1.5 days. Never killed any apps, nor disabled anything. Got to try these.

Last edited by clevermax : 12th October 2011 at 12:36.
Old 12th October 2011, 12:34   #6160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax

Which app you are using to browse system folder? Unless you have a root explorer or a terminal emulator, you won't be able to see those files. And if you are using HTC, you need to S-OFF to make changes to /system. Rooting alone
I write that I use es file explorer. That won't work?

root explorer is paid? And how do I get te on ether phone to access the folder?
Old 12th October 2011, 12:40   #6161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I write that I use es file explorer. That won't work?
root explorer is paid? And how do I get te on ether phone to access the folder?
I edited my post after reading yours properly. Sorry for that

Root explorer is paid. Not aware of any free root file explorers. Anyway, you can use a free terminal emulator for viewing, copying and editing files. Usage is difficult because it's just a terminal where you need to type in commands.

Didn't get the second part of the question...

Last edited by clevermax : 12th October 2011 at 12:42.
Old 12th October 2011, 13:03   #6162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax

I edited my post after reading yours properly. Sorry for that

Root explorer is paid. Not aware of any free root file explorers. Anyway, you can use a free terminal emulator for viewing, copying and editing files. Usage is difficult because it's just a terminal where you need to type in commands.

Didn't get the second part of the question...
Can I use android terminal emulator which is available on the market?
Old 12th October 2011, 13:22   #6163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Yaffs explorer and Ant tek do the job.
Old 12th October 2011, 14:59   #6164
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

One doubt. I updated my Samsung Galaxy SL I9003 to Gingerbread XXKPE 2.3.4 Firmware. Everything seems fine. I checked and re checked all steps before updating. But now my phone doesnt ring when someone calls me. Only Vibrates. :(

Anyone else facing this issue? please help me.
Old 12th October 2011, 15:37   #6165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l
Guys,

One doubt. I updated my Samsung Galaxy SL I9003 to Gingerbread XXKPE 2.3.4 Firmware. Everything seems fine. I checked and re checked all steps before updating. But now my phone doesnt ring when someone calls me. Only Vibrates. :(

Anyone else facing this issue? please help me.
Had the same issue when I migrated to miui. The reason was there was no default ringtone selected.
clevermax is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed