Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2011, 10:32   #4831
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Bought a DEFY for a friend from ebay for 13,800/- after 1K discount coupon from here - Motorola DEFY Android 2.1a GPS New With 1Yr Warranty | eBay

Mini review -
- Phone looks very small, donno whether thats good or bad for 22K MRP phone
Yeah. Its designed for one handed operation unlike the SGSL which is nice n easy for both hand usage!
- Phone is ultra fast

- Updated to 2.2.2 via Motorola Software Update Program available on their website; Support Site - Motorola DEFY
- Software Update from here - Motorola - Support - Software Update ; Choose MOTODEFY and follow instructions to download update program; It will install drivers, then connect phone, then it will download software, then it will install on phone; took about 30 minutes
- Very Loud Speakerphone
- Sharp crisp display
- Clear Camera
- Many added programs and settings (like to switch data on/off etc.) included
- Doesnt seem very high end when I compare it to the phones I use; Google Nexus One would have been a better choice for the same price (though its without guarantee here - http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...:X:RTQ:IN:1123 )
What do you exactly mean by high end?
The thing to do now is to root it and put CM7 as per: Motorola Defy Ownership | FreeRiding
Old 16th July 2011, 10:38   #4832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
what do you exactly mean by high end?
It looks very plasticky and chinesey (sorry for the new vocabulary... lolz). Nexus One (available at same cost) definitely feels more solid, metallic and high end; has better software support; still preferred by top mods... just a personal opinion.

He is not technical and would be most happy in the un-rooted world...

Last edited by dkaile : 16th July 2011 at 10:41.
Old 16th July 2011, 10:49   #4833
BHPian

Quote:
Phone is totally black in colour. It is shown as manufactured in India phone though the phone's innards show the phone to be manufactured in China. The warranty terms are exactly as one would buy from any shop. It comes with full bill and One year Motorola India warranty. Manufacturing date on the box is May 2011 and MRP is printed as Rs. 21,990/-.
Thanks for the info.
How abt the lens, red / green ?
Old 16th July 2011, 10:57   #4834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
Thanks for the info.
How abt the lens, red / green ?
Seems green; but photos are very sharp.
Old 16th July 2011, 16:26   #4835
BHPian

Placed order for Motorola Defy at letsbuy .
Special thanks to @deepakchiniwal for letting me use his discount coupon.

Special thanks to fellow members like @phamilyman, @clevermax, @madbullram, whose suggestions and reviews helped a lot in the decision making process.
Old 16th July 2011, 19:13   #4836
BHPian

All those who are using SGS2 or in fact any android phone, how are you closing/exiting the browser after browsing? If I browse couple of sites and then want to close the browser, should I keep on selecting back button until I come to the 1st screen and then select back again to close the browser? If in the middle of browsing, I select the home screen, the browser will still be kept open in the background and will be active. Which is proper way to close the browser, is it either to go to the inbuilt task manager and kill the internet app or keep on selecting the back button to close it or is there any other easy way to close the browser using any exit button(if exists) from wherever I want? Thanks.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 16th July 2011 at 19:15.
Old 16th July 2011, 19:26   #4837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
All those who are using SGS2 or in fact any android phone, how are you closing/exiting the browser after browsing? If I browse couple of sites and then want to close the browser, should I keep on selecting back button until I come to the 1st screen and then select back again to close the browser? If in the middle of browsing, I select the home screen, the browser will still be kept open in the background and will be active. Which is proper way to close the browser, is it either to go to the inbuilt task manager and kill the internet app or keep on selecting the back button to close it or is there any other easy way to close the browser using any exit button(if exists) from wherever I want? Thanks.
You really do not need to close the browser, if you are done using it, just press the back button and you are out, the android then also will keep your browsing data intact but will not run it. If you press home button it will keep your windows open and will run in background. In general you will not have to worry about it using your memory in ideal, the android takes care of your memory.
samy3660 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2011, 19:44   #4838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bought a DEFY for a friend from ebay for 13,800/- after 1K discount coupon from here - Motorola DEFY Android 2.1a GPS New With 1Yr Warranty | eBay

Mini review -
- Updated to 2.2.2 via Motorola Software Update Program available on their website; Support Site - Motorola DEFY
- Software Update from here - Motorola - Support - Software Update ; Choose MOTODEFY and follow instructions to download update program; It will install drivers, then connect phone, then it will download software, then it will install on phone; took about 30 minutes
Was there any improvement after upgrading to 2.2.2? I read earlier on this forum that some people who updated to Froyo using Motorola support had issues.

Or is that url meant for western countries?

I am asking becuase I am still on Eclair, which came with my Defy last month. I was planning to go for CM7, but have held back to see if Motorola releases a bug-free upgrade to Froyo.
Old 16th July 2011, 19:48   #4839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy3660 View Post
You really do not need to close the browser, if you are done using it, just press the back button and you are out, the android then also will keep your browsing data intact but will not run it. If you press home button it will keep your windows open and will run in background. In general you will not have to worry about it using your memory in ideal, the android takes care of your memory.
If I browsed say 10 sites(for example), should I press back 10 times to come to the 1st website and then back again to close the browser? If it is 1 or 2 sites, pressing back so many times is fine. If more sites are browsed, then pressing back so many times, do not feel proper. Any thoughts. Thanks
Old 16th July 2011, 19:58   #4840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
should I press back 10 times to come to the 1st website
Easy way is to just close it using the left soft touch button, more and exit. If thats not available just use the task monitor and kill the Browser. Opera has a decent browser that has exit functionality much more easier than the standard one.
Old 16th July 2011, 20:07   #4841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Easy way is to just close it using the left soft touch button, more and exit. If thats not available just use the task monitor and kill the Browser. Opera has a decent browser that has exit functionality much more easier than the standard one.
There is no exit option in the 'more' menu option. Hence, I think the only way is to use the task manager and kill the browser. Is Opera better than the default browser?

Last edited by vvrchandra : 16th July 2011 at 20:22.
Old 16th July 2011, 20:18   #4842
BHPian

I am looking for some accessories for the Defy.

First up, I am not able to find a good screen guard/protector for the Defy. Could somebody help me in finding one.

Secondly, a dual usb car charger to charge my motorola defy and ipod on a ANHC. Trying to procure it from the US, Which of the below 3 would be a better option.

1. Griffin - has two 1 Amp ports
Amazon.com: Powerjolt Dual Universal USB Micro: Electronics

2. Scosche - has two 500mA ports
Amazon.com: Scosche Dual USB Car Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

3. Scosche reVIVE - has one 2 Amp & one 1 Amp port
Amazon.com: Scosche reVIVE II Dual USB Car Charger for iPad: Electronics

Is it ok to charge our smart phone/ipod on the 2Amp port ?

Alternatively there is this capdase product available in India,
Flipkart.com: Capdase Dual USB Joystick Car Charger CA00-DJ01: Car Accessory

Last edited by donarun : 16th July 2011 at 20:20.
Old 16th July 2011, 20:28   #4843
BHPian

Quote:
..Secondly, a dual usb car charger to charge my motorola defy and ipod on a ANHC. Trying to procure it from the US, Which of the below 3 would be a better option..[/url]
Recently I bought a dual USB car charger from Croma (make is Croma) for Rs.400/-. Two USB cables can be connected to it to charge.
Old 16th July 2011, 22:21   #4844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Placed order for Motorola Defy at letsbuy .
Special thanks to @deepakchiniwal for letting me use his discount coupon.

Special thanks to fellow members like @phamilyman, @clevermax, @madbullram, whose suggestions and reviews helped a lot in the decision making process.
You're welcome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
All those who are using SGS2 or in fact any android phone, how are you closing/exiting the browser after browsing? Thanks.
Dont.

Mobile-review.com Myths about the Multitasking and Resources Hungry Android

Just minimize it (press Home and launch which app u want to do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Was there any improvement after upgrading to 2.2.2? I read earlier on this forum that some people who updated to Froyo using Motorola support had issues.
Last I heard, its now re-released and decent review on XDA. Look around there.

Quote:

First up, I am not able to find a good screen guard/protector for the Defy. Could somebody help me in finding one.
either don't bother. or get a X10 screen guard cut to size.

Secondly, a dual usb car charger to charge my motorola defy and ipod on a ANHC. Trying to procure it from the US, Which of the below 3 would be a better option.
page 290 mentioned iPod Touch 4G / 2G Capdase Car charger Dual USB | eBay - don't even try to procure such an item from the USA. Enjoy
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2011, 23:12   #4845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

Or is that url meant for western countries?

I am asking becuase I am still on Eclair, which came with my Defy last month. I was planning to go for CM7, but have held back to see if Motorola releases a bug-free upgrade to Froyo.
I had faced 1 issue after the update i.e. when I used the camera with the flash on, the screen went blank and no photo was taken. Did a Factory reset and everything went back to normal. Nearly tested all the parameters for few hours now and handed the phone to my friend, with zero issues as far as I can see.

Quote:

I ordered this for 50 bucks for 3 - 3x Film Screen Protector Guard For Motorola Defy MB525 - eBay (item 150628364870 end time Aug-04-11 11:46:28 PDT)
I order most of my screen-guards and cases from the US/HK and have had a trouble free experience mostly.
One of my friends just bought this high quality Belkin product from letsbuy Rs. 1126/- after discount for power source; seems a more complete solution along with a usb port and full 220v 200w output - Buy Belkin F5L071Ak200W Ac Anywhere + Usb Port + 200W at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed