Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2011, 23:05   #4801
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

My HTC Google Nexus One with Android isn't powering on.

Any one with a similar issue?
Does any one know if this can be repaired/fixed in NCR.

Please help.

Thanks.
Old 14th July 2011, 23:33   #4802
Senior - BHPian

I have a question.

If we don't use task killer like Advanced Task Killer, will RAM management will be better or worse for a Galaxy S phone?

Nevermind the effect on battery life, but i have noticed that RAM consumption has increased since i uninstalled Task Killer. Now a days most of the time it is 225mb+ of 384 mb available. When i do level 1 and level 2 clear memory, it goes back to 140-150mb depending on apps open. When i use to have task killer, most of the time it would stay between 160-200 mb and when i kill the task, it would go to as low as 116 mb-125mb.

Can somebody throw some light on this. What could be the issue?
Old 14th July 2011, 23:49   #4803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlieonwheels View Post
My HTC Google Nexus One with Android isn't powering on.

Any one with a similar issue?
Does any one know if this can be repaired/fixed in NCR.

Please help.

Thanks.
Not powering on after a fall or anything similar?
Old 15th July 2011, 00:17   #4804
BHPian

well, it did fall while it was still in its cover.
Old 15th July 2011, 01:44   #4805
BHPian

Re: Letsbuy.com jokers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
madbullram, We had ordered a laptop on letsbuy, order was confirmed and posted to dispatch. 7 days after ordering, got a call stating no stock, and hence order was cancelled.

letsbuy is indeed serious about refunds...etc, which is another process that takes 10days.

Strangely the last time we ordered something from letsbuy, it was delivered in a shocking 2days flat..!!!
Ordered a Fujifilm Semi-SLR Digital camera and got it in 2 days from letsbuy, however the camera came with 4GB SD Card, which was supposed to be a 8GB Card, informed the LB customer Care and waiting for the verification call, don't know what would be the outcome

Will keep you guys posted.
Old 15th July 2011, 08:16   #4806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I have a question.

If we don't use task killer like Advanced Task Killer, will RAM management will be better or worse for a Galaxy S phone?

Nevermind the effect on battery life, but i have noticed that RAM consumption has increased since i uninstalled Task Killer. Now a days most of the time it is 225mb+ of 384 mb available. When i do level 1 and level 2 clear memory, it goes back to 140-150mb depending on apps open. When i use to have task killer, most of the time it would stay between 160-200 mb and when i kill the task, it would go to as low as 116 mb-125mb.

You should go thru this
Mobile-review.com Myths about the Multitasking and Resources Hungry Android

It doesnt matter for Android if 300mb free ram is there or 140mb. It will still work with the same speed!
Old 15th July 2011, 08:16   #4807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I have a question.

I wouldn't bothered with Task killers! What I do is I use built in App Manager to Stop the application. Actually most of google application (mail, maps, Market, Calendar Sync). This action stops the service. This action alone is enough to improve battery life. You need to do this every time you connect to network (like Wifi) as these applications starts. By stoping these application you can immediate improved performance of battery. In my Nexus S moderate use of Wifi, I get around 5 days of battery (without any data enabled), where otherwise it is usually a 1.5 days.

If you are 2G/3G not sure how these applications startup work.
Old 15th July 2011, 09:26   #4808
BHPian

Anyone buying a S2 from Letsbuy, PM me before you order.

I have few coupons (4) worth 10% or max Rs 2860.
deepakchiniwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 09:52   #4809
BHPian

Dear Androidians I am a Symbionian right now, and planning to switch to Android. One query I have is regarding the push mail mechanism on Android. I need to have push mail facility to my corporate exchange server. Is the push mail mechanism a "real push" like BB or is it like Nokia messaging service? Nokia service polls the mail box at intervals to see whether there are new mails. But BB will use data only when a new mail is there in the mail box. The latter kills battery life if the interval is anywhere lower than 30 mins But BB works just fine.
Old 15th July 2011, 09:59   #4810
Team-BHP Support

Under my normal usage, Defy lasts 1.5 days.

Here you can see 13% battery after 36 hours of usage.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-snap20110715_070543.png
Old 15th July 2011, 10:09   #4811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Anyone buying a S2 from Letsbuy, PM me before you order.

I have few coupons (4) worth 10% or max Rs 2860.
I think these coupons would be locked against particular user names ? If its ok then could you please PM me a coupon code, I will give it a try here.
Thanks.
Old 15th July 2011, 10:25   #4812
BHPian

Hey Guys, I have tried breaking my head with Airtel for days trying to understand if there is anyway to monitor my GPRS (non-3G) usage. But they says there is nothing that I can do to track. The CC says their "Back-End" team tracks this and No-One has visibility to it.

So I wanted to check with you guys if there is any App to do this accurately for a SGS2 running 2.3.4 ?

P.S: I have Googled and tried *123*10# and several other codes, but they are useless.
Old 15th July 2011, 11:04   #4813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is the push mail mechanism a "real push" like BB or is it like Nokia messaging service? Nokia service polls the mail box at intervals to see whether there are new mails
SGS2 push mail is like BB. You get a mail the moment its sent to you. Inturn means that your Phone keeps checking the server.

What i have done is to remove auto Sync and kept the sync as Manual. This way when i want to check mails i just refresh to get the new mails.

This also keeps data usage in check. The data usage with continuous sync is very high. Close to 3GB a month that includes market downloads.

Since i have gtalk, 2 gmails, facebook, G+ and my corporate mails, the total usage was 3GB.

Now back to using phone mails only when required and not hi-fi always sync attitude.

Quote:
So I wanted to check with you guys if there is any App to do this accurately for a SGS2 running 2.3.4 ?

P.S: I have Googled and tried *123*10# and several other codes, but they are useless.
Check Netcounter. Atleast it dispays the total usage by Cell network and Wifi seperately

Last edited by VW2010 : 15th July 2011 at 11:06.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 11:07   #4814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Hey Guys, I have tried breaking my head with Airtel for days trying to understand if there is anyway to monitor my GPRS (non-3G) usage. But they says there is nothing that I can do to track. The CC says their "Back-End" team tracks this and No-One has visibility to it.

3G watchdog. unless u have 2G and 3G active simultaneously, which is rare (and only if u have no 3G coverage).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Under my normal usage, Defy lasts 1.5 days.

Here you can see 13% battery after 36 hours of usage.
Bow to you man. I mostly have enough to reach home with and get it charged by 10-11pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Dear Androidians I am a Symbionian right now, and planning to switch to Android. One query I have is regarding the push mail mechanism on Android. I need to have push mail facility to my corporate exchange server. Is the push mail mechanism a "real push" like BB or is it like Nokia messaging service? Nokia service polls the mail box at intervals to see whether there are new mails. But BB will use data only when a new mail is there in the mail box. The latter kills battery life if the interval is anywhere lower than 30 mins But BB works just fine.
hmmm. Its setup to say Automatic (push) and since it uses the licensed Exchange ActiveSync API - that pretty much means its as good/as bad as any other exchange push email application. ofcourse, my phone gets the email before the laptop. everytime.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 11:14   #4815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
3G watchdog. unless u have 2G and 3G active simultaneously, which is rare (and only if u have no 3G coverage).

Bow to you man. I mostly have enough to reach home with and get it charged by 10-11pm.

hmmm. Its setup to say Automatic (push) and since it uses the licensed Exchange ActiveSync API - that pretty much means its as good/as bad as any other exchange push email application. ofcourse, my phone gets the email before the laptop. everytime.
OK . So in your case, the data connection 2G/3G is always active or it connects only when a mail comes?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks