Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2011, 11:52   #4786
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
For practical purpose i am not sure if you would notice any difference between these two screens.
You would. I have S-LCD Desire and my colleague sitting next to me has AMOLED Desire. The difference is clearly noticeable. The AMOLED screen appears pixel by pixel after I got used to the S-LCD screen.

Last edited by clevermax : 14th July 2011 at 11:57.
Old 14th July 2011, 12:13   #4787
BHPian

How can we update the My phone number present in
Settings -> About phone -> Status -> My phone number in SGS2? Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 12:28   #4788
BHPian

Letsbuy.com jokers!

Sharing some problems I faced with letsbuy.com, though OT posting it since many of you are ordering from them.

1. Ordered 8 GB Microsd. Applied rbcom coupon and paid 450rs (540 rs original price) through credit card
2. Received SD card which was bent hence wouldnt work.
3. Called up LB and explained the problem, after 2-3 different people hearing they said their operations will call back.
4. After 2 days got a call. Was in a meeting so couldnt pick. Though I called back, they said only the person assigned to my case can talk so wait for call back. Once you miss their call, you need to wait for 24 - 48 hrs to get the second call
5. 2 days later, they called at 11, was in meeting, same story! Sent them an email asking them to call me btw 3- 6 or give a direct number and I will call back. They replied saying that aint possible.
6. 2 days later got the call, ensured I moved out of the meeting and picked it. The CC said they will give me a coupon for 500rs through which I can buy another card and defective one will be picked. Excellent
7. Ordered the SD card. I applied the cash coupon for 500 rs, 40 rs is still balance, tried applying rcom coupon...SORRY only one coupon can be applied!!!
8. Called CC again, same answer, operations will call back in 24 to 48 hrs!!!
9. Waited and got the call from the same person! He says as per my prev call I gave you 500rs coupon which is 50 rs more than your order value? I patiently explain to him "Sarkar, my order is 450rs bcos I applied a rcom coupon. He says yes rcom one. great, now you gave me a cash coupon which means i can either apply rcom or cash coupon and not both!! Then the CC says oh is it!!!! I will get back to you! I loose my patience and I tell him to s**** the card in some place. Get a call back later and gives me 540 rs coupon so I can buy the same card"
10. Bought the card, applied coupon and now the total is 0 rs!! But the problem is I have to select a payment method. Crap starts again. I cant select Credit card or COD or online banking bcos payment amount is 0rs . Call up CC, they ask me to select cheque! Did it.
11. After 3 days of wait, I call up CC, give my order number and he coolly says your order is pending because we are waiting for your cheque!!! Again, I patiently explain, baba, whats the pending amount? He says 0 Rs, so are you saying you are waiting for a 0rs cheque from me? CC goes blank, call is disconnected..
12. Called again today, explained the same thing, and the CC person laughed and said no problem sir, i will update as payment received and will ship your order

Now waiting...sorry for the long post!!
Old 14th July 2011, 12:29   #4789
BHPian

I've configured my corporate email via the Microsoft Exchange Active Sync in SGS2. If I want to send an email to someone in my company who is not part of my contacts, how do I search the email address of the person from the address book of the exchange server of my corporate? This was easy in my Nokia E71. Unable to search for contacts in exchange server Address Book in SGS2. Hope you got my question. Thanks.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 14th July 2011 at 12:46.
Old 14th July 2011, 12:40   #4790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
how do I search the email address pf the person from the address book of the exchange server of my corporate
Type the first name or last name and wait for the sync to search for the matching names. You can select a name from the drop down.

Major downfall is that we can't double click on a contact and get other details.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 13:28   #4791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
TFT Screens can never match the brightness and power saving of an S-Amoled screen (to the discerning eye). That is where Samsung scores big time. It is also using it's monopolistic policy and hampering sale of the S-Amoled to other manufacturers to retain its dominance when it falters in some other aspects of phone manufacturing (like poor gps, poor software and some hardware lags). Samsung is also pioneer and patenting its light weight polymer technology that it is using in its phones which others can't match as on date. HTC on the other hand has got all the other things figured out perfectly (like software, gps, soft keys etc.) and their products work perfectly albeit at a higher weight and lower screen brightness (even though they may be of higher resolution). Their overall build quality also feels more solid. Motorola is seriously hampered by its policy of locking out bootloaders and poor software management but rest of its hardware is comparable to HTC.
Actually Amoled/Samoled screens give you power saving if background is dark (or black). But for displaying whites, they consume more power than LCDs! So there is a bit of a tradeoff there as well. If you have a Amoled/Samoled screen, better stick to darker backgrounds/themes to make use of the power savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
The resolution for both is 480 x 800, and so the pixel count is 384000. (It is RGBG pixel in AMOLED and RGB in LCD)

The reason why the AMOLED screen is bad (you can see pixelization as stated) is because the pixels are not that closely packed in the Pentile Matrix. In S-AMOLED, or in S-LCD, they are more closely packed and so you cannot make out pixel by pixel.

Attachment 576768

While the number of pixels in a particular area are same, we can see that the LCD screen occupies all the area with their pixels while lots of darker areas are there in between the smaller light emitting parts in AMOLED screen.

My preference for a screen goes like AMOLED < S-LCD < S-AMOLED. While AMOLED offers better contrast ratio than S-LCD, the pixelization is very disturbing to see, once you have experienced S-LCD. But S-AMOLED is clearly ahead.
You are very right there. The number of pixels are indeed the same, the differentiator is the density of them. Thanks for the correction.
Old 14th July 2011, 13:37   #4792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Actually Amoled/Samoled screens give you power saving if background is dark (or black). But for displaying whites, they consume more power than LCDs! So there is a bit of a tradeoff there as well. If you have a Amoled/Samoled screen, better stick to darker backgrounds/themes to make use of the power savings.
In all side by side actual usage tests, s-amoled has proven to be more power efficient than lcd/s-lcd
Old 14th July 2011, 13:43   #4793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
1. Check it. I do not see it offering battery percentage, most of the functions I can anyway do with Power Control widget and Volume button right? Is there any specific reason you want me to try this?
Quick settings is a nice non-persistent app that just does everything quietly out of the box. Try it.
2. I havent done any clocking, does CM7 overclock by default?
Yes of course, it does
Install CPU Spy - u can uninstall it later!
3. Will install juice defender and check, even today I got a battery time of 14-15 hrs. Brightness is at min. I increase to max only when in sun which is like max of 10 mins in a day!
hmm. Then change data sync from constant to once in 15 mins for email. One of my battery hogs was 3G Watchdog & Lotus Traveler.
4. I added power control widget which contains wifi, data etc. I switch on and switch off there. I dont want it to do a auto synch, I generally data synch only during lunch or when I am in meeting!
That is interesting. I sync data all the time - 3 email accounts!
PS: If all fails, try:
- MIUI
- Barebones.
Old 14th July 2011, 13:48   #4794
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
PS: If all fails, try:
- MIUI
- Barebones.

could also take a look at widgetsoid.
So far the easiest toggle, plus indicator.
Old 14th July 2011, 14:48   #4795
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Bluetooth on Nexus is 2.1 while I9000 it is 3.0
Just to let you know, this is mostly fart at this point of time.

Most importantly, bluetooth 3.0 is the same speed as bluetooth 2.1!!! Its Bluetooth 3.0 +HS that is faster, and the i9000 does NOT have that.

Secondly, its like clapping with one hand. Good luck trying to find another BT 3.0 device. I spent a lot of time searching, but in the end found out the truth as stated above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
For people who have bought the Nexus please suggest if you have the AMOLED Screen or the LCD.
Base your decision on whether you want :
- Vanilla android, minimal mods, latest updates first all the time (Nexus)
- Lots of choices for customization, tinkering almost required (Galaxy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
While colors look fantastic, there'd be quite a lot of pixalization
Really impossible to notice unless you actively do a side by side comparison.
The only time this might be noticeable to the average user is when viewing certain gradients.

cya
R
Old 14th July 2011, 14:53   #4796
BHPian

Re: Letsbuy.com jokers!

Quote:
Sharing some problems I faced with letsbuy.com, though OT posting it since many of you are ordering from them.
On the same note, four of my colleagues ordered the Samsung Galaxy 3 phone from letsbuy, though its mentioned in the site that 1GB card included in the box and on the actual phone there is a sticker saying 2GB card included, none of them got any memory card whatsoever. On filing a complaint with letsbuy cc and after week or so one of them got a voucher for Rs.200 whilst the others havn't got anything yet.
Old 14th July 2011, 16:08   #4797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
could also take a look at widgetsoid.
So far the easiest toggle, plus indicator.
Looks interesting. But quite similar to the Quick Settings - which does the same job as well.

I am currently sort of pissed with Timerrific. It shuts down data just right at midnight everyday, but won't switch it on next day at 430 hours!!

Any other freeware timing apps?
Old 14th July 2011, 16:40   #4798
BHPian

Re: Letsbuy.com jokers!

Quote:

1. Ordered 8 GB Microsd. Applied rbcom coupon and paid 450rs (540 rs original price) through credit card
12. Called again today, explained the same thing, and the CC person laughed and said no problem sir, i will update as payment received and will ship your order

Now waiting...sorry for the long post!!
madbullram, We had ordered a laptop on letsbuy, order was confirmed and posted to dispatch. 7 days after ordering, got a call stating no stock, and hence order was cancelled.

letsbuy is indeed serious about refunds...etc, which is another process that takes 10days.

Strangely the last time we ordered something from letsbuy, it was delivered in a shocking 2days flat..!!!
Old 14th July 2011, 17:10   #4799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Looks interesting. But quite similar to the Quick Settings - which does the same job as well.
I am currently sort of pissed with Timerrific. It shuts down data just right at midnight everyday, but won't switch it on next day at 430 hours!!
Any other freeware timing apps?
I am using Juice Defender Plus and it has the option to shut down data during night. But this option doesn't come with the free version of JD.

Alternatively, you could use a freeware app that just puts your phone to flight mode during a preset time window. Have been using that it worked perfect. The app name is SleepMyPhone, IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Really impossible to notice unless you actively do a side by side comparison.
The only time this might be noticeable to the average user is when viewing certain gradients.
cya
R
Yes it takes a side by side comparison to notice, but the difference is quite evident.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-amoledslcdvs09102010.jpg

Last edited by clevermax : 14th July 2011 at 17:16.
Old 14th July 2011, 21:46   #4800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I am using Juice Defender Plus and it has the option to shut down data during night. But this option doesn't come with the free version of JD.

Attachment 576862
Did not really miss the absence of juice defender, as I have disabled auto sync during non peak 1930-1030 hours. Background data is also disabled, which doesn't bother most apps except android market .

Last edited by xotiq : 14th July 2011 at 21:48.

Most Viewed