Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2011, 17:58   #4171
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Which of the smartphones has the best GPS locking. I have been reading reviews that GPS in Galaxy is not great and takes a longtime to lock. Sensation is better than S2 in this regards. How are the other alternatives.

Regards
Try this on for size, provided yours is rooted and has custom recovery:
[APR.25.2011] Instantaneous GPS Fixation CWR v1.2 US & INTERNATIONAL FINAL! NEW LINKS - xda-developers

Works like a charm on my CM7 Defy. <10s lock every single time.
Old 22nd June 2011, 17:59   #4172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Out of the list mentioned by you, Galaxy S2 is the best; followed by HTC Sensation (not in your list)
What about Evo 4? is it launched here yet?
Old 22nd June 2011, 18:37   #4173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilSorot View Post
Guys this is my first post here, I am planning to buy a good Android phone, but I am confused between models any suggestions will help a lot. My initial choices are Samsung Galaxy S2, LG Optimus 2X, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10,& HTC Desire HD. Any additions to the current list is also welcome. My budget is between 20 to 30k.
Well I'd say no phone is "Best". Its all about how you feel. If possible, try to get a feel of all these. Go with whatever your heart says. These are all pretty much high end phones - all of them should serve you well. Good Luck
Old 22nd June 2011, 18:46   #4174
BHPian

Bought samsung galaxy s2, Truly amazing, makes the iphone feel and look cheap.great user interface, light and truly chique and last but not the least a fantastic screen amazingly fast.
Old 22nd June 2011, 18:49   #4175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the iphone feel and look cheap
I am not sure i can accept that. The Iphone still looks and feels far better than the SGS2. Sturdier too.

Galaxy S2 feels light and looks plastic no matter how much i try to convince myself.
Old 22nd June 2011, 18:52   #4176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Well I'd say no phone is "Best". Its all about how you feel. If possible, try to get a feel of all these. Go with whatever your heart says. These are all pretty much high end phones - all of them should serve you well. Good Luck
Thats the idea joslicx, I would definitely want to get a feel of the phones before I spend such an amount on a phone. So far the S2 has impressed a lot of my gadget freak friends, but unless I see it myself I won't fall for anything. Like you said correctly, "everyone has their individual needs and requirements" so. Will update for sure by Monday. I am going to buy on Sunday. BTW little off topic, but can some one also tell me a good place to buy cell phones around Bangalore. I am new to the city so do not know which place offers the best deals.
Old 22nd June 2011, 19:03   #4177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
1> You can access contacts directly from the Dialler.
2> open the app drawer, select the Messaging icon and drag it onto the Dock..
Thanks mate !! dragged the icons from app drawer on the dock bar and bingo !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
There is no comparison! S2 trounces Arc in every single department!!!

S2, at present, is the fastest and greatest mobile phone device one earth (As far as I know).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
yup that's right...
the SGS2 is faster and cheaper [and i think better looking too].
But the SE Arc will give you a bit of a exclusivity factor because so few people will buy it.
I guess one of the departments where Arc may outperform S2 is audio quality. I have heard (and only heard) that S2 sound quality is not that impressive and Arc being a Sony product should have great audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilSorot View Post
What about Evo 4? is it launched here yet?
AFAIK Evo 4 ain't launched in India yet and moreover it's a CDMA device I guess.
Old 22nd June 2011, 19:19   #4178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu

Thanks mate !! dragged the icons from app drawer on the dock bar and bingo !!

I guess one of the departments where Arc may outperform S2 is audio quality. I have heard (and only heard) that S2 sound quality is not that impressive and Arc being a Sony product should have great
1> if you're using awd launcher go to preferences and disable hidden dock bar.
Your dock will never go onto hiding again.
2> don't know about sound quality on the arc, but the SGS2 sound is as good as my milestone...

Edit... Im in a taxi and just thanking god that i didnt mis type d"o"ck bar...
It would have given my post a completely different meaning :-)

Last edited by Sprucegoose : 22nd June 2011 at 19:21.
Old 22nd June 2011, 19:40   #4179
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I am not sure i can accept that. The Iphone still looks and feels far better than the SGS2. Sturdier too.

Galaxy S2 feels light and looks plastic no matter how much i try to convince myself.
Ditto.... Samsung isnt even half as well built as iPhone 4. I bought a Galaxy S 2 and sold it in a week simply because I couldnt live with the absolutely horrible audio quality.
Unlike Voodoo mod for original Galaxy S, the S 2 can't be modded or improved upon because it more a hardware issue than a software one.

You can read more about it on this thread on XDA. This played a major role in my decision to sell it off apart from other which I have posted here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2395295

Galaxy SII preliminary audio hardware analysis. - xda-developers
Old 22nd June 2011, 20:34   #4180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
So its Ruggedness + 1200 saving + 1.1 GB more ROM + better GPU vs Sense and bit faster processor. HTC is definitely much more moddable piece and looks a bit sleeker.

I would advise defy but even the desire is a very desireable model. Between the two of them you can't go wrong. Definitely NOT the ace or the wildfireS which have lesser resolution screens.
Now that there are no stocks of Desire S, I am inclining towards getting the Defy and started to read abt it. But to my disappointment, read a lot of complaints abt its faulty ear piece. Have you come across any tbhp members facing this problem ? Do the Defy's sold by letsbuy & flipkart belong to the new batch ?
Old 22nd June 2011, 20:46   #4181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
Now that there are no stocks of Desire S, I am inclining towards getting the Defy and started to read abt it. But to my disappointment, read a lot of complaints abt its faulty ear piece. Have you come across any tbhp members facing this problem ? Do the Defy's sold by letsbuy & flipkart belong to the new batch ?
I bought the Defy only after reading somewhere on this thread that the ear-piece issue has been settled.

I bought mine from letsbuy on June 3rd, and it got delivered on 6th. The battery has a time stamp of April 2011 on it. So I guess it is from the latest lot.
Old 22nd June 2011, 21:31   #4182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I bought the Defy only after reading somewhere on this thread that the ear-piece issue has been settled.

I bought mine from letsbuy on June 3rd, and it got delivered on 6th. The battery has a time stamp of April 2011 on it. So I guess it is from the latest lot.
Is that your first android / smart phone ? How does the phone feel ?
How much did you pay for it ? It seems the Defy was sold for 13.8k last week but this week prices have gone up again, with discount coupons the price comes to 14.6k. Any idea how letsbuy deals with warranty related requests ?
Old 22nd June 2011, 22:14   #4183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
Bought samsung galaxy s2, Truly amazing, makes the iphone feel and look cheap.great user interface, light and truly chique and last but not the least a fantastic screen amazingly fast.
Hey Prashanth, can you please tell me some good stores around Bangalore to check out the phones. I am new to the city so could use with a bit of help.
Old 22nd June 2011, 22:36   #4184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That issue was sorted out before Jan 11 deliveries (i.e for pieces manufactured in dec or later, its not a problem). My 11 May delivered piece had a 'April 2011' manufacturing batch/date on it. You cannot get a newer piece in the market!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

Absolutely. I know a friend who got a used SGS2, used it for 2 days and resold it at a profit but the sound, heat and the plastic got to him. And the iphone interface is awesome no matter what one says

Quote:
Is that your first android / smart phone ? How does the phone feel ?
How much did you pay for it ? It seems the Defy was sold for 13.8k last week but this week prices have gone up again, with discount coupons the price comes to 14.6k. Any idea how letsbuy deals with warranty related requests ?
a. Their pricing is weird. it keeps shifting up/down. don't bother.
b. Warranty is upheld by manufacturer service centers. Letsbuy is not involved at all.

If you have any doubt, try it in person at croma or some other showroom
Old 23rd June 2011, 06:46   #4185
Senior - BHPian

Goose - fresh for u

"@ibproud: RT @BriefMobile: Exclusive: #Atrix #4G Bootloader Unlocked with #Android 2.3 Update http://goo.gl/sNtLo"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks