Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2011, 21:28   #3646
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Relax man! I am dumping the Ace and picking up the Defy as well. Was just giving a second side of the coin!

About the screen, I saw a piece at Croma which had a scratchless screen and a very abused body. So I am guessing the Gorilla glass rumour might just be true!

I agree that the XCD 35 is a great option as well, it just comes with a small battery and looks kind of boring. But what a stunning screen man! The Ace seems to have a better camera as well (might be a factor for some).

About the battery life, I thought with the lower res screen and a bigger battery the Ace would definitely perform better. I am not sure what complaints were raised about its battery life on this thread, but could it be because of the platform (Froyo, GB) rather than the battery itself?

Peace!
Old 4th June 2011, 21:38   #3647
BHPian

LOL i'm not arguing,i just feel its overpriced .just like the XCD35 was 2 months ago at 16k,i would have suggested the optimus one back then

The defy is the best phone you can get under 20k,i rate it better that the galaxy SL.much more VFM

I just dont want a first-time android user to regret jumping in.Great choice on the defy,will outlast all the other phones
Bluengel180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2011, 22:37   #3648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is a strange shop. It offers only Bank wire payment, no credit card option.
Yes even I found that weird. Tried on Ebay and the same seller had listed it at a much higher price.

The other option was Amzer India online store. Again higher price.

So I chose to buy from 'The Strange Shop'. Product was delivered safe and sound in 2-3 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
So its showing it like it would show U.S numbers (since they use the same numbering plan for mobile and landline), something americanized?
Yes. Any clue why?
Old 4th June 2011, 22:54   #3649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got my Defy. Little less excited now :( The UI and settings are not straight forward nor intuitive in short usage. Guess it happens when they cram too many things.

One question on market apps. When you press install it tells internet connection is required by the app, is it to download or to work?
I bet you must have spent the whole weekend twiddling with your new smart phone. Congrats!

How many days did it take to reach you from the time you placed the order?

How about an update on the phone?
Old 5th June 2011, 02:24   #3650
BHPian

Galaxy 3 owners:-
After flashing many Custom ROM's I am sticking to kyrillos ROM,
I've found his Rom are best and easy to use, Also good thing about is, he offers good support, and fixes any bugs promptly.

Also after his ROM and tweak, I've been able to use the real A-GPS
which means quick satellite locking, smooth navigation and all without Data Network.
yes I am able to use GPS, even without a SIM Card in phone and I am loving the GPS.

Since last few months i was not carrying around my android, but Since I've tweaked the GPS, I am taking it places.
A
friend of mine who happens to own the most mouth watering android phone (HTC Desired HD) today says, he's not liking the Idea of not being Root on his device and not able to use GPS extensively without the Data Network, my phone looks cheap in front of desire HD, but GPS today made me proud owner.

So any Galaxy3 owners here want to run a 3rd party ROM, I would vote Kyrillos ROM for sure.
Old 5th June 2011, 09:56   #3651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanmehta View Post
World err internet is so small. Was always here but in dormant mode. Fellow BHPians dkaile is an android protagonist who owned one of the first Google Nexus One in India.
Welcome to Team-Bhp, Rajanmehta! Jumped here through the heads up at xda sgs2 general forum, but was active here for some time. Have often pointed t-bhp members to rimweb for deals in cdma!

Must point out that i was the first with Nexus One on rimweb forum!

Now the first with dual core LG Optimus 2x!

Friends, Dkaile and Rajanmehta are pillars of smartphone users groups in India! And very knowledgeable and approachable and helpful!
Old 5th June 2011, 14:20   #3652
BHPian

Need help!

Saw a HTC Nexus one for 14k on deals&you , is it a good deal?

What's the catch here?
Old 5th June 2011, 14:57   #3653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
Well considering that I bought the phone already I dino sincerely hope prices don't drop. No?
hi how about a nice review of your new phone.
i am deliberating bettern S2 and the HTC Sensation, with currently in HTCs favor, since I own an HTC currently and am quite happy with it. waiting for it to be launched.
Old 5th June 2011, 15:18   #3654
BHPian

I might need a new phone, in place of my X6, and will go in only for a droid.

I need -
*Decent battery backup.
*Decent Cam. which can shoot pics as good as my X6.
*Cost: not more than 12k. - Cheaper, the better.
*Reliable, easy to service.

Thats about it... I think the HTC wildfire is the most viable option. What do you guys say?
TIA.
Old 5th June 2011, 15:25   #3655
BHPian

Updated my Defy from CM7 to CM 7.1 RC0 (Thanks to @phamilyman for the moral support). Everything working fine so far. Major leap in the Quadrant scores. Very simple to update, takes about 30 mins. Steps followed to update are given below(From the xda forum).

1 Copy cm7.1.0-RC0-jordan-signed.zip, gapps-gb-20110307-signed.zip to your SD Card
2 Reboot and go to Bootmenu (wait for led turn blue then press Volume Down). Enter Recovery -> Custom Recovery
3 Select "wipe cache" then go to "advanced", select "wipe dalvik cache" and "wipe battery stats"
4 Go back, select "install zip from sdcard", "choose zip from sdcard", then select "cm7.1.0-RC0-jordan-signed.zip"
5. Select "choose zip from sdcard", then select "gapps-gb-20110307-signed.zip"
6. Reboot, Done

Ref: [FAQ] Cyanogenmod 7 by Quarx - xda-developers
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-download.jpg  

Old 5th June 2011, 17:05   #3656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I bet you must have spent the whole weekend twiddling with your new smart phone. Congrats!

How many days did it take to reach you from the time you placed the order?

How about an update on the phone?
Thanks, it feels great, very responsive and the screen resolution is very good. It looks smaller since the bezel is thin.
Haven't been able to pry to away from my Son who has spent the whole weekend playing games on it (different games than his Ipod).

Haven't decided when to root and install custom rom. Motorola should be providing a official Froyo update shortly.

It was shipped on 31st and reached me on 3rd.
Old 5th June 2011, 17:54   #3657

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezpo View Post
Need help!

Saw a HTC Nexus one for 14k on deals&you , is it a good deal?

What's the catch here?
It's imported and you don't get any warranty support in India except the claimed 6 month selling person's warranty which i fear will cease to exist once you have made the payment and received the phone. Pricing is par for the course. It's selling at similar price at many places. It's a good but not great price for a 2 year old pure google device (they get any android updates first).

Quote:
Haven't decided when to root and install custom rom. Motorola should be providing a official Froyo update shortly.
Rejoice. Motorola Offical Android 2.2 Update for Defy is already out.
PDF link for update https://rsddownload.motorola.com/dow...n.ASEAN.v8.pdf
Download Motorola Media Link For Windows Software for applying the update from here MOTOROLA MEDIA LINK for WINDOWS - Overview - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA
Download Actual 2.2 Update From Here Motorola - MOTODEFY - Mobile Phone Software Update - Motorola Singapore
rajanmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2011, 18:19   #3658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanmehta View Post
Rejoice. Motorola Offical Android 2.2 Update for Defy is already out.
PDF link for update https://rsddownload.motorola.com/dow...n.ASEAN.v8.pdf
Download Motorola Media Link For Windows Software for applying the update from here MOTOROLA MEDIA LINK for WINDOWS - Overview - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA
Download Actual 2.2 Update From Here Motorola - MOTODEFY - Mobile Phone Software Update - Motorola Singapore
-> Why bother with it when CM7 is there?
-> Why not an OTA upgrade instead of the media link? This bit is interesting.
Old 5th June 2011, 19:19   #3659
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
Updated my Defy from CM7 to CM 7.1 RC0 (Thanks to @phamilyman for the moral support). Everything working fine so far. Major leap in the Quadrant scores.
Ah, this is the next stable release I was talking about. Holy cow, the Quadrant score is going nuts there. What about battery performance, any improvement on longevity? What is new on this release?
Old 5th June 2011, 21:23   #3660
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
Updated my Defy from CM7 to CM 7.1 RC0 ==========
Major leap in the Quadrant scores. Very simple update
I also updated to RC0. As you said, very simple update. Worked like a charm.

Here is the quadrant score

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-snap20110605_211633.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Ah, this is the next stable release I was talking about. Holy cow, the Quadrant score is going nuts there. ...
Yeah, the Quadrant score is taking triple jumps here :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks