Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2024, 21:02   #32641
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Question about transferring Whatsapp to a new device.

I can follow the instructions. I've even done it before, with my new phone, just six months ago. But there is one thing I cannot remember or understand from the instructions: at what point do I take the SIM out of the old device and put it in the new one?

I have a feeling that I do it first thing. ???

This will complete my preparation of my wife's new Lenovo Tab M10 5g, replacing her old Tab M8.

Hoping to get it done tonight.
Click on backup now in whatsapp settings, then switch off the old device and take the sim out.
Then insert the sim in the new device and follow instructions for setting up whatsapp.

You may want to tick the 'include videos' too before clicking backup in whatsapp settings if you wish to retain the videos too. Make sure you have an email id connected to your whatsapp before everything.
Old 5th September 2024, 21:38   #32642
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
You need to put the SIM in the new device before starting the initial setup ...
Thank you very much

That's before starting the transfer function on the old device? I think it must be as the new device needs to sim to register to that number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
Click on backup now in whatsapp settings ...
Thanks. Will do a whatsapp backup, but I am not using that route for the transfer. Will use the device -> device transfer.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 5th September 2024 at 21:40.
Old 5th September 2024, 22:06   #32643
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks. Will do a whatsapp backup, but I am not using that route for the transfer. Will use the device -> device transfer.
Even with that, it is wiser to click backup now in whatsapp separately before moving forward.
With just the 'device transfer' in android some data loss is inevitable in whatsapp as it will restore only the last backed up data in the new device. Whatsapp automatically backs up data once a day, if settings are proper.

I even click backup now (google) in the old device just before starting setting up my new device.
Clicking backup now in Android and in whatsapp separately is crucial to avoid even any feeble chance of data loss, specially pics and videos.

Prevention is better than cure. It is all about android and whatsapp settings prior to using a new device. If settings are good, there will be no data loss at all.

Device transfer, transfers the pics and videos too to the new device even if they are not synced with the Google account. I never use Google sync for pics and videos because of the free limited storage of 15 GB.
Also, cloud sync of media files tends to deteriorate the quality of files imho. Debatable but why take chances.
Fuldagap is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2024, 08:08   #32644
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is what I normally do:

If transferring from iPhone to iPhone / Android to Android:
Do a WhatsApp backup (including videos). After the new phone is setup, insert the SIM in the new phone, open WhatsApp app, and select 'restore from backup'

If transferring from iPhone to Samsung/Pixel (or vice versa):
When starting the new device, follow the on-screen instructions. If the new phone is an iPhone, use the Move to iOS app, and if the new phone is a Samsung/Pixel, use the Smart Switch app or the native Android instructions, connect the cable and start the transfer. Once the transfer is fully done, and the message to disconnect the cable pop-up, I remove the SIM from the old device, insert into the new device, fire up the WhatsApp app and follow the on-screen instructions to import the chat.

In both the cases above I move the SIM at the end of the transfer. So far it has worked seamlessly.

Last edited by vb-saan : 6th September 2024 at 08:31.
vb-saan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th September 2024, 20:58   #32645
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks guys...

I got stuck in a back alley called "Set up as a companion device" for a while. Even after reinstals and deletions of files, it seemed to be the only choice. The unobvious option to register a fresh account (I forget the actual language) seemed just wrong but it tuned out that, having entered the phone number, I was immediately offered to transfer from the other device.

I did not time the process, but it took... a while. And stopped at 97%.

Since when was "Something went wrong" considered an even-vaguely useful error message?*

The next screen offered to restore from the backup. Phew, yes: I had done one immediately before starting, even though it the previous one was only a few hours old.

Anyway, the deed is done. What, if anything, is missing, won't be known until Mrs G looks for it is. At which point, it is as it is, complete or not. I looks OK.

*Microsoft started this sort of crap, as all their stuff is written on the basis that it can't possibly be their software that is wrong. It has continued as "Whoops!" looks nicer (in the view of some idiot consultant/designer) than a list of, for instance, missing files.

Hey ho... The world. It is as it is. I may often wish to be able to restore a previous version, but I can't
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2024, 05:40   #32646
Senior - BHPian

Picked up a One Plus 12 - 512gb(On recommendation of reignofchaos).

For those expecting feed back on the camera, you may want to skip reading cause I have not even tried using it. Camera quality for me is sort of second fiddle.

I was a happy camper with my Mi 9. Unfortunately the Android version was dated and a couple of key work apps stopped working as part of a Microsoft update that was soon to roll (We had an early release as a test). I must say, much to the flak Xiaomi usually gets for its products, my Mi 9 worked flawlessly. The phone remained super snappy and responsive even to this day and thats after 5 years of use. I could still get an entire day out of the battery. The only criticism I have is their useless MIUI. It intrudes into certain decisions the OS needs to make which is not cool. Take this out and you have a perfect device from a software stand point.

For the next phone, I decided it was to be another flagship device. The options in New Zealand are quite limited as far as flagship Android devices go. Kiwi's love their iOS devices. It was quite natural for me to consider the new Xiaomi 14 as the upgrade but that isn't sold here. Besides, I will need to put up with MIUI all over again. In fact, there is only one Asus phone sold (officially) that has Qualcomm's Snapdragon 8 Gen 3. I did not want a Samsung device and the S24 sold here comes with their own chip, which is okay as it stands. Not when put beside the Snapdragon chip.

Flipped to the usual You Tube for intel and then got in touch with reignofchaos who suggested the One Plus. Ordered it. Its an imported unit (From India). There is no official New Zealand support channel so if it croaks, I'm screwed. In any case, it was sold by a reputable ecommerce vendor based out of New Zealand so I was not worried about returns or anything.

The One Plus 12 is a larger and heavier phone compared to what I was using last so it did take some time getting used to the size. For now, the one stand out feature I find is the battery back up. The phone lasts 2 days on a charge, easily. I have not adjusted or fiddled with any power parameter to cut down energy use. Its all factory stock settings. I don't have to worry about charging it up either cause it takes less than 15 minutes to juice up to 80%! What more could you ask for. Its almost bone stock on Android so no nasty prompts or notifications. Some other highlights are the excellent screen resolution and on-board audio quality (my old Xiaomi was krapp and in mono). As is expected from a phone like this, it is snappy and fluid to use. Another stand out feature I find rather useful is the physical switch that allows you to go from ring to vibrate to all Silent. I forget that its there sometimes, being used to the old phone. No need to wake up the device to switch the phone to silent. Convenient.

If you are after a top of line Android device, the One Plus 12 is an eyes closed purchase.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2024, 09:59   #32647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

at what point do I take the SIM out of the old device and put it in the new one?
Specific to WhatsApp transfer - it does not matter. It does not matter if you didn't do it at all, did it as the first thing or somewhere in between.

WhatsApp needs access to the SIM only for UPI. You can delay activating UPI in WhatsApp till you are satisfied with everything else.
Old 11th September 2024, 10:15   #32648
Senior - BHPian

I just powered up my OP7P after 6 months and it's not booting up. Tried the Wipe Data option too. Even gave it to a local shop and he could not do anything. Told me to take it to the SC.

Any suggestions on what to do?
Old 11th September 2024, 18:40   #32649
Distinguished - BHPian

I nice that Reliance are selling Pixel 8 and 9 models. Does this mean that the Flipkart-exclusive deal with Google is over? Unfortunately they are not selling any models early than 8 series.

Last edited by vb-saan : 11th September 2024 at 18:47. Reason: A small typo
Old 11th September 2024, 21:56   #32650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9216 View Post
I have a few years old Lenovo TB-605L tab with 2GB RAM and 16GB storage. It has become slow...... Since no hardware enhancement is possible, I was wondering if I can flash the original stock ROM based on Android 8 to speed things up a bit. Problem is I can't locate a reliable source to get it from.
Why don't you try Hard Reset after taking data backup? We had Honor Tab which was bought for our daughter's online classes in 2020. Once (3-4 months ago) we forgot the pin for unlocking the screen. Then we hard reset it and it's working fine now.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 11th September 2024 at 22:23.
Old 12th September 2024, 02:04   #32651
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I nice that Reliance are selling Pixel 8 and 9 models. Does this mean that the Flipkart-exclusive deal with Google is over? Unfortunately they are not selling any models early than 8 series.
Oh! Interesting:-

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot-20240912-014428.png

Google.in.

Reliance and Chroma too
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2024, 11:41   #32652
Team-BHP Support

Facing an issue with Truecaller assistant.

Truecaller has come up with an assistant feature, something like iOS voicemail, but, it does not disconnect, means, if I miss a call and try to call back immediately, this feature will not let me call back or allow the caller to reconnect.

I have tried to switch it off (have uninstalled and reinstalled too) but...here is a screenshot. Shows as inactive, but continues to poke its nose. And it is becoming increasingly irritating.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20240916_212735_truecaller.jpg  

Old 18th September 2024, 14:37   #32653
BHPian

Hello there. I am planning to move back to Android after 3 years of exile. I moved out of Android with an iPhone sometime in August 2022 with the iPhone 13. While it's been a fun time with iOS, I find myself in a spot where it's gotten taxing. I really want sideloading and a file system I can work with and Apple isn't budging anytime. So, the only answer is to move out. For context, my family and peer circle is predominantly iOS centric but I am willing to risk it.

I have a few choices with notes about what I think about them, but I don't know what to aim at.

1. Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra(₹91,500): -

I love this phone and it's what I had in mind when I wanted to move back. But it's sharp corners and big frame just doesn't do it for me. Also, the large camera bump isn't something I am willing to pay extra for. I have a dedicated mirrorless camera if I wanted to take pictures and videos so.

2. OnePlus 12(₹58,990): -

Lovely phone but I abhor ColorOS. OxygenOS is sizeably different but it still has shades of ColorOS in it. I had a bad experience with Realme and I don't want to relive that. The hardware is good but that screen's a worry. I don't know how prevalent green-line issues are in the 12 but it's still scary.

3.Samsung Z Flip 5(₹92,990):-

A flip phone is also something I seriously considered (especially with the Z Flip 6's launch) but the reliability quotient is something I am worried about. Plus the charging speed is a question and a half.

4. Samsung Galaxy S24 Plus(₹94,990): -

Second priority choice for me. I love it's goldilocks size. And the Plus model has a QHD panel which is something that I am interested in. But I don't agree with the prices. Maybe when the S25 series comes out and this gets discounted?

5. Google Pixel 8 (₹68,999): -

Standard-cut option I have feelings for, especially after seeing how Google's the closest knit ecosystem we have after Samsung and Apple. But it's not available in-store which is a downer.

My usecase is mostly university centric so that involves talking to people on text, class submissions, assignments, social media and whatnot. Gaming isn't priority number one for me so I don't mind sacrificing a few FPS here and there for an overall nice experience. Please help me decide.
Old 18th September 2024, 14:41   #32654
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnysaltbrick View Post
5. Google Pixel 8 (₹68,999): -

Standard-cut option I have feelings for, especially after seeing how Google's the closest knit ecosystem we have after Samsung and Apple. But it's not available in-store which is a downer.
I would suggest the Pixel 9 series (regular or the Pro models). Its like an iPhone made by Google.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2024, 14:50   #32655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-saan View Post
I would suggest the Pixel 9 series (regular or the Pro models). Its like an iPhone made by Google.
The 9 series does look interesting.....how is Google's Android skin like and does it still have that free storage for Google Photos plan?

Also can we do cable-to-cable data transfer? Also how is Android Auto in comparison to Apple Carplay wrt infotainment simplicity?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks