Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2024, 09:25   #32626
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

My current Samsung phone has a micro-USB port, while the Samsung phone that I'll upgrade to, has Type-C port.

I haven't seen micro-USB to Type-C cables anywhere.

Is there a way to use Smart Switch then?
Old 4th September 2024, 09:44   #32627

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Once you get used to a Flip phone's compact size, it is hard to get back to a regular rectangular phone. My Samsung Flip 3 was 3 years old; while the phone was working perfectly fine, it was looking terribly outdated. So upgraded to the Flip 6 in the Silver Shadow colour. Wow, the new phone looks fantastic & is extremely stylish .

Congratulations on your new phone gto! But 14k for a 3 year old flip 3 sounds a little unfair doesn't it?
Rtn777 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 09:50   #32628
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govardhansupra View Post
My current Samsung phone has a micro-USB port, while the Samsung phone that I'll upgrade to, has Type-C port.

Very few things which Amazon does not sell. Link
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 09:54   #32629
BHPian

Quote:

Micro usb to C cable and adapters are easily available there:

Micro USB to Type C cables and adopters

Last edited by tbppjpr : 4th September 2024 at 09:56.
tbppjpr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 10:00   #32630
BHPian

Quote:

Having recently upgraded to a Samsung M55 from a Samsung M01, I used the wireless method of Smart switch. So there's no need to buy new cables . And it'll transfer all the data within half an hour . On the main screen after selecting send or receive data, select the wireless option. Attaching a screenshot. Hope this helps .
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20240904_095810_smart-switch.png  

Mitadru is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 11:01   #32631
BHPian

Quote:
Once you get used to a Flip phone's compact size, it is hard to get back to a regular rectangular phone. My Samsung Flip 3 was 3 years old; while the phone was working perfectly fine, it was looking terribly outdated.
How do you rate the durability of modern flip phones? Have you ever had to replace the inner flexible screen in your flip 3? Flip 6 should be even more durable and since the cover screen is much bigger, you don't have to open the phone for everything. I also love that we can slip it into the shirt pocket without the phone sticking out.
Joe367 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 11:08   #32632
BHPian

Can anyone share how the GST credit work and how it can be claimed when buying electronics/other office items?

I have a relative who recently got a GST number because he now works as a consultant for his old organisation.
He didn't even know it was possible to claim GST credit for these things.

Would be nice if someone could jot down all the steps involved right from buying to finally claiming it and things to keep in mind while doing so
ZenMaster is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 19:04   #32633
BHPian

I don't know where this question belongs but here it is. Yesterday I updated by S23 Ultra to the latest software that Samsung pushes every month or so. Since than I find that the phone doesn't connect with my X5 BMW via bluetooth and Android Auto. Its a known problem as my old S21 and BMW X3 also stopped communicating for 4 to 5 months till the Samsung update fixed it. How do I get back my connectivity? I can't stream music nor use the phone which is essential for me. And how do I prevent it in the future?

Samsung really disappoints with these updates where they can't get a basic thing like BT right on their updates.

Any help will be appreciated.
abs182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 19:38   #32634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
Since than I find that the phone doesn't connect with my X5 BMW via bluetooth and Android Auto. Its a known problem as my old S21 and BMW X3 also stopped communicating for 4 to 5 months till the Samsung update fixed it. How do I get back my connectivity?
Any help will be appreciated.
Have you tired re-pairing the bluetooth with the car?
subie_socal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 20:27   #32635
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But it is there! One can do it by restoring from Android backup on google, or by wire/wifi.

Whatsapp has it's own system for getting its data from the old device.
I vaguely remember restoring from the Google Backup once. It was perhaps 75% there (not sure though). Samsung Smart Switch is 90% there. On the other hand, my girl's iPhone or my own Windows / Macbooks can be restored 100% from the image backups. Like 100% with all settings, shortcuts etc. Android really has to work on this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtn777 View Post
Congratulations on your new phone gto! But 14k for a 3 year old flip 3 sounds a little unfair doesn't it?
The best offer I saw online was from Cashify for "upto" 18k. I didn't want 1-on-1 dealings with OLX buyers etc. Maybe I could have gotten 5k more, but the effort & headache wasn't worth it. Time is money, right .

Samsung gave me 24k for my old phone, but you could choose just one offer (24K for the phone or 15K HDFC Credit Card discount).

Am a gujju and do my calculations well . For us, net cost or net income is everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitadru View Post
Having recently upgraded to a Samsung M55 from a Samsung M01, I used the wireless method of Smart switch. So there's no need to buy new cables . And it'll transfer all the data within half an hour . On the main screen after selecting send or receive data, select the wireless option.
This Wireless option is awesome if you have a smaller amount of data to transfer. With my 120 - 140 GB, it was showing an insane amount of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe367 View Post
How do you rate the durability of modern flip phones? Have you ever had to replace the inner flexible screen in your flip 3? Flip 6 should be even more durable and since the cover screen is much bigger, you don't have to open the phone for everything. I also love that we can slip it into the shirt pocket without the phone sticking out.
The screen is built to last. No issues at all. The screen protectors, on the other hand, my God. The OEM Samsung screenguard lasted 12-16 months. Every screenguard fitted after that (even from the Samsung store) lasted 3 - 6 months tops & showed horrible creases thereafter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Can anyone share how the GST credit work and how it can be claimed when buying electronics/other office items?
It's extremely simple. Take a bill in your company name with company GST number. With no effort, next month, you will see the input credit reflecting on the GST portal (if you have purchased from a reputable vendor). A phone is a work tool and the government agrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
I don't know where this question belongs but here it is. Yesterday I updated by S23 Ultra to the latest software that Samsung pushes every month or so.
Golden rule with Samsungs is that, you don't update the OS software once you find one that works well. I didn't update my Flip3 in two years and it worked like a charm. Zero bugs. I faced too many issues with Samsung's software updates. Every new update came with its own niggles & bugs (like new Tata cars).

Last edited by GTO : 4th September 2024 at 23:49.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 21:46   #32636
BHPian

Quote:
Samsung gave me 24k for my old phone, but you could choose just one offer (24K for the phone or 15K HDFC Credit Card discount).

Am a gujju and do my calculations well . For us, net cost or net income is everything.
The logic, please? Did not understand how it integrates to net cost/income
Old 4th September 2024, 21:54   #32637
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
my girl's iPhone or my own Windows / Macbooks can be restored 100% from the image backups. Like 100% with all settings, shortcuts etc. Android really has to work on this!
Well, yes, now I come to think of it, this is expected in the computer world, even with MS, who gave the world the concept of re-installing to attempt to fix problems.

Even my all-free Linux system will almost always upgrade in place, and it could be shifted to another machine and work.

Windows never was shiftable in that way. The hardware configuration was built into the licensing. Has that changed?
Old 4th September 2024, 22:11   #32638
BHPian

Quote:
1. I vaguely remember restoring from the Google Backup once. It was perhaps 75% there (not sure though). Samsung Smart Switch is 90% there. On the other hand, my girl's iPhone or my own Windows / Macbooks can be restored 100% from the image backups. Like 100% with all settings, shortcuts etc. Android really has to work on this!
Whenever i have bought an android phone, it is really seamless and easy to transfer the old phone's data to the new one if using the same email id for both devices.

I keep extra steps for whatsapp ready though. Just that and rest is fine. Never lost any data anywhere. The new phone seems different just because of the newer android version, rest of the things like settings, apps and even the wallpaper restores. Data is transferred too without loss. The speed of transfer is crazy if NFC is involved. It happens over wifi without cables. Data is used very less for just the data transfer.

However, if one relies on the data backup through only Google Backup then only the data till the last sync would reflect on the new device.

Have never used IOS, but android is there since day one. Is effortless too.
My transfers have mostly been from a Motorola to a new Motorola.

Last edited by Fuldagap : 4th September 2024 at 22:12.
Fuldagap is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2024, 20:46   #32639
Distinguished - BHPian

Question about transferring Whatsapp to a new device.

I can follow the instructions. I've even done it before, with my new phone, just six months ago. But there is one thing I cannot remember or understand from the instructions: at what point do I take the SIM out of the old device and put it in the new one?

I have a feeling that I do it first thing. ???

This will complete my preparation of my wife's new Lenovo Tab M10 5g, replacing her old Tab M8.

Hoping to get it done tonight.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2024, 20:53   #32640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Question about transferring Whatsapp to a new device.
at what point do I take the SIM out of the old device and put it in the new one?
You need to put the SIM in the new device before starting the initial setup, but make sure everything is backed up perfectly in the old device before proceeding. Also make sure you remember the old device password/patterns which maybe be asked at the time of data restoration in the new device.
tbppjpr is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks