Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2024, 18:01   #32551
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I have a Samsung S22 and it always on. The other day it went off cause the battery died and now I do not remember the Pin. Anyway to recover it ?

1. I have my finger print registered but it does not prompt for fingerprint on switching on the phone.
2. I remember the gmail password associated with this phone. Any use ?
3. Samsung account's remote unlocking is disabled.

Meanwhile, I tried quite a few Pins and the wait time to try again has increased to 4 hours now. I am worried that anymore tries and the phone might Auto factory reset. I am not sure if that option is enabled or not.

Last edited by abhisheksircar : 29th July 2024 at 18:02.
Old 29th July 2024, 19:51   #32552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheksircar View Post
The other day it went off cause the battery died and now I do not remember the Pin. Anyway to recover it ?
Most likely, you will have to do a factory reset if you can't remember your PIN. Unfortunately, this means you might lose your data.

You can reset your phone by pressing the Power and Volume Down buttons for 7 to 10 seconds. Check the article https://www.isumsoft.com/android/fac...is-locked.html if it helps.

Otherwise try calling Samsung Customer Care, and they should be able to help you with the reset.
Old 30th July 2024, 05:37   #32553
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Magic View Post
Most likely, you will have to do a factory reset if you can't remember your PIN. Unfortunately, this means you might lose your data.

You can reset your phone by pressing the Power and Volume Down buttons for 7 to 10 seconds. Check the article https://www.isumsoft.com/android/fac...is-locked.html if it helps.

Otherwise try calling Samsung Customer Care, and they should be able to help you with the reset.
As rightly pointed out, all of the easier methods involve easing of data and/or reset, if you know a skilled technician, he can get it unlocked without the PIN, but no one takes that route nowadays.

You can try this to see if it works:
bijims is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 07:16   #32554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a Samsung S22 and it always on. The other day it went off cause the battery died and now I do not remember the Pin.
I do not have any suggestion to offer but I am unable to understand this implementation of pin. Earlier I used a Mi phone and now a Pixel. Both of them prompt to unlock using pin every 3 days. No chance of forgetting it. Seems a bad implementation on Samsung's part .
shipnil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 07:22   #32555
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I do not have any suggestion to offer but I am unable to understand this implementation of pin. Earlier I used a Mi phone and now a Pixel. Both of them prompt to unlock using pin every 3 days. No chance of forgetting it. Seems a bad implementation on Samsung's part .
This is true, even the OnePlus-Oppo-Realme-Vivo-iQOO range of phones asks to enter a pin to unlock every 72 hours, I just didn't know Samsung never had this implementation.
Old 30th July 2024, 07:35   #32556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
I just didn't know Samsung never had this implementation.
My Samsung phone does ask for pin every few days. I have not figured out the pattern when it asks, whether it is 72 hours or not, but it does.
Old 30th July 2024, 07:41   #32557
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
My Samsung phone does ask for pin every few days. I have not figured out the pattern when it asks, whether it is 72 hours or not, but it does.
I was thinking this "asking a PIN every 72 hours or a few days" was a feature built into Android and all phones had it, since yours asks for it, I wonder what happened in the OP's case. As per my knowledge, This is part of Android’s security protocol to ensure that the device is being used by its rightful owner
Old 30th July 2024, 08:12   #32558
Distinguished - BHPian

My son put in a pattern pin on his phone which was quite random, based on his state of mind at that time.
Then went on to forget it. This was a redmi.

I tried everything possible but in the end had to reset it. Even after that, it asked for me to login with the parent account to release the phone after reset. So hope seems bleak.
May be this was just due to using family link.

However, phones asking for pin every few days, I can also concur on that across 3 androids and an ipad.

Edit : could it be that OP has a sim lock?

Last edited by mayankk : 30th July 2024 at 08:13.
Old 30th July 2024, 08:59   #32559
Senior - BHPian

Looking to buy a phone for my mum (senior citizen) and considering the Redmi 13 5G (link)

Couldn't find any reviews online.

Any feedback from the experts here? Previous phone was also a redmi so want to stick with the same brand as there will be no challenges in adapting to a different brand's UI.

I reckon the 6GB + 128 GB variant would suffice but going by the price difference of INR 1500/-, the 8GB variant makes more sense.

Looking forward to buying it within the next couple of days so please help me decide if this is a good phone to purchase. Thanks in advance folks
Old 30th July 2024, 09:37   #32560
BHPian

Thank you everyone. After painstakingly going through hours of wait time to try different pins, the phone finally unlocked. It took 12 hours for the whole process. There should be a forgot password/pin, gmail linked password override or something to handle such situations. Anyway, thank you for your insights. A big relief to have the phone back in control.
abhisheksircar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 10:44   #32561
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Looking to buy a phone for my mum (senior citizen) and considering the Redmi 13 5G (link)

Couldn't find any reviews online.

Any feedback from the experts here? Previous phone was also a redmi so want to stick with the same brand as there will be no challenges in adapting to a different brand's UI.

I reckon the 6GB + 128 GB variant would suffice but going by the price difference of INR 1500/-, the 8GB variant makes more sense.

Looking forward to buying it within the next couple of days so please help me decide if this is a good phone to purchase. Thanks in advance folks
Go for the Poco M6 Plus 5G launching on August 1, it is a clone to the Redmi 13 5G with same UI and features but will cost less.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 12:07   #32562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Even my CMF (Nothing) Phone 1 asks me to unlock by PIN every 72 hours! I wonder why Samsung hasn't added this feature!?
Old 30th July 2024, 12:11   #32563
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you everyone. After painstakingly going through hours of wait time to try different pins, the phone finally unlocked. It took 12 hours for the whole process. There should be a forgot password/pin, gmail linked password override or something to handle such situations. Anyway, thank you for your insights. A big relief to have the phone back in control.
That's the way it is. For good reason too.
It is next to impossible for a normal user to unlock an android after forgetting the PIN/Password/Pattern.

It is similar to forgetting the Bitlocker password/key. Unless the same is stored safely elsewhere. Like written down on a piece of paper and stored in a cupboard.

Bitlocker keys are also synced to the cloud if opted so. With android that too is not an option. Making alternative options to getting inside an android only furthers compromising safety of the device.
Fuldagap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 13:00   #32564
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Looking to buy a phone for my mum (senior citizen)

I got a Samsung M35 5G for similar requirements at 15K odd with card discount and exchange. For their (senior citizens) use pattern (calls, WhatsApp & You-Tube), I found it to be good.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 15:12   #32565
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Glad you got back in. Easy to say in retrospect, but write it down, obviously somewhere that you do not carry around with your phone.

No there probably should not be an over-ride, especially these days of keeping payment apps on the phone. For those who do not have such apps on their phone, that may insist on phone lock before they will work, using one's phone without any lock is always an option. I did just that until just a few years ago.

Android techies: can the phone file systems be accessed using adb when it it pin-locked? Or would that be just a too-easy loophole in the security I have just being saying is very necessary.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks