Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2024, 13:49   #32536
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Thank you @ Thad & @nibedk.

@ Thad - yes - I too have an aversion to buying things on Flipkart, moreover due to reasons best known to Flipkart, they is not able to reset / restart my account with my mobile number until I send them them my adhaar copy!!

@nibedk - Thank you for your valuable inputs, seems like the pixel 8 seems to be the best bet for me and hopefully the prices will come down and I double hope, till that time my Nokia is still breathing
I also do not want to go for an iPhone as in my opinion ( I am not an expert though) I feel the OS is very cumbersome / outdated / difficult to navigate - all in the name of security?!!! (my wife has an iPhone),
also iPhones do not have the Microsoft SMS manager - the BEST app on an android phone.
Sunil@KA25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2024, 23:02   #32537
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil@KA25 View Post
I am myself using a Nokia 8.1 from the last 6 and 1/2 years which is running on stock android and still going strong / excellent for my usage,(calls, WhatsApp, maps and photos) a replacement (not original) battery 6 months ago killed my urge for an upgrade!! A couple of images from my Nokia 8.1 with Gcam installed (images during my recent trip to Tirumala) is making me lean towards the pixels.
I used to have Nokia 8 and I really loved it's in-hand metal feel. It was ultra-light and ultra-slim. Camera was not great in low light conditions though, but GCam app mostly fixed that problem. Sadly, despite changing battery, charge on the phone used to drop rapidly to zero from 50% and was forced to get rid of it.

Don't be too fixated on "stock android". I think it is overrated. You can hide/uninstall smartphone brand apps. And to get the stock android "feel", you can always download these Google apps from Playstore:

- Google Contacts
- Phone by Google
- Google Messages
- Google Calculator
- Google Assistant
- Google Clock
- Google Wallpapers
- Files by Google
- Google Fit
- Google Lens

My Samsung phone home screen:

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20240706_230013_one-ui-home.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 6th July 2024 at 23:09.
SmartCat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2024, 05:58   #32538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
You can hide/uninstall smartphone brand apps.
Hide, Yes. But Unintsall, No.

Samsung and also Google doesn't allow you to uninstall some of their brand apps. I have tried hard uninstalling few of the brand apps like 'Google Meet', 'Samsung Shop' to no avail on my A52.
JMaruru is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 14:23   #32539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Hide, Yes. But Unintsall, No.

Samsung and also Google doesn't allow you to uninstall some of their brand apps. I have tried hard uninstalling few of the brand apps like 'Google Meet', 'Samsung Shop' to no avail on my A52.
You can do it via computer or laptop, via Android Debugger, but need to be careful on dependency apps.
Old 9th July 2024, 07:46   #32540
Oxy
BHPian

Nothing CMF Phone 1 launched at an effective price of ₹15,000. Price looks attractive on paper but it has:

1. No charger in the box
2. No ultrawide camera
3. No 4K video recording support from both front and rear cameras
4. No NFC
5. No dual stereo speakers
6. Base variant has only 6GB RAM instead of 8 GB.

I think the upcoming Moto G85 will offer all of the above (except maybe NFC) at a similar price point so it would make sense to wait for that (supposed to come tomorrow).
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 11:11   #32541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Nothing CMF Phone 1 launched at an effective price of ₹15,000. Price looks attractive on paper but it has:

1. No charger in the box
2. No ultrawide camera
3. No 4K video recording support from both front and rear cameras
4. No NFC
5. No dual stereo speakers
6. Base variant has only 6GB RAM instead of 8 GB.

I think the upcoming Moto G85 will offer all of the above (except maybe NFC) at a similar price point so it would make sense to wait for that (supposed to come tomorrow).
Only problem with Motorola - no timely updates, whereas Nothing has been really proactive with updates!

That's the major reason I'm going to be picking up the CMF Phone 1. Also CMF Phone 1 supports 4K 30FPS video recording.

If Motorola had been proactive with timely updates, then I would have gotten an Edge 50 Fusion or so!
Old 12th July 2024, 15:40   #32542
BHPian

Cred app heavily draining phone battery in background

I've been using Cred for a while, but since a couple of days my phone battery is discharging faster than usual.
The battery check revealed CRED as a big culprit. I cannot understand why it needs soo much background process compared to other active background services.

I tried reaching out to Cred chat and helpline but no response.
I fear limiting background process might hamper app usage as it won't be able to check sms for the bills.

Can other CRED users here please check your phones and let me know if it's showing the same behavior?
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20240712_152719_device-care.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20240712_153917_device-care.jpg  

Old 12th July 2024, 17:21   #32543
BHPian

Re: Cred app heavily draining phone battery in background

Remove all its permissions. Especially network/wifi usage. It will settle down.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 23:39   #32544
Oxy
BHPian

Looking to buy a phone for parents (75 year old seniors).

Within 20k. Main requirement is content consumption so an Amoled display and dual stereo speakers is a must have. Also should have decent battery life and minimum 8gb RAM. Don't care about camera, processor or software updates. Also a clean software experience is important, so no bloatware. And should not have a curved screen.

Is the Moto G84 still available? Any other reasonable options?
Old 16th July 2024, 05:12   #32545
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:

Within 20k. Main requirement is content consumption so an Amoled display and dual stereo speakers is a must have. Also should have decent battery life and minimum 8gb RAM. Don't care about camera, processor or software updates. Also a clean software experience is important, so no bloatware. And should not have a curved screen.

You could also consider the OnePlus Nord CE 4 lite 5G and the POCO X6, bOTH HAVE AMOLED displays, stereo speakers, snapdragon chipsets, excellent battery life and at least 8 GB RAM in their sub 20k models, bloatware is limited and even the few apps that come preinstalled can be deleted in both phones (apart from their proprietary OnePlus and Poco App)
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 14:08   #32546
BHPian

Any Motorola Edge 40 owners here? Have you been able to find a screen guard and / or a good case for this phone? If yes, please share details.
TIA
Old 19th July 2024, 09:53   #32547
Distinguished - BHPian

Google has teased the pixel 9 series ahead of its unveil on 14th August.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20240719_095132.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20240719_095151.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2024, 10:20   #32548
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
Any Motorola Edge 40 owners here? Have you been able to find a screen guard and / or a good case for this phone? If yes, please share details.
TIA
I use this screen guard and case

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0CBSFTVTK?...fed_asin_title
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0C...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The tempered glass fitment is not perfect. There are air bubbles at the edges where the display is curved. I do not know if there is a different way to install the tempered glass for curved displays.

But since the phone does not have any kind of Gorilla glass, some sort of tempered glass is a must!
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2024, 17:32   #32549
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:

Had purchased a Oneplus Nord CE 3 for my wife three months ago and she's extremely happy with the phone. Checked Amazon and saw it listed for 19k so decided to buy that itself for my parents.

I like to compare prices on various platforms before making the purchase so thought of checking it's price on the Oneplus India website, and was surprised to see that they have removed it's listing from there, so it appears to have been discontinued.

Does it still make sense to buy it from Amazon? Of course the Nord CE 4 is available and the Nord 4 can be pre-booked starting tomorrow as well, but I feel those will be an overkill for parents.

Last edited by Oxy : 19th July 2024 at 17:35.
Old 19th July 2024, 18:08   #32550
BHPian

Quote:

Moto G85 has been launched recently. Can be ordered from Flipkart.
If you are thinking G84 then G85 makes sense given that it is the better version of G84.
The processors of both are just different mostly in marketing terms.

G85 has a much better camera. And it is quite cheap compared to rivals. Comes with top notch quality inside and outside in the price bracket.

Motos are far cleaner than their Chinese counterparts.

Last edited by Fuldagap : 19th July 2024 at 18:10.
Fuldagap is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks