Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2021, 11:58   #30631
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
The 4G version has just been announced at a price of Rs 22k, with an additional 1.5k early bird discount thrown in (for the 128gb variant). Considering the Redmi Note 10 Pro 128gb that comes with the same SD732 chipset costs 17.5k, this commands a good 3k premium over it. The Moto G40 Fusion also has the same chipset and costs 16.5k, but is considerably heavier at 225g.

Not sure if I should spend this much for ergonomics alone, it just doesn't feel value for money though I believe it's a huge achievement to create a phone this slim and lightweight.
Am confused too. The price is a tad high, but that is not my beef. I don't feel like replacing a SD855 (Oneplus 7) with an inferior SD732. I don't think they would release the 5G version here anytime soon. They have released it only in a few countries. Even Europe and Middle East get the 4G version only.

Maybe I'd go on a limp and buy one, and if I don't like it give it to my son for his games. But if he gets lucky, he'd get my Oneplus 7 which will be able to handle his games better.

BTW, an LG V30 is 158g, has a QHD screen, proper water resistance and costs 10-15K in OLX. Drawbacks are 4GB ram and no more OS updates.
Old 23rd June 2021, 21:01   #30632
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Am confused too. The price is a tad high, but that is not my beef. I don't feel like replacing a SD855 (Oneplus 7) with an inferior SD732.
Same here, but having said that I really don't need a SD8xx series processor for my usage. It's only useful if one is into playing heavy games, and I don't use my phone for gaming at all.

Overall 3k discount brings the price down to 19k, which doesn't sound too bad. Seriously thinking of taking the plunge.
Old 24th June 2021, 11:28   #30633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I usually consult that site for specs, although I had not thought to do that comparison.

Even so, they give the diagonal, the pixels * pixels, and the aspect ratio.

Wondering: if one knows the diagonal and the ratio, is there a formula to deduce the length of the two sides? Numerate people can do a huge amount with right-angle triangles --- but I am a number dumbo <blush>
Back in the 16:9 days, size comparisons were quite easy.

We had

5 inch compact phones (Pixel 1)
5.2 inch mid size phones (Nexus 5X)
5.5 inch large phones (Oneplus One to Oneplus 5)
5.7 inch xtra large (Nexus 6P)

Then came the 18:9 phones

The conversion was easy. Just add ~0.5 inch to the original sizes

So,

5" phones became 5.5" (Pixel 3)
5.2 became 5.7
5.5 became 6 inch (Oneplus 5T)
5.7 became 6.2

And then came the notches and there was mayhem. We got all sorts of aspect ratios. 19:9, 19.5:9, 20:9 and several odd ones.

But at 20:9 the calc is a tad easy

The 5.7 inch phones became 6.2 inches (Galaxy S21)
The 6 inch phones became 6.55 inches. (Oneplus 9)
The 6.2 inch phones became ~6.7 inches (Oneplus 9 pro)

In a nutshell

At every jump from 16:9 to 18:9 to 20:9, the diagonal size jumped by approximately half an inch.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 11:32   #30634
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there a way to recover password for a locked android phone?

My neighbor's father passed away last week. His android phone is locked and no one in the family knows the pattern/pin for the lock screen. The family wants to know if there is anyway they can recover the passcode so that they can gain access to contacts and other stuff. They also want to inform about his demise to his contacts many of whom are not aware of him passing since it was sudden.
Old 24th June 2021, 16:20   #30635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
My neighbor's father passed away last week. His android phone is locked and no one in the family knows the pattern/pin for the lock screen.
I'm sorry for your loss. I guess... if there was an easy way around the passcode, then passcodes would be useless.

People should realise that this is a serious issue. Personally, I think that a spouse, for instance, ought to be trusted with passcodes, passwords, etc, but that is for each person to decide. At least, keep them in a sealed envelope that others can access if the worst happens.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 16:25   #30636
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm sorry for your loss. I guess... if there was an easy way around the passcode, then passcodes would be useless.

People should realise that this is a serious issue. Personally, I think that a spouse, for instance, ought to be trusted with passcodes, passwords, etc, but that is for each person to decide. At least, keep them in a sealed envelope that others can access if the worst happens.
I understand that having a way to get the passcode defeats the whole purpose of having them in first place.

The family is not looking for a illegal/workaround . They were asking if they can contact Google via some means with proof of his death and that the phone belongs to him. Then would Google oblige to unlock the phone from their end. Something via proper channel, if it exists.
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 16:44   #30637
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Am confused too. The price is a tad high, but that is not my beef. I don't feel like replacing a SD855 (Oneplus 7) with an inferior SD732.
Ended up ordering the Realme 7 Pro (Sunkissed Orange Leather Edition) for 15k after a lot of contemplating. Things that it offers over the Mi 11 Lite for 4k less are:

1. 65W fast charging
2. Expandable storage
3. Headphone jack
4. Sony sensor on the main camera
5. Night mode on the wide angle camera
6. Realme UI (should be better than MIUI)

Things I will miss on the Mi 11 Lite:

1. A lesser weight of 25g in comparison
2. IR blaster
3. 10 bit display (vs 8 bit super amoled)
4. 732g processor (vs 720g on the realme)
5. 90hz refresh rate

Appeared to be a decent tradeoff.

Let me know what you end up with.
Old 26th June 2021, 00:45   #30638
BHPian

Quote:

Let me know what you end up with.
I gave in to the temptation and pre-ordered the 6 gig version with an old nokia in exchange.

Since it is a pre-order I have a week's time to decide whether to go ahead with the purchase.

Meanwhile I have another temptress in the IQOO Z3. Alluring are its LCD display (am not a fan of OLED) and the SD768, not to mention the presence of 5G.
Old 26th June 2021, 01:21   #30639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile I have another temptress in the IQOO Z3. Alluring are its LCD display (am not a fan of OLED) and the SD768, not to mention the presence of 5G.
Not very good real world feedback on this phone at least from online reviews. So be aware before you make the switch. You can check out reviews from Beebom on youtube where they have called out some of its real issues with software and such.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 19:02   #30640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Not very good real world feedback on this phone at least from online reviews. So be aware before you make the switch. You can check out reviews from Beebom on Youtube where they have called out some of its real issues with software and such.
Yes, the screen design is archaic with the waterdrop notch and the thick chin. But screen quality seems OK. I like it only because it is one of the lightest phones with an LCD. Anyway, that was a short infatuation and am past that now. I even had a short fascination for the POCO X3 Pro. Terrific package that is, except for the heft.

Despite being a pre-order the MI 11 lite shipped the very next day, and I have warmed up to it better now. I hope it lives up to the expectations.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 08:44   #30641

Hi all,

I'm using a OnePlus 7,6 gb ram version. As we all know after the android 11 update, the phone is crippled due to the various bugs. The ram consumption on my phone has increased due to the update though using more ram is a good sign but the phone is not keeping any apps in the background and reloads almost 95% of the recent apps. I'm thinking of replacing it with pixel 4a as 5a launch seems to be far away. Any thoughts or alternatives?
Old 30th June 2021, 09:01   #30642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayyam.gaur58 View Post
Hi all,

I'm using a OnePlus 7,6 gb ram version. As we all know after the android 11 update, the phone is crippled due to the various bugs. The ram consumption on my phone has increased due to the update though using more ram is a good sign but the phone is not keeping any apps in the background and reloads almost 95% of the recent apps. I'm thinking of replacing it with pixel 4a as 5a launch seems to be far away. Any thoughts or alternatives?
I am on Android 11 beta 5 on my Oneplus 7 and it is very stable. Maybe you should try the beta channel before going for a replacement.
Old 30th June 2021, 19:14   #30643
Senior - BHPian

I was considering buying the Samsung M31S a few weeks ago as my Moto X4 was giving problems with charging. Postponed the decision as I thought it was sorted. Now it is playing up again and the M32 has been released.
The M32 is the same price as the M31S.
Is it worth getting at around 16000?
I'll give one shot at cleaning the charging port again and if it doesn't work, will have to buy the phone this week.
Old 30th June 2021, 19:27   #30644
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Despite being a pre-order the MI 11 lite shipped the very next day, and I have warmed up to it better now. I hope it lives up to the expectations.
Great! How's the 10-bit display?

I ended up cancelling my Realme 7 Pro order as buying an year old phone that won't be getting further updates didn't feel right. I think I will patiently wait for the right phone now.
Old 1st July 2021, 09:16   #30645
BHPian

Quote:
Great! How's the 10-bit display?

I ended up cancelling my Realme 7 Pro order as buying an year old phone that won't be getting further updates didn't feel right. I think I will patiently wait for the right phone now.
Nothing great. The OnePlus 7 display has better colors and is crispier than the so called 10 bit display in the 11 lite. I did a side by side comparison after playing the same video in both phones.

After all a flagship is a flagship and a midrange is just that.

The MIUI is better looking than stock android although the settings app is a mess. Too many customisation options, many of them do not make any sense. All stock android apps for phone, messaging, contacts etc. But then, in dark mode they look a tad out of place cos they are all grey, not black.

I think I would give it to my son and continue with the OnePlus 7. He is struggling with all the games in the MI A2. I was hoping the OP 7 would be the ideal gaming phone for him, but looks like he is not in luck.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks