Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2020, 16:56   #29476
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Which network are you on? OnePlus 6 does support WiFi calling.

You don't see the below options in Settings > WiFi & Internet > SIM & Network?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
My wife's Oneplus 6T didn't have the feature until we updated to Android 10. After the update i can see the wifi calling feature and have enabled it. The SIM is Airtel.

According to Airtel website Oneplus 6 is also supported.

Can you please recheck. Update the software if any update is available.
Thanks, checked now and its there so have enabled it. Previously, in the setting page, I just searched for "Wifi call" and no results came up. I should have searched for "Wi-Fi call".

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd January 2020 at 17:07. Reason: Broken quote tags.
Old 23rd January 2020, 17:50   #29477
Senior - BHPian

On my Galaxy A8+, Android 9, all I have is an app, "Wi-Fi calling". Nothing in settings. But I'm on BSNL, no VoLTE. Cant find a setting for VoLTE too. Do the menu entries show up only on LTE networks?
Old 23rd January 2020, 17:56   #29478
Senior - BHPian

Am using Nokia 6.1 plus since Nov,2018. Phone was pretty good for the price(14,999INR) for 1st year. But after recent android 10 update it has started acting up a bit. Specially while charging if I try to operate it hangs at times . Anybody else facing similar issue with this model?

Memory is 40-50% free always. I usually stick to a particular model for 3 years but doubt this one would last even 2 years

Last edited by SoumenD : 23rd January 2020 at 17:58.
Old 23rd January 2020, 18:07   #29479
BHPian

Replaced a Samsung On5 at home as it was getting 3 years old and had served it's duty. Got Samsung M30 in sale, the super amoled display was simply irresistible at Rs.8500.
Old 23rd January 2020, 18:59   #29480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
On my Galaxy A8+, Android 9, all I have is an app, "Wi-Fi calling". Nothing in settings. But I'm on BSNL, no VoLTE. Cant find a setting for VoLTE too. Do the menu entries show up only on LTE networks?
Currently only 2 Indian operators support Voice over WiFi aka Wifi Calling - Airtel and Jio. If you're on BSNL it won't work.
Old 23rd January 2020, 19:27   #29481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Am using Nokia 6.1 plus since Nov,2018. Phone was pretty good for the price(14,999INR) for 1st year.
Memory is 40-50% free always. I usually stick to a particular model for 3 years but doubt this one would last even 2 years
I have a Nokia 6.1 plus as well and got it for a steal price of 4800 INR. Mine too is on Android 10 but I have not faced any issues till date. All things work smoothly though I have not really tried operating it while charging. Will check today and report.

Last edited by nibedk : 23rd January 2020 at 19:28. Reason: Addition
Old 23rd January 2020, 20:20   #29482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I'm on BSNL, no VoLTE. Cant find a setting for VoLTE too. Do the menu entries show up only on LTE networks?
Forget VoLTE, BSNL doesn't even offer 4G.

As for VoWifi, the setting inside mobile operator name should have "Make calls using WiFi"
Old 23rd January 2020, 21:15   #29483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I was seriously considering moving out as Android auto had stopped working on my OP5 for the past 8-10 months.
There is no problem with AA. The problem usually lies with faulty cables/dirty usb plugs. I had the exact same thing with my OP3t. Cleaned and changed the cable - worked flawlessly. Try cleaning your charging port with a toothpick perhaps. Buy a solid USB cable - you should be good.

I use AA across 3 phones now from the OP stable (X, 3T & 7Pro) - there is absolutely no problem.
Old 23rd January 2020, 21:17   #29484
BHPian

I was looking at list of phones Airtel supports for wifi calling but could not find any Nokia phones!

Does anyone know if Nokia phones will be added at a later point in time?
Old 24th January 2020, 08:40   #29485
Senior - BHPian

Phone: wife's Galaxy M30, Android 10, on Airtel network, VoLTE enabled. SIM2 is BSNL.

Query - people calling her on Airtel frequently complain of "user busy" tone. This did not happen on the older Lenovo phone. I tried disabling "smart dual SIM" which forwards calls to the other SIM if one is unavailable, but there is no change.
Any ideas?

On unrelated note - because we have discussed this in recent posts - for record, this phone shows "wi-fi calling" option under "wifi" entry in the "connections" entry.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 24th January 2020 at 08:42.
Old 24th January 2020, 10:05   #29486
BHPian

I have traded in my Poco F1 for a Redmi K20 Pro.

Reasons for 'upgrade':

1) The mediocre display quality of Poco, especially if you are coming from an AMOLED panel.
2) Incorrect touch responses from the screen. I used to suffer from a lot of typos.
3) Deteriorating Battery Life which lasted 'only a day'.

I got the K20 Pro for 14.7 K after discounts. It's been hard to believe the value being offered. Just to put it in perspective, OP 7T offered only marginal improvements with chipset, OIS and 90 Hz display; for double the price!

The display is absolutely premium (HDR effect maybe), notchless and touches are correct (my main issues with the Poco). The battery backup has been better than I expected. When I get back home after work, it's 68-70% despite Bluetooth ON and devices connected, etc. In comparison, Poco used to go around 50% without Bluetooth.

In my view, Poco wasn't the flagship-grade, but the K20 pro is. It does feel like an upgrade over OP3.

There was a temptation to go for OP7 Pro for quad HD display or iPhone XS for, well, being an iPhone. However, my miserliness prevailed.

Redmi's name is a drag and reaction of people at the office has been similar to the time when I had sold Galaxy Note 3 Neo to buy a 'Chinese' mobile called Mi 3.
Old 24th January 2020, 10:16   #29487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post

I'm coming back to Samsung after a very long time as I hated Touchwiz and I've been reading very good things about the new One UI. On updates, don't you think the new features in every android iteration is also very slightly incremental, now that android itself has reached pretty good maturity ? I've realised I don't care much about android version updates now as I did earlier.

I think android versions can still offer some new things. I used to be a Nokia fanboy 10 years back with their true background multitasking abilities and Meego based swipe gestures. Recent times, Android has caught up with almost all those features that I used to miss from the Nokia days. I think one thing which will further improve in Android will be the true background multitasking abilities which even the current Androids don't have. It was solved a bit with the split screen and the popup views, but desktop-style true background multitasking like in old Nokia days is still not present in Android. With 8GB of RAM, there is no more hardware constraints now. Samsung with its dex mode is able to make it work in PC mode. It may come to future android versions in the mobile mode as well.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 24th January 2020 at 10:19.
Old 24th January 2020, 12:13   #29488
BHPian

Quote:
frequently complain of "user busy" tone. This did not happen on the older Lenovo phone.
If it's happening only on the airtel sim (irrespective of whether it sits in slot 1 or slot 2) and not on the bsnl one, it could be an issue with the sim card itself. Could have happened while switching from one phone to another - a small misalignment, small damage on one or more of its conductors, etc.

Guess a permutation using two different phones each with at least one sim slot each can help isolate the issue - sim card or smartphone (specific slots on the smartphone).

Might also help to ensure the phone/OS is updated before testing it further.
Old 24th January 2020, 16:03   #29489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
I have traded in my Poco F1 for a Redmi K20 Pro.
I got the K20 Pro for 14.7 K after discounts.
Good Upgrade. I am on the K20 Pro since Oct 2019 and already on Android 10 - the phone serves well for what is costs and have not faced any major issues. Hardly use the Face Unlock due to the pop up camera lag - that is the only negative I faced so far.

I believe the K20 Pro has now received a permanent price cut and sells for 24,999 INR for the 6 GB/128 GB variant.
Old 25th January 2020, 09:59   #29490
Senior - BHPian

From posts here, I see that One Plus phones run stock Android and are getting updates over long periods. How are Oppo phones w.r.t to manufacturer level OS customisation updates? Do Oppo phones get upgrades (not just bug / security fixes) over long term - like oneplus?

One turn off for me is lack of FM and micro SD slots on One plus - specifically, the 7T.

I'm looking to buy the first phone for my kids. Obviously the phone will be mostly used for gaming.

Samsung's note lite is a tad too expensive and S10 lite with the hybrid slot is again tad too expensive.

So now, I have the Oppo reno 2 Z and Galaxy M30s on the radar. Or should I go with the one of the new 2 lite offerings from Samsung?
"Unbrickable" and "rootablity" were my top "required" features when I started the search, but guess the kids are not yet ready for that.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 25th January 2020 at 10:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks