Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2019, 21:03   #28966
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Lol. I was so keen on picking up that Oppo Reno 10x Zoom - that sharkfin pop-up camera.
I was toiling with that idea myself - just for its periscope camera - until the 6GB version went out of stock. 10K more for the 8GB version does not sound lucrative.

I am currently using a MI A2 - as my Nokia's screen was damaged by hand sanitizer - and the lack of the headphone jack is already making me mad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
What do people here think about the Oppo Reno 10X zoom? At 40K it seems great value for money for a SD 855 phone. I don't like popup cameras, glass backs, disappearing headphone jacks etc. And the weight is a huge 210g! - I even struggle holding my 183g Nokia properly.

No other interesting options seem to come out these days. My Nokia 7 plus has crossed a year and am bored. Every new phone release seem to be incremental updates over their previous versions. No real innovation anywhere. Except the new periscope camera that brings true optical zoom.

Anything exciting in the offing?
Old 6th July 2019, 13:52   #28967
BHPian

Xiaomi caught using Apple's Memoji advertisement to advertise its similar feature Mimoji. Officials claim it was a mistake.This is taking copying to different levels.

Linked article synopsis as below:

Earlier this week, Xiaomi revealed a new digital avatar feature called "Mimoji," and the parallels to Apple's own Memoji feature were abundantly evident. Although Xiaomi sent out a press release refuting claims that it copied Apple, the company is in hot water again today for going so far as to use Apple's own ads on its website to promote Mimoji (via CX Live and Daring Fireball).

According to Xiaomi's public relations general manager, Xu Jieyun, this was all an accident. Xiaomi staff "uploaded the wrong content" to the sites, Xu Jieyun said on Weibo.

Both Memoji and Mimoji are 3D avatars that the user can customize to make them look as similar - or dissimilar - to their own likeness as possible. Xiaomi's version includes similar art style to Apple's Memoji, as well as accessories and eyewear that all look just like Memoji.

Xiaomi has made a name for itself when it comes to copying Apple products and features. It launched the equivalent of Apple's Animojis on the Mi 8 smartphone in 2018; a device that strongly resembled the iPhone X. Earlier in 2019, it released a device that looked and functioned similarly to AirPods.

Link: https://www.macrumors.com/2019/07/05...romote-mimoji/
Old 6th July 2019, 15:30   #28968
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I've kinda decided to keep using my Honor View 10 for a year more if possible - there are absolutely no issues with the phone.
More than an year with Honor 10 and absolutely no issues.

Camera continues to impress, phone is snappy, no lag no issues at all. I am keeping this as long as it will function normally.

If Huwaei stays mainstream, then will go with it.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th July 2019 at 20:41. Reason: Minor typo.
Old 8th July 2019, 11:42   #28969
Senior - BHPian

Switched to Android (from iOS) and loving it so far. It has been only 2 days.

I picked up a Xiaomi Mi 9. The only set back I had was I could not move or transfer any historical Whats App conversations from my iCloud account to Android as the two do not talk to each other. This was about the only thing that made me curse about the switch. Everything else was seamless. One third party software did claim to do this but did not work.

As a device, it is pretty amazing what Xiaomi have done with the Mi 9. Very well made for what is a budget price phone. The camera module does sticks out a bit so I will have to be careful on where I place the phone. Other than this, everything is superb.

One minor software niggle and this is something I did watch/read on YouTube/Interweb was the notification icons disappearing right at the top. They show up only once and don't stay there. Ideally; they should disappear only once you acknowledge those notifications. I've read of this on some Sony phones too so not sure if its an Android or MIUI bug.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 8th July 2019 at 11:44.
Old 8th July 2019, 12:19   #28970
Senior - BHPian

Note 8 users-My phone has a bug whereby if a call lasts less than a minute or goes answered, the phone and truecaller app keep running in the background despite disconnecting the call. I've tried force closing both 'Phone' and 'truecaller' app but it doesn't help. Both the apps keep running in the background and in a minute or so, the phone restarts.

Anyone facing the same issue ?
Old 8th July 2019, 22:30   #28971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
My phone has a bug whereby if a call lasts less than a minute or goes answered, the phone and truecaller app keep running in the background despite disconnecting the call. I've tried force closing both 'Phone' and 'truecaller' app but it doesn't help. Both the apps keep running in the background and in a minute or so, the phone restarts.

Anyone facing the same issue?
I have a somewhat similar problem in my Redmi 1S running Android 4.4.4 KTU84P and MIUI Version- MIUI Global 8.1 | Stable 8.1.2.0(KHCMIDI).

Sometimes when I try to disconnect a call irrespective of call duration (if the call gets connected) and also when call does not get connected, the phone app keeps running in the background ("Return to call" appears in the 'notification area'). Till date I could not understand why does it happen?

But my phone does not restart on its own.

Now after reading your query, when I searched on Google for my problem, Google gave results suggesting Check Proximity sensor by dialing *#*#64663#*#* (Hardware tests). The Proximity sensor of my phone Passed the test.
Old 9th July 2019, 11:43   #28972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Till date I could not understand why does it happen?Now after reading your query, when I searched on Google for my problem, Google gave results suggesting Check Proximity sensor by dialing *#*#64663#*#* (Hardware tests). The Proximity sensor of my phone Passed the test.
So its not the proximity sensor then ? I tried running that test and it only said 'invalid number' on my phone,so I downloaded CPU-Z app and checked the proximity sensor, it changes from 0 to 8cm depending on how close its is to my face. So that means its ok ?

I'm guessing its got something to do with software of the phone and worst part is when I took it to the SC I couldn't replicate the issue
Old 11th July 2019, 11:53   #28973
BHPian

Android Wish List !!

Couple of features I would like to have in standard Android without installing additional apps:

1. Delete SMS from Notifications itself.

2. Provision to change the phone sound (ring/vibrate/mute) based on the WiFi connected. Example, when I come to office and phone connects to the corporate WiFi then it should change to vibrate/mute. When I go back home, it should switch back to Ring. Wifi connectivity settings screen can just have a toggle for Ring/Vibrate/Mute so when I setup that WiFi I can just say what profile I need for that WiFi.

Please pass these on to any contacts in Google/OEMs .
Old 11th July 2019, 12:06   #28974
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Wish List !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Couple of features I would like to have in standard Android without installing additional apps:

1. Delete SMS from Notifications itself.

2. Provision to change the phone sound (ring/vibrate/mute) based on the WiFi connected. Example, when I come to office and phone connects to the corporate WiFi then it should change to vibrate/mute. When I go back home, it should switch back to Ring. Wifi connectivity settings screen can just have a toggle for Ring/Vibrate/Mute so when I setup that WiFi I can just say what profile I need for that WiFi.

Please pass these on to any contacts in Google/OEMs .
I know you said no additional apps but

1. Have the microsoft message app as your default, its a wonderful app and you can delete from notifications itself. Trust me the messages wont even bother you once this app is installed

2. Tasker should do this. I did use it for some time and it worked very well
Old 11th July 2019, 22:19   #28975
BHPian

Re: Android Wish List !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post

1. Have the microsoft message app as your default, its a wonderful app and you can delete from notifications itself. Trust me the messages wont even bother you once this app is installed
Installed it and totally loving it. Thanks a ton for the suggestion mate.
Old 12th July 2019, 10:50   #28976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
One minor software niggle and this is something I did watch/read on YouTube/Interweb was the notification icons disappearing right at the top. They show up only once and don't stay there.
MI 9, is it a phone with a notch? Asking as it is not sold in India. I have Pocophone which is also made by Xiaomi, and it too have this issue of icons disappearing. But it has to do with the notch, as the icons appear in place of clock. So Xiaomi wants users to have clock visible most of time and icons only when the notifications are pushed in. The phones without notch do not have this issue.

This is a MIUI, not android, feature / bug. One has to live with it.
Old 12th July 2019, 11:40   #28977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
MI 9, is it a phone with a notch?
Yes. In my view, this is a design over sight. Even with the notch, there is space to retain some notification icons if not all. They could have shared the space to show time and icons intermittently. Right now, the notifications show once and disappear. This can be fixed. It is up to them if they want to do so or what the end user values.
Old 15th July 2019, 12:01   #28978
BHPian

I need a quick call to make.

Between Oppo Reno 10X Zoom and Pixel 3a XL what would be a better deal?

I know am comparing apples to oranges, but....

Pixel has all that I need - headphone jack, AMOLED screen, no glass back, timely OS updates.

Oppo is more desirable and the periscope camera, shark fin cam, premium looks.

Basically the contest is between form (Reno) vs function (pixel).

Any other phones I should be looking at?

EDIT: After my good experience with the Nokia 7 plus, am open to buy the Nokia 8.1 as well. Can save some cash too.

Last edited by civic-sense : 15th July 2019 at 12:14.
Old 15th July 2019, 13:59   #28979
BHPian

No activity in this thread on 'Amazon Prime Day' and 'FK Big Shopping Days' sale?
I was desperately waiting for this sale, as I had to replace my father's ageing Moto E2. After exchange price and instant discount, final price was 7522. I know MIA2 has it's disadvantages like lack of 3.5mm jack and average battery performance, but still i wanted pure Android phone and this was lowest available phone for the specs that I wanted.
Old 15th July 2019, 14:48   #28980
Team-BHP Support

I have always preferred a cheap and handy mobile phone but recently moved to the OnePlus 7 Pro.

I am absolutely in love with this phone and am very happy that a couple of my horrible friends made me spend so much money on it.

The best part about the phone is its charging.
For example, my phone might be at about 20% charge. My kids want me to take them for a walk in the park. Plug in the phone. My son goes to collect his stuff and my daughter puts on her skates. In that 15 minutes, the phone is already at 60% charge and I am good to go.

The screen is super awesome. The 90 hz refresh rate literally spoils you with its feel and color.

Camera. Well most of the pics in this https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ivic-cr-v.html (Driving through the North-East with Honda (Civic & CR-V)) are taken with stock camera app.

The zoom is cool feature that has very limited use. The wide angle is fun to use and gives you an interesting perspective.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks