Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2018, 14:50   #27826
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My A1 came with N, and an OTA to O. Frankly, though, I don't know that Oreo has given me anything that I particularly needed or wanted:
For me, the major benefit that I got after upgrading to Oreo is, now i can see the battery information of bluetooth connected devices. This is particularly important for me as I use bluetooth headset to listen to songs while 'walking'. Earlier, there was no way I could know the battery remaining percentage till i hear the beeps. And it used to die down within 10 minutes of the first beep. Now, it shows 3 levels (100, 70, 40 and 10) and I can choose when to charge it.
Old 1st October 2018, 17:13   #27827
BHPian

Quote:
My A1 came with N, and an OTA to O. Frankly, though, I don't know that Oreo has given me anything that I particularly needed or wanted
It's that itch to get the latest (free) OS into your phone, although it is only going to slow down your phone.

BTW, iOS 12 has actually made my wife's 5S faster. I think that's a first even for iOS.
Old 1st October 2018, 20:52   #27828
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
For me, the major benefit that I got after upgrading to Oreo is, now i can see the battery information of bluetooth connected devices. ...
A very real benefit! Sometimes I think that Android has become a bit like Firefox: just increasing the numbers. But when something really useful comes along, it's a different matter. Split-screen might be useful to some: I have not found a use for it yet, though I might on a tablet. But then, my phone is now big enough that I don't need a tablet. But too small for split screen
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
It's that itch to get the latest (free) OS into your phone, although it is only going to slow down your phone. ... ... ...
With stuff that is not entirely mainstream, it may also require that one waits until it gets updated to work with the new. For instance, what Xposed modules work with Oreo, let alone Pie. Not something that matters to most buyers, who would not even root their phone, let alone stray into areas where stuff can go badly wrong.

Yes, I fiddle with my phone. At least until the novelty wears off --- and I have it looking and feeling the way I like.

I did think of one counterpoint to my previous post. The fact that a company is selling its phones with latest OS does perhaps say something about the company. Taking it to extremes, I'd probably be perfectly happy to use Android 6 --- but I wouldn't be impressed by someone trying to sell me that on a brand-new model.
Old 1st October 2018, 21:32   #27829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Split-screen might be useful to some: I have not found a use for it yet
Making a PSTN call to someone whose number is you need to pick from a common WhatsApp group's member list.

More generally, typing something while referring to something else. Password managers, for example (mine emulates a keyboard though). Copy/paste is not always available or often is cumbersome.
Old 1st October 2018, 22:38   #27830
Distinguished - BHPian

That's how I imagine it would be useful. And text manipulation on a small touch screen is, indeed, clumsy. I'm not saying nobody would want to use it!

There are billions of people happily talking to Google. But somehow, I find it very hard to talk to my phone. Each to their own, and each to the versions that support what they want.
Old 4th October 2018, 13:09   #27831
BHPian

While using the True Caller app, after disconnecting a call, other apps such as SMS manager, clock and alarm settings etc. are seen open in the background. What is happening?
Old 5th October 2018, 11:29   #27832
Senior - BHPian

Flipkart is offering Galaxy S8 at 30k in their offer on 10 October 2018. Any thoughts? After being in Apple prison for more than a year, I am eager to break free. I would appreciate any thoughts on Galaxy S8.
Old 5th October 2018, 12:14   #27833
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Flipkart is offering Galaxy S8 at 30k in their offer on 10 October 2018. Any thoughts? After being in Apple prison for more than a year, I am eager to break free. I would appreciate any thoughts on Galaxy S8.
There are plenty of horror stories regarding the S8's battery life (maybe S8 owners on this forum can shed some light about that). Other than that it seems a great deal at 30k.

The Oneplus 6 on Amazon is going to be available at 30k as well in their sale, so you can look at that too as an alternative.
Old 5th October 2018, 13:22   #27834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Galaxy S8 for 30k is really interesting. I am also in the market to upgrade from my Mi5 and this is tempting me now. I was interested in the OP6 but phones are getting too huge. S8 is probably still on the saner side as far as overall size is concerned.

Another phone that has become very interesting is the LG V30+. It's available for 35k now and I think it is better value for money than the OP6.
Old 5th October 2018, 14:33   #27835
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Flipkart is offering Galaxy S8 at 30k in their offer on 10 October 2018. Any thoughts?
Isn't it too high for an old phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Another phone that has become very interesting is the LG V30+. It's available for 35k now and I think it is better value for money than the OP6.
With the V40 coming out, the V30 prices could go down further.
Old 5th October 2018, 15:09   #27836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

With the V40 coming out, the V30 prices could go down further.
I guess the V30+ price got revised recently because of the V40. Till few days back it was selling for 45k.

It is a compelling buy at 35k i think. Brilliant 2k OLED screen, IP68, wireless charging, no notch, compact form factor for a six incher (its around 5mm smaller than phones like OP6). Cameras are quite good too. It's one of the most underrated phones that you can buy.

It will be interesting to see how LG will price the V40 here. Anything above 40k will not sell much. LG makes beautiful phones but their pricing is all wrong. Nobody will pay a Samsung price for an LG. LG should seriously review their pricing strategy. For right price they can make an impression in the Indian market.

Last edited by joslicx : 5th October 2018 at 15:11.
Old 5th October 2018, 15:19   #27837
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
LG makes beautiful phones but their pricing is all wrong. Nobody will pay a Samsung price for an LG. LG should seriously review their pricing strategy. For right price they can make an impression in the Indian market.
I agree... I have been an LG customer until the V20. Good phones, but somehow lag behind the big boys - not sure if its the way they market the phones, or too many changes across generations. I am not a fan of their camera as well - even though its packed with Technology. I currently use the Pixel 2 XL which is essentially an LG, and the camera setup is just brilliant compared to the LG branded flagships.
Old 5th October 2018, 15:35   #27838
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I currently use the Pixel 2 XL which is essentially an LG, and the camera setup is just brilliant compared to the LG branded flagships.
Quote:
Google is already using machine learning and neural network algorithms in its cameras too. When creating a depth of field effect from a single image sensor, a convolution neural network, trained on almost a million pictures of faces and bodies, produces a mask of foreground and background content. This is combined with depth map data calculated from the Phase-Detect Auto-Focus (PDAF) dual-pixels located in the image sensor and a stereo algorithms to further detect areas of the background and how much blur to apply based on distance from the foreground. This is actually the computationally intensive part. Once this has all been brought together and calculated, a disk-shaped bokeh blur is applied at each depth level to finalize the image
I agree with your point about photography with the pixel. I have almost stopped using my rx100m2 and rely only on my pixel for most occasions. I'm eagerly awaiting the activation of the visual core chip - can't wait to see how much further it's going to push capabilities.

https://www.androidauthority.com/pix...l-core-808182/
Old 5th October 2018, 15:49   #27839
BHPian

Quote:
LG makes beautiful phones but their pricing is all wrong. Nobody will pay a Samsung price for an LG. LG should seriously review their pricing strategy. For right price they can make an impression in the Indian market.
LG's launch pricing is always much lower than Samsung/Sony etc.

LG G6 used to be sold at 30K

V30+ was launched at 45K.

G7 was launched at 40K.

All these prices are much lower than similar Samsung phones. Yes, they don't compete with the Pocophone though.
Old 5th October 2018, 16:33   #27840
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
There are plenty of horror stories regarding the S8's battery life (maybe S8 owners on this forum can shed some light about that). Other than that it seems a great deal at 30k.
Never had any battery life issues with the S8. The best part of this phone (and other Galaxy/Note models) is the minimal mode; which really works great when you want to save battery. Using this mode, I have had the phone last 3-4 days (starting with a full battery and minimal/zero usage); or atleast 2-3 hours when the battery % is in single digits.

@ani_meher -
30k for the S8 is a great price; but unless you are brand conscious, I'd say the OnePlus 6 @30k would be a better buy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks