Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2018, 20:14   #27061
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Did anyone purchase or use the Honor View10? The specs are good - directly pitted against the OnePlus 5T - for around 5k lesser!
Not first hand but was following the Honor View10 closely with various reviews by different sites/youtube reviews. Most have pretty good things to say about day to day usage with lag free experience and very good RAM management. Camera while at par, some say it is better than the 5T. Only minus most give it is for the Software experience with EMUI. 5T edges it in the software department but most other places it is neck to neck. Also the price difference for the 6GB 64GB 5T is only 3k while the 8GB 128GB 5T is almost 8k. So VFM factor considering, V10 trumps it since it comes with 6GB and 128GB which is kinda middle ground. I love the blue color V10 and have half my mind to pick it up. Only the EMUI s/w experience is holding me back.
Old 21st February 2018, 20:34   #27062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
This is why I think buying something like a Galaxy S7, even if it is 50% more expensive than the Redmi Note 5 Pro at this moment, makes much better sense.

Agreed it's a two year old phone and will support limited updates, but it was a flagship in 2016. So it is still perfect for someone like me who only cares about a great camera and a crisp display.

I have a two year old Redmi Note 3 and I am looking to upgrade, and I am not even going to try to get the RN5 Pro during the flash sale. It's just a huge waste of time.
Completely agree. I picked up the S7 in Sep last year from Flipkart @ 21290 under exchange.

Awesome screen, superb camera, great battery and the perfect size!
Old 22nd February 2018, 16:45   #27063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Samsung A8+ seems to fit well.
It does have great specs but 33k is well out of my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
While the A8+ is good, for the price they are asking for it, you will get the flagship chipset in the Honor V10, OnePlus 5T and Nokia 8. There are some long term reviews for Nokia 8 which you may want to look at as well as our own members smartcat and manson have them.

On the other hand if you truly want a mid ranger, you can look at the Redmi Note 5 Pro which for 17k offers excellent Value for Money in terms of storage/chipset & RAM.
I agree, A8+ is in OP5T territory. But both are out of my budget. Regarding Redmi note 5, I am not a fan of their MIUI. I had bought a Redmi Note 3 for my mom, which is still stuck at Marshmallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
It's almost like you are highlighting the strong points of Nokia 8 and ignoring the weak points. At Rs. 28,000, it fits your requirements to a T. It is like a Google Pixel 2 at half the price.
guess I do have a dormant Nokia fanboy in me!

Quote:
Specifications: 4 GB RAM and 64 GB storage is just about enough for gaming and multi-tasking. When compared to 6/8 GB competitors, you might find Nokia 8 closing more background applications often. This could effect battery life a bit when compared to others. Oneplus 5T is the performance king though.
Spec wise, it looks good. SD 835 is a beast. Pure android is really appealing.

Quote:
Camera: Camera hardware is 10 out of 10, camera software is 6 out of 10. Issue can be resolved by using Google Camera apk

Battery Life: Seems comparable with competitors going by www.gsmarena.com tests
Read some not so flattering reviews about the camera, hence the apprehension. Battery life seems OK.

Quote:
Regular updates: Google Pixel/Nexus gets updates first. Nokia 8 is always next in line. I'm running Oreo 8.1 right now.

Screen size / bezels : A definite negative when compared to competitors. But because it has capacitive navigation buttons, actual useable screen size is comparable to 5.7 inch 18:9 screen phones.

Another negative is that it is not fully water and dust proof. If you want that, you could consider LG G6. What you will also like about Nokia 8 is solid, solid build quality and it is very nice to hold in hand.
At almost 4k lower, theres the Honor 8 pro available. It has better reviews about its camera. One negative is the lack of any waterproofing in it. Another is the screen, its Gorilla glass 3, while the Nokia 8 is GG 5.

I have completely excluded Sony Xperia XA1 plus, due to its sad joke of a chipset (at this price point).

So among Nokia 8 and Honor 8 pro, which should I go for?
Old 22nd February 2018, 17:55   #27064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
I agree, A8+ is in OP5T territory. But both are out of my budget. Regarding Redmi note 5, I am not a fan of their MIUI. I had bought a Redmi Note 3 for my mom, which is still stuck at Marshmallow.
Agree that the OS updates are slow or non-existent with MIUI but on the other hand, most features of Oreo and even more will be available in their MIUI version.
Also since you mentioned that you have a budget of 30k the 5T at 33k is actually not a huge stretch while it offers everything you need. Except maybe sub par camera as per some media reviews. Have seen the phone with 2 colleagues who own it at office and the camera is pretty good for my layman eyes at least.

Quote:
Nokia 8 eyes closed. Almost stock android and latest chipset along with 2k screen. Honor 8 Pro has the previous gen chipset, comes with Nougat out of the box and has EMUI layer on top which is similar to MIUI so not sure of updates on there as well. You want the current flagship chipset and want to stick with Honor brand then you should look at Honor View 10. Comes with the latest Kirin 970 found in their flagship, Android Oreo out of the box and supposed to have better camera than the 5T.
Old 22nd February 2018, 19:58   #27065
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Read some not so flattering reviews about the camera, hence the apprehension.
Yes, as I mentioned before, the camera software is not that great. You get blurry shots if you take photos of small kids or pets - because they usually don't stand still! You need to ditch the Nokia camera app and go for Google Camera app

Quote:
Do check out the Moto Z2 Force too - it is getting rave reviews.
https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/rev...er-mod-1814323

Old 22nd February 2018, 20:32   #27066
BANNED

Quote:
I thought the OP5T was a little high priced and this Honor View10 seems nicely priced-just under 30k.
The biggest problem is see with View 10 is Below. It support only india specific Network bands while O5T support virtually whole world. It is important incase you travel across for work. Something i learned hard way

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 958
Size:  172.3 KB
Old 23rd February 2018, 09:51   #27067
Senior - BHPian

So this popped up on my news feed:

https://www.techradar.com/news/you-c...hone-on-amazon

If that is the price, then it's a killer price!
Old 23rd February 2018, 09:55   #27068
BHPian

Hi All,

Anyone using Nokia 6?
Are you facing trouble with the phone after upgrading it to Orio?

The speaker of my Brother's phone has gone Kapoot after this upgrade. The service center says that this is a known issue for Orio upgrade & only option is Motherboard replacement. This is being done for all such issues.
Thankfully the phone is under warranty & this will be done Free Of cost. A fresh Motherboard is ordered last Friday & replacement to be done this weekend.

Regards,
Saurabh
Old 23rd February 2018, 10:02   #27069
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

Essential is essentially dead. Very unlikely that the brand is going forward. And the reviews aren’t great. With virtually non existent service back up, it would be better to stay away. They are bringing it here because they have unsold inventory. As a novelty piece one good buy it still.
Old 23rd February 2018, 19:47   #27070
Senior - BHPian

Sharing some Pros and Cons with the Huawei Honor View 10 based on recommendation from BHPian abhinav.s to repost from the Mobile Phone thread.

Pros:
1. Phone comes with Android Oreo and EMUI 8.0 is fast enough
2. 128 GB of Memory with 6 GB of RAM. The phone has a hybrid slot which can be used for adding a micro SD card as well.
3. Face Recognition works very well and is an excellent feature to have.
4. Eye Comfort mode which adds a yellowish tinge is useful
5. The device itself is thinner than flagships such as Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and iPhone X
6. The Pictures taken so far from the Camera have all come out very good.
7. Supports Super Charge Feature. (Approx. 2X Faster compared to a Fast Charger)

Cons:
1. Lack of Image Stabilization in the Camera
2. The Card slot could have been dedicated rather than hybrid slot.
3. Quad Camera should have been offered at this price since the Honor 9 Lite itself offers it.
4. Honor does not make any claims about water resistance which should have been there.
5. Super Charger should have been provided vs the Fast Charger provided.
6. FM Radio could have been added as well.

Better than OnePlus 5T for the following reasons
1. Better Battery
2. Android Oreo out of the box
3. Option to expand storage

For some sample pictures visit : URL

For more details related to the Huawei Super Charger visit the following thread on TeamBHP: URL

Review Comments from BHPian pankaj_sachdeva : URL

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 23rd February 2018 at 19:49.
Old 23rd February 2018, 20:21   #27071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
So VFM factor considering, V10 trumps it since it comes with 6GB and 128GB which is kinda middle ground. I love the blue color V10 and have half my mind to pick it up. Only the EMUI s/w experience is holding me back.
I was thinking the same - seems much more VFM than the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
The biggest problem is see with View 10 is Below. It support only india specific Network bands while O5T support virtually whole world. It is important incase you travel across for work. Something i learned hard way
That is interesting and something I considered too - but hardly travel on work and my provider supports some of the bands, so no worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Sharing some Pros and Cons with the Huawei Honor View 10 based on recommendation from BHPian abhinav.s to repost from the Mobile Phone thread.
Thanks for the info and the links - checking them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

Don't be tempted. The phone looks great on specs and is actually a decent phone but it has been a non-starter. I am sure they are bringing it to India to just sell off unsold stock.
Old 23rd February 2018, 20:47   #27072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was thinking the same - seems much more VFM than the OP.
Also from an affordability perspective, they have been regularly offering No Cost EMI scheme for 12 months (2500 x 12) whereas The OP5T has been offered with only a 3 month No Cost EMI. This was an additional factor for me to lean towards the Honor View 10. Also, OP5T was ruled out since the 128 Meg device is priced way higher...

Based on my 15 days of usage, I can tell you the EMUI 8 is fast and has not really bothered me. It does come with a few unwanted Games and so on, but it let me uninstall stuff which I did not want. The 128 GB memory was also key for me since I use the phone in the Dual SIM Mode (it supports Dual simultaneous VOLTE as well which means you do not need to downgrade Airtel to a GSM for the sake of Jio 4G).

The front camera is a mixed bag for indoor photography - pictures appeared over exposed. The rear dual camera setup is amazing and is making me wonder if I will stop using my Panasonic Mirrorless GX85...

I am also super impressed with the Super Charger. Do note that if you have invested in Qualcomm Quickchargers - these will work in the same speed as the Fast charger supplied with the device. However, the SuperCharger does take the charging speed to a completely different level

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 23rd February 2018 at 20:48.
Old 23rd February 2018, 21:50   #27073
BANNED

Quote:
That is interesting and something I considered too - but hardly travel on work and my provider supports some of the bands, so no worries.
I see your location as US. Could you help with which operator you use as that will help me in deciding on operator at least as i am also eyeing honor. I often travel on business to US and every time have struggled to get any signals beyond 2G. I have used Lyka as well as T-mobile so far on my Moto G5+ . My Travel is mostly to TX & CA.
Old 23rd February 2018, 23:50   #27074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
The 128 GB memory was also key for me since I use the phone in the Dual SIM Mode (it supports Dual simultaneous VOLTE as well which means you do not need to downgrade Airtel to a GSM for the sake of Jio 4G).

The front camera is a mixed bag for indoor photography - pictures appeared over exposed. The rear dual camera setup is amazing and is making me wonder if I will stop using my Panasonic Mirrorless GX85...

I am also super impressed with the Super Charger. Do note that if you have invested in Qualcomm Quickchargers - these will work in the same speed as the Fast charger supplied with the device. However, the SuperCharger does take the charging speed to a completely different level
Yeah the expandable storage is a must for me too - I still cannot get over the fact that you can live with in-phone storage

I like the camera too - seeing some great shots take by people - including you on the Amazon reviews page! Thanks!

I have a Aukey quick charger too - might invest in a Super Charger later on if I find the need for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
I see your location as US. Could you help with which operator you use as that will help me in deciding on operator at least as i am also eyeing honor. I often travel on business to US and every time have struggled to get any signals beyond 2G. I have used Lyka as well as T-mobile so far on my Moto G5+ . My Travel is mostly to TX & CA.
I am on AT&T - they use the 2 and 5 bands here (Atlanta) - and my older Mi phone works on LTE so I am ok. However, I haven't bought the Honor yet - still to decide. But it is a hit and miss - my friend brought a Mi phone from India and he couldn't get 4G to work In Iowa. Seems AT&T have different bands supported in the country. So it is best to check with the provider before you plunge in.
Old 23rd February 2018, 23:56   #27075
BANNED

Quote:
Y he couldn't get 4G to work In Iowa..
Thanks for revert. Even i was also in nearby Des Moines during previous month and max got 2 G signals only. What really frustrated me was the super poor voice call quality.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks