Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2017, 21:27   #26806
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
The Honor 8 Pro has pretty much similar specs and is available for like 20k less on Flipkart. I haven't used the U11 but the Honor deal seems too good.
Yes, I use the honor 8 pro and it is very good for my use case. Including exchange, I got it for around 22k, at that time the phone was retailing for ~30k
Old 15th December 2017, 21:52   #26807
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Yes, I use the honor 8 pro and it is very good for my use case. Including exchange, I got it for around 22k, at that time the phone was retailing for ~30k
My wife uses it too and she is very happy with it. The display is very crisp.
Old 15th December 2017, 23:32   #26808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu_hs View Post
I would be happy to answer any specific questions from BHPians about Pixel 2 XL which you can't find in reviews.
I'm sure you'd have read about all the screen issues which plagued the model. How is it on your phone ? Are the colors as washed out as claimed to be and is the display grainy ? Also, is blue tint when the phone is turned off axis as bad as made out to be ?

I'm strongly considering the XL and preferably before panda runs out of stock during the sale!
Old 16th December 2017, 10:49   #26809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I'm sure you'd have read about all the screen issues which plagued the model. How is it on your phone ? Are the colors as washed out as claimed to be and is the display grainy ? Also, is blue tint when the phone is turned off axis as bad as made out to be ?

I'm strongly considering the XL and preferably before panda runs out of stock during the sale!
The screen to me looks fine. Blue tint when off axis is present, but you don't see that and other shortcomings in day to day usage. But, then again, I don't sample top of the line phones from different manufacturers every year which the reviewers do, so they are probably correct that Samsung panel is better than the LG one.

One of the reasons i went for the XL model was the better perceived value in XL at 73k vs non-XL at 61k (during pre-order). But now, Pixel 2 at 40k seems better value than XL at 60k.
Old 16th December 2017, 12:34   #26810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu_hs View Post
One of the reasons i went for the XL model was the better perceived value in XL at 73k vs non-XL at 61k (during pre-order). But now, Pixel 2 at 40k seems better value than XL at 60k.
Thank you, its good to know there's not much difference in day to day usage. The reviewers are also divided as some absolutely hate the display whilst others are neutral about it.

I'm trading my old phone, so it comes to around 57k after 3k exchange bonus, a 17k premium for better display and battery life. I'm leaning towards XL since I don't change phones until atleast 2 years and am a big phone person.
Old 17th December 2017, 20:58   #26811
Senior - BHPian

My Sister wants to buy new phone with a budget of Rs.15000/-. Her previous Moto G(1) has died (Does not Boot to Home Screen. We have not tried Hard Reset from Boot Menu since there is data on the phone).

Requirements of New Android Phone-
1. Screen size- 5-5.5"
2. RAM- 3-4GB
3. Internal Memory- Minimum 32GB.
4. Expandable- Would be a Bonus.
5. Sim- 4G Dual Sim (Jio and Airtel)
6. Camera- Good Quality ( I am not mentioning the Mega Pixels as MP is not fully responsible for Photo Quality)

Which phone to go for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I'm looking for a 5 inches display phone that is stock Android and a good processor.
Have you bought a new phone? If yes, which one and why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Having the same budget, have registered for Honor 7x on amazon!
Did you get Honor 7X? How is the phone performing? Any problems with the phone or any negative points present in the phone?
Old 17th December 2017, 21:05   #26812
Senior - BHPian

Just wanted to check again, when I update my android phone software (Oneplus 3) say with different versions of the same Android (Marshmallow) or from say Marsmallow to Nougat are there any "Drivers" for the hardware (LTE and WiFi modems) that get updated as well ? Also if they do get updated, will rolling back to a previous build of Android restore the old driver versions ?

Im talking about different builds of OxygenOS itself. Some time ago I bit the bullet and updated from Marshmallow to Nougat. Now besides other UI changes that I dont like, my network connectivity is not that good and also WiFi range and effectiveness has dropped off significantly. At a 10 foot range from my Wifi modem I now barely get 1Mbps whereas earlier I would get atleast 10-15Mbps.
I was wondering if I flash to the old version of Marshmallow it would restore the phone to the previous functionality
Old 17th December 2017, 21:11   #26813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Did you get Honor 7X? How is the phone performing? Any problems with the phone or any negative points present in the phone?
I did get the phone on the first day, but since I am not a heavy user, I am not still sure what the down sides to the phone are, battery backup is decent, front cam is good, screen is just brilliant! Heat could be felt while using memory intensive apps, but not too much.

Do wait for detailed reviews before plunging in.
Old 17th December 2017, 21:28   #26814
BHPian

Quote:
My Sister wants to buy new phone with a budget of Rs.15000/-. Her previous Moto G(1) has died (Does not Boot to Home Screen. We have not tried Hard Reset from Boot Menu since there is data on the phone).

Requirements of New Android Phone-
1. Screen size- 5-5.5"
2. RAM- 3-4GB
3. Internal Memory- Minimum 32GB.
4. Expandable- Would be a Bonus.
5. Sim- 4G Dual Sim (Jio and Airtel)
6. Camera- Good Quality ( I am not mentioning the Mega Pixels as MP is not fully responsible for Photo Quality)

Which phone to go for?
I can think of Lenovo k8 plus, 4GB version. I got it for my dad and surprisingly it is much better than my Moto G4 plus in mostly all aspects, be it camera quality or the sound quality. Big plus is it has a dedicated SD card slot which most current crop of phones lack.

One thing to keep in mind is it packs a average SOC from MediaTek and it is good for average usage, if power usage or gaming is the requirements you need to look elsewhere.

KK
Old 17th December 2017, 21:39   #26815
BHPian

Quote:

Get the Mi A1. It is currently on discount on flipkart, 2000 off, bringing it down to 13000.
I am not going to in depth, there are multiple reviews for it,
but, stock Android, with guaranteed update to Android P, mid range SOC, with 4GB RAM, dual camera and dual SIM. It has everything you are asking for.

Last edited by ampere : 31st December 2017 at 12:29. Reason: Compacted quoted post
Old 18th December 2017, 18:51   #26816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Just wanted to check again, when I update my android phone software (Oneplus 3) say with different versions of the same Android (Marshmallow) or from say Marsmallow to Nougat are there any "Drivers" for the hardware (LTE and WiFi modems) that get updated as well ? Also if they do get updated, will rolling back to a previous build of Android restore the old driver versions ?
https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/g...d-more.448149/

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/r....485953/page-2
Old 19th December 2017, 11:10   #26817
Senior - BHPian

I am posting this in both Android and iOS threads as this is important for both the users. I moved from iOS to Android as I got myself a OnePlus 5T. I have been using iOS for close to 3 years. All the points are my observations only and I would be very happy if someone corrects me as I am on Android now. Some key points observed by me:
1. The applications are so much well made for iOS. This includes widgets. I so miss the stocks app on my iPhone as Android doesn't seem to have any similar widget which gives me a one stop view of high, low, volumes, etc.
2. Camera: this is a known fact. Except pixel and some other flagships I doubt there is any camera that matches iPhone's. The OnePlus 5T's camera is nowhere close. They have really screwed up the camera this time.
3. Display: the display is brilliant and I am sure it's better than the iPhone. But the interface of iOS coupled with the retina makes it look really good and sufficed my requirements.
4. Face ID: there is no comparison here. The face ID of OnePlus is quite an irritation at times. You can't view the notifications from the lock screen as it will unlock the phone and then you have to drag down the notifications
5. The slide down feature of the finger print sensor is quite convenient
6. I can't seem to find a notepad like that in iOS. It was one of my most used app.
7. My office mail app Citrix is slower on the OnePlus but is more convenient to use.
8. Updates: Apple wins here. When you see news about the updates you know you will get in your iPhone on a particular date across all devices. However, for devices like OnePlus you have no idea when latest update will reach you.
9. Battery: battery us certainly great and it charges super fast. However, its a new phone and it will be interesting to see the results after 6 months.
10. Copying and editing between lines seem easier in iOS.

I am still exploring the phone and I hope to keep this for at least 2 years as I have spent a lot of moolah this year searching for the perfect phone (for me). Please correct me on the above points if needed.

Last edited by Pancham : 19th December 2017 at 11:21.
Old 19th December 2017, 11:41   #26818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
4. Face ID: there is no comparison here. The face ID of OnePlus is quite an irritation at times. You can't view the notifications from the lock screen as it will unlock the phone and then you have to drag down the notifications
You can decide the behaviour of the face unlock. If you don't want the phone to directly unlock, uncheck the 'auto unlock when the screen is on' option and you will see notifications first.

Android is way more widget friendly and I think it's just a matter of finding the right app that works for you.

Curious to know which iPhone were you using before this, since you say the 5T camera is bad.
Old 19th December 2017, 12:03   #26819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I am posting this in both Android and iOS threads as this is important for both the users. I moved from iOS to Android as I got myself a OnePlus 5T.
Why are you comparing a 80k phone with a 30k phone? Obviously the experience will differ.

There is no point in comparing ios and android. No end to the debate. Find your liking and have fun with it.
Old 19th December 2017, 12:19   #26820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
You can decide the behaviour of the face unlock. If you don't want the phone to directly unlock, uncheck the 'auto unlock when the screen is on' option and you will see notifications first.

Android is way more widget friendly and I think it's just a matter of finding the right app that works for you.

Curious to know which iPhone were you using before this, since you say the 5T camera is bad.
I was using the 6 and the SE and I have seen pictures of 7 and 7 plus.
Low light camera is poor for both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Why are you comparing a 80k phone with a 30k phone? Obviously the experience will differ.

There is no point in comparing ios and android. No end to the debate. Find your liking and have fun with it.
What made you conclude that I am comparing a 38k phone with 80k. The iPhone SE was being sold for 17k and the experience is equally good.
Also, I am not debating here. I wanted to put forward a few points that will help people decide if they want to move from iOS to Android.

Last edited by Pancham : 19th December 2017 at 12:27.

Most Viewed