Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2017, 15:49   #26641
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Going to replace my Nexus 6p with the Oneplus 5T. The Nexus 6p is one of the best devices I've owned and the camera has been stellar, especially in low light.

I would have used this for longer, but my phone was also affected by the bootloop issue and with Google & Huawei blaming each other, the users were the final losers.

I am super tempted by the Note 8 & the Pixel XL, but I can't convince myself to spend that much on a phone !

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 17th November 2017 at 15:53.
Old 17th November 2017, 15:57   #26642
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Going to replace my Nexus 6p with the Oneplus 5T. The Nexus 6p is one of the best devices I've owned and the camera has been stellar, especially in low light.

I would have used this for longer, but my phone was also affected by the bootloop issue and with Google & Huawei blaming each other, the users were the final losers.

I am super tempted by the Note 8 & the Pixel XL, but I can't convince myself to spend that much on a phone !
I would highly suggest looking at the first gen Pixel XL, other than the 821 processor, I would suggest that over the OnePlus and their shady practices that have come to light in the recent past.

You can get the XL 128gb model for around 40K at paytm, amazon etc.
Old 17th November 2017, 16:12   #26643
BHPian

Quote:

I am super tempted by the Note 8 & the Pixel XL, but I can't convince myself to spend that much on a phone!
I am not defaming one plus but let me tell you my experience. I am sure that the 5T is a great phone for the price. I was a user of the OP2. After spending a hefty 25k on a flagship, I expect that the company should be providing updates for at least the next 3 years. The issue I feel with one plus is that they keep on upgrading their lineup and forget their previous so-called flagship phones. And once in a blue moon, whenever the update used to roll out, something or the other used to screw up. So it was more of a beta update

This was the main reason I got the Samsung S8 as I knew that I shall be getting the update in future and i am extremely happy with the phone. Been using since the past 5 months and it is as good as new without any lag.
Old 18th November 2017, 10:02   #26644
Senior - BHPian

No offence but 25k does not qualify as a flagship by Android standards i reckon. And asking for 3yr updates is bit of a stretch.

My wife has the OP3 and my LG V20 is always jealous of the updates she keeps getting. Samsung is rather prompt with their updates i guess.
Old 18th November 2017, 13:31   #26645
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Reviews on amazon do not look interesting at all. Get the Redmi 4 with 32GB/3GB instead. It is a much better option.
No, i dislike MIUI intensively.
Old 18th November 2017, 13:48   #26646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
No, i dislike MIUI intensively.
Ditto, but the phone has great hardware for the price and wonderful community support - so if custom ROMs are your thing then I'd highly recommend going for it and wiping the OS off right out of the box (that's what I did with my Redmi 3 prime brought 2yrs ago).
Old 18th November 2017, 14:13   #26647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
I expect that the company should be providing updates for at least the next 3 years.

This was the main reason I got the Samsung S8 as I knew that I shall be getting the update in future and i am extremely happy with the phone. Been using since the past 5 months and it is as good as new without any lag.

Samsung aint going to give you updates for 3 years. 18 months, to 2 years from launch. The S6 is not getting the oreo update. My Note 10.1 2014 edition, which was a 45k tablet back then, got only 1 major update.
Old 18th November 2017, 14:14   #26648
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinium15 View Post
so if custom ROMs are your thing

Unfortunately, it's not. I am not a tinkerer.
Old 18th November 2017, 14:34   #26649
BHPian

Quote:

I was in the same condition and got the oneplus 5. The camera is excellent, battery life is very good and its pretty handy compared to the gigantic 6p.
Old 18th November 2017, 16:44   #26650
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, it's not. I am not a tinkerer.
OK. Then you can consider Lenovo K6 and K8 series, offering near-stock and stock Android experience respectively.
Old 18th November 2017, 17:19   #26651
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinium15 View Post
OK. Then you can consider Lenovo K6 and K8 series, offering near-stock and stock Android experience respectively.
No, I am looking at the Nokia 3 - anyone has any experience with this?
Old 18th November 2017, 17:27   #26652
BANNED

Quote:
No, I am looking at the Nokia 3 - anyone has any experience with this?
Avoid it at all costs, the processor inside is easy to bog down and the features as well are not at all competitive with other brands.

In this price range, my recommendation would be Xiaomi Redmi 4. Moto/Lenovo have poor software, service issues and numerous such problems. Throw in Nova launcher on to MIUI and it wont be an issue in daily use and I don't know how recently you have used MIUI.

I understand the hate for MIUI and I was one of them. I got the Redmi 1S 3 years back and I loaded the custom CyanogenMod the same day(and sadly managed to screw up in the middle). Nevertheless I stuck with Cyanogen for close to year before they came up with MIUI 7. And since then MIUI has really matured and there is only added features in it and the interface is clean. Even though I am a tinkerer, I don't feel like switching a Mi phone to clean android( I did with Redmi Note 3 just to see the LDAC in Oreo).
Old 18th November 2017, 17:33   #26653
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Avoid it at all costs, the processor inside is easy to bog down and the features as well are not at all competitive with other brands.
Well, it's a Nokia - so that's the main reason I am buying it. I use the phone for making calls, texts, WhatsApp, Corporate Outlook email, Ola & a little browsing? Is it good enough for that. I don't ever play games on phones nor do I use any apps other than Outlook, Ola & WhatsApp. I don't use the camera at all - front or back. Is the Nokia 3 good enough for that?

My only concern is that I have read that the MediaTek has GPS issues. I don't use Maps except I am worried Ola will have issues.

I have a MiPad & inspite of it being 2 GB, it's slower than a 1 GB tablet because the MIUI takes up more than 1 GB - that's my main issue with the MIUI. If I want iOS, I will buy an iPhone, I don't need an Android phone which looks iOS.
Old 18th November 2017, 18:47   #26654
BANNED

Quote:
Well, it's a Nokia - so that's the main reason I am buying it. I use the phone for making calls, texts, WhatsApp, Corporate Outlook email, Ola & a little browsing? Is it good enough for that. I don't ever play games on phones nor do I use any apps other than Outlook, Ola & WhatsApp. I don't use the camera at all - front or back. Is the Nokia 3 good enough for that?

My only concern is that I have read that the MediaTek has GPS issues. I don't use Maps except I am worried Ola will have issues.

I have a MiPad & inspite of it being 2 GB, it's slower than a 1 GB tablet because the MIUI takes up more than 1 GB - that's my main issue with the MIUI. If I want iOS, I will buy an iPhone, I don't need an Android phone which looks iOS.
Within a month, you will definitely face some slowdowns with the Nokia 3, the problem being the slow quad core cpu. Especially in browsing and having the email sync in the background. I'm not even talking about the camera since they aren't any good in any phone in this segment. And yes, the GPS is definitely slower on Mediatek chips, have noticed it on all my mediatek devices. Qualcomm ones are near instant.

As for the RAM usage, i am sure your Mi Pad is still usable. I have a dell tablet running stock android with 1Gb of ram, and it was so slow that it was unable to even open settings because of the limited RAM. After a lot of tinkering around it came to be usable. for the price of Nokia 3, you are looking at 3gb ram for the Redmi 4 which is more than enough for even 3 years into the future since the display is only 720p.

While Nokia has a lot of nostalgia, the phones are just overpriced and the service/build isn't yet proven since its actually a brand new company(HMD global) with just the same name.

If you don't mind the higher pricing, I would suggest looking at the Nokia 5 at least, since the specs are somewhat better and it won't be a pain to use in the long run.
Old 18th November 2017, 19:24   #26655
BANNED

Quote:
As for the RAM usage, i am sure your Mi Pad is still usable. I have a dell tablet running stock android with 1Gb of ram, and it was so slow that it was unable to even open settings because of the limited RAM.
Actually, the tablet I had before the Mi Pad was the Dell Venue with 1 GB RAM. It was faster than the Mi Pad.

Quote:
While Nokia has a lot of nostalgia, the phones are just overpriced and the service/build isn't yet proven since its actually a brand new company(HMD global) with just the same name.
My current phone is a Nokia Lumia 525. It's more than 3 years old & it's still fine except for the battery. The battery is on it's last legs. I can buy a new battery for 500 Rs & it would be good, but I am planning against that because it's 3+ years old & most likely something else may fail soon. I am a very rough user. I don't think any cheap phone except a Nokia would last me for more than 3 years. In my 17 years of phone usage, I have had all Nokias except for 1 Sony feature phone & 1 HTC Android phone. Both the Sony & the HTC lasted for around a year each.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks