Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2017, 06:47   #26536
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I am about to take a plunge and buy MiA1. So, what is your suggestion having used it for more than 2 weeks now? From your issue list, I can live with first two issues and you have already clarified that 3rd was a non-issue. So, are there any other issues that you observed since this post? I am going for an exchange offer (G4+ is being offered at 4.3k) plus 1500 discount.
Let me know your suggestion. Thanks.
The phone is amazing, its fast. Apps install quickly. My earlier phone used to download apps quickly but installation used to take a long time. With 4GB RAM the installation is faster here.

I don't click much photos, though this phone is meant for pictures due to dual back camera.

Do note, that there is no FM radio in this phone.

The phone looks a little pricey when compared with LG Q6, which looks awesome (no bezel).

Summary, phone is good, no complaints so far, but is a little pricey when compared with the competition. LG Q6, with both SIM 4G (always) and dedicated memory slot (supports upto TB) is a very worthy competitor.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 15th October 2017 at 06:51.
Old 15th October 2017, 07:06   #26537
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I am about to take a plunge and buy MiA1
I ordered the Honor 9i and should be getting it today hopefully. I was convinced that MiA1 would be the best phone in 15K range but then feedback on the performance of the Honor 6x and that minimal bezel design of the 9i ensured that I order that instead. If stock android is not a must for you, I Would suggest you hold off a little more and wait for feedback on the 9i before you put your money on MiA1.
Old 15th October 2017, 09:27   #26538
BHPian

Hi All,

Can you please suggest the best phone for the below requirements?

a) 4 GB RAM, internal memory >= 32 GB
b) Rear Camera 16mp
c) Pure Android phone (will be required for Android Auto)
d) Budget 12 to 15K

Last edited by Prodigy07 : 15th October 2017 at 09:40.
Old 15th October 2017, 09:56   #26539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Hi All,

b) Rear Camera 16mp
d) Budget 12 to 15K

Moto G5/G5s Plus with near stock android
Mi A1 with google stock android

The only difference is, they have 12mp (dual) cameras. Do not judge cameras by pixel count: some of the best phone cameras, including the S8 and iPhone 8 are 12MP.
Old 15th October 2017, 12:11   #26540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
I Would suggest you hold off a little more and wait for feedback on the 9i before you put your money on MiA1.
1. Initial reviews suggest Honor 9i has mediocre hardware performance, hardware isn't powerful as games such as mortal combat and asphalt 8 were laggy at high settings and were playable only at medium settings.
2. There is no gyroscope sensor, ₹18k phone with no gyroscope!!!!! Thats a lot of limitations right there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Hi All,
b) Rear Camera 16mp
d) Budget 12 to 15K
I have been using Mi A1 from 3 weeks nows, an although it isn't perfect but it is a complete phone atleast and you will get everything that you need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Moto G5/G5s Plus with near stock android
Mi A1 with google stock android

The only difference is, they have 12mp (dual) cameras. Do not judge cameras by pixel count: some of the best phone cameras, including the S8 and iPhone 8 are 12MP.
Moto G5s/G5s plus have no magnetic sensor!! what a bummer right. Maps won't work well without knowing the direction.

That's the reason why I choose to stick with Mi A1. Almost every other phone is skipping on something essential. IR blaster is so useful once you get the habit of using it, don't know why manufacturers are skipping on it now. Mi A1 provides everything, and guaranteed updates for 2 years from google itself. Also, a lot of features that are limited to Android One and Pixel phones like unlimited storage for photos and videos.
Old 15th October 2017, 12:26   #26541
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
1. Initial reviews suggest Honor 9i has mediocre hardware performance, hardware isn't powerful as games such as mortal combat and asphalt 8 were laggy at high settings and were playable only at medium settings.
Not a deal breaker for me as I dont play games on mobile
Quote:
2. There is no gyroscope sensor, ₹18k phone with no gyroscope!!!!! Thats a lot of limitations right there.
Again not a deal breaker for me as I dont use photosphere etc. and VR for me is still some time away.
Quote:
Mi A1 provides everything, and guaranteed updates for 2 years from google itself
The only reason why I did not buy the Mi is because their mid/low range phones tend to start having problems after a year. Battery drains very fast, lags, call quality drops - have experienced this with the first few Mi phones and hence was hesitant to pick this. Having said that, the MiA1 is a beautiful device in the price range.

Picking the 9i was more of heart over head decision as that 18:9 5.9 inch display looks drop dead gorgeous and the 4 cam setup was an added bonus. Need to see if it really lives up to the hype or if its just another marketing gimmick
Old 15th October 2017, 12:32   #26542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
The phone is amazing, its fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
If stock android is not a must for you, I Would suggest you hold off a little more and wait for feedback on the 9i before you put your money on MiA1.
Thank you both for your suggestions.
I may go with MiA1 as 'stock android' is must for me. I may opt for '1-year Buyback Guarantee' option, so that I can sell it off if i do not like it.
Old 15th October 2017, 13:04   #26543
BHPian

Need a phone under 40K. I'm tilting towards the Nokia 8 due to stock Android, superior camera and audio quality. I don't think there are any other options which offer similar value, OnePlus 5 has a poorer camera and screen. Any opinions regarding the new-age Nokia phones?
Old 15th October 2017, 13:59   #26544
BHPian

Got the mi max 2 and I am using it as my wife felt it's too large. After an hour of usage I became accustomed to the size. What I feel about this phone is it's total value for money. The big screen and big battery is actually quite addictive. I am watching more shows on Amazon prime and I am enjoying it. Getting over 10hours SOT and close to 2 days of usage. If the size doesn't matter, then go with mi max 2 and if your budget is 15k
Old 15th October 2017, 19:51   #26545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Need a phone under 40K. I'm tilting towards the Nokia 8 due to stock Android, superior camera and audio quality. I don't think there are any other options which offer similar value, OnePlus 5 has a poorer camera and screen. Any opinions regarding the new-age Nokia phones?
Do take a look at the LG G6 as well
Old 15th October 2017, 20:25   #26546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
The phone looks a little pricey when compared with LG Q6, which looks awesome (no bezel).

Summary, the phone is good, no complaints so far, but is a little pricey when compared with the competition. LG Q6, with both SIM 4G (always) and dedicated memory slot (supports upto TB) is a very worthy competitor.
Even after contemplating between Mi A1 and Q6, picked up an LG Q6 for my mother after exchange my aging Samsung Galaxy S2 (great phone though, served me for 5 years). As you have mentioned, dual 4G sim slots with dedicated SD card slot and that beautiful screen were my takeaways for buying this. Got a good deal on Amazon for 7.6k INR after exchange and cashback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punterccrx8s View Post
If you are ready to sacrifice the S-Pen go for it. Spec wise its still on point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I would say the S8 or the Note 8 would be the ideal replacement. 18K is steep for an old phone IMO.
Thanks, punterccrx8s and vb-san for suggestions. Took the plunge and ordered a Silver Titanium S7 in exchange for my Note 4. Wanted a dual sim phone so that both personal and office telephony is covered. Since my camera module went kaput and would cost me 5k INR to fix, thought of investing on a new phone. Paid 17.6k INR in total.

Last edited by ajmat : 17th October 2017 at 08:04.
Old 16th October 2017, 09:08   #26547
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Check out the red iPhone 7 (256 GB) at PayTM. It's selling for around 47k after cashback, which I think is really good value.

Last edited by Oxy : 16th October 2017 at 09:09.
Old 17th October 2017, 14:23   #26548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Huawei Honor 6x. Check photos of Yogesh Sarkar here
https://www.instagram.com/yogeshsarkar/

Meanwhile for those interested, I continue to fall deeper in love with my HTC U11. They are amazing in low light and uncooperative subjects. See this cat belonging to my friend that was so wary of me.

Attachment 1685453
Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Honor 9i is the hottest kid on the block. It just went on sale last night and reviewers like GeekyRanjit have been raving about its camera. Fulfils your other requirements too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I would recommend the Samsung Galaxy A9 Pro.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B01M0B...rb_top?ie=UTF8

Comes with a Super Amoled 6 inch screen, decent set of cameras with OIS, 5000 mah battery with fast charging support, front and rear gorilla glass, 4GB of RAM, 32GB internal memory, Snapdragon 652 processor.

With the ongoing cashback and exchange it should fall in your budget.

The Honor 9i is worth a look as well. Also, the iPhone SE 32GB is available at Rs,16,999 so if your wife prefers a smaller screen then that would be the route to take.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I did consider all of the mentioned phone - but wifey had something else on mind.

Finally, LG Q6 won the race. It ticked most boxes - might not be the best one in the sub 15k range, but as an overall package, it satisfied our needs:

1. Has Gorilla glass display
2. Looks well proportioned and is quite compact given the screen size is still 5.5 inch
3. There is a premium feel to it which phones in this range lack.
4. Internal memory 32 GB satisfies our requirement. Only missing bit is turbo charging.

I got a sweet deal through Amazon Great India sale.

LG Q6 Deal price: INR 12999 (MRP 16999)

Exchange price for our 2015 Samsung Galaxy J7: INR 3600 + Extra INR 3000 = INR 6600

Additional Exchange bonus: INR 349

Net Price: 6050

SBI Credit card deal (10% off),

Final Effective Price: INR 5445

Last edited by GTO : 19th October 2017 at 09:02. Reason: Typo
Old 17th October 2017, 14:46   #26549
Senior - BHPian

Nova Launcher Pro and Poweramp Pro is available for just ₹10. Easily worth the money
Old 17th October 2017, 15:29   #26550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Nova Launcher Pro and Poweramp Pro is available for just ₹10. Easily worth the money
Just purchased them through Google Rewards. Thanks for the mighty share

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks