Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2017, 17:52   #26386
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
So, what are my options in the Android ecosystem? No basic phones please. And no sub-standard manufacturers either. It's either Samsung, OnePlus, Google, or maybe a Motorola. Budget is up to 60K INR.
So what are my choices? OnePlus 5? Galaxy S8?
I find the HTC U11 good, maybe better than S8.

Or get the Pixel, I am unsure as to when is the new one coming.

iPhone X is ridiculously priced, I thought to go for one but I will buy quality riding gear set and a good helmet in that price and or go on a holiday.
Old 27th September 2017, 18:22   #26387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So, what are my options in the Android ecosystem? No basic phones please. And no sub-standard manufacturers either. It's either Samsung, OnePlus, Google, or maybe a Motorola. Budget is up to 60K INR.

If you dont mind the bezels get the pixel. guaranteed updates.

If you dont mind slow updates then the S8 or wait for the LG V30. OP5 is overpriced for what it offers in my opinion. Would rather pay a bit more and get the G6. But ultimately it's your choice. Drop by a good mobile phone store and check out the live models. Oh and welcome to Android
Old 27th September 2017, 18:44   #26388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, what are my options in the Android ecosystem? No basic phones please. And no sub-standard manufacturers either. It's either Samsung, OnePlus, Google, or maybe a Motorola.
Sourav, get the Samsung Note 8 and be happy ever after

It's for 67,900 so a little above the 60k mentioned by you, however, if you have a HDFC credit card you get a four thousand cashback after 120 days. You will also a one time screen replacement for 990 bucks valid for a year and wireless charger worth 4450 free as an introductory offer.

I bought one on 22nd September (moved from the Samsung S7 Edge), its buttery smooth, fantastic camera and screen. The S pen is there for you if you want to use it, which you will eventually. Dual sim, hybrid with 256 gb SD card storage, 64 gb inbuilt memory and 6 gb RAM.

Drop in to any Samsung store and check it out.

Cheers
Old 27th September 2017, 20:00   #26389
BHPian

Quote:
It would not hurt to have a look at Nokia 8. Meets all your specs, Has nearly pure Android experience. Is easy on the pocket and claimed by reviews to be a worthy return of Nokia. India release was yesterday. Released in Europe a 2 weeks back.

By the build quality i saw in the Nokia 6, i feel that this one would be robust as well.
Old 27th September 2017, 20:08   #26390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post

Made an impulse buy of the Audio Technica MSR7 ...

Anyway I am planning to invest on a LG V20 or V30 or the Quad G6.
Between the LG G6 with quad dac at 32K and LG V20 at 23K, what would be a better buy? I want the quad DAC, and everything else is negotiable. Although I like the narrower G6, I think the V20 looks better. Whose camera is better? Would the 5.7" V20 be unwieldy? That said, I'd sleep better if I spent 23K on a phone than 32K.
Old 27th September 2017, 20:14   #26391
BHPian

I have been android user since 2012 and have used phones which have stock android. Samsung S3 was the last non stock android I purchased. I have used mostly Nexus or Moto phones since then and stayed away from phones with bloat ware.

I know that most flagships have improved quite a lot as far as hardware-software optimizations are concerned but then the prices have been prohibitive. The costliest phone that I have bought till date is the Moto X Style which was bought during some FK sale and had cost me around 25 K. I have somehow resisted buying costlier phones till now. No offence meant but when we change a phone every two years splurging on phones just somehow doesn't click with me.

We have 3 Moto phones in our home currently and this time round wanted to try something else as it was getting monotonous. Looked for options and the MI A1 looked a pretty good option. Do we have any other phones except Pixel with stock android which was ruled out due to high cost? How I miss the Nexus series?

MI A1 on paper is a match for Moto G Plus series. Having used the G5 Plus extensively my experience has been pretty mixed bag as far as MI A1 is concerned.

With exactly the same hardware specs as the G5 or G5s plus and stock android the Moto experience was much better. The MI A1 beats the G5 Plus in every other department build, camera, design, sound quality but the software experience is pretty mediocre when compared to the Moto. In short it loses where it matters the most.

I have been playing Real Racing since 2014. The same game was butter smooth on Moto. No freezes, frame drops or audio issues. In MI A1 the audio is garbled, the screen freezes, frames are lost. Somehow the whole experience is not similar to what I had on Moto. Even my older Nexus 4 ran the Real racing better than the MI A1.

My brother uses an OP 3T and compares it with his previous flagship the Galaxy S6. He is more of a flagship user unlike me. He too is pretty disappointed with the OP 3T and has similar feedback. In spite of being a flagship killer its experience is nowhere close to any of the flagships.

Now that Google android one will be embraced by most manufacturers I will stick to a mid-ranger from big players like Samsung, LG or Moto from now. Our experimentation with MI and OP failed miserably

The MI A1 was bought as a birthday gift for my father. But he wanted something with a smaller screen and hence traded my G5 Plus which was just 2 months old. I miss my Moto phone so much.

The best android phone I have used till date continues to be the Nexus 4. I used it for 4 years and then exchanged it for another one for 5K. All I had paid for it was around 10 K.
Old 27th September 2017, 20:41   #26392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
The "Share Location" on Google Maps should be helpful for this.
There is another app Waze for navigation where one can see the people who are logged in. It is probably bought by Google but maps are not yet google maps. Also it is interactive where one can report traffic jam camera etc. Speed per km is also shown in it. When I used it in Mumbai local train it showed offroad though I could see the speed. I have not used it for navigation in car but used in auto. Google maps appear better. No idea about MMI.
Old 27th September 2017, 20:49   #26393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

OP5 is seriously overpriced in my honest opinion. No memory card, ancient HD display, no waterproofing, no quadDACs etc

Had the Moto Z force before i bought the LG V20.
How is the quality of audio in V20? Because it has DAC in built. Is it far better than any flagship? If it is worth then I am waiting for launch of V30 in India and its pricing. Currently using SGNote 4.
Old 27th September 2017, 21:20   #26394
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
Now that Google android one will be embraced by most manufacturers I will stick to a mid-ranger from big players like Samsung, LG or Moto from now. Our experimentation with MI and OP failed miserably
Why not a Pixel then?
Old 27th September 2017, 21:31   #26395
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Between the LG G6 with quad dac at 32K and LG V20 at 23K, what would be a better buy? I want the quad DAC, and everything else is negotiable. Although I like the narrower G6, I think the V20 looks better. Whose camera is better? Would the 5.7" V20 be unwieldy? That said, I'd sleep better if I spent 23K on a phone than 32K.
If I may ask, who is selling the V20 for 23k?
Old 27th September 2017, 22:06   #26396
Senior - BHPian

Purchased a one plus 5 during the great indian sale , and I am thoroughly disappointed with the screen quality. Coming from Note 5 , I found the screen to be washed in comparison to the punchy colors on my note 5. Luckily, my wife obliged to take the One plus 5 and I will continue with my note 5 till the Note 9.
Liked the Note 8 , but I didn't feel the need to upgrade.
Old 27th September 2017, 22:50   #26397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Purchased a one plus 5 during the great indian sale , and I am thoroughly disappointed with the screen quality. Coming from Note 5 , I found the screen to be washed in comparison to the punchy colors on my note 5. Luckily, my wife obliged to take the One plus 5 and I will continue with my note 5 till the Note 9.
Liked the Note 8 , but I didn't feel the need to upgrade.
Have you tried all the display settings? Normally the sRGB mode is the one which appears washed out, though i prefer that. The default mode on OnePlus is extremely saturated which i dislike, but if you prefer punchy colors you can check that. And in OP5 they also added another mode called DCI-P3. Not sure how it is, but i hear it is slightly more punchy than the sRGB but not as saturated as the default mode.
Old 27th September 2017, 23:01   #26398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Have you tried all the display settings? Normally the sRGB mode is the one which appears washed out, though i prefer that. The default mode on OnePlus is extremely saturated which i dislike, but if you prefer punchy colors you can check that. And in OP5 they also added another mode called DCI-P3. Not sure how it is, but i hear it is slightly more punchy than the sRGB but not as saturated as the default mode.
Yes tried all modes, and the OP5 screen is no match to Note 5 screen. Color saturation is the best on Samsung phones.
Old 28th September 2017, 02:53   #26399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Was using Redmi Note 3 since last June.

Be careful. I too had bought a case for my Note 3 which did not last long and I never got another one because it feels much better without cover, but it was very slippery. It had many falls which it survived, but if it falls on its edges, the screen is gone.

FK already had approx 4.5 lakh reviews of this phone, before the sale began
I am a fan of strong covers. My phone is sporting this cover since December and it has survived countless falls and rough use by my kid: https://www.amazon.in/Heartly-Armorb...dp/B01E0IGN1W/

Given the stupidity of mfrs in making slippery phones today compared to the awesome phones of yore (S2 had a raised lip and 1+1 had the anti slip sandstone back) , why not buy a cover? The hassle in changing phones, besides the environmental impact of a replaced screen surely makes up for the bulk. We humans get used to it in no time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hello All,

Is there a navigation app in iOS / Android which lets you create a group and enables you to see the group members cars??
Since we all not starting from same point it's also good to set a route and just monitor each other's cars?
a. Google maps share progress feature. Not used in a group, only seen.
b. Best in that case is the HVK RoutO app. For a long drive, you can purchase custom maps for your route in ~200. Otherwise, you can simply check on each others' location in real time using this app for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Congrats man !
We could be the only 2 on this forum with a U11
My phone got delivered Friday evening and I have been enjoying every bit of it! Sweet deal for a highly underrated device. That red color is gorgeous but I was not sure if I could pull it off.
Thx but I am twiddling my thumbs. FK is intent on earning my wrath. They took a day for the phone to reach from Chennai airport hub to Delhi airport sorting hub. Luckily it is available on Amazon at the same sale price with next day delivery free courtesy prime., so I just called and threatened them with cancellation if it is not delivered by 29th, 8pm. Let's hope it doesn't come to that and that they can make the final 20km journey to my house without any further drama. I even requested that I'll swing by the hub and pick it up, but they won't let me do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Purchased a one plus 5 during the great indian sale , and I am thoroughly disappointed with the screen quality. Coming from Note 5 , I found the screen to be washed in comparison to the punchy colors on my note 5.
What was your opinion on the camera?

Last edited by phamilyman : 28th September 2017 at 02:55.
Old 28th September 2017, 08:09   #26400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

What was your opinion on the camera?
You will need more than one take for the perfect shot. No OIS. Surprised to see that few of my shots ended blurred. Never happened with me on Note 5.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks