Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2017, 23:52   #26311
BANNED

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Curious what you think of the Honor 8 Pro? Folks with both devices rate them equally, and the camera wise, H8P is a bit better except in low light.

In other news, I'm having last minute doubts on buying the S8 - can't believe 58k will get me a phone with just 4GB RAM and I need to spend another 10%. Only the HTC is slightly cheaper and has clearly better specs. I have called almost ten stores that were once listed on HTC's website. Most have either shut down or don't keep the HTC.
Rather than the S8 at 54k(price has dropped), get the S8+ 6GB version with 128 gig storage.

If you are looking to get the most VFM deal, look at the S7 (flipkart will sell it for 27k this sale)
Old 20th September 2017, 00:13   #26312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I got the MI A1 yesterday. Initial impressions are very good. I am impressed with the build quality. Performance is also satisfactory. Haven't tested the phone in full. Please let me know if you have any specific questions. I will try to answer them tomorrow.
Can you tell me what's the SOT you are getting with the MI A1 and how's the overall battery performance of this phone.

Planning to pick either Redmi Note 4 or the A1 but I wonder why Xiaomi gave just 3080 mah battery to the A1 when they give 4000 mah to the Note 4 or even the Redmi 3s.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 20th September 2017 at 00:16.
Old 20th September 2017, 03:14   #26313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys. The One plus 5 looks like the most logical (price & performance) phone to match the Nexus. Let's c!
1+5 vs H8P camera direct comparison:
https://www.mobigyaan.com/honor-8-pr...era-comparison

Personally I am more interested in the photo of the cat - just like children, the cat will simply not sit still enough to take tack sharp photos. The H8P photo is clearly better even though the cat occupies less of the image. Thoughts?

@Agam - the S8+ is simply not on any discount. 66k is pinchworthy territory as well. The 27k sale on the S7 is surely compelling but let me spend some time on youtube now.

Last edited by phamilyman : 20th September 2017 at 03:25.
Old 20th September 2017, 05:53   #26314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Can you tell me what's the SOT you are getting with the MI A1 and how's the overall battery performance of this phone.

Planning to pick either Redmi Note 4 or the A1 but I wonder why Xiaomi gave just 3080 mah battery to the A1 when they give 4000 mah to the Note 4 or even the Redmi 3s.
Hi sherlocked - I got over 5 hours of SOT . I would have got even more but my office has poor mobile reception and hence the less SOT. The A1 will easily last a day without any issues.
Old 20th September 2017, 10:59   #26315
BHPian

Quote:
Curious what you think of the Honor 8 Pro? Folks with both devices rate them equally, and the camera wise, H8P is a bit better except in low light.

In other news, I'm having last minute doubts on buying the S8 - can't believe 58k will get me a phone with just 4GB RAM and I need to spend another 10%. Only the HTC is slightly cheaper and has clearly better specs. I have called almost ten stores that were once listed on HTC's website. Most have either shut down or don't keep the HTC.
If you have any contacts, get S8 from USA. I got mine for just $525 and at that price I am definitely happy with it. Unless you are someone who plays multiple games at same time, 4 GB ram is enough.

If you want a good phone around Honor 8 pro price, look at Google Pixel on Paytm. Effective price after cashback comes to 33k.
Old 20th September 2017, 11:04   #26316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I'm not touching another Huawei with a barge pole, with the way they are handling the Nexus issues, besides I've always been a pure android fan. Will look at minimally skinned or stock options.
Old 20th September 2017, 11:06   #26317
BHPian

Quote:
Only the HTC is slightly cheaper and has clearly better specs. I have called almost ten stores that were once listed on HTC's website. Most have either shut down or don't keep the HTC.
Are you talking about the U11? If yes, then pick it up from Amazon. It's a better overall package as compared to the S8 - better performance, almost stock experience, 6 gigs RAM, 128 gigs internal storage, stereo speakers, best sounding headphones out of the box, excellent camera, beautiful colors (that back side is wow!) etc etc.

Also, the U11 will be released on Flipkart tom at a discounted price. They haven't mentioned at what price though but it could take it below 50k easily. I am personally waiting for that and hoping I get a sweet deal on it
Old 20th September 2017, 14:40   #26318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post

1] Its really annoying. Is there a way to get rid of the close all button or atleast have the front app be positioned a bit higher ?

2] Notifications pane. Is it possible say for Whatsapp to only vibrate in the background while im using another active app instead of popping up in the middle ? This was what used to happen in the previous version.

3] Two of my Apps dont auto start when I restart my phone, eve though all relevant sliders are enabled. Mainly my WiFi Manager and Battery Monitor. The notification area icons and panes in the slide down window only appear if I open the Apps manually after a restart.
1. Yes it is annoying. But I have got used to it and it doesn't bother me much now. Unfortunately, i couldn't find any way to get rid of it.

2. Pull down the notification shade. Long press the settings icon there. This will enable the System UI Tuner. Go to Settings > System UI Tuner > Other > Power notification controls. Turn on power notification controls. Now for each individual application, you can set the notification level either from notification panel when you get a notification or from Settings > Apps.

3. Check if auto-start is enabled for them. Settings > Apps > Click on the gear icon at the top right > scroll down to App auto-launch.
Old 20th September 2017, 19:51   #26319
Senior - BHPian

A friend recently purchased a Redmi Mi4 from India and brought it to the US. However, the SIM doesn't seem to work - showing a "No Service" message. He has checked with AT&T too - they say that this phone doesn't work on their network. I've seen that global versions of this phone work here with AT&T. Is there any way that a different ROM will work with his phone?
Old 20th September 2017, 20:02   #26320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
A friend recently purchased a Redmi Mi4 from India and brought it to the US. However, the SIM doesn't seem to work - showing a "No Service" message. He has checked with AT&T too - they say that this phone doesn't work on their network. I've seen that global versions of this phone work here with AT&T. Is there any way that a different ROM will work with his phone?
Operator bands/frequencies are different in the US and other countries. Better he buys a local phone or one with worldwide compatibility. A new ROM will probably not help.
Old 21st September 2017, 01:52   #26321
BHPian

Quote:
A friend recently purchased a Redmi Mi4 from India and brought it to the US. However, the SIM doesn't seem to work - showing a "No Service" message.
Happened to me too with the same phone 3Gb version. However my data was working fine, just that calls were not working. I managed with whatsapp calls and bought a Op5 later there.
Old 21st September 2017, 04:35   #26322
BHPian

Quote:
I bought a Redmi Note 4x as a temporary phone but didn't get the 4g/LTE network on ATT. I managed to get the 3g on the phone though.
Sold it off and now got the Note8.

Modding the phone with other ROMs wont help since its a bandwidth issue. The only phone I know from the Xiaomi stables that is guaranteed to work in the US is the Mi MIX 2 and the Redmi note 3(global version).
Old 21st September 2017, 07:04   #26323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Are you talking about the U11? If yes, then pick it up from Amazon. It's a better overall package as compared to the S8 - better performance, almost stock experience, 6 gigs RAM, 128 gigs internal storage, stereo speakers, best sounding headphones out of the box, excellent camera, beautiful colors (that back side is wow!) etc etc.

Also, the U11 will be released on Flipkart tom at a discounted price. They haven't mentioned at what price though but it could take it below 50k easily. I am personally waiting for that and hoping I get a sweet deal on it
The price is mouthwatering, but having failed even the so called 960 fps camera of the XZ premium, I won't buy the U11 till I can get a demo.

Do you know someone who owns one? If yes, please connect me with them.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post4264910 is my thought process!
Old 21st September 2017, 08:53   #26324
BHPian

Quote:
Do you know someone who owns one? If yes, please connect me with them.
No one I know owns one. I have seen one in person at Croma. But that was just my luck cause the phone isn't available at stores.

Price is down to 45k plus hdfc discount on Amazon. Same price on Flipkart with SBI discount.

Finally picked up one in Sapphire Blue
Old 21st September 2017, 09:08   #26325
Senior - BHPian

I have had an S8 from the launch and am quite delighted. The way I look at it one keeps a phone for about two years, so amortise the price over that time. Earlier I used to keep the various htc models, before going downmarket to Morotola. I have normally had two units -
one top end and one mid market. Now when I went back to the S8 I realised how much of a subtle difference it makes. Getting used to the slide up control row took some getting used to, but it is now second nature.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks