Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2016, 20:28   #24646
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Are there any deals on for the S7 edge? I am looking to buy one and was counting upon these sale days. Day before Paytm and Yes bank combined to offer a mouth watering 15k off on the Apple iphone 7 and 7+ bringing the price at same level as in USA. I was hoping they could offer something similar with the S7 edge too.
Ironically the S7 edge has been able to hold firm to its price. In fact it has beaten Apple in this regard. There have been a few reports of S7 battery explosion as well, but this has made no impact on the market price.

OP3 has also been firm on price, but that is mainly due to Amazon's exclusivity for selling this.
Old 7th October 2016, 00:28   #24647
BHPian

I have been using the s7 edge for about 4 months and counting. And before that I used a one plus 2 and a xiaomi mi5. Let me just say this, the software experience and camera are way above anything I have used so far. The one plus 2 was a great specced phone, with a not so great camera and one of the worst software experiences. You have to root and fiddle about quite a bit to get it to work well. The mi5 was better in the software department, but again the camera just is no match to the one on the edge. Battery life is way better on the s7 edge as compared to the other two. But since you can probably buy both the phones for the price of the edge, there is a huge trade off.
Old 7th October 2016, 00:34   #24648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
@JonSnow, what you need to do is to use your browser, go to your purchased music in Google Play Music store and download it. Remember each track can be downloaded only twice via means other than the Music Manager app. This limit has been set due to copyright reasons.

See the screenshot.
Ah, the support representative never mentioned this option. I don't know if I can try it now since refund has been initiated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I am perplexed by the lack of enthusiasm for Galaxy flagships S7 or S7 Edge in the forum. Oneplus3 seems to be the favorite android phone of the TBHP crowd. But in my personal opinion OP3 is no match for GS7 having used both. With some cash backs you can get GS7 as low as 40k which is hardly 12K above OP3. With some initial hiccups I am in love with my GS7. This is the best hardware out there at the moment.
12 k is not insignificant though. I was looking for something below 20k when i started searching. I got the OP3 for 26.5k due to cash back offer but that itself was stretching quite a bit. S7 would have better display and better camera no doubt, but OP3 is adequate in these areas (for me) and scores over S7 in other areas. Overall, OP 3 seemed better VFM and s7 was way out of budget anyway.
Old 7th October 2016, 08:44   #24649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
'hardly 12K' is quite subjective .
I did not mean to say 12K is not a substantive amount. But we should understand why people really buy flag ships. You can get almost all the features you need in a Redmi note 3 for 9K. My point is if you are stretching your budget to 27K you can stretch a little bit more and get the best in class. Over a period of the phone's life ie 2-3 years you are spending 12K extra. If Oneplus 3 can sell 3 times the price of Redmi note 3 or 4 times the price of a Redmi 3s, a 12K premium for S7 above oneplus 3 is justifiable at least to me.

I have used OP1, OP2 and OP3. My last phone was a Mi4. But none of these phones can come anywhere near Galaxy S7 which I am currently using. I agree the SW features are lacking compared to MI. But this is such a beautiful and original hardware design, you can't stop admiring its beauty. Also I am almost getting double the battery life of MI4, 2 days with everything turned on and a SOT of 3 hours and 1 hour voice calls . After a R220 phone which I used 14 years back, I have never really liked or used any of Samsung phones till they came up with Galaxy S7 twins.

Last edited by poloman : 7th October 2016 at 08:52.
Old 7th October 2016, 11:01   #24650
BHPian

Quote:
I am perplexed by the lack of enthusiasm for Galaxy flagships S7 or S7 Edge in the forum. Oneplus3 seems to be the favorite android phone of the TBHP crowd. But in my personal opinion OP3 is no match for GS7 having used both. With some cash backs you can get GS7 as low as 40k which is hardly 12K above OP3. With some initial hiccups I am in love with my GS7. This is the best hardware out there at the moment.
I've had bad experiences with Samsung - I hate their UI. The GS7 looks and feels gorgeous but I just cant get my head around the usability. There is another phone that has killer looks - Huawei P9, but look at the UI - It just is bad. I really like the the Moto and Oxygen - Both of which are very close to Google's stock. Hence my preference for OP3 and Pixel/Nexus. I went to pick up the Nexus when it was released, but it felt a ginormous phone (atleast at that point of time), hence chose the OPX.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 7th October 2016 at 11:03.
Old 7th October 2016, 14:05   #24651
Team-BHP Support

I'm thinking of keeping the Moto Turbo I bought on Flipkart for myself, the person in the family I got it for is having second thoughts so will get something else when decided.

At 13999 INR (minus whatever I get for my moto G3), I'm practically left with a (2014) Moto flagship for a 4-figure amount. Not bad at all.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th October 2016 at 14:06.
Old 7th October 2016, 21:37   #24652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am perplexed by the lack of enthusiasm for Galaxy flagships S7 or S7 Edge in the forum...This is the best hardware out there at the moment.
S7 is unique, excellent hardware coupled with the worst software. It would have been an awesome phone if Samsung had option of stock Android.
Old 7th October 2016, 21:52   #24653
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
S7 is unique, excellent hardware coupled with the worst software. It would have been an awesome phone if Samsung had option of stock Android.
Didn't Samsung do a Google Play Edition for the S4? The S7 would be a terrific candidate for a re-do!
Old 7th October 2016, 22:06   #24654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Google Play Edition for ... S7 would be a terrific candidate for a re-do!
Yes, Google play edition with snapdragon SOC would be one heck of a device.
Old 7th October 2016, 22:42   #24655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
I won't say the software is worst. It is pretty rigid and basic. In last two and half months my phone has never hung or faced any software bugs.The software is not feature rich like MIUI. A case in point is apps like 'messages' which are very primitive compared to the one in MI which was miles ahead. One feature I really liked in MI was the service and promotional message filter. Notifications were also better in MI. Another major irritant is the spam apps (to me all social apps are spam) which are uninstallable.
Old 7th October 2016, 23:11   #24656
Senior - BHPian

I have been using the MI5 for the last 3 days.
It's my first experience with MIUI and hence there is some learning curve. So far, I have resisted the temptation to install Nova launcher. I want to try the stock MIUI for some time before I start tinkering.
The UX is kind of mixed. There are lot of inbuilt features which are useful and ideally should be part of stock android. But the way things are laid out and organized are a bit confusing but not a big issue once you get a hang of it.

The device looks great and very premium. I was surprised when I picked it up first - it's very light and slim. But it's very slippery. So, getting a cover is a must.

So far, I have not faced any software bugs or hangs. The device is very snappy. Even the RAM management is pretty good. It is keeping enough apps in memory. Also, I love the ability to lock apps in memory.

The camera is pretty good which has been a pleasant surprise. It is not as good as the S7 but it can compete with S6. The images in daylight or even good artificial light are very good. The low light images are average but very much usable for sharing on social network.

The battery life seems decent as well - I am getting around >4.5 hours SOT with mobile data,wifi,bluetooth turned on.

I picked it up at 14K (18K after discounts and 4K for exchange) from flipkart. I think it is an absolute steal at this price. With a budget of 20K, it should be on anyone's radar.

PS - I see there are quite a few MIUI users in this forum. Can you please share some of the features/tricks in MIUI you love? I am sure I am missing a few things.

Last edited by adimicra : 7th October 2016 at 23:12.
Old 7th October 2016, 23:17   #24657
BHPian

Finally Ditched my lumia 630,was a decent stop gap phone,for a new moto x style that was on clearance sale on flipkart. Got it for about 15k.
I had the the moto razr xt910 before the lumia, served me well for 3 years and now hence decided to go back to moto and android

I was torn between this and the newer lenovo Z2 plus but since i do alot of ebook/ PDF reading went with the bigger moto. I have just a couple of rules when it comes to buying new phones ,the most important being, It shouldn't be too big to fit inside my jeans pockets while riding/sitting but the X style at this price range was too tempting, forcing me to break my rule( Frank martin would understand)

looking forward to another great relationship with moto!
Old 8th October 2016, 07:03   #24658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Just fell for the offer on amazon.in for Redmi Note 3 and moreover the grey color was available in the 32GB variant. INR 1000/- off today and another 15% cashback on purchase from mobile app. Comes to an effective of ~9.35k.
I'm also interested in purchasing the Redmi Note 3, 32GB variant, but could neither find the 15% cash back nor any other offer. Was the offer available only for that particular day or I'm missing something?

Please guide.
Old 8th October 2016, 08:30   #24659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
I'm also interested in purchasing the Redmi Note 3, 32GB variant, but could neither find the 15% cash back nor any other offer. Was the offer available only for that particular day or I'm missing something?

Please guide.
There was a cash back offer on using HDFC Bank cards. 10% on website and 15% on app. The offer was from 2nd to 5th Oct.
Old 8th October 2016, 09:48   #24660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
There was a cash back offer on using HDFC Bank cards. 10% on website and 15% on app. The offer was from 2nd to 5th Oct.
Thanks for the info JonSnow.

Will probably wait for some tempting offers from Amazon. Any idea as to when will be the next sale.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks