Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2016, 08:51   #24586
BHPian

Having used both OP3 and Nexus 6P, my vote goes for nexus 6P. The handset is manageable if you get a good cover. I don't face any issues with the size. It's all a matter of personal choice.
Old 3rd October 2016, 09:24   #24587
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Thats quite abnormally low. After the update and with Greenify and app permissions controlled I am looking to get almost 5 hours of SOT on my one plus x !
I would recommend that you do a factory reset (I did one on mine and then it worked properly). I also recommend Greenify as from my experience it does work!
I am thinking of a factory reset - but just to get all apps and emails back is a mind boggling task! Not that I haven't done it, but absolutely abhor the process.
Old 3rd October 2016, 14:16   #24588
Senior - BHPian

Just fell for the offer on amazon.in for Redmi Note 3 and moreover the grey color was available in the 32GB variant. INR 1000/- off today and another 15% cashback on purchase from mobile app. Comes to an effective of ~9.35k.

I'll be sad if the screen and camera is not, at least, at par with my old Redmi 1s. I couldn't find a direct comparison between the two.
Old 3rd October 2016, 15:04   #24589
Senior - BHPian

Finally ordered the MI5 from Flipkart in the big billion sale.
Cost came to 14.5K with exchange of my old phone.
(3K discount + 10% SBI discount + 3.5K exchange price).

Was thinking between the Z2 plus and Mi5 but decided to go for the MI5 due to - better camera/brighter screen and gorilla glass. Z2 has bigger battery and slightly higher clockspeed (which should not matter in real life).

Had a thought in mind whether to wait for the Google Pixel phones due tomorrow and the Honor 8 (launch expected 12th October). But decided against further waiting as the Pixel phones will be easily over my budget and even the Honor 8 will probably be priced well over 25K.

Any suggestions for custom ROM on Mi5? How wasy/difficult is it root/unlock bootloader etc? My first experience with Xiaomi. Hope it's a positive one

Last edited by adimicra : 3rd October 2016 at 15:05.
Old 3rd October 2016, 15:15   #24590
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Any suggestions for custom ROM on Mi5? How wasy/difficult is it root/unlock bootloader etc? My first experience with Xiaomi. Hope it's a positive one
It's easy to unlock/root, you can follow the guide here - http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=260976

MIUI 8 is pretty sorted. I would suggest you to use it for sometime before deciding if you want to flash a new rom.
Old 3rd October 2016, 16:33   #24591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Finally ordered the MI5 from Flipkart in the big billion sale.
Any suggestions for custom ROM on Mi5? How wasy/difficult is it root/unlock bootloader etc?
Congratulations!

I'd recommend going the official unlock path for unlocking bootloader. I say this by experience (redmi note 3), unofficial unlock is easy but changing roms is a pain with unofficially unlocked bootloader. I was unable to change at will from cm based roms to miui roms and vice versa. My bootloader would get locked even when I flashed 'custom' roms based on MIUI.

Official unlock, though takes a few days, but makes things pretty easy. I'm now using custom MIUI roms and can change to cm based roms by flashing from recovery. My custom recovery also stays intact when changing roms. No need to use miflash tool or anything.

And even if bootloader is locked, all I have to do is just use mi unlock tool to unlock it, whereas earlier, I had to flash a fastboot rom and set up everything from scratch.
Old 4th October 2016, 07:53   #24592
BHPian

So, my s4 finally gave up and am looking not to buy more samsungs . Its dying fast battery discharge heating issue etc

Experts out these which would you recommend.
Approx daily Usage: Calls 30 mins daily, wifi browsing 8 hrs (whatsapp, youtube, chrome etc) and nice camera like s4.

1. Motorola G Play
2. Lenovo k5 plus
3. redmi note 3 (specs are good but looking at 5 inch phone only and those redmi3s are elusive as they come on sale only :()
4. Some alcatel brand ( i hear their radios are excellent and help in good signal reception)

Thank you
//Journo
Old 4th October 2016, 09:44   #24593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadjourno View Post
So, my s4 finally gave up and am looking not to buy more samsungs . Its dying fast battery discharge heating issue etc

Experts out these which would you recommend.
Approx daily Usage: Calls 30 mins daily, wifi browsing 8 hrs (whatsapp, Youtube, chrome etc) and nice camera like s4.

1. Motorola G Play
2. Lenovo k5 plus
3. redmi note 3 (specs are good but looking at 5 inch phone only and those redmi3s are elusive as they come on sale only :()
4. Some alcatel brand ( i hear their radios are excellent and help in good signal reception)

Thank you
//Journo
Out of these three, it easily has to be the RN3. It has kinda become a phenomenon in the budget end market these days, for the well-rounded package that it is. The others are just there for the sake of being there.
The Redmi just kills the processing power and battery departments. Well built too.
Most others in the sub-10k segment are either mediocre devices selling under the 'trust factor' of a big brand badge, or again mediocre devices but this time selling by a single USP, be it looks, battery, etc. Complete packages are very rare to come by.
Earlier, I did have my share of doubts with the Xiaomi brand and service, but today, with devices selling by the truckloads and a now well established brand, one can believe they are here to stay.

Last edited by mukul32 : 4th October 2016 at 09:48.
Old 4th October 2016, 10:07   #24594
BHPian

What will be the best way to download the videos on Android phone (Samsung J5). There are multiple app on the Play store, but the reviews were not very encouraging.
Old 4th October 2016, 11:43   #24595
Senior - BHPian

Thanks @Dry_Ice and @lordvader.
I plan to use the MIUI stock ROM for sometime before switching. And as advised, I will go the official route for unlocking bootloader.

Any Mi5 owners here? How's the experience so far?
My main priorites - battery life (with mobile data - 3G/4G), good Wifi signal reception, camera quality (indoors - normal light not necessarily low light)
Old 4th October 2016, 14:51   #24596
BHPian

I have been using the OP3 for some time now and must admit that it is truly fantastic. Whilst doing my homework, I had narrowed my choices between 3 phones - Iphone 6S+, Nxus 6p and the OP3.
The iPhone lost out as I was pretty sure that with the 7 coming, prices of the 6S would fall. This would impact the re-sale down the line. Also it was the most expensive amongst the 3 and I am a bit too used to Android and hence was worried that iOS might leave me a bit frustrated especially when everything needs to be transferred using the Tuning SW.
The 6p was the best choice then. Nexus - So updates would be coming the earliest to the phone, dual SIM (oh I missed mentioning that the iPhone also lost out due to single SIM option only), all bells & whistles. Then where did it lack? The biggest let down was it DIDN'T support VOLTE. Support for VOLTE was the most important thing for me, hence this got edged out. Also the fact that prices will fall for this in a short time also made me stay away from it.
The Winner - OP3 - Surprisingly this was the cheapest in my final list. The price although a deciding factor didn't influence my decision completely towards it. If that were the case I would have gone with the Redmi Note 3, excellent VFM phone.
Besides VOLTE support, one thing that really went in favour of this phone was the fact that you could root it and the warranty would not be void. Some Apps on Android need a rooted phone to use all the functionalities and the fact that I could do that (root) was the deal clincher.

So... If you are confused as to which phone to buy between these 3 the OP3 is really your best choice.
Old 4th October 2016, 16:10   #24597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
The iPhone lost out as I was pretty sure that with the 7 coming, prices of the 6S would fall. This would impact the re-sale down the line.
When it comes to electronics there is absolutely no point in looking at resale because the way technology changes is astonishing. So dont strike out a phone just because you anticipate lower resale value down the line. The one which you presume would fetch good resale, might not win the race either when you actually try to sell it.

Nexus is stock android I would suggest it if you are looking at an android. I am using a N5 for last 3 years and its been way better than any Samsung or Micromax and the only reason is that it is stock android without any bloatware. Having said that, I would suggest you to wait if not in a hurry because Google will be launching the "Pixel" (nexus replacement) in a month or two. They reportedly have good specs and will have good performance too.

Go for apple if you want a different experience. My friends who have been using apple can swear by it and will never move out of apple for sure. So much so that, one of my friends had his iPhone stolen after which he purchased an android but within a month went back and purchased the iPhone again.
Old 4th October 2016, 21:13   #24598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadjourno View Post
nice camera like s4.

Excuse me journo bro - but those requirements and shortlist are mutually exclusive. In my eyes, RN3 camera is an interpolated VGA camera at best - much worse than my S3. It is the achilles heel of an otherwise mindblowing phone along with the sub par speaker.

http://freerider.in/blog/three-month...-redmi-note-3/ has more detail.

Quote:
The iPhone lost out as I was pretty sure that with the 7 coming, prices of the 6S would fall.
Sorry bro but this is a very poor decision making criteria for two reasons:
a. Given that the average man spends ~2-3 hours interacting with the phone, that's easily 1500 - 2200 hours in two years. On a per hour basis, you save pennies.
b. iPhones hold their resale values best. Compare the resale value of a S3 vs an iPhone 5 (similar era), or an S4 vs 5s. They age better. My S3 is usable only on a custom ROM with the most barebones of apps being installed. My iPad2 still runs over a hundred apps.

Apologies to all those who tried to help on my RN3 data query - turns out that my data pack had run out, and Airtel did not have the courtesy to warn me in advance, nor after the event. Recharged with a smartbyte and now all is well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
^^
You can manually select your 3G network in 'choose networks' option which is below 'preferred network type.'

Sorry, can't send a screenshot now as my phone (mi4i) runs Mokee which is based on CM 12.1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
I had this issue in my colleague's Redmi Note 3. I enabled data roaming (even though he was in home circle), then reset the APN to default.

After this I restarted the phone and it worked.

You do much higher level stuff than this but just suggesting
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
No experience with phones other than Moto. In moto, this is a sign of something wrong with the modem partition. Flashing just the modem would fix it. Your mileage may vary.
Old 4th October 2016, 23:48   #24599
BHPian

Quote:
The 6p was the best choice then. Nexus - So updates would be coming the earliest to the phone, dual SIM (oh I missed mentioning that the iPhone also lost out due to single SIM option only), all bells & whistles.
Nexus also has single SIM actually. Meanwhile, Google Pixel has been launched and will be priced starting from Rs. 57000 in India

Last edited by JonSnow : 4th October 2016 at 23:48. Reason: typo
Old 5th October 2016, 00:51   #24600
Senior - BHPian

Pixel announced at $649. 57K starting in India :(

Apple seems an Angel now. Have to look at 6P I think.

Although free storage on the cloud seems tempting. 57K version will do fine if that is the case. But would have liked the same battery as the bigger model. Wishes....
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screen-shot-20161004-10.06.12-pm.png  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screen-shot-20161004-10.06.21-pm.png  

Last edited by SchumiFan : 5th October 2016 at 00:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks