Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2016, 10:09   #23191
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Oh okay, so coming to my initial question then, how is the build of Lenovo Vibe K4 Note ? This is also has a metal frame but plastic body.

How is MediaTek processor of Lenovo K4 compared to Snapdragon of Redmi Note 3 ?
I was told that MediaTek is a cheap processor brand with performance degrading over a few months of use. Is this true ?
Yes, it is quite true. Mediatek is mostly used in cheap Chinese phones, and not by the tier 1 OEM's or in flagship models, and there must be a reason for that. Qualcomm is usually much better quality, even if it may not seem as much bang for the buck on paper as the Mediatek ones.
The Redmi Note 3 is certainly a much better all-round device as compared to the K4 Note. Especially, performance and battery life are particularly good. The Snapdragon 650 is an excellent performer, and actually benchmarks better than some of the 2160p Snapdragon 808 flagships from last year!
Old 4th April 2016, 12:55   #23192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
Thanks guys for all the quick responses. One of my friends surggested getting a Samsung Galaxy or Note (not the latest ones). Like a S5 or Note 4 and then activate Easy Mode in the settings. Any idea?

The "Easy Mode" on Samsung phones is really good. It hides all the complexity and simplifies the UI (and also increases the size of the icons as far as I remember).

I had set it up for my neighbour who is around 65 years old and I really thought it was good for him. He does not even know how to send SMS, but somehow manages to use WhatsApp.

His phone: Samsung Galaxy E5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Planning to purchase a tempered screen glass for my wife's moto 3G. I have no experience with tempered glasses - are they useful and do they affect the user experience ( eg touch sensitivity ) ? Any other ways of protecting the glass screen ?

I'm looking at http://www.amazon.in/Motorola-Genera...+glass+moto+g3 , this seems to have good reviews . Any other recommendations ?
For the Moto G Turbo, I got this tempered glass:
http://www.amazon.in/Screen-Guard-Ko...ilpage_o03_s00

It is much cheaper than the option that you are looking at.

The packaging was superb. It was as big as the size of the Moto G's box.
There were multiply layers of packing and I felt it was an overkill.

The actual product comes in a nice box and they supply one wet and one dry tissue. There is just one plastic film to peel off. The application process is extremely simple and the cutting/ dimensions are pretty good.

Note that this was the first tempered glass that I have seen.
I found that the 'glass' was quite thick - say as thick as the original glass on the phone. I found that there were a few minor dust particles attached to the tempered glass on the sticky side, which is not easy to get rid off.

So, without experimenting much, I simply fixed it to the phone after wiping the phone's surface nicely.
Magically the glass 'fused' with the mobile. There were two extremely tiny imperfections which remained, but they are so minor that they are barely noticeable. These imperfections were due to the dust which was already stuck on the tempered glass, so, I was expecting that the fit would leave a few bubbles.

In the end for less than Rs. 200, I am satisfied with the product's fitting.

The touchscreen experience seems to be unaffected, but I have hardly used the phone before and after.

Last edited by S_U_N : 4th April 2016 at 12:57.
Old 4th April 2016, 13:36   #23193
BHPian

Thanks friends again for all your suggestions. I am right now a little more inclined towards samsung or iphone. It is not that I think the Redmi and Nexus phones are not better for my purpose. But the said adult (my father) stays in another city. So in case there are any software/hardware issues, I would not be able to take the phone to the authorized repair center. Now my city has Samsung and Apple repair centers nearby. So that is the reason I am inclined towards these two.
Old 5th April 2016, 20:44   #23194
Senior - BHPian

Received the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 for my son

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-redmi-note-3_3.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-redmi-note-3_4.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-redmi-note-3_1.jpg

My pictorial short review of the same is here - http://www.rimweb.in/forums/topic/37...volte-cdmagsm/

Cheers...
Old 5th April 2016, 21:05   #23195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
Thanks friends again for all your suggestions. I am right now a little more inclined towards samsung or iphone. It is not that I think the Redmi and Nexus phones are not better for my purpose. But the said adult (my father) stays in another city. So in case there are any software/hardware issues, I would not be able to take the phone to the authorized repair center. Now my city has Samsung and Apple repair centers nearby. So that is the reason I am inclined towards these two.
I bought the iPhone 5s for my dad last week. While I play the Android spec game, for him the iPhone is good enough. He needs it for calls, whatsapp and music. In that sense, it fits the bill and at 16k at my local store, it's great vfm. The best part is that it was a Feb 2016 piece and the warranty is valid for one year from the date of activation.
Old 6th April 2016, 02:11   #23196
BHPian

Tomorrow is the first flash sale of Xiaomi Mi5 and I have a F-code to spare. If anyone is looking forward to buy Mi5 from mi store app and needs the F-code, just let me know

Last edited by wrongturn : 6th April 2016 at 02:15.
Old 6th April 2016, 09:07   #23197
BHPian

Anyone using good antivirus? Need tips on which would be the best bet. With minimal lag on system.
One of my buddies said that viruses can't harm the Android system or my phone, but I'm sceptical.
Old 6th April 2016, 09:49   #23198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Anyone using good antivirus? Need tips on which would be the best bet. With minimal lag on system.
One of my buddies said that viruses can't harm the Android system or my phone, but I'm sceptical.
I am not sure of viruses. I am sure there can be some adware or some apps which can eat lot of background data.

I am using 360 security. It is free, pretty light and does the job well.
Old 6th April 2016, 10:41   #23199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why do you need an antivirus?
Old 6th April 2016, 12:02   #23200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Why do you need an antivirus?
Why does anyone need antivirus. I'm not sure but I reckon there are viruses which play mischief on Android too. I don't want any of my passwords or such info getting compromised.....
Old 6th April 2016, 14:14   #23201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... ... ...I don't want any of my passwords or such info getting compromised.....
I'm sure that Android is a security disaster waiting to happen. Probably those of us that root are phones might be potentially even more exposed.

Guess I'm just one of the many with their heads in the sand on this

But I block all advertising, which is one of my primary reasons for rooting. If I like an app and use it more than once or twice, I go for the paid option. It's usually a small enough amount to give, supporting someone's work and good ideas for the future. But ads... no.
Old 6th April 2016, 15:04   #23202
Senior - BHPian

What is the popular consensus for the xperia z3 plus?

http://www.amazon.in/Sony-Xperia-Z3-...xperia+z3+plus

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z3+-6878.php

Is it a good buy at 24000? You do get water resistance, brilliant camera, SD 810, 3GB RAM, expandable storage and some other useful features.
Old 6th April 2016, 15:08   #23203
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
What is the popular consensus for the xperia z3 plus?

http://www.amazon.in/Sony-Xperia-Z3-...xperia+z3+plus

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z3+-6878.php

Is it a good buy at 24000? You do get water resistance, brilliant camera, SD 810, 3GB RAM, expandable storage and some other useful features.
It's quite a "hot" phone and I mean quite literally. It runs on the 1st version of the Snapdragon 810 which was known to have a major thermal issue. I think all reviews mention the same thing that the phone can get very hot even with mild applications.
Old 7th April 2016, 23:05   #23204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Received the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 for my son
How is the display quality?

401 ppi the specs say, but from the picture you have put, I see some similarity to the old Redmi Note rather than the crispy Redmi 1s. I'm in so love with the display of the Redmi 1s, but am looking for a replacement due to poor battery.

Will I be disappointed in the display, if going for the Redmi Note 3?
Old 8th April 2016, 07:24   #23205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
How is the display quality?
If you want a S7 display from a sub 10 k phone, then yes you might be disappointed. Though I have not used the phones you mentioned as this is my first Xiaomi product, I have used many HTC's, Samsung Note's, Nexus's et al. Just the other day I was watching a blue ray rip of the new Star Wars and I was impressed. So, no the display doesn't disappoint me in the least, rest the senses are always individual.

Cheers...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks