Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2016, 10:43   #23161
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods - Marshmallow anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Have anyone taken the plunge to upgrade their Note 5 to Marshmallow ?

I'm going to hold on to Lollipop 5.1.1 on my Note 5 and it looks perfect from every sense and well optimized for Note 5; read: awesome battery life and lag free performance, great interface and everything works.
My note 5 is running the latest update MM 6.0.1. It has become faster than what it was when running Lollipop.
I am getting decent battery life with screen on time ranging between 3.25 - 4 hrs.
Idle battery seems to have calmed down after I cleared cache from recovery.

Last edited by F150 : 1st April 2016 at 10:52.
Old 1st April 2016, 10:54   #23162
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Hi all,

I have a one year old Moto G2 running CM13. Some days ago, I dropped it from about 3-4 feet and the screen simply shattered!? This was totally unexpected. Had never expected such bad build quality from Motorola.

Changing the glass will cost a bomb. I have installed a transparent fibre glass screen guard as a stop gap arrangement. It is quite usable now, but there are visible cracks and the touch sensitivity is downgraded(read , typing is a pain now).

The Moto's hardware is nothing close to being future proof. I do a lot of experimenting with ROMs these days and I love using the latest OS available. Use a variety of apps but am not a phone gamer.

So, I don't think that replacing the screen of my Moto would be a good decision. I think it will stay usable for a few months down the line. After that, I will simply buy a new phone when parents permit.

Please chip in your suggestions. I don't want to and rather can't spend more than 12-13k on a new phone. I think I should wait with my broken Moto for now?

Amen! That's my take on buying a new phone too!
RN3 only. K-Note is mostly mediatek = bad ROM support. check 1st (else i'd have k4note by now - great phone otherwise). qualcomm has best rom support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Yeah, the latest OS isn't really all that required of you change your phone once in 3 years or earlier.

Of late, I've been seeing that some apps aren't supported on devices running anything before ICS (v4.0) You can change the look of any android phone with launchers and themes.

So android version is just a number (and not a hindrance) if you're phone isn't too old.
Ditto. I'm advocating kitkat as the base from my POV

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
I'm going to hold on to Lollipop 5.1.1 on my Note 5 and it looks perfect from every sense and well optimized for Note 5; read: awesome battery life and lag free performance, great interface and everything works.
Bro, if it aint broke, DONT FIX IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Thanks Nirvana

This is mainly a phone my office will provide and has a limit of Rs. 7K.

The Redmi Prime is a 4.7 in smartphone.
Was looking at 5 in atleast as I watch a lot of movies on the phones.

Hence was considering the Lenovo mobiles
K3 note on discount else coolpad note 3.
Redmi2 is nice but long in tooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I am a recent Mi convert and agree totally. But do give Mi5 (which incidentally is on marshmallow) a dekko before finalising the RN3 (which I have got for my son incidentally). I also firmly believe that with the hardware getting obsolete in a matter of months now rather than years, it just doesn't make sense to invest big money in it. Mi perhaps has found just the right balance of tech and moolah.

And I rate RN3 much above the OnePlus X because I have bought and used both.

Cheers...
Yes, but this is backup. primary phone is iphone 6!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Absolutely true. I dont find any difference in the android version. MIUI makes up for it. I use the latest MIUI 7 in my Redmi Note and it's super easy and responsive. I do have couple of apps and it tends to perform without any problem.

Coming to the build quality, I was skeptical initially since I downgraded from a Samsung Note to Redmi Note but I made the right move. Samsung note screen broke during it's first fall, but redmi is holding up pretty well after couple of falls. In fact, I threw my phone on to the wall last week during a "friendly" fight at home and surprisingly, it held together with just a scratch on the screen guard.

So Redmi Note 3 is the one to go right now and I have been waiting for it for a month now. And now that MI5 is coming out, I have my eyes on that as well. Do check that as well.
as above!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
To each his own. Cutting edge software might not be an absolute necessity today, but only for a basic usage pattern. A power user would tend to find an outdated OS seriously inadequate.
Still, a new Android version does manage to bring a lot of improvements well worth upgrading to. Android N is bringing universal split screen multitasking for example. And Marshmallow brought doze, app permissions and now on tap. Earlier, Jellybean brought in Google Now.
Now one may argue that they find their battery life adequate and don't need doze, or is okay with giving all permissions to their apps or that they don't use Google now at all. But then it is highly likely to be a light user with such a usage pattern.
Today AOSP itself has enough features not to need any custom skin on top at all.
Stop there. Maybe i'm a luddite but all i want is lag free performance and 24-30 hour battery with 5-7 hours screen time (just like iPhone 6). I don't need anything else.

e.g to me, OPO-Kitkat >>>>> OPO-Marshmallow in terms of battery and not hanging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
For me the latest security updates are very important. So, I go with a phone which has active developer support. That way, when the vendor gives up on us, the good fellows from CM are still there to keep us secure.

Sorry that is a completely different take on what to look for buying a phone.

I am using my 2 year old Droid Maxx on Cm 6.0.1 with the March security update from Google.
Good point. Didnt Mi release official weekly / fortnightly updates? After nexus they have the best update cycles from any mfr officially IMHO, right up there with Moto.
Old 1st April 2016, 14:37   #23163
Senior - BHPian

Anyone upgraded moto G3 to 6.0 from 5.1.1 ? How's the experience ?

I bought a moto G3 for my wife that's at 5.1.1 and can see the 6.0 update, but there are a lot of complaints on the 6.0 update on the net.

http://www.gsmarena.com/newscomm-15702.php
Old 1st April 2016, 14:47   #23164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post

I bought a moto G3 for my wife that's at 5.1.1 and can see the 6.0 update, but there are a lot of complaints on the 6.0 update on the net.

I moved from 5.1.1 to 6.0 to 6.0.1 (maintenance update received a couple days ago).

There are no ground-breaking differences that make it a must-have. If 5.1.1 performs stable for you, no REAL reason to upgrade except the itch to stay current.
Old 1st April 2016, 15:24   #23165
Senior - BHPian

@Phamilyman

The K3 Note even at discount is at Rs. 9.2K.
Bought one Killer Note for wife and she is delighted with the phone though.

How is the new Lenovo phone Vibe p1M?
Does it have Dolby Atmos?

Any alternatives? Lenovo A6000 Plus??
Old 1st April 2016, 15:49   #23166
BHPian

Quote:

My Mom's Moto G3 was updated to 6.0 and we haven't noticed any problems so far. Her usage is minimal though.
Old 1st April 2016, 17:23   #23167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No computer hardware is future-proof. They evolve at incredible speeds,
What's future-proof mean anyway? Goes on working, right? And, as long as it does that, what do we really have to complain about?

The latest version of everything is not obligatory. If it so happens that one of those latest versions of something requires hardware that only came out after we bought, then... tough! We do without. Or spend more money and buy again. The hardware guys would prefer the latter, but we do not have to play along.

I think it is reasonable, given the prices of even lower-budget (say ten to twenty K) phones to expect that the hardware is going to last several years. These days, people are not even waiting that long to find out! Everybody seems to have forgotten one thing: this is actually a lot of money to spend on a gadget.

For those with the disposable income, I'd be the last to deliver lectures on consumerism; I'm a shopaholic! Buy, enjoy! But if it is just a case of another 0.0.1 upgrade and, boohoo, it doesn't run well on my hardware, then let's think again. So what! stick with what does run on our hardware. If we were happy with it yesterday, then why not be happy tomorrow too.

Spending is fun, but let's get off this version/software roller-coaster. It's just the old intel/Microsoft story over again, and we don't need it.
Old 1st April 2016, 17:32   #23168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Absolutely no complaints. the phone is running as smooth as ever, and my mother, who uses this phone, is happy with it. When I used it recently (post the update) I found nothing to complain about, the performance is as slick and lag free as usual. Please go ahead and download the update.
Old 1st April 2016, 17:51   #23169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Absolutely no complaints. the phone is running as smooth as ever, and my mother, who uses this phone, is happy with it. When I used it recently (post the update) I found nothing to complain about, the performance is as slick and lag free as usual. Please go ahead and download the update.
Phone works flawlessly after updating to 6.0. As mentioned in an earlier post, my experience with it has been very good.

Though a recent update to 6.0.1 has resulted in instances of ghost touch while scrolling up and a slightly higher battery consumption.
Old 1st April 2016, 18:13   #23170
Senior - BHPian

It seems all the mothers are using Moto G3.
I got one for my mother too - G3 Turbo from the sale on Amazon last week. I am yet to give her the phone, just waiting for the screen protector to reach via courier.

I was planning to unlock the bootloader, root the device and block ads, but decided to hold off for few months - since I could see some hardware complains on this model (mainly around touch).
Old 1st April 2016, 18:20   #23171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
It seems all the mothers are using Moto G3.
Haha. Maybe it can be renamed from Moto G to Mata-G
Old 1st April 2016, 23:47   #23172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
They actually don't have to update. Because unlike other companies which take stock android and add their skin to it Xiaomi actually takes the Android Code and modifies it. If they need to add any new feature or fix secutiry issues they just need to push a small update, unlike others where usually whole OS needs to be pushed out.Plus how does it matter if it is running on Kitkat or Android M/N. MIUI almost has all the features of M/N.

I don't own a Xiaomi but I am highly impressed with their MIUI. Its functional and just works. Rather i would rate Xiaomi better than OnePlus and other Chinese brands.
I completely agree to what is said here. On Mi devices it doesn't matter which Android OS you are on. The MIUI is packed with so many useful features which are nice. Xiaomi have taken a thorough approach to MIUI development and it shows in their products.
I, for one, used two Moto devices in the past before moving to Mi4c (Snapdragon 808, 3gb RAM) and am really happy!
Thinking of buying another device for my Dad (redmi prime) where he can use XL size text.
Old 2nd April 2016, 10:41   #23173
BHPian

I am looking to root my moto x play. Can anyone please post a proper and working one?
Old 2nd April 2016, 23:11   #23174
BHPian

Re: EU MIUI ROM (unofficial multi language) without root possible?

Quote:
With an unlocked bootloader, there's no need to root your phone to flash the rom. Sorry, I don't know the answers to the other two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
If you install it or any custom ROM for that matter, yes, you can go back to your original firmware, but you will lose your data in the process.
And as bootloader unlock is involved, yes the warranty will be void.
Thanks both for your comments / suggestions. By the looks of it, I have a locked bootloader. And I am too lazy to request for an unlock code from Xiaomi.
May be using a Developer ROM will enable this?
Old 2nd April 2016, 23:31   #23175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Thanks both for your comments / suggestions. By the looks of it, I have a locked bootloader. And I am too lazy to request for an unlock code from Xiaomi.
May be using a Developer ROM will enable this?
No, you will have to request an unlock code. You can't install a custom rom with a locked bootloader.

Trust me the most labour intensive part would be choosing and keeping a custom rom, once you have a hang of the process.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks