Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2015, 13:26   #21301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I tried to buy the Xperia Z Ultra in many brick and mortar stores and failed. It was available online for Rs 19k though. But reading a few stories about receiving refurbished phones as new ones caused concern, so I played safe and bought the Moto G2 for Rs 9.8k.

But I had to visit Saravana Super Store at Chromepet a couple of days back, and found they have it in stock. Price is Rs 18.6k. If anyone in Chennai is interested in that phone, that is where you have to go.
Old 20th May 2015, 19:09   #21302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
But reading a few stories about receiving refurbished phones as new ones caused concern, so I played safe and bought the Moto G2 for Rs 9.8k.
Hello,
I too booked the Moto G2 yesterday. Can you share a short review of the phone?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
petrolhead_neel
Old 20th May 2015, 19:36   #21303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
Nexus 5, broken glass but touch is working fine, I am given to understand the glass alone is not available so both the glass and LCD need to be replaced. Got quote from LG service center for 8200/- while outside shops quote ~5,000. Any recommendations if someone has got it replaced from the local market or is LG service center the only way to go for hassle free experience? (Have heard of stories where the phone itself started misbehaving and became unusable after local market repairs)
Got it replaced for 7600 from LG in bangalore. Took about 30mins. Everything is fine apart from the back cover not sitting properly. Suggest stick to original.

Last edited by ampere : 21st May 2015 at 01:13. Reason: words corrected
Old 20th May 2015, 19:52   #21304
Senior - BHPian

Eagerly waiting for the Moto G3 - 2GB RAM and 1.7 Ghz quad core on a 5" display with stock android experience and guaranteed android updates.
Old 20th May 2015, 20:18   #21305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
petrolhead_neel
It is the first smartphone of a long time dumb phone user (me)! So I really am not fit to write a review right now. My be after a few more weeks of exploration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Eagerly waiting for the Moto G3 - 2GB RAM and 1.7 Ghz quad core on a 5" display with stock android experience and guaranteed android updates.
I suppose it will have 4G too?
Old 21st May 2015, 10:54   #21306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Dude, can't thank you enough.

Haven't uninstalled Facebook but don't use it anymore. Have switched off location services. With moderate use of WhatsApp & a bit of browsing using Chrome [on data connection] my phone is at 15-20% battery level by the time I am home at night.

Take note, I recall you being unhappy with N5's battery as well. This works

Now, I am not going to change my phone. I have used androids and none of the handsets come close to what Nexus offers. No hang or lag. If its android, has to be Nexus/Google phone.

With Root and greenify you can make your phone go to deep sleep and hence last for at least an hour more. I'd recommend uninstalling facebook too, you can always access it via chrome, else greenify it.
Old 24th May 2015, 15:43   #21307
Distinguished - BHPian

I know Samsung is no longer flavour of the month or even of the year, but my wife decided to ditch her Nokia 520 and, now she is so used to her tablet, go completely Android. Comparing models and reading reviews makes my head hurt very soon, and, anyway, it's her phone (which she will use a lot) so I left it to her and she settled on a choice between Samsung A3 and E5.

I much preferred the smaller phone, mostly because... it's small (but not too small). She decided that, at roughly the same price, she would go for the larger. Despite the selling point of the A series being a metal case, the physical look and feel is actually much the same.

She won't have a nano SIM for it until Monday, so its prime purpose has yet to be tested, but I have been setting up the wifi and tweaking one or two of the settings, and found it very nice indeed.

She did not take my advice that, if she had gone for Asus, the user interface would have been identical to her tablet instead of being Samsungized --- but it's still Android, and I don't think she will have much problem. It is a little strange that the home button is a physical push, but the touch buttons either side are invisible: you just have to know to touch them.

My 3-yr-old Defy+ now has severely degraded sound. I guess I have to go shopping too.
Old 24th May 2015, 22:04   #21308
BHPian

Received my Samsung Galaxy S4 on 12th May which I ordered on amazon during the super sale. Phone is pretty good and takes some breathtaking snaps with it's 13MP rear shooter. The front camera i.e a 2MP camera takes equally good selfies. Didn't expect the 2MP front camera to be so good. I'm loving the phone except the battery backup. It's barely giving me a battery backup of 5-5.5hrs if mobile data is on. I tried everything from switching on the power saver mode to clearing background apps. The phone would simply not give a battery backup of more than 5.5hrs. Without the mobile data on, the phone easily last for more than a day. Practically, one doesn't have much work to do with a phone which is not connected to the Internet except calling and listening to music. I tested the phone by not using any heavy apps, not playing music, not playing games. I just used whatsapp and Facebook and few mins of calling, even then also the phone won't give a decent battery backup. I tried running the phone in Safe Mode for an hour, the battery decreased by 14% by just browsing Team-BHP for half an hour. In safe mode, the battery is not supposed to drain so much in an hour because all the 3rd party apps are disabled during safe mode. I unplugged my phone at 9:10PM after charging it to 100% and now it's 10:08PM and the battery is already 81%. I'm very frustrated with the phone. I contacted BHPian Leoshashi and he said it surely is a battery fault after asking me few things. I'll be going to the service centre after my exams, not willing to take the extra hassle before the exams as I already have visited service centre here in Kolkata and they didn't solve my problem.

Can anyone suggest me what to for the time being. It would be really helpful.

P.S- I still have the option of returning the phone to amazon till 26th May but I'm not willing to do so as I got the phone in a very low price. I got it for 15k where as the retail price is 23k here in Kolkata and not below than 18k on any online shopping site. This phone has lots of features and the best part is the camera which has kept me hooked to it.

Regards,
Swapnil

Last edited by Swapnil_Alto : 24th May 2015 at 22:08.
Old 24th May 2015, 23:31   #21309
BHPian

Hey all! I need an android phone within 20k, any suggestions?
How is the one plus one? What about its service backup?
Also is the nexus 5 worth buying now that it's almost discontinued?
Old 25th May 2015, 00:04   #21310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
petrolhead_neel
Moto G2 is a nice phone albeit it could have been a little more powerful in its second version. My detailed review about it can be read here
Old 25th May 2015, 09:59   #21311
Distinguished - BHPian

Any using the MiPad? any first hand reviews?

Looking to buy it for my folks - primary usage will be surfing/FB/Skype/Audio/Video.
Old 25th May 2015, 10:21   #21312
Senior - BHPian

First issue being faced in Asus Zenfone 5.

The Mic is not working as it should be. The opposite party to whom I have called have been complaining of not able to hear my voice. The voice comes too feeble. Even my Boss complained of the same.

Any Zenfone5 owners can relate to this issue and how can it be resolved? Is going to the service centre the only alternative?? The phone is still in warranty.
Old 25th May 2015, 10:58   #21313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Moto G2 is a nice phone albeit it could have been a little more powerful in its second version. My detailed review about it can be read here
Thanks a ton for the review! It is one of the most unbiased reviews ever.

Cheers,
Neel
Old 25th May 2015, 11:40   #21314
BHPian

What's a good phone under a 10K budget with expandable storage, close-to-stock android experience and decent battery? The phone also has to be reliable, lag-free, and hopefully won't heat under average gaming.
Old 25th May 2015, 12:02   #21315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Any using the MiPad? any first hand reviews?

Looking to buy it for my folks - primary usage will be surfing/FB/Skype/Audio/Video.
My wife has been using the Mi Pad for precisely the same purposes for more than a week now. I find it to be value for money. Good build, long lasting battery and an uncomplicated user interface. The display is amazing. The back cover is a little slippery so it needs to be handled carefully. I have faced none of the unresponsive touch key/intermittent shutdown/heating issues that some customers have complained of.

I also bought a ProElite 360 degree rotating cover for the Mi Pad from the manufacturer's website where it was listed at a much cheaper price than at Amazon or Flipkart.

I hope this helps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks