Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2015, 14:27   #21226
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I am looking for an Android phone in the INR 5-10K range for my mother - usage is primarily calls and a little bit of whatsapp. Any recommendations? I prefer something with a reasonably strong battery life...
Old 1st May 2015, 14:27   #21227
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Thank you! So Xioami and One Plus One are from the VFM category. Also looking forward to hear some conventional company phones (Samsung/LG/Sony/HTC).
I have heard very good things about the Note 3 Neo. Comes with an amazing battery life too. Do check it out.

http://www.flipkart.com/samsung-gala...2-695d373a9a59

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
I am looking for an Android phone in the INR 5-10K range for my mother - usage is primarily calls and a little bit of whatsapp. Any recommendations? I prefer something with a reasonably strong battery life...
Moto G 2nd Gen. Great phone at it's current price.

http://www.flipkart.com/moto-g-2nd-g...43057&srno=b_6

However, if you want only calls and Whatsapp, check the Nokia Lumia 630 single sim. Heard it's available for less than 5k now.

Last edited by Eddy : 1st May 2015 at 14:48. Reason: Merged
Old 1st May 2015, 15:39   #21228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is simple - tier three from the majors, and tier two from the Chinese and Indians, esp if they are not on Android, but derivatives. You may even get level one on the latter. I have an htc Desire X whih is on Gingerbread and is more than fine for my wife, while I am on htc One M7, horses for courses as they say.
Old 1st May 2015, 16:02   #21229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I picked up a RedMi 2 recently. Impressive device for 6,999 - its not without faults, for the usage you're considering it is more than sufficient and capable. Nice camera, too.
Old 1st May 2015, 16:50   #21230
BHPian

Quote:
Moto e 4g for lag free and close to vanilla android experience, promised updates, 64 bit soc and build quality. Xiaomi devices if you want the best spec for your buck but miui is heavy and will lag. As a nexus user I'll suggest you to go with moto.
Old 1st May 2015, 18:31   #21231
BHPian

Thanks Oxy, SGIITK, and Steeroid. I'll focus my research on your suggestions. Haven't been in the market for a phone (using a company provided device) for quite sometime now, so not much idea of phones!
Old 1st May 2015, 23:17   #21232
PPS
Senior - BHPian

I seem to have an issue with my 2yr old Samsung S3 !

It has worked very well for the past 2yrs & i have become a fan of Android. Since past couple of days whenever i have been using Google maps the screen has started flickering & the battery percentage dropped by about 50% suddenly & on some occasions the phone also switched off & only 5% battery remained!
Today while using some other app the phone flickered & suddenly switched off ! Tried to restart it again & it couldn't restart as only Samsung logo was shown. Had an anxiety attack.
Went online for a search & somehow by pressing home button,volume key & power switch together cleared the cache & managed to reboot. The phone is back to normal now & i can breathe easy for now.
Now I would like to ask should i get the battery changed i.e. if its a battery issue? Or maybe its due to some faulty app.
Has anybody faced this issue on their S3 ?
Old 2nd May 2015, 08:11   #21233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
I seem to have an issue with my 2yr old Samsung S3 !

Since past couple of days whenever i have been using Google maps the screen has started flickering & the battery percentage dropped by about 50% suddenly & on some occasions the phone also switched off & only 5% battery.

Now I would like to ask should i get the battery changed i.e. if its a battery issue? Or maybe its due to some faulty app.
Has anybody faced this issue on their S3 ?
Hi, my wife's S2 had a similar issue of sudden drop in battery charge. The simple fix she tried for few days was reboot - this brough back the charge to original level immediately. But this was temporary,:thumbdown: as the problem reoccured.
Then we went for a new battery & now the device is perfectly normal. The device is 2.5+ years - I think that's the life of battery with everyday charge discharge cycle. Now the old battery serves as spare for emergency.
Old 2nd May 2015, 08:35   #21234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
.......Since past couple of days whenever i have been using Google maps the screen has started flickering & the battery percentage dropped by about 50% suddenly & on some occasions the phone also switched off & only 5% battery remained!
Today while using some other app the phone flickered & suddenly switched off ! Tried to restart it again & it couldn't restart as only Samsung logo was shown. Had an anxiety attack....
It is just a battery issue, time for a replacement!
I used to have the same problems with my S2 which I always left for overnight charging.
After the battery is fully charged, continuing to charge kills the battery life - it will last 6 months to max 1 year!
What I do now is different, charge it during daytime (when I can monitor the charge levels) to 95%, use the phone until the charge drops to 15%, then charge again.
You will be surprised at how long the battery will last!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 2nd May 2015 at 08:36.
Old 2nd May 2015, 22:05   #21235
Senior - BHPian

One plus One upgraded to Android 5.0.2 lolipop. Colours pop and new icons seem a bit cartoonish, rest is par for the course.
Old 3rd May 2015, 14:29   #21236
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
It is just a battery issue, time for a replacement!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshnr View Post
Then we went for a new battery & now the device is perfectly normal.
The problem re-occurred while using another app, the screen started to flicker & the battery nosedived. I guess i'll just buy a new battery tomorrow. Thanks guys.
Old 5th May 2015, 00:23   #21237
Senior - BHPian

Is anyone happy with lollipop updates or am i the only one who feels Kitkat was far more stable with respect to both features and battery life?

Lollipop doesnt seems to be optimized for older fones.

My Nexus 5 is losing battery faster than my those cheap AA batteries on a RC car.
Old 5th May 2015, 06:05   #21238
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Is anyone happy with lollipop updates or am i the only one who feels Kitkat was far more stable with respect to both features and battery life?

My Nexus 5 is losing battery faster than my those cheap AA batteries on a RC car.
Same here for OPO, battery back is the worst I have seen in a long time. I am back to KitKat. Also the phone heats up like crazy.
Old 5th May 2015, 07:49   #21239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
Same here for OPO, battery back is the worst I have seen in a long time. I am back to KitKat. Also the phone heats up like crazy.
In OPO it was issue with Google playservice 7.3.29 (the latest), for some crazy reason doesn't let phone to sleep. More here. Is same is affecting Nexus 5?

I am having similar issue with my Nexus S (I know its old, but its nexus!). I couldn't find a way to make it work unless I disable play service.
Old 5th May 2015, 08:49   #21240
Distinguished - BHPian

My Samsung note 2 phone got stolen. I have the imei number. Can I block the phone and make it unusable?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks