Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2015, 15:47   #20821
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
What concerns me is that I've been seeing people complaining about the entire metal frame of the Mi4 getting heated. This could be a problem for me.

I dont play heavy games on my phone, so cant comment on that, but with full youtube / 3g / GPS, I noticed no uncomfortable heating of the phone.

OT:

A hypothetical question

Phone A and Phone B have same processor and hardware.

Both are asked to do the same tasks. Both processors generate heat.

Phone A has a metal body, and the metal frame's temperature rises.

Phone B has a plastic body and the temperature rises but user is insulated from the rise in temperature.

Query:

Logically wont the metal body also dissipate the heat faster (to user hand/environment) and hence allow the overall temperature of the phone and hence processor to be cooler?
Old 2nd March 2015, 16:27   #20822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Query:

Logically wont the metal body also dissipate the heat faster (to user hand/environment) and hence allow the overall temperature of the phone and hence processor to be cooler?
Yes, a metal body should dissipate the heat faster, effectively acting like a heat sink. Well, that's the theory anyway.
Old 2nd March 2015, 16:34   #20823
BHPian

Quote:

A hypothetical question
Maybe it doesn't apply to certain phones
Old 2nd March 2015, 16:40   #20824
Team-BHP Support

It's a bit unfair to expect smartphones to stay cool with the kind of processing demands apps and games have these days. Remember most phones don't have active heat-dissipation (like laptops/computers), so heat will always be an issue, minor or major, depending on design/materials.

A metal body will dissipate heat faster/better as it will act as a heat-sink but will concern the paranoid user, while a plastic body will retain the heat longer but keep the user happy.

Ultimately, it's the user's choice what he wants to cook, his hand(s) or the phone's internals. The heat has to go somewhere.
Old 2nd March 2015, 16:44   #20825
Senior - BHPian

MI4 phone heats up like hell, that is the hard reality, sadly. The metal body may be cooling the processor well, but the entire heat is transferred on to your ear and head.
I have never seen a phone heating up like this while charging. If you receive a call while charging, no other option than using a headphone.
I expect the phone to be reasonably cool atleast while making a call. The resource requirement is minimum during the call and the mi4 heating during call clearly points to an optimization problem.

Last edited by poloman : 2nd March 2015 at 16:46.
Old 2nd March 2015, 16:47   #20826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
MI4 phone heats up like hell, that is the hard reality, sadly. The metal body may be cooling the processor well, but the entire heat is transferred on to your ear and head.
I have never seen a phone heating up like this while charging. If you receive a call while charging, no other option than using a headphone.
Have you tried getting it replaced? It may be a problem specific to your handset.
Old 2nd March 2015, 16:52   #20827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
Have you tried getting it replaced? It may be a problem specific to your handset.
I replaced it once, but the problem is persisting. Warm is acceptable but not hot. The major problem is the metal frame specially the segment on the top is reaching temperatures as high as 50 deg, bottom side is relatively cool. The heat is even passed on to the face through the glass front side. So it is not entirely a metal structure issue.
Old 2nd March 2015, 17:09   #20828
BHPian

Quote:
I replaced it once, but the problem is persisting. Warm is acceptable but not hot. The major problem is the metal frame specially the segment on the top is reaching temperatures as high as 50 deg, bottom side is relatively cool. The heat is even passed on to the face through the glass front side. So it is not entirely a metal structure issue.
50 degrees Man I hate it when it gets so hot that that you can't even speak on the phone. Getting hot while plying games is understandable, but not on calls! It's very irritating!
Old 2nd March 2015, 18:22   #20829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bro under what conditions are you attaining this heat? Please tell me as i would try and recreate the circumstances.

I would like to try this and if mine heats up, its going back to flipkart for a refund.
Old 2nd March 2015, 18:46   #20830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bro under what conditions are you attaining this heat? Please tell me as i would try and recreate the circumstances.

I would like to try this and if mine heats up, its going back to flipkart for a refund.
The worst case scenario is you getting a call while the phone was being charged. Even if you remove charger and continue with the call, it becomes unbearable atleast for me. i had to discontinue the call more than once due to this problem.
My phone heats up more than usual in all of the following scenarios.
Charge for more than 10 minutes
5 minutes of gaming
More than 20 minutes of call.
If you have an infrared thermometer you can measure the temperature and see for yourself or else you can search on net. Lot of reports are available.

Last edited by poloman : 2nd March 2015 at 18:50.
Old 2nd March 2015, 21:58   #20831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MI4 phone heats up like hell ....If you receive a call while charging, no other option than using a headphone.
Quote:
The worst case scenario is you getting a call while the phone was being charged.
It can be very dangerous to talk on the mobile while it is being charged. There are many instances of battery exploding with disastrous consequences to the face, jaw and head. ( source There are many such links)

Last edited by for_cars1 : 2nd March 2015 at 21:59.
Old 2nd March 2015, 22:27   #20832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
It can be very dangerous to talk on the mobile while it is being charged. There are many instances of battery exploding with disastrous consequences to the face, jaw and head. ( source There are many such links)
I don't make or receive call when the charger is connected. That is why I told even if you remove charger while making the call the heat sustains.
An update on this. The heating up is substantially reduced when I used HTC and Lenovo chargers. Looks like problem is specific to Xiaomi charger or due to the quick charging technology used to speed up the charging.
A nice article on Quick Charge 2.0 claimed to be present in MI4.
http://www.androidauthority.com/quic...lained-563838/

Last edited by poloman : 2nd March 2015 at 22:38.
Old 2nd March 2015, 22:56   #20833
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
So should I only use it in conjunction with seat belts? No, wait, that's air bags

Seriously: I've heard of fires starting in pockets, but I never knew this risk. Is it caused bythe combination of use and charge, ie wouldn't have exploded just on charge?

EDIT: I now read the given link.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 2nd March 2015 at 23:01.
Old 2nd March 2015, 23:04   #20834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An update on this. The heating up is substantially reduced when I used HTC and Lenovo chargers. Looks like problem is specific to Xiaomi charger or due to the quick charging technology used to speed up the charging.
Dude... get your phone changed ASAP.

I got scared reading your posts and installed a CPU temp monitor and Antutu Benchmark.

Default processor temp was at 45 C. I ran Antutu Thrice (Got 45xxx all three times). Processor temperature shot up to 75 degree C.

Now I tried to see where the phone was heating up. The top heated up slightly. The area near the camera also got warm. The volume button area was the warmest. But the phone still wasnt uncomfortable to hold!

P.s. Is your phone in Performance mode or Balanced Mode?
Old 5th March 2015, 21:58   #20835
BHPian

My moto g got updated to lollipop. If I do a factory reset will it go back to kitkat or stay at lollipop.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks