Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2015, 09:04   #20776
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Planning to upgrade from the Moto G to another android for want of a much better camera and more storage or option to add more storage (64GB compatible). Extremely disappointed with quality of photos from recent trip.

Budget is 20K, but as less as possible. Is the One the only decent option with stretching the budget by another 2K or is there anything else worth the money?

Not too keen about Samsung, but if the S4 is worth the salt then I'm in.
S4 is still a decent phone. I had one lying around. Upgraded recently to the lollipop Touchwiz and doesn't feel that bad as they used to be. Camera is lovely and call quality is excellent (comparing it to an iPhone 5S). Battery life after 2 years is 3.5-4 hours of screen time. Seems to be a good buy at 17.9K and the new leather finish back cover is a welcome change IMO.

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 24th February 2015 at 09:05.
Old 24th February 2015, 09:15   #20777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
S3 neo is the only one in that range that comes with a decent camera. S3 + Touchwiz is not a good combination, but am hoping it is better since the Neo has half a gig of RAM more.
Oops! S3 (2013) is the one we've put on Sale, and are looking for a replacement.
I don't think, the S3 Neo would even be considered; in fact no Samsungs at all!
Old 24th February 2015, 09:33   #20778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Quick question to the Gurus-

If I were to ask for a phone, within 8-12k INR, and does just 4 things very well; what would that be?
1. Outstanding Camera quality (particularly indoors)
2. Outstanding Call quality
3. Legible and clear display with decent touch response
4. Strong Build quality

Preferably an Android, over any other!
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Oops! S3 (2013) is the one we've put on Sale, and are looking for a replacement.
I don't think, the S3 Neo would even be considered; in fact no Samsungs at all!
I do not think you would get anything else in that range that would beat the S3 in camera quality. Also at 8-12K you would be hard pressed to find anything that is a worthy replacement to S3. If it is the lag you are trying to address, I suggest you downgrade to 4.1 JB, or root and remove all the lagwiz apps.

But, if indoor camera quality is very important, then even the S3 fails the test. Look at the Lumias. My Lumia 925 beats the S3 hands down while indoors. Call quality is great, beautiful AMOLED display, touch works with fingernails too. WP UI is lot more legible and cohesive than any Android. And the icing in the cake, top notch build quality.
Old 24th February 2015, 10:02   #20779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I do not think you would get anything else in that range that would beat the S3 in camera quality. Also at 8-12K you would be hard pressed to find anything that is a worthy replacement to S3. If it is the lag you are trying to address, I suggest you downgrade to 4.1 JB, or root and remove all the lagwiz apps.

But, if indoor camera quality is very important, then even the S3 fails the test. Look at the Lumias. My Lumia 925 beats the S3 hands down while indoors. Call quality is great, beautiful AMOLED display, touch works with fingernails too. WP UI is lot more legible and cohesive than any Android. And the icing in the cake, top notch build quality.
Thanks! 925 is the first good suggestion so far, for our needs and preferences. Let me check that out.
S3 has proven to be a pathetic camera and phone for us; even my ZF6 beats it any day on Camera Performance!
Old 24th February 2015, 14:43   #20780
BHPian

Need your help.

While trying to remove the SIM Card, I damaged the SIM reader pins of my Mi3. On talking to Xiaomi service center, they advised to change the entire motherboard

The way the phone is designed, the SIM Pins are soldered to the mainboard directly, unlike the majority of the phones where the SIM reader/Pin is a replaceable unit.

Well, the bigger shock is that they don't have parts in stock and it might take 2+ months.

Can someone guide me to a good mobile repair shop in Bangalore (preferably Indiranagar/Koramangala)? From the net, i understand that soldering 4pins would solve the problem. Thank you.

Last edited by xotiq : 24th February 2015 at 14:44.
Old 25th February 2015, 10:14   #20781
Senior - BHPian

@xotiq, long, long ago, when the xpresss music series of Nokia was just launched, this happened to my Nokia XM. So not a rare happening. Luckily, ii was still under warranty then.

BTW, nobody here got the latest from Samsung? Look good on ads. Ummm, more shapely and appealing than the models showing them off. Actually.

Also, isn't it possible to disable built in apps and bloatware without having to root the phone?
Old 25th February 2015, 19:20   #20782
BHPian

With a view to measure and rate my own driving, I researched for Apps in this area. I recently installed “Flo” available at the Play Store.

Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=com.decos.flo

Pros:

• Uncomplicated usage. The app automatically detects the commute and measures it.

• Endomondo style statistics with Map, average speed, time and distance.

• Nice UI.

Cons:

• The scoring model does not make sense. My daily commute is ~18 Kms long with fair share ofstop & go traffic and small highway stretches (think of a typical Delhi travel). I normally score around 80 with an average speed of 25-35 Kmph. Now on highway journeys the score should be better. Instead, I average around 50. This is totally out of sync with the real world fuel consumption and resultant (lower) pollution levels. On one occasion, it tracked train travel over 80 Kms, with an average of 70 Kmph. The train scored rather low at 50! – this is despite trains being known for steady speeds.

• Consumes a lot of battery, presumably due to the constant GPS monitoring. I guess this can be controlled via manual recording – but it will take away from the ease of use.

• GPS errors screw up the statistics. But then this is not the App’s fault.

Bottomline: Intentions and User Experience aside, the app fails miserably in its core promise of helping you improve your driving because the scores are contradicted by real world data.

Phone Used: Oneplus One
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20150225154958.png  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20150225155054.png  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20150225155111.png  

Last edited by aditya101 : 25th February 2015 at 19:21. Reason: Added phone info
Old 25th February 2015, 19:22   #20783
BHPian

could someone tell me how we can import a custom google maps route from maps.google.com to the google maps android app?
Old 25th February 2015, 19:25   #20784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharth_j View Post
could someone tell me how we can import a custom google maps route from maps.google.com to the google maps android app?
Copy the url of the maps page and send to gmail. Open this link on gmail with Google maps app. Done.
Old 25th February 2015, 19:27   #20785
Senior - BHPian

Just for my 64 GB MI4 from flipkart.

Initial impressions are very positive. Loving the size and the display.

I chose it over the OPO simply due to the size.

Curiously the phone came from flipkart with 0 percent battery! It would not turn on without a charge...
Old 25th February 2015, 20:12   #20786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Copy the url of the maps page and send to gmail. Open this link on gmail with Google maps app. Done.
yes, i tried this, but it doesnt go to the navigate mode. just shows the map and the route list. thats all.
Old 25th February 2015, 20:16   #20787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Just for my 64 GB MI4 from flipkart.

Initial impressions are very positive. Loving the size and the display.

I chose it over the OPO simply due to the size.

Curiously the phone came from flipkart with 0 percent battery! It would not turn on without a charge...
I had my Mi4 16GB replaced within a week with a new one due to heating issues. After upgrading to 6.3.9 on the first Mi4, was experiencing battery drain. So for the replacement, i have not yet updated.
Old 25th February 2015, 20:18   #20788
BHPian

Quote:
yes, i tried this, but it doesnt go to the navigate mode. just shows the map and the route list. thats all.
ah..got it to work. my bad, i think due to the slowness of my 3g connection, i never saw the 'start navigation' option show up
Old 25th February 2015, 20:18   #20789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Try clicking on any of the routes? I just tried that and it works?
Old 26th February 2015, 11:21   #20790
Senior - BHPian

Got the teaser from htc about a new launch on the 1st. I expect it to be the M10 (or maybe M9). So only three days to go! My son with a cracked screen on his M7 is waiting for it.

Most Viewed