Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2014, 02:05   #19636
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Should the Redmi 1S be so avoided for its heating and hanging (doesn't the latest updates take care of this) issues? Or for any other strong reasons?

I would have gone for Asus but for the battery backup, Moto E for the high SAR values and Honor Holly for not-so-great display.

BTW, that is the SAR value for the Redmi 1S?
I have bought a Redmi 1s phone for my wife and she is being using it for last 2 weeks. The new patch takes care of the over heating problems.
In the last 2 weeks of usage I havent come across any issues, though battery is average.
Just keep in mind, Redmi 1s does not uses stock android but uses MI UI, for some of the corporate email application it is considered as rooted phone and you cannot install any corporate emails.
Old 6th November 2014, 08:43   #19637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Guys I have ordered the Xiaomi Redmi 1s on yesterday's flash sale on FK.
Mine's on the way, hopefully should land in another day. Though this would be my first android experience apart playing around with other's phones. Is a screen-guard really necessary; the Xiaomi one was anyway out of stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaymishra View Post
In the last 2 weeks of usage I havent come across any issues, though battery is average.
Thanks. Hope the battery lasts one full day on normal usage.

Can we under-clock this phone without rooting?
Old 6th November 2014, 10:22   #19638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mine's on the way, hopefully should land in another day. Though this would be my first android experience apart playing around with other's phones. Is a screen-guard really necessary; the Xiaomi one was anyway out of stock?

Thanks. Hope the battery lasts one full day on normal usage.

Can we under-clock this phone without rooting?
screenguard is necessary, the screen is not gorilla glass. it is scratch prone and the xiomi screenguard is pathetic. Better to order a flip cover instead.

Phone is pre-rooted. Go ahead and under clock using no frills cpu.
Old 6th November 2014, 10:44   #19639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
screenguard is necessary, the screen is not gorilla glass. it is scratch prone and the xiomi screenguard is pathetic. Better to order a flip cover instead.

Phone is pre-rooted. Go ahead and under clock using no frills cpu.
Oh my! I just ordered the Xiaomi screen guard from ebay before your response :| I heard good review about it. Don't know why, but I hate flip cover. Hope I can put the guard after a week's use, since it will reach late?

Thanks for the tips though. I guess under-clocking could save a lot of heating. Will it save any battery? I am not a heavy gamer.

Last edited by thoma : 6th November 2014 at 10:46.
Old 6th November 2014, 12:03   #19640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh my! I just ordered the Xiaomi screen guard from ebay before your response :| I heard good review about it. Don't know why, but I hate flip cover. Hope I can put the guard after a week's use, since it will reach late?

Thanks for the tips though. I guess under-clocking could save a lot of heating. Will it save any battery? I am not a heavy gamer.
Yes. It will save battery for sure. Stock snapdragon 400 is clocked at 1.4 GHz. Redmi 1s has over clocked it to 1.6 GHz.
My Redmi 1S just lies in my office bag and I use it make calls occasionally and receive messages.
Nexus 5 is my daily driver.
Old 6th November 2014, 13:16   #19641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
My Redmi 1S just lies in my office bag and I use it make calls occasionally and receive messages.
How long does a full charge last for such usage?
Old 6th November 2014, 13:18   #19642
BHPian

I intend to use my Mi3 as a WiFi hotspot to access internet on my laptop. Will be using Vodafone 3G data. Purpose is accessing web-pages and uploading files of 1-2 MB in size.

I will be using it in Mumbai itself, so no problem of weak network. Can anyone please tell me if its possible and if yes, what speeds can I expect to get on the laptop?

P.S. I need to use it like this only for a couple of hours not more. It is not for regular use. It is just a one off situation where I won't be having any wired internet connection or WiFi which I can connect to and only feasible option is to use my mobile data.

-Bhargav
Old 6th November 2014, 13:46   #19643
BHPian

@Octane_Power, go to Settings and then More. I would Advice you to use the tethering & portable hotspot option. (the phone will also get charged whilst doing so.
The speed will be based on you plan with Vodafone.
Old 6th November 2014, 13:51   #19644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
I intend to use my Mi3 as a WiFi hotspot to access internet on my laptop. Will be using Vodafone 3G data. Purpose is accessing web-pages and uploading files of 1-2 MB in size.

I will be using it in Mumbai itself, so no problem of weak network. Can anyone please tell me if its possible and if yes, what speeds can I expect to get on the laptop?

P.S. I need to use it like this only for a couple of hours not more. It is not for regular use. It is just a one off situation where I won't be having any wired internet connection or WiFi which I can connect to and only feasible option is to use my mobile data.

-Bhargav
Dear Bhargav

I am using the Vodafone 3G for the same. It not only powers my laptop but also my other smartphone on Airtel.

You need to create a wi-fi hot spot.

I have taken a 5GB unlimited data plan from Vodafone for Rs. 899. Speed is 2 MBPS and post exhaustion of 5GB, speed is lowered to a paltry 64 KBPS .

Overall happy though it offers god speed only in my office area and not at home in Thane. It suffers from poor connectivity and invariably get only 2G speeds!!
Old 6th November 2014, 14:20   #19645
Senior - BHPian

If anyone wants a Redmi, check this post. Moved the post here from another thread and it's in the previous page in chronological order and may not be spotted. Hence posting the link to the post here.
Old 6th November 2014, 14:24   #19646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
If anyone wants a Redmi, check this post. Moved the post here from another thread and it's in the previous page in chronological order and may not be spotted. Hence posting the link to the post here.
I also have an unused MI3 lying with me if anyone's interested.
Old 6th November 2014, 14:26   #19647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet.S View Post
I also have an unused MI3 lying with me if anyone's interested.
Packaging still intact?

Please elaborate on the unused part. I know someone who is in desperate need of the Mi3.
Old 6th November 2014, 14:27   #19648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Packaging still intact?

Please elaborate on the unused part. I have someone who is in desperate need of the Mi3.
Taking this further on PM.
Old 6th November 2014, 16:13   #19649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
@Octane_Power, go to Settings and then More. I would Advice you to use the tethering & portable hotspot option. (the phone will also get charged whilst doing so.
The speed will be based on you plan with Vodafone.
Sir, enabling 3G data on my phone and switching on portable WiFi hotspot, that's it right? And then connect the laptop to it as I'd do it for any WiFi. Or anything more I need to do? Thank You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post

Overall happy though it offers god speed only in my office area and not at home in Thane. It suffers from poor connectivity and invariably get only 2G speeds!!
I hope I get 3G speed connectivity in Vile Parle (West). I will be going for the minimum plan, I don't remember what it is, but it is of 7 days or something. Need it only for a few hours so that will be the best bet for me. Thanks

-Bhargav
Old 6th November 2014, 16:33   #19650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Sir, enabling 3G data on my phone and switching on portable WiFi hotspot, that's it right? And then connect the laptop to it as I'd do it for any WiFi. Or anything more I need to do? Thank You.
Yes thats about it. Make sure you set up your Wifi Hotspot giving it an easily recognisable name and a password first before enabling.

I have used my RedMi to download ~13GB a night using WiFi hotspot, both on MIUI and CM11 ROMs. Till date no problems.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks