Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2013, 15:45   #15496
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Guys,

Planning to pick up a Android phone in the budget of 15 K plus minus 1 K.
Looked at the following options

1. Xperia L
2. LG optimus L7 II
3. HTC Desire SV - over budget but somehow like'd the phone
Comparison # 1

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=5275

Comparison # 2

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=5100

Overall, Xperia L seems to be most sensible to me. Another suggestion is to take your FIL to a mobile store and demo all phones. Sometimes, when you actually take a device in your hands, you know whether you can see yourself using it or not. Do not buy based on online reviews or hear-say opinions.
Old 21st June 2013, 19:12   #15497
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Guys,

Planning to pick up a Android phone in the budget of 15 K plus minus 1 K.
Looked at the following options

1. Xperia L
2. LG optimus L7 II
3. HTC Desire SV - over budget but somehow like'd the phone

No Samsung as most of their lower end android phones have known to give issues i.e. Grand, Qautro, S advance, S duos etc.
I do like S2 and S2 plus but they are way over budget.
As this phone is for my FIL, no budget brands like MMX, XOLO, are acceptable.

Kindly advice which off the 3 I should opt for and if, I have missed any good model.

And yes, usage will be calls, whatsapp, bit of Wi-fi, bit of 2g and a decent camera. Most importantly good battery back-up. L7 has a 2460 mah battery, sounds juicy but, not sure if it really has the juice in reality Dual sim is nt impt.

Cheers
for Your FIL, get him to play with a WP8 device as well. Great lag free experience, mostly what seniors look in a phone. Most of the Androids in this price tend to show quite a bit of lag.
Old 21st June 2013, 23:53   #15498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
The TV out from Note 2 is in fact great. I am not a regular user of it but once in a while. Especially for gaming purposes Get an MHL adaptor for Note 2 and you're good to go. If you have the budget, have a look at the "Smart Dock" for Note 2. It transforms the phablet to an android desktop
what kind of games do you play? I find it hard to focus on the TV and touchscreen at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Buy any cheap MHLcable from eBay and use for TV out Alternatively if your TV has Dlna you can transmit using dlna (WiFi) as well.
Is the DLNA quality any good? I have heard from a friend who attended trade show that it just didn't work very well - too much interference from all the otehr people using 2.4GHz band
Old 22nd June 2013, 09:07   #15499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post

Is the DLNA quality any good? I have heard from a friend who attended trade show that it just didn't work very well - too much interference from all the otehr people using 2.4GHz band
It will be as good as your home WiFi setup. In case signal strength is less or you have to many interfering devices you will get less bandwidth. So choose another pair of channels in wifi router setup
Old 22nd June 2013, 19:25   #15500
Senior - BHPian

Can someone point me towards a 400-500 types flip diary cover for Nexus 4?

I can't order from international websites as shipping alone would double/triple the cost. Nothing much on flipkart and I couldn't make sense of anything on ebay w.r.t. quality/durability of the covers available.
Old 22nd June 2013, 20:22   #15501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post

I can't order from international websites as shipping alone would double/triple the cost. Nothing much on flipkart and I couldn't make sense of anything on ebay w.r.t. quality/durability of the covers available.
Why do you want to go for a flip cover? No offense, but I find flip covers highly irritating in daily use. Just get a good quality TPU case, will serve the purpose perfectly.
Old 22nd June 2013, 21:43   #15502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post

Check out Amazon for the user reviews. You'll get a good idea. I personally use the Rearth Ringke Fusion case and it's excellent. I guess Nilkin makes good covers. Check out bhavtav.com for getting it locally.
Old 23rd June 2013, 01:48   #15503
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Atrix 2, its a different story altogether for me. Atrix 2 still holds the award for the mobile phone which I used for the shortest time, i.e. 4 months to be precise No other problems, but it used to last only 8-10 hrs on 3G. I am not a heavy user at all. Normally, the mobile phone life cycle we follow in our family is like this. When I upgrade, my phone goes to wife, her goes to one of the parents. When I changed from Atrix 2 to Note 2, I did the same and my wife literally cursed me for the battery life she got on Atrix 2 and altogether it spent 6 months in the family.
I am still on it. With my usage, when ever I linked multiple accounts, the phone slowed down drastically. (office mail, Google, FB, Linkedin) It used to struggle and the lag was horrible. Then I removed Linkedin and FB, and it was much-much faster. (I can see the difference easily as all the accounts, run beautifully synced up on an S3 ). But I still like Moto quality of build. Then coming to battery life, I have been trying many apps for battery life increase. But finally came back to tasker and programmed to toggle 3G/Wifi at periodic intervals. Its working fine and with 3G I get about 20-24 hours easily. So far the happy with it. Tasker also eliminates requirement of running multiple apps like llama, goPower/Juicedefender etc. Lets see how long it goes.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd June 2013 at 01:49.
Old 23rd June 2013, 02:16   #15504
Senior - BHPian

Lazy Saturday evening. Bad weather outside. Sitting inside the apartment, noticed three different breeds of phones on my desk - iPhone 4S, HTC One X & HTC Windows Phone 8X.

Decided to test SIRI against Google Voice search, thought I'd give Windows phone a little breathing time for now.

This was real fun!

1) Come on. Don't ask me to define iPhone.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-_dsc1724.jpg

2) Wanted to know how much daylight is left, thanks Google! iPhone was hell-bent on Satish, she didn't have time to check sunset time.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-_dsc1725.jpg

3) Thoughts about hometown.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-_dsc1729.jpg

4) "I have very few wants."
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-_dsc1730.jpg

5) This one was really funny. SIRI wanted me to take Mahatma to a Studio nearby?
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-_dsc1732.jpg

6) She kept thinking forever...
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-_dsc1734.jpg

7) Voice recognition woes..
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-_dsc1736.jpg

8) Playing it safe.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-_dsc1738.jpg

9) Fail! (asked about my location)
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-_dsc1741.jpg

10) Go home SIRI, you're drunk. (I asked "15 kilometers in miles?")
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-_dsc1745.jpg

11) ..and may be high on drugs too.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-_dsc1746.jpg

12) She don't even know her creator! But she can search it in web.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-_dsc1748.jpg

13) ...not even by his name!
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-_dsc1750.jpg

As you can see, the iPhone battery was dead by then... so couldn't continue.

Last edited by clevermax : 23rd June 2013 at 02:35.
Old 23rd June 2013, 04:43   #15505
Senior - BHPian

Hilarious but I have found Siri to be quite decent. A few workplace chaps (Malays with the resultant accent) use it and it obeys most things quite fine. i dont have an iphone but this is really badly done by Siri
Old 23rd June 2013, 10:59   #15506
Senior - BHPian

@Clevermax: That is a very interesting funny comparison

Guys, my wife has a sony ericsson xperia pro mk16i. It has 512MB RAM usable of around 390MB or so. At any time there is just 70-80MB available.

Cache cleared. most apps which i can stop i have disabled. but it just lags so much. takes 10-15seconds just to open whatsapp or open dialer to make a call.

Please help :(
Old 23rd June 2013, 11:07   #15507
BHPian

Funny conversations there Clevermax!
This is what I do when I'm bored. I have an S4 and must say the improved S Voice feature on this is pretty decent. Nowhere as fast as Google Now, but gets most of the jobs done without a fuss. But good timepass
My friends using the iPhone 5 have complained that Siri doesn't recognize our accent effectively.
Old 23rd June 2013, 11:45   #15508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

Guys, my wife has a sony ericsson xperia pro mk16i. It has 512MB RAM usable of around 390MB or so. At any time there is just 70-80MB available.

Cache cleared. most apps which i can stop i have disabled. but it just lags so much. takes 10-15seconds just to open whatsapp or open dialer to make a call.

Please help :(
Please root the phone, then managing memory is easier. You could also check xda forum for your phone model`s solutions

Last edited by headers : 23rd June 2013 at 11:46.
Old 23rd June 2013, 23:31   #15509
BHPian

Got myself a XOLO Q1000, awesome phone at the given price! Way better than my sister's Galaxy Grand

Last edited by breezydrive : 23rd June 2013 at 23:32.
Old 24th June 2013, 06:02   #15510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Got myself a XOLO Q1000, awesome phone at the given price! Way better than my sister's Galaxy Grand
You sir, are the man. Please advise regarding the screen, responsiveness, call quality (esp on the move) - is the chipset MTK6589 or MTK6589M? The latter is rather under-specced but is now standard on Q800 :(

My sister needs to buy one after her Sony xperia mini screen conked off and a new LCD costs like 7k without any warranty while in 10-12k she gets a new Xolo

She is considering the GG/ GG Quattro, but would help if u can give your impressions of both phones

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks