Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2018, 13:54   #736
Team-BHP Support

Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Since you have used the Kindle app on your smart phone and are currently using the Kindle, could you advise me whether I should go in for a Kindle too.

I have the Kindle app on my smart phone and iPad so was wondering if I should go in for a Kindle too. I have a good number of books purchased for Kindle on Amazon which I read on my phone or iPad now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
If you have already purchased books, Kindle is a no-brainer for you. It's a beautiful product. With Kindle you will eliminate all strain on your eyes which you have while reading on phone and iPad (you may have even realized the strain). It's absolutely glare free and great for reading at night in a dark room (the Paperwhite version).

I am on my third Kindle now (not that they're broken) and am loving it.
I have used the MoonReader android app in the past for reading on smartphone / tablet which is also a good option since it has some additional options than the Kindle app. I parted ways with a tablet, and the smartphone reading was getting a little stressful while reading continuously. Also, the usual smartphone problems like continuous app notifications or calls or heating up were taking the fun away from reading. The Kindle is just like a book in most ways which is why I like it - read no disturbance zone.

If you are comfortable reading on your iPad, I think you will feel that the Kindle screen is small (I do). If you are extensively reading on your iPad, the transition would be slightly tough, but you will soon get adjusted to it.

As kalpeshc mentioned, if you have already purchased many books from Amazon, it is a good option to go for a Kindle. More so if you plan to dedicate some more time to reading than the usual.

Hope this helps. Happy reading.
Old 23rd March 2018, 15:04   #737
BHPian

Quote:
I have the Kindle app on my smart phone and iPad so was wondering if I should go in for a Kindle too. I have a good number of books purchased for Kindle on Amazon which I read on my phone or iPad now.
No brainer Ithaca - Please go for kindle or (ANY dedicated e-reader for that matter). WAY superior reading experience as compared to a tab/phone.

Quote:
If you have already purchased books, Kindle is a no-brainer for you. It's a beautiful product. With Kindle you will eliminate all strain on your eyes which you have while reading on phone and iPad (you may have even realized the strain). It's absolutely glare free and great for reading at night in a dark room (the Paperwhite version).
Absolutely! I used to spend a lot of time reading on tablets - reading for 3-4 hours - used to positively give slight headache/eye ache

After switching to kindle (around 2015), reading is much more pleasurable. Even really long stretches don't cause that much strain.

one suggestion (as recommended by my ophthalmologist). Pickup the normal kindle - not the paperwhite - Reason is: Not only the price of the normal kindle is way below that of the paperwhite, You should NOT be reading anyways in the dark! Read in well ventilated and bright rooms - goes a long way in maintaining your eyes healthy. I have seen too many people switching off all lights and reading on the paperwhite /tablets or such devices - not a good idea - as it is definitely not good for the eyes in the long run.

Speaking personally, when I used to use my tablets/phones - I used to read in the trains (night trains) and even in the night when all lights were off. After switching to my kindle - it made things more simple - If I can't see, obviously I can't read, and I will switch on the lights or stop reading. Have found that my eye strain is also lot less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post

If you are comfortable reading on your iPad, I think you will feel that the Kindle screen is small (I do). If you are extensively reading on your iPad, the transition would be slightly tough, but you will soon get adjusted to it.
Believe me, you will get adjusted real quick. Rather than the size, I used to miss the swipe and easy navigation. In kindle it is kinda more difficult, but you will get used to it very quickly. I have almost completely stopped reading books in tablets/phones.

Quote:
As kalpeshc mentioned, if you have already purchased many books from Amazon, it is a good option to go for a Kindle. More so if you plan to dedicate some more time to reading than the usual.
You don't need to buy so many books from amazon! Any books in MOBI format almost renders pretty well in kindle. You get tons and tons of books in MOBI format which is free for download if you search enough.

I have got almost all my favorite authors books in mobi/epub formats and converting these formats is a simple task as there are many free tools also available.

Only major disadvantage of kindle - reading technical books with lots of diagrams is not a good option as zoom-in/zoom-out is a real pain. Otherwise, reading any other book should be a breeze in kindle.

Last edited by haria : 23rd March 2018 at 15:11.
Old 23rd March 2018, 16:14   #738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since you have used the Kindle app on your smart phone and are currently using the Kindle, could you advise me whether I should go in for a Kindle too.
My two cents, having done both.

The Kindle device has a far better reading experience than any of the apps. There is no comparison really.

In my household the Kindle is the kids', and my Nexus 9 tablet is used by both me and my wife to read. I also read on the Kindle web reader (read.amazon.com).

The tablet app is good if you are reading on multiple platforms or formats. I do bargain hunting on Kindle and Play Books; plus I get/buy ebooks from many third-party publishers (Packt, Smashwords, Project Gutenberg etc.) which I read mostly on Play Books. Then there are the PDF e-Books, custom formats (DC Books) and so on. All these are readable on the Android device.

In summary: if Kindle is the only place where you are going to read e-Books, buy the device; if you want to use multiple platforms you might want to consider a tablet. Reading on the phone is suboptimal.
Old 23rd March 2018, 20:26   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
one suggestion (as recommended by my ophthalmologist). Pickup the normal kindle - not the paperwhite - Reason is: Not only the price of the normal kindle is way below that of the paperwhite, You should NOT be reading anyways in the dark! Read in well ventilated and bright rooms....If I can't see, obviously I can't read, and I will switch on the lights or stop reading.
I too bought the Normal kindle, for the same reasons. .
Old 23rd March 2018, 20:32   #740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
one suggestion (as recommended by my ophthalmologist). Pickup the normal kindle - not the paperwhite - Reason is: Not only the price of the normal kindle is way below that of the paperwhite, You should NOT be reading anyways in the dark
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
I too bought the Normal kindle, for the same reasons. .
Well, I got the Paperwhite mainly to read at nights. The issue here being that there is no time on hand to read as much during day time. Also reading paperbacks at night was disturbing to wife and kid with the light on. Hence went for the paperwhite and have been doing a bulk of the reading at night. Touch wood, so far have not had any issues.
Old 23rd March 2018, 20:42   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Also reading paperbacks at night was disturbing to wife and kid with the light on. Hence went for the paperwhite and have been doing a bulk of the reading at night. Touch wood, so far have not had any issues.
Can you look at using a table lamp or a focused plug lamp which doesn't throw the light around ? That should not disturb your wife/kid much.

When one is young, eyes will be more resilient - as you grow older is when things become dicey. You need to be more and more careful. According to my ophthalmologist - do regular eye examination once in a year, after the age of 35-40 and if one is spending lot of time looking at the computer (In the current era, most of the jobs will mean staring at the computer monitor for more than 5-6 hrs a day). Do regular eye exercises that should help. But still suggest you NOT to read in the dark. Move to a different room/place and read, if possible. Just my 2 cents.
Old 23rd March 2018, 21:58   #742
BHPian

Quote:
If you have already purchased books, Kindle is a no-brainer for you. It's a beautiful product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
The Kindle is just like a book in most ways which is why I like it
Quote:
No brainer Ithaca - Please go for kindle or (ANY dedicated e-reader for that matter). WAY superior reading experience as compared to a tab/phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
My two cents, having done both. The Kindle device has a far better reading experience than any of the apps. There is no comparison really.
@kalpeshc, @Omkar, @haria & @binand

Thank you for going through my query and giving me very good reasons to go in for the kindle.
Thank you for laying out the debate in favor of the Kindle in an elaborate form. Makes it easy for me to now plan to buy the Kindle.

I will take @haria's ophthalmologist's recommendation and go in for the normal Kindle.

Now my research and hunt for my Kindle begins.
Old 24th March 2018, 02:55   #743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will take @haria's ophthalmologist's recommendation and go in for the normal Kindle.
One quick point, the Kindle Paperwhite's display illumination mechanism is exactly as though reading a book with a bedside lamp. It is totally different from normal phone/tablets who shine a light into your eyes. If you are a heavy reader and can afford it, the paperwhite is the near-unanimous recommendation of reviewers.
Old 24th March 2018, 09:22   #744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
One quick point, the Kindle Paperwhite's display illumination mechanism is exactly as though reading a book with a bedside lamp. It is totally different from normal phone/tablets who shine a light into your eyes. If you are a heavy reader and can afford it, the paperwhite is the near-unanimous recommendation of reviewers.
Absolutely agree with this. The screen brightness can be adjusted. I keep it around 11 for night time reading and it doesn't cause any strain. Have been using this since the launch of Paperwhite. Amazon claims to have done a lot of research before launching Paperwhite exactly for this reason.
Old 24th March 2018, 10:57   #745
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Now my research and hunt for my Kindle begins.
Two points:

1- Buy the paperwhite for the reasons mentioned in the previous posts.

2- Every two months or so, a discount of 2-2.5k for Paperwhite and 1-1.5k for the regular kindle comes up on Amazaon. If you want you can wait for that.
Old 24th March 2018, 12:57   #746
BHPian

Folks, I am also planning to buy the Kindle paperwhite version. I can see that the price is around 11K and I could see there was a 2K off in the month of January. Any chance of price reduction coming in future? I could see some sale coming up on Amazon but not sure if there will be an offer on Kindle. I have waited long enough and can wait another couple of months.
Old 24th March 2018, 18:20   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Two points:

2- Every two months or so, a discount of 2-2.5k for Paperwhite and 1-1.5k for the regular kindle comes up on Amazaon. If you want you can wait for that.
OT: one dumb question: how does one know there is a discount in amazon ? any alerts/mail notifciations can be configured ? or one has to daily check the amazon for offers ? Just curious about this.
Old 25th March 2018, 10:55   #748
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OT: one dumb question: how does one know there is a discount in amazon ? any alerts/mail notifciations can be configured ? or one has to daily check the amazon for offers ? Just curious about this.
Very valid question. There are tons of sites/browser extensions which can help you keep an eye on prices and alert you in case of a drop.

You can check out https://www.compareraja.in
Old 25th March 2018, 13:16   #749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Folks, I am also planning to buy the Kindle paperwhite version. I can see that the price is around 11K and I could see there was a 2K off in the month of January. Any chance of price reduction coming in future? I could see some sale coming up on Amazon but not sure if there will be an offer on Kindle. I have waited long enough and can wait another couple of months.
Keep your eye on eBay as well. I bought mine off eBay - costed me some 8.1k in Dec 2015 after incorporating some coupons!
Old 25th March 2018, 16:27   #750
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
There are frequent temporary price reductions, usually around sale and festive times. You should be able to catch one of these in the next couple months. Wait it out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks