Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2008, 13:55   #631
BHPian

thanks Guys, that was helpful.
Old 21st November 2008, 21:58   #632
Senior - BHPian

After a week long reading reviews, comparing brands, analysing prices, checking features etc. I have finally decided on Panasonic HT itself (that will match my 42" Pana Plasma PV8).

Its a newly launched model Panasonic SCPT 565 (not available at many pana outlets), picture attached below. I hope to make use of the Viera link of the pana gadgets. Other than just reading about this model, I havent got a chance to take a demo on this, because its not available anywhere for a demo. Considering the quality pana products maintain, I just blindly decided on it. In India, HT from Pana is a very lower preference, could be due to its lack of publicity/ads. The tower speakers ( 252 X 1123 X 235 mm ) will make a big difference in the look itself as its not a thin tower like other brands. Placed the order with Devi International for 24k (same place I got my plasma for 50k) and expecting a delivery by Saturday (22nd) evening. cheers:
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-565.jpg  

Last edited by shajufx : 21st November 2008 at 22:05.
Old 22nd November 2008, 00:10   #633
BHPian

I have Panasonic SCPT 950 - 1200W / 5-CD changer and wireless rear speakers.
It is pretty good.
I bought this in US during last Thanksgiving.
Panasonic is always value for money.
Old 22nd November 2008, 00:22   #634
BHPian

Guys if you are looking for a compact home theatre DVD HT system, pls try the Philips HTS 4750. After experimenting with many I bought this 2 yrs back. My initial thought was to have this in my living for 2 yrs and then move it to my bedroom and buy a full blown HT for my living. Trust me I dropped my plans for full-blown HT system bcos this has actually got all I need.

The active woofer is really neat and tight (not many Home HTs have active woofers), and the twin 100 RMS centre speakers bring amazing clarity . The DVD system looks very sleek and has a USB for pics etc.

I bought it for 26K, may be the pricess have dropped now, try it before you buy anything:

Philips - Home theatre - Sound and vision
Old 22nd November 2008, 08:45   #635
BHPian

Chennai Guys,

Please checkout the new e-zone showroom on the OMR. They have demo rooms set up for Sony, Onkyo, Jama and few other brands . I was there last week and trust me the set-up was awesome.
Old 22nd November 2008, 09:19   #636
Senior - BHPian

^manu where abouts is it exactly ? any landmarks closeby ?
Old 22nd November 2008, 12:16   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
^manu where abouts is it exactly ? any landmarks closeby ?

Its on the OMR on the right side when you are traveling from Tidel towards Lifeline hospital just before the Lifeline hospital signal.
Old 22nd November 2008, 22:23   #638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Its a newly launched model Panasonic SCPT 565 . Placed the order with Devi International for 24k (same place I got my plasma for 50k) and expecting a delivery by Saturday (22nd) evening.
Sadly the order remains cancelled as of now, just because this is not available even with the brand dealers in the state. Although the devi staff promised a delivery by today, now he claims it can be arranged by next weekend ! I am put into a dilemma now, due to the carpenter, electrician and the painter are already on their schedule from Mon, Tue & Wed for completing my Plasma wall to perfection, considering the tower size and other specifications of SCPT565. Postponing their work to another week is again an issue, as all these guys are booked whole year on major works.

I thought of considering any good brand as towers and a mid range quality AV receiver with 5.1, HDMI and other latest features. Totally confused and not knowing when my prefered SCPT565 can be available as nobody is ready to commit a date of delivery. Gurus, please pour your opinions, I have time till Monday 24th November to decide. Once the carpenter starts his job, it will be very tough to change the configurations, as everything is going to be custom built on my gadgets in the living room !

Last edited by shajufx : 22nd November 2008 at 22:24.
Old 23rd November 2008, 00:19   #639
BHPian

Shajufx

I've posted a reply to your message on the other LCD TV thread, with a recommendation and some pictures of an Onkyo package - 5.1 receiver, front tower speakers, centre and surround speaker set, all for 34k at E-Zone Chennai today. Pls do check and post back !! Wish you all the best in picking up a nice system. Soon I would also be doing the same thing !!

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 23rd November 2008, 11:14   #640
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Venki, I will make sure I get a demo of Onkyo TXSR 304E (ezone price 29990/- here) and the Philips HTS 4750 (MRP 25k) before deciding. I have 24 hours from this post to finalise, which means, I might spend my whole Sunday taking demos at different places, mainly ezone and Profx (mentioned in the Philips India site). But Profx website do not have a mention of Philips as one of the products. Need to call up and check. So as of now, I prefer 4 towers, centre and a sub-woofer with any brand AV receiver, kind of everything in one brand or mix and match. Will update soon.
Old 23rd November 2008, 11:57   #641
BHPian

I'm crazy & obsessed - wireless internet from the kitchen !!!

I am seriously crazy guys !! I am responding to Team BHP messages from the kitchen on wireless internet using my wife's laptop !! And I am making chai for the family simultaneously !! Looks like my home Netgear wireless router is being put to full use now !!

Well Shajufx,

ProFX deals in only KEF (British), Polk Audio (American), Denon (Japanese) and their own ProFX brand of speakers. No Philips at ProFX.

But yes - please do take the demos of Denon 1509 / ProFX Fusion 5 package, Onkyo 304E / 4700 speaker system and the Philips.

The Denon package would be around 38k, Onkyo as you said would be 29k and the Philips would be around 24-25k. The Denon and Onkyo are component home theatre systems while the Philips is not. So there would be a big difference in sound quality. Check them out and you would know what I mean.

Have fun and do post back with your demo experience and your decision !!

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 23rd November 2008, 12:07   #642
BHPian

Venkat/Shaju - Even if you guys are on a budget - I would still recommend onkyo and denon over the panasonics, sonys and philips.

Shaju - visit modern electronics on domlur airport road and jamo store in garuda mall and you will be very clear in your choices.

Venkat - multitasking is the way to go
Old 23rd November 2008, 12:14   #643
Senior - BHPian

Thanks venki and Jassi for the tips again ! Even I am crazy when it comes to gadgets right from my 1st standard. I can still recall my childhood (25 years back) when I was glued to a tower speaker during a stage programme done by one of the best groups in South. I get your responses on the spot as its delivered directly to my Blackberry. I dont want to miss a single response on this thread as I just have today, SUNDAY, to get the maximum demos and decide.

So my schedule for the day is almost fixed now. Spoke to the Profx showroom at MG Road, heading there for the Profx and Denon demos (ranging from 50k to 2 lak something), so thats going to be a double stretch of my present budget. I am an impulsive buyer, so I fear I might go for what my mind says on the spot.

Then I have Onkyo in mind, but I doubt if Onkyo has HDMI outputs, as I dont see it on their website details, even in the pictures of the back panel of AV units. So that could be a NO NO to me as I dont want to miss the HDMI feature on the Plasma.

Then we have the Philips HTS 4750, 9810, 3569 waiting, but no idea which one will be available for demos. Anyway I am heading out with an open mind, with no prejudice to any brand nor with any restricted budgets. Lets see what turns up.

Last edited by shajufx : 23rd November 2008 at 12:15.
Old 23rd November 2008, 12:42   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
Venkat/Shaju - Even if you guys are on a budget - I would still recommend onkyo and denon over the panasonics, sonys and philips.

Shaju - visit modern electronics on domlur airport road and jamo store in garuda mall and you will be very clear in your choices.

Venkat - multitasking is the way to go
Hey Jassi thanks man !! By the way, my wife has said that Denon AVR 1509 / ProFX Fusion 5 speaker package at 38k together with the plasma at 56k would be tough to get. She has given me 2 things I can consider:

(1) Get an average sounding HT system like a Sony etc (HTiB) for around 15-20k and get the 42 inch plasma now and get the full blown HT component system later in April or so;

(2) Get the Denon package for 38k now, and quit the plasma idea and go for a normal 29 inch CRT TV for now - In April 09, go straight for the Panasonic 50 inch PV80 !!

The 2nd option is very tempting too, but anything can happen anytime and there is no assurance that we can get the 50 inch unit at that time. Another thing is, if we go for the plasma now, it is easier to swipe my credit card and pick up the Denon package later for 38-40k, rather than spending 107k on the Panny 50PV80.

Confused as of now. Th original plan was go in for 42 inch plasma now, get a 50 inch later and move the 42 inch to our bedroom. But now it appears that if we get the 42 inch plasma now, it would take a minimum of 6 months before we can even think of a 50 inch unit

How money rules our lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Thanks venki and Jassi for the tips again ! Even I am crazy when it comes to gadgets right from my 1st standard. I can still recall my childhood (25 years back) when I was glued to a tower speaker during a stage programme done by one of the best groups in South. I get your responses on the spot as its delivered directly to my Blackberry. I dont want to miss a single response on this thread as I just have today, SUNDAY, to get the maximum demos and decide.

So my schedule for the day is almost fixed now. Spoke to the Profx showroom at MG Road, heading there for the Profx and Denon demos (ranging from 50k to 2 lak something), so thats going to be a double stretch of my present budget. I am an impulsive buyer, so I fear I might go for what my mind says on the spot.

Then I have Onkyo in mind, but I doubt if Onkyo has HDMI outputs, as I dont see it on their website details, even in the pictures of the back panel of AV units. So that could be a NO NO to me as I dont want to miss the HDMI feature on the Plasma.

Then we have the Philips HTS 4750, 9810, 3569 waiting, but no idea which one will be available for demos. Anyway I am heading out with an open mind, with no prejudice to any brand nor with any restricted budgets. Lets see what turns up.
Shajufx

For Denon, please check out the package I have mentioned. If you start choosing separate receivers and speaker packages, your budget would go haywire. The package I mentioned is being offered to me here for 38k - Denon AVR 1509 receiver and ProFX Fusion 5 speaker package which consists of 2 huge tower speakers, big centre speaker and 2 bipolar surrounds. The sound was really good when I had a demo on this system 2 weeks back though it was not a detailed demo.

For HDMI - The Denon AVR 1509 has HDMI switching but no video processing / upscaling. I think it has 2 HDMI inputs and 1 output. You can connect the HDMI output from your DVD or other video device straight to your plasma and the optical audio output from your DVD player to the optical audio input on your AV receiver.

For HDMI video and audio processing in the receiver, you would have to move up 2 models to the AVR 1909 which would cost you around 40k just for the receiver alone.

Do post back with any other queries.

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 23rd November 2008, 13:19   #645
BHPian

Hi V12,

Awesome photography.
Except for 2 things that you did not detail upon.

1. More detailed pictures of the natural rock formation, of the rocks at St Marys island. This is one of the few places in the world where you can find perfect rectangular shaped long rocks. Some of them in fact look like coffins stacked over each other .

2. A few pics of the Killer buses that ply between Udupi and Mangalore. For those who have not gone in these buses, you should sit in the front next to the driver, And you will observe that these bus drives do the same level of cutting as our Bangalore auto drivers do. But the difference is that they do it at speeds of 60kmph.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks