Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2015, 14:31   #2341
BHPian

Re: Want to build a dedicated home theater, suggestions please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Y

Listen to some top quality bookshelf speakers too. Don't let their size fool you.
Thank you Sandeep. I have couple of month before I actually need this system as this for a my house currently under construction.
So I will certainly plan to visit the places you suggested. Will post an update after few more rounds of audition.

For bookshelf, I will have a find a stand to match to my ear hight. Floor-standing gives this benefit and I can move it around at will.
Old 11th June 2015, 14:36   #2342
BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

If you are looking for a proper ATMOS setup, its recommended to go for a Proc-PowerAmp setup as it needs a good decoder and a set of amps and speakers. Otherwise, go for a good 5.1 / 7.1 (depending on the budget) considering the availability of the movies in ATMOS. For speakers, there are a lot of options in bangalore. Choose the speakers > Amps / AVRs in the order. Also reserve a 10-15% for the cables.

Since its a dedicated room, check the feasilbility of acoustic transparent screen with speakers hidden behind the screen, will also give a more synced sound to the screen.

Is your budget including the acoustics?

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 11th June 2015 at 14:38.
Old 11th June 2015, 14:38   #2343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post

Later I had an audition of BOSE Cinemate 130. BOSE sounded much more crispier and had an unbelievable surround sound effect. It is expensive at 1.5L, but still I would say it is a true wonder.

Decided to stick to proper surround sound, preferably ATMOS enabled.
Bose has their own Demo's made which are made to sound much much better, ask them to demo one of your demo's and they will reject.
Old 11th June 2015, 15:00   #2344
BHPian

Quote:
AVR in mind is Yamaha RX-A2040. Anyone here using this receiver? If yes, what speakers you have paired with 2040
Am using a Yamaha RA-A810 since Jan 2012. I purchased an all Yamaha setup for the speakers and sub - all colors in Piano Black. You may want to consider Yamaha too.
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A810
FS - Yamaha NS-F700
Center - Yamaha NS-C700
Sub - Yamaha NS-SW700
Surround - Yamaha NS-B700
Old 11th June 2015, 16:49   #2345
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Onkio is probably value for money, but after hearing a lot about their HDMI issues and pathetic service, I am bit apprehensive.
I use an Onkyo 3010 as part of my living room system and have not have any issues since 2012. At that time I was considering a Yamaha A3010 (because their YPAO is very good) at the time but the Yamaha dealer kept postponing delivery.

The original system is linked here (some upgrades have been made since).
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110639.20

I would recommend that you do a bit more listening before purchasing your system. I was fortunate to be able to make a trip to Singapore (Adelphi Center) when I was in the market.
Old 11th June 2015, 19:26   #2346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
If you are looking for a proper ATMOS setup, its recommended to go for a Proc-PowerAmp setup as it needs a good decoder and a set of amps and speakers.
I did not really get what you meant. Yamaha 2040 is capable of decoding ATMOS content. I can run a 7.1.2 ATMOS setup with this receiver. That is exactly what ProFX had at demo and what I have learned reading a lot materials about this AV receiver. What am I missing?

Quote:
Is your budget including the acoustics?
No, I have to find additional budget for acoustics and a 4K projector.
Old 11th June 2015, 19:29   #2347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
Bose has their own Demo's made which are made to sound much much better, ask them to demo one of your demo's and they will reject.
No they dont. They infact asked me to play some media from my phone for my satisfaction which i did and never declined when i asked them specifically whether i can get any of my own DVDs etc and check. Same experience at 2 of their outlets in Mumbai.
Old 11th June 2015, 19:37   #2348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
I thought so. I had taken BOSE demo from one of their US store in March this year. They had exactly the same content here in Bangalore too.

After hearing the India price, I was not very keen to ask any further clarifications. But the sales guy was smart and knowledgeable. He spent time to explain their technology and why we are paying a premium.

I would say Cinemate 130 is a good addition if you want something for your living room, and of course, if you have the budget.
Old 11th June 2015, 19:45   #2349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I use an Onkyo 3010 as part of my living room system and have not have any issues since 2012. At that time I was considering a Yamaha A3010 (because their YPAO is very good) at the time but the Yamaha dealer kept postponing delivery.

I would recommend that you do a bit more listening before purchasing your system. I was fortunate to be able to make a trip to Singapore (Adelphi Center) when I was in the market.
Asked the Onkyo guy about this. He admitted they had problems in past, but everything rectified now. Somehow I had a mind block after reading a lot about the same issue over a long period.

I had done auditions in Best buys. They don't setup their systems well and interestingly none of them had ATMOS setup. This was in March this year.
I kind of have a sense of what to expect. But like you said, the more I hear, the more I discover.
Old 12th June 2015, 07:58   #2350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For bookshelf, I will have a find a stand to match to my ear hight. Floor-standing gives this benefit and I can move it around at will.
For stands, you have, http://soundfoundations.in/

I have purchased a Hi Fi rack, two sets of speaker stands and a center speaker stand. Every one of them is excellent. Value for money too. They don't have a typical production line manufacturing facility so factor a minimum 2 weeks for your order to be delivered.

The trouble with a floor stander is, with the increased cabinet volume, it is a lot more harder to design and get it right. Good floor standers cost a lot. For the same price, you usually get a much better sounding stand mount or book shelf. I would actually go to the extent of putting in a little more money on a top notch stand mount over a floor stander. The other thing about not being bothered about a floor stander, especially in a home theater setup, is that you (the receiver) end up re directing most of the low frequencies to the sub woofer. That kinda defeats the purpose of buying a floor stander. Those large drivers sitting in a massive cabinet won't be doing anything most of the time. If you must get a floor stander, listen to the Usher N-6361. Needs a amplifier with a lot of power though. I found it better than Kef's monstrosity Q900. Make sure you get a very good center channel. Very important in HT. One that comes to mind is a Kef Q600c.

On the subject of sub woofers, make sure you listen to SVS. The best I have heard.

I would take the Atmos step when there is more content available. Right now, it is very limited.
Old 12th June 2015, 10:09   #2351
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have couple of month before I actually need this system as this for a my house currently under construction.
So I will certainly plan to visit the places you suggested. Will post an update after few more rounds of audition.
The key is to do extensive auditions
Keep your content constant so that you listen to the same stuff in each audition - that way you can make out the differences. If you decide on the AVR first, take that around for audition with each set of speakers on your shortlist.
It does sound like a lot of work but will be well worth it. All the best in finding that ideal combination of AVR+speakers, keep us posted
Old 12th June 2015, 18:02   #2352
BHPian

Quote:
I did not really get what you meant. Yamaha 2040 is capable of decoding ATMOS content. I can run a 7.1.2 ATMOS setup with this receiver. That is exactly what ProFX had at demo and what I have learned reading a lot materials about this AV receiver. What am I missing?
I would suggest you slow down the selection process, find enough time for audition and also you try to understand the difference b/n a normal AVR and a PreAmp-Processor setup, later gives you a good improvement in the performance. For comparison, even a normal AVR can decode HD audio, but there is a day-n-night difference in quality with a good AVR.

For a proper home ATMOS experience, I would suggest a minimum of a 4 speaker setup, I felt a 2 speaker was almost similar to a normal surround setup, the height and the depth / distance was not much perceivable to me compared to the other (Integra and Marantz pre-proc connected to rotel poweramps). Since you have enough budget, try to get the best for that. Moreover consider the number of titles with atmos available for your decision.

Quote:
No, I have to find additional budget for acoustics and a 4K projector.
I would have invested in a good 1080p projector + an anamorphic lens than a 4K projector.

My suggestion would be to understand \ audition as much as possible. You will also get a good idea about what to expect. I always recommend to start with speaker selection and then the amp/avr/pre-proc since the speakers can make and kill a setup, even a high end.

BTW, dont waste your time and money on Bose unless you are looking for a lifestyle product, its done and dusted several times across forums and its a fact, period.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 12th June 2015 at 18:30.
Old 12th June 2015, 20:13   #2353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
For stands, you have, http://soundfoundations.in/
Thanks once again for the pointers and suggestion on book shelf. Let me do a bit of exploration on this now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The key is to do extensive auditions
Keep your content constant so that you listen to the same stuff in each audition - that way you can make out the differences.
Yes, I am trying to do exactly that. Listen to my Panasonic 5.1 first at home before heading out for audition. That is not a match to what I am looking for, but gives me a baseline.

I will not put my money unless I find the perfect match.

Quote:
understand the difference b/n a normal AVR and a PreAmp-Processor setup
Got it. Do you know if ProFx or any of these guys can give me an audition so that I really make out that difference.

Quote:
I would have invested in a good 1080p projector + an anamorphic lens than a 4K projector.
The pace at which video quality improves, 1080p will be outdated in matter of 2 years right?

BTW, I may settle down with a flat panel for now. Projector will come only after I can relax my hands a bit.

My plan to spend on one at a time, but buy the best.
Old 12th June 2015, 20:20   #2354
BHPian

Quote:
My plan to spend on one at a time, but buy the best.

there is no best. Your stuff will be outdated in 6 months to a year. From experience, go with your budget and save for future upgrades. I have a 720p projector from 2008 and is still good enough for me for weekend movie marathons
Old 12th June 2015, 20:42   #2355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
there is no best. Your stuff will be outdated in 6 months to a year. From experience, go with your budget and save for future upgrades. I have a 720p projector from 2008 and is still good enough for me for weekend movie marathons
Kind of agree with you. I have a Panasonic plasma 720p I bought in 2008 and still going strong. In fact a group of T-BHP members bought it together and we got a great deal. 56k was a good bargain vs 64K at Panasonic shop at that time.

Bought my Nikon D90 after a lot of research. Actually an early adopter of D90 because I had fallen for D80 already.

Bought a CEDIA after a lot of research, influenced by T-BHP for sure.

All these were great additions and what I could afford after stretching a bit. Never had to regret because the great minds on T-BHP was at help.

Between 2000-2015, I saved all my money for my house and I was set of having a dedicated home theater room. All married guys know how hard it would be to convince your better half.

Basically what I was saying was, I want to get the best I can within my budget. Otherwise sky is the limit. Until I learn to fly, I stand grounded

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks