Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-94.html)

I dont know if this is relevant here or not, but I am posting a link to download downgrade drivers of sony vaio laptops. One of my friends had to downgrade to XP for which he had paid, but could not locate the drivers.
Here is the link:
Windows XP Downgrade drivers : Useful Information : Sony Asia Pacific

A friend uses a 1330 while I use a 1530. Cons are that the screen is smaller (I prefer at least a 15" screen) and is more expensive than the 1530. Other than that it's a good machine.

I have a 2004 model Compaq Presario 2584AI laptop. The config is:
Intel Pentium P4 2.4 Ghz
512 MB RAM
30 GB HDD

1. I would like to upgrade the HDD to preferably 320 GB or 500 GB, but I am unsure about the compatibility. How can I check what is the maximum amount of hard disk that my laptop can take?

2. Also, what type would be needed? SATA or IDE?

3. I recently bought 512 MBx2 modules of DDR 333 PC 2700 RAM. MY previous installed RAM was 256 MBx2 modules DDR 266 PC 2100. However, the laptop did not boot up upon installing the new RAM, so I had to return to the old RAM. What could have been the issue?

WHich RAM module should I now buy? I checked with the user manual and figured that it can take a maximum of 1 GB RAM in 2 modules.

How is the new Dell 12 ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by nishantgandhi (Post 1133583)
I have a 2004 model Compaq Presario 2584AI laptop. The config is:
Intel Pentium P4 2.4 Ghz
512 MB RAM
30 GB HDD

1. I would like to upgrade the HDD to preferably 320 GB or 500 GB, but I am unsure about the compatibility. How can I check what is the maximum amount of hard disk that my laptop can take?

2. Also, what type would be needed? SATA or IDE?

3. I recently bought 512 MBx2 modules of DDR 333 PC 2700 RAM. MY previous installed RAM was 256 MBx2 modules DDR 266 PC 2100. However, the laptop did not boot up upon installing the new RAM, so I had to return to the old RAM. What could have been the issue?

WHich RAM module should I now buy? I checked with the user manual and figured that it can take a maximum of 1 GB RAM in 2 modules.

1. It can verified with manual. I suppose it should support 160GB at the max with ease.

2. It must be IDE, as sata thingy in notebooks was pretty new at that time.

3. You should try to pick DDR266 RAM modules only if you do not want to do any type of hit and trial thingy.

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashthedivx (Post 1133847)
1. It can verified with manual. I suppose it should support 160GB at the max with ease.

I think the max supported will be 120 GB, due to the 48 bit LBA issue!

And of course, IDE only. SATA socket will not be there in that laptop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anupmathur (Post 1133868)
I think the max supported will be 120 GB, due to the 48 bit LBA issue!

And of course, IDE only. SATA socket will not be there in that laptop.

Yes... it should support 120GB at the Max !!

Bought a new Compaq laptop, Dual Core with all the bells & whistles for 32k.
Got XP installed, lappy is running good.

one of my friends is looking for a new laptop (to be bought in US), however he will be taking to India after that. what is the best brand in terms of after sales support network?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivekiny2k (Post 1136977)
one of my friends is looking for a new laptop (to be bought in US), however he will be taking to India after that. what is the best brand in terms of after sales support network?

Dell rules here
but make sure he has international warranty for support in india.
also make sure that service tag transfers are done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay4587 (Post 1137025)
Dell rules here
but make sure he has international warranty for support in india.
also make sure that service tag transfers are done.

Also he needs to bargain hard for international warranty as its not less than 250 or 300$ in most cases.

Guys, I powered on my laptop today morning, I noticed that the display is blank & not working. Does it have something to do with BIOS.

Btw I can see the green light blinking on the connected ethernet cable but there is no display.

Need your help on this.

cheers:

I am getting an Acer Aspire One for my wifee tomorow. Main usage is wi-fi browsing at home (emails, messengers, voice chat etc.) and MS Office/PDF components for her work. Present offer is 15600 for Linux OS with 1 GB RAM and 160 GB HDD. Should I stick to Linux OS or prefer Win XP Home ? I have an original Win XP Pro installation CD which I had bought for my home desktop 1 year back. Can I install Win XP Pro myself (if you suggest Win XP OS better) using my original CD or ask the showroom to install XP Home duplicate (comes free) ? Experts please advise ! Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry10 (Post 1138116)
Also he needs to bargain hard for international warranty as its not less than 250 or 300$ in most cases.

thanks guys. I did tell him to try and get a lappy from india, but dell India has very limited variety online. And we have no idea what retail stores will offer.

Does anybody know how much will a dell XPS 1330 will cost in India?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivekiny2k (Post 1138390)
thanks guys. I did tell him to try and get a lappy from india, but dell India has very limited variety online. And we have no idea what retail stores will offer.

Does anybody know how much will a dell XPS 1330 will cost in India?

WC mate and XPS M1330 has been stopped by dell. Now Studio XPS 13 comes instead which is around 59000 INR. Configuration is better than 1330 as well.