Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2008, 17:55   #1291
BANNED

Which model is best in Sony Vaio these days ? Need a Laptop around 65k.

Ps: Where to buy Lightscribe Disks for cheap price ? - Hp original light scribe disk is very costly (Rs:400 per disk).
Old 22nd September 2008, 18:10   #1292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
I Have shortlisted following two laptops:-
Vostro 1510
LatitudeE5500
The two main reasons i have shortlisted dell is:-Customisation and Acc cover.
Now E5500, with C2d 7250,4 gb ram,80 GB HDD,8x Dvd rw,3 yrs complete cover,Bluetooth,wifilink5300,Win Xp downgrade,GPU-X4500 is Costing me Rs 70k after discounts of rs 2782(4%vat wavier)

Vosrto 1510 with C2d T8100,4 gb ram ,120 gb HDD,8400GS GPU,8x dvd rw,3 yrs complete cover,bluetooth,Vista home has been quoted at around 58k.
I want to buy a product which will ensure peace of mind and realiability.
I am keen for latitude,but i am not convinced fully as to why i should go for it,what is the difference between two?
Is the price difference between the two models cause of brand premium only or ...?
Suggestions will be apreciated!
Firstly the premium, OS, Weight, Built, Both will be a good by choose what you like most.
Old 22nd September 2008, 18:20   #1293
BHPian

Thanks for input LBM bai ji!I am going for E5500.

Any info about back packs for laptops, I mean to say back pack which can accomodate other stuff then Laptop n accesories.
Old 22nd September 2008, 20:44   #1294
BHPian

Samsonite backpacks(i think they retail at around 2k to 3k) Spacious and comfortable on the back.

And also Gill Bai ji why not Vostro.
I think that will be a good deal. Or better still as I have mentioned before as well, try the lattitude D630 series if you have an option of getting it imported from US.

Looks plane jane but is a killer when it comes to performance and durability.
Old 22nd September 2008, 20:57   #1295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Which model is best in Sony Vaio these days ? Need a Laptop around 65k.

Ps: Where to buy Lightscribe Disks for cheap price ? - Hp original light scribe disk is very costly (Rs:400 per disk).
My personal experience from Vaio: It works as a desktop. If you disconnect the power code within 10 mins it will go to standby after showing a message battery critically low. I still dont understands why Sony making such products in the name of Laptops. The display is the best I have even seen in any brands. But then the sole purpose of a laptop is defeated by the poor battery life.
Old 22nd September 2008, 21:19   #1296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
I have been buying them in Delhi at Rs 100/- a piece in a pack of 10 (not spindle).
ie. each in a slim Jewelcase. Make: Verbatim.

But yes, the supply is NEVER guaranteed!
Old 22nd September 2008, 23:49   #1297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadinc View Post
Samsonite backpacks(i think they retail at around 2k to 3k) Spacious and comfortable on the back.

And also Gill Bai ji why not Vostro.
I think that will be a good deal. Or better still as I have mentioned before as well, try the lattitude D630 series if you have an option of getting it imported from US.

Looks plane jane but is a killer when it comes to performance and durability.
Thanks for Info mate.
Vostro is a awesome machine,but its build quality is somewhat objectionable.
I can't wait to get the lappy from US.So took the call and have decided for E5500, another thing that went against Vostro was it's Lid(Glossy),hard to take care off.

Cheers!
Old 23rd September 2008, 03:08   #1298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
My personal experience from Vaio: It works as a desktop. If you disconnect the power code within 10 mins it will go to standby after showing a message battery critically low. I still dont understands why Sony making such products in the name of Laptops. The display is the best I have even seen in any brands. But then the sole purpose of a laptop is defeated by the poor battery life.
All batteries have a life and it is usually in the number of discharge-recharge cycles. I have a HP that i have used for 15 hrs a day that lasted 2 years. The last 6 months of it it had pathetic battery life. But then my laptop was getting charged and discharged to near zero for around 2 times everyday. I have also seen other laptop batteries failing around 2 to 3 years timeframe.
Old 23rd September 2008, 11:22   #1299
Senior - BHPian

HP - compaq- Model - CQ50-106 AU, quoted finally @ 31 K inclusive of Vat. with the following config.

HP Imprint Gloss Finish/ AMD Athlon64 X2 Dual Core Processor QL-60 (1.9 GHz)/ 1 GB DDR2 (667 MHz) / 160 GB SATA/ 8X SuperMulti Drive Double Layer (8.5 GB) DVD Writer/ NVIDIA MCP77MV chipset/ 15.4" WXGA TFT with BrightView Screen Technology / NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 8200M / Up to 128 MB shared vedio memory / Altec Lansing Stereo Speakers / 5-in-1 Digital Media Reader / 56K Modem / Integrated Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g / LiIon Battery / TouchPad/ HDMI v1.3 with HDCP Key/ 3 USB 2.0 / FreeDos/Microphone/ Integrated Web camers.

A couple of questions:

1. How's AMD compared to Intel, it's quoted at 31k since AMD is less pricey, with Intel DCore its about 36 K!!!!

2. Is it better to take 1 year or 3 year warranty for Home Use, its for my son in 12th std. He's needs to play games once in a while and also use it for the next 2/3 years when he'd go for engineering.

3. This config. has MS DOS, OS, I'll have to buy a XP home edition or instal a pirated edition, any advise on this?

4. Economy, functionality and reliability are the objectives here.

Thanks for your inputs.

--Ramky

=============

Last edited by ramkya1 : 23rd September 2008 at 11:29.
Old 23rd September 2008, 13:46   #1300
BHPian

^^ A 2 GB RAM will be much better than 1 GB. RAM is more important (and less expensive) than processor speed.
Old 23rd September 2008, 14:18   #1301
BHPian

@ Ramky : AMD was the one who came with 64 bit technology for the masses but then it slept on its success and Intel moved on with newer(and better) technologies.

Still AMD is not bad either, infact it is a good VFM option where you can have more features for the same or lower price.
Try getting minimum 2 GB ram for starters if not more.

As you are saying it is for your son's use when he goes to engineering college try to get 3 years warranty (remember in most cases the warranty covers all except batteries, damage due to water spillage etc)
Old 23rd September 2008, 15:09   #1302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
^^ A 2 GB RAM will be much better than 1 GB. RAM is more important (and less expensive) than processor speed.
Proxima : Thanks, will up the ante to 2 GB for the same price.

Motorheadinc: Thanks again, will go for 2 GB RAM& 3 yr warranty.

Any other inputs, others?

--Ramky
Old 1st October 2008, 16:03   #1303

I own a Inspiron 1525,which is 10-15days old. It shuts down automatically within some time and it's sudden. The time interval from start to shut down is irregular.
I have already got my RAM, Motherboard and Heatsink with the fan replaced. However, the problem persists.
Tried to reinstall and format the Operating System (Windows Vista), but all in vain. The laptop shuts down even when it works outside the premises of Windows.
Any idea what could be the reason? Meanwhile i have asked Dell to replace the whole machine ASAP.
Old 1st October 2008, 16:30   #1304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadinc View Post
Rs 5000 for just an upgrade from 6 cell to 8 cell battery Thats daylight robbery.
Last month, I bought a DELL Vostro 1200. It came with a 6 cell battery which was jutting out, which was not so pleasing to look. So, I wanted to buy a 4 cell battery and also fix an Internal bluetooth module as I forgot to add it in the initial order form. Dell came back to me saying that 4 cell battery would cost INR 8500 and is not available.

More ever they added that, Internal bluetooth which costs INR 1250 cannot be fixed as my laptop does not support the feature. CRAP! I was pretty sure that internal bluetooth can be fixed in my lappy as I read it in the users manual. I scanned the picture and notes on it.

I looked up who is the CEO for DELL India. It was Mr. Sameer Garde. I copied him in the email stating that DELL India does not want to sell me the 4 cell battery and does not want to sell me the bluetooth...

Guess what?

The same day I got a reply from Sameer stating that, he has approved a Free Battery and a Free Bluetooth Module and will be delivered ASAP. A DELL Engineer came over to my place the very next day to FIX the Internal Bluetooth module. 15 days down the line, I got a battery FedEX'ed to me.

Cheers,
Jai
Old 1st October 2008, 16:37   #1305
BHPian

congrats dude:

OT: Did you send the 6 cell battery back.
In case no what do you intend to do with it...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks