Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2008, 14:48   #1186

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis View Post
I have entered the product key but would try again anyways. What about the OS that you are using with your system..
at first i was using XPP SP2, now i'm using Vista Business..
both work perfectly fine!
Old 17th July 2008, 15:02   #1187
BHPian

Quote:
Guys need help. I have loaded XPP OS in my R-60 lenovo thinkpad and this is where the jerks begin....No applications running. Downloded all the drivers but still nothing is working. No vidoe no sound no wireless network. I had Vista Business installed when bought the system and the current verson is pirated
Hi Metropolis,

There are two ways in which we install windows. One is run the DVD on the existing OS and then continue with the installation. In this case, only the OS gets upgraded but data remains intact. I am not sure if this would be your case, as you are downgrading from Vista to XPP.

The other way is to reformat the complete HDD and do a fresh install. In this case, all data would also be lost. This could be the best option to try in your current situation. It should work fine. Else there could be some problem with the OS as it is a pirated version.

But just curious to know, why is it that you want to downgrade to XPP ? Any particular apps not compatible with Vista ? I have upgraded my desktop and my office laptop to Vista and all my important apps are working just fine. I am not really missing XPP.
Old 17th July 2008, 15:35   #1188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys need help. I have loaded XPP OS in my R-60 lenovo thinkpad and this is where the jerks begin....No applications running. Downloded all the drivers but still nothing is working. No vidoe no sound no wireless network. I had Vista Business installed when bought the system and the current verson is pirated
Did you get a set of XP compatible drivers before doing the re-install?? I also installed XPP on my XPS but before that a geek friend helped find XP compatible drivers (especially the SATA drivers for the HDD) and I got everything working with them.
Old 17th July 2008, 23:15   #1189
Senior - BHPian

i do believe you have the R60 drivers for XP available on their, lenovo, site. I had downloaded them sometime back when I was installing XP after removing Win2003.
Old 18th July 2008, 09:53   #1190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilr87 View Post
at first i was using XPP SP2, now i'm using Vista Business..
both work perfectly fine!
OMG Vista thrives for every mile
Old 18th July 2008, 09:58   #1191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshooli View Post
Hi Metropolis,

There are two ways in which we install windows. One is run the DVD on the existing OS and then continue with the installation. In this case, only the OS gets upgraded but data remains intact. I am not sure if this would be your case, as you are downgrading from Vista to XPP.

The other way is to reformat the complete HDD and do a fresh install. In this case, all data would also be lost. This could be the best option to try in your current situation. It should work fine. Else there could be some problem with the OS as it is a pirated version.

But just curious to know, why is it that you want to downgrade to XPP ? Any particular apps not compatible with Vista ? I have upgraded my desktop and my office laptop to Vista and all my important apps are working just fine. I am not really missing XPP.
I had installed through the second option still to my horror it has acted in this mannner

It sounds surprising but i had bought specially due to Vista since i started using it i found the system to be extremely slow other wise my preference still goes for vista only

Btw what about if i now go in for a new orignal one I'm really tired of this crap stuff.....How much would it cost me ??
Old 18th July 2008, 10:01   #1192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Did you get a set of XP compatible drivers before doing the re-install?? I also installed XPP on my XPS but before that a geek friend helped find XP compatible drivers (especially the SATA drivers for the HDD) and I got everything working with them.
Nope I just got a CD and suppose this would have given a jerk

btw what to do now
Old 18th July 2008, 10:10   #1193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
i do believe you have the R60 drivers for XP available on their, lenovo, site. I had downloaded them sometime back when I was installing XP after removing Win2003.
Gosh....Tell me the link please i have possibly done every effort to find the drivers and after that i tried installing but the system fails to detect and cannot locate
Old 18th July 2008, 19:09   #1194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had installed through the second option still to my horror it has acted in this mannner

It sounds surprising but i had bought specially due to Vista since i started using it i found the system to be extremely slow other wise my preference still goes for vista only

Btw what about if i now go in for a new orignal one I'm really tired of this crap stuff.....How much would it cost me ??
From what I understand, you want to go for a new windows XP rite?
But, if you already have an original copy of Vista, you have the option to downgrade to XP for free. I had a linky on how to do this. Will try to find it.

- Jag
Old 18th July 2008, 19:15   #1195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Damn!! I didn't know that! Tanveer where is the store in Sector 18?
PS: Dell has no exclusive stores
all these dealers just purchase portables in Bulk online and then retail them.

I have been using Dell XPS M 1530 since December 2007
Intel Core 2 Duo T 5450
2 GB RAM
160GB HDD
Nvidia 8600M GT 256MB Card
9 cell Battery
3 years Complete Cover.

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th July 2008 at 19:47. Reason: posts merged
Old 18th July 2008, 23:01   #1196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
From what I understand, you want to go for a new windows XP rite?
But, if you already have an original copy of Vista, you have the option to downgrade to XP for free. I had a linky on how to do this. Will try to find it.

- Jag
Please let me know the link dude Also recently came to know that XP would be discontinued and Vista would follow the trend..... Is it true ?

Also what would be the price of Vista and XP
Old 19th July 2008, 06:58   #1197
BHPian

Quote:
Also what would be the price of Vista and XP
Check out with some of the retailers in town. Some of them might still be having the OEM version of XPP which should cost you not more than 6k. Computer Warehouse in Bangalore still lists XPP on their website. You can check with them (Computer Warehouse Online - Buy Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Accessories, Laptops and Electronics). You can also get the prices of Vista on this site.

Also, did you check with the Lenovo guys if they have any special program for downgrade to XPP ?
Old 19th July 2008, 08:59   #1198
BHPian

Vista to XP pro downgrade is legally possible only if you received Vista Business/ Ultimate editions along with your new PC (OEM). It doesnt hold good for other versions.

Check this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...onal-free.html
Old 20th July 2008, 06:39   #1199
Senior - BHPian

I don't think downgrading is a good option if you plan to stick with a Microsoft OS - you better get used to Vista because all new Os'es are going to be based on this. Personally, I have been using Vista Ultimate for a while, and find it good enough provided you have a good processor (atleast 2.4 Ghz if on a Pentium 4, and a 1.2 if on a mobile version) and atleast 1 ~2 GB of RAM.
Old 21st July 2008, 12:49   #1200
BHPian

I would speak to Lenovo on this but someone told me that loading a pirated verson would tamper with the warranty of the system. Anyhow Vista with 512 ram would be a disaster.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks