Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2008, 17:46   #1156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
I was advised to bargain [on a notebook forum] when ordering a Dell. I did and got 2.5K off.

I also read in a notebook forum. But by then, it was too late!

Am spreading the word now. Seems like most (well, all) of the people to whom I said this were ignorant of this fact!
Old 10th July 2008, 23:54   #1157
BANNED

USB tv tuner card with FM

Guys
From where can I get usb FM tv tuner card? I am setting up my car pc and there is no space for reciever in dash.Can anyone give the address or phone number of dealers dealing it?
Cheers
Dilip
Old 11th July 2008, 00:12   #1158
BANNED

[quote=motorheadinc;898983]
Please qoute the particular model in dell you were configuring. The base model will always have the slowest of the lot processor but you can surely configure it to a higher model[quote]

Its simple, on the website they have inspiron 1525 c2d -processor T5750 (2.0 Ghz.). While local dealer is offering- inspiron 1525 c2d- processor T5850 (2.1 Ghz).
I asked the executive at dell as to why they are not offering T5850 on website, he replied that it may have been discontinued. When I asked the same ques. from the dealer, he said that it is the latest one & DELL gives diff. models to dealers from the online ones. Im confused! , as T 5850 is at the same price & is better. But why is DELL not offering this on website?
Old 11th July 2008, 21:15   #1159
Senior - BHPian

Got my laptop delivered today at my home afternoon at 3.30PM! :-)

Had a tough time telling the courier (Blue Dart) delivery guy thanks, when he called to confirm delivery, since he did not understand English, Hindi or any other south indian language! But finally he got the point.

Looks good. Only gripe is that every time the laptop starts, the DVD drive makes a loud noise - seems like it is checking if a bootable media is present. Need to modify the BIOS.

Will go with the Vista Home premium for some days. Let me see if it is going to be a bottle neck if I try to run any of my work applications. If not, all is good, else, its Vista Ultimate!

Got a neat carry case (which I believe is a default freebie, since it was not mentioned anywhere in the quotation or invoice).
Old 12th July 2008, 11:22   #1160
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> Had a tough time telling the courier (Blue Dart) delivery guy thanks, when > he called to confirm delivery,

Did you not get any call from their Service section? The routine is they will call you and fix an appointment. Their service engineer will come and do some preliminary installation and stuff and check whether you have received what you ordered and that you are satisfied with the product.

They are supposed to open the packet.

> Got a neat carry case (which I believe is a default freebie, since it was not > mentioned anywhere in the quotation or invoice).

I do agree. Their carrying case is neat and functional.

I have an Inspiron 1525.

All the best for your new laptop.
Old 12th July 2008, 14:44   #1161
Senior - BHPian

Trrk,

When I had called, few days back, to check about the status of my order, I was told by a rep that he would call me with the tracking number as soon as the laptop has been shipped. That never happened.

Yesterday when I called to check on the status, I was told that it has already been shipped and I should be recieving it by end of day! Since it was a good turn of event, I was glad!

The only call that I got was from the courier guy just wanting to confirm to me that he has delivered the pack. The next call was from Dell confirming if I have got the pack. The dell guy did say that he will call again to check if I am happy with the product on Monday. There was no mention on any service agent giving me a visit.

Anyway, so far, touch wood, have not got any bad surprises.

Updated and patched in the morning (435MB worth!).
Old 12th July 2008, 18:04   #1162
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> The next call was from Dell confirming if I have got the pack. The dell guy did > say that he will call again to check if I am happy with the product on
> Monday. There was no mention on any service agent giving me a visit.

Have they changed the routine already? Here a service guy came from Kottayam (a nearby town 50kms away, a Wipro guy) who unpacked and did the initial setting up and took the satisfaction report.

Same had happened in an installation at Chennai.

> Updated and patched in the morning (435MB worth!).

That is an endless process as it does some update most of the days for the past three months.

The machine is good. I am just getting to grips with Vista.
Old 12th July 2008, 18:26   #1163
BHPian

The Dell service engineer will turn up for setting up things, at no extra charge. But however, it is not mandatory. When I got my laptop, they asked me if a technician is required, I said that I dont need a technician for setup and no one turned up. I guess it will be more useful for novice users especially for desktops.
Old 12th July 2008, 18:42   #1164
Senior - BHPian

There was never a mention about the service engineer in any of my conversation with the support team of Dell. I guess they might have gone into some cost cutting and made is a 'on demand' service.

Had my first glitch today afternoon, just after my previous post here - updated the intel wireless driver. Went for a restart. It just did not restart! After 20 minutes of powering down and up and then got into the start up option (thru F2) and selected the option to discard the saved state and re-start. That did the trick.

Now trying to setup a BlueTooth network, to share the internet connection, at home.

And those with Nokia, should try out the Nokia Suite 7. A big leap from 6.x!
Old 13th July 2008, 12:30   #1165
BHPian

Friends,
plz suggest me a laptop with a good Graphic Cards for moderate gamming.I was thinking of buying Vostro1510 with GPU 8400GS but on forums like notebook review,it's written that it's a not an exceptional card,it's a low end card and it might not have a future.
Then dell provides 8600GT n GS in XPS which can be an option,but then i need black laptop not a silver.SO that option is gone.
Can any one recommend a laptop with moderate GPU.I can fetch laptop from US too,But then laptop must have international warranty.
PLz suggest budget is around 1200$-1500$.
Old 13th July 2008, 15:02   #1166
BHPian

I have something just right for you.

Some neat discount coupons.

dealdump.com | one page, all best deals on the internet

Just log on to the dell US site. Configure a laptop and use one of the coupons given in the above site to get a full blown souped up laptop and throw in a 3 yr international warranty too.

Do tell us what you got and how much you ended up saving.

Cheers
Old 13th July 2008, 20:53   #1167
BHPian

Online Coupons | Cash Back is another superb deal / discount / coupon sight.
Old 13th July 2008, 22:06   #1168
BHPian

Thanks for info on Coupons n discounts,but all this come into fray once the product is selected.any suggestions for laptops
Old 14th July 2008, 09:32   #1169
BHPian

Damn... I wanted to order an extra battery for my Dell XPS m1330 - It would take 3 months (6 cell or 9 cell) is what the Dell rep said!
Old 14th July 2008, 12:40   #1170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
Damn... I wanted to order an extra battery for my Dell XPS m1330 - It would take 3 months (6 cell or 9 cell) is what the Dell rep said!
Wait a little more Gopz, their battery prices are going to come down further along with their lead times.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks