Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-77.html)

Called the Dell support and guess what - the unit is out of manufacturing and waiting customs clearance. So latest delivery date - 14th July! :-)

And if I am lucky, might just get it by Saturday (12th). Fingers crossed...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhp1 (Post 896696)
Thanks, I know of that BPO. & couple of guys there, Ill get hold of them. But i feel its an illogical exercise, the product will get registered on that persons name.

I knew of toyota recalls , but this is good practice , rectifying mistakes free of cost on your own.

Alright if its going to be dell, ill buy from a local dealer, as in case of any delay or something, ill have someone whose neck I can squeeze .
What about toshiba?

Involve Middlemen only if they are able to fetch you some discounts.
Else don't go for it.
Toshiba is as good as a dell if not better or worse(that too marginally).
Get one only if you are able to find local service in jalandhar itself.
I would suggest you to go for a Dell through an EPP and get yourself a 3 year warranty for the discount you are able to fetch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopz (Post 896835)
If you get it through EPP, you will get an amazing config at an amazing price. No other brand even comes close!

The product will get registered in the employee's name, but it can be changed to your name after 3 months. Thats not an issue.

Gopz has already summed it up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashthedivx (Post 896998)
It's time to get my trustworthy DELL 600m to be changed after a 4yr or so service period.

Though i trust DELL anyday over any brand, still i would like to get an opinion for Toshiba Laptops (Will be able to fetch a hefty discount through some friends at Toshiba :D)

Any idea of running toshiba models with tentative prices ?? Which series is good - Satellite, Portege, Qosmio, Tecra, Satellite Pro??

My usage is majorly for office applications and internet. Usual music and gaming is often done. Screen size should not be less then 14". No heavy ones please.

Cheers

Get the best one in Toshiba + 3 years warranty for the money you can spend. If you can get heavy discounts go for the Qosmio as it is top of the Range.

Getting the best available config helps you as you can keep the laptop for a longer duration and dont need to invest the money all over again.

Late realisation perhaps - but a good product is only one part of the story. Good SERVICE needs to form the larger part of the story.

Most companies forget the 'experience' angle now a days. More than the actual sales/service it is the "experience" that lingers. No point in providing feature after feature if the entire experience of getting them adds to the customers frustration.

I dont know how may of you have had to contact their tech support lately - especially XPS tech support. My opinion stems from my own experience - and it has been pathetic! If they don't reply to mails sent to their tech support id in over two months - I am at a clear loss of words!

It was funny watching the Dell Technician himself taking more than 50 minutes listening to a recorded 'someone will be with you shortly" message before getting thru to anyone on their toll free numbers. (on three separate but consecutive occasions!). This kind of lag is just not acceptable in ANY industry that I know of! In fact a lot of effort and expense is spent in continuously monitoring and reducing this time taken. As it stands now, they will actually create goodwill by removing this facility all together!

Very clearly this has become a top heavy organisation - where the entire focus in on business acquisition - the back end has been left a looong loooong way behind!

It doesn't take very long for 'Swear By' to become 'Swear At':)

If this continues - they are doomed!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopz (Post 896835)

The product will get registered in the employee's name, but it can be changed to your name after 3 months. Thats not an issue.

Thanks, there are many discrepancies with dell. I received a call from dell exec. , he quoted some prices, but soon on my little insistence , starting offering discounts. I asked about dealers in JAL. , he replied there are none. Later i called up customer care , they gave me 3 addresses. This shows exec. was a lier.
Also T5850 PROCESSOR is available with dealers, but on site only t5750 is mentioned. T5850 is a superior processor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorheadinc (Post 897030)
Get one only if you are able to find local service in jalandhar itself..

Thanks, toshiba has local service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kb100 (Post 897064)
Late realisation perhaps - but a good product is only one part of the story. Good SERVICE needs to form the larger part of the story.

Most companies forget the 'experience' angle now a days. More than the actual sales/service it is the "experience" that lingers. No point in providing feature after feature if the entire experience of getting them adds to the customers frustration.

Very clearly this has become a top heavy organisation - where the entire focus in on business acquisition - the back end has been left a looong loooong way behind!

If this continues - they are doomed!

SO, very right. Thanks for the insight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kb100 (Post 896539)
:Shockked: You got it for THAT ??

Yeah, I paid Rs. 580/- for two XPS 1530's! How's that for a killer deal?? :p

Just my 2 bit and I know its only one persons experience but Dell has been good with my problem.

Fri 4pm mail to Dell regarding DVD drive issue.
Reply from Dell 10am Sat.
Replacement arrived 10am Mon.

Very impressive indeed with no questions asked replacement drive and superfast delivery of the part.

Have been reading a lot now that one can negotiate with Dell and get better discounts than ones being offered. has anyone do it over here?

If so, lets share them. Let the next person at least get some good discount!

Quote:

Originally Posted by iraghava (Post 897837)
Yeah, I paid Rs. 580/- for two XPS 1530's! How's that for a killer deal?? :p

You must be Michael Dell's brother lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyWheels (Post 897883)
Have been reading a lot now that one can negotiate with Dell and get better discounts than ones being offered. has anyone do it over here?

Yes you can bargain. The sales guy on the phone has a revenue target. Which means his targets are 'profits', which means he has the leverage to offer you rates which are cheap - so long as he is confident of making it up elsewhere. Its entirely his call.

And before anyone asks me - My brother worked for 4 years in the UK Sales divn of Dell. So this info is first hand!:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyWheels (Post 897883)

I was advised to bargain [on a notebook forum] when ordering a Dell. I did and got 2.5K off.

Guys, any personal reviews on ASUS EEE PC ?

Regarding Dell and Acer, ELCOT, a Tamilnadu governments organization sells Dell and Acer notebooks to students, schools, and govt offices at an attractive discounted price. Only students studying in Tamil nadu (even if they hails from other state but studying in any college in tamil nadu) are eligible and they have to produce a letter from head of the institution along with DD for prescribed amount and laptop will be delivered within a month through courier.

More info, visit Elcot - don’t forget to see their firewall test on youtube. Though the test is a standard one the way they picturised is funny.last date is 15th july but they will extend as they are going to procure around one lakh notebooks.surely better priced when compared to the market price but one month ago when they announced the price they sad it would be Rs 21,000 but now it is priced at 31k.

@ bhp1.

Came across this on another forum.
Hope it helps.
Lynx-Chandigarh Largest Electronic & Computer Superstore
Its located in chandigarh.

@ motorhead,Many thanks, there are many discrepancies with dell. I received a call from dell exec. , he quoted some prices, but soon on my little insistence , starting offering discounts. I asked about dealers in JAL. , he replied there are none. Later i called up customer care , they gave me 3 addresses. This shows exec. was a lier.
Also c2d with T5850 PROCESSOR is available with dealers, but on site only t5750 is mentioned. T5850 is a superior processor. Why is it so, shouldnt the same config. computers be available online & with dealers?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhp1 (Post 898944)
@ motorhead,Many thanks, there are many discrepancies with dell. I received a call from dell exec. , he quoted some prices, but soon on my little insistence , starting offering discounts. I asked about dealers in JAL. , he replied there are none. Later i called up customer care , they gave me 3 addresses. This shows exec. was a lier.
Also c2d with T5850 PROCESSOR is available with dealers, but on site only t5750 is mentioned. T5850 is a superior processor. Why is it so, shouldnt the same config. computers be available online & with dealers?

the answer to your question is here.
Regarding the part about the executive being a liar well what can I say Which executive would like his customer to go away to a dealer.
They have targets to achieve and on top of that commision on each piece sold.
Thirdly regarding the processor: Please qoute the particular model in dell you were configuring. The base model will always have the slowest of the lot processor but you can surely configure it to a higher model

Quote:

Originally Posted by kb100 (Post 898043)
Yes you can bargain. The sales guy on the phone has a revenue target. Which means his targets are 'profits', which means he has the leverage to offer you rates which are cheap - so long as he is confident of making it up elsewhere. Its entirely his call.

And before anyone asks me - My brother worked for 4 years in the UK Sales divn of Dell. So this info is first hand!

Cheers.
And before you ask I wanna clear that I don't work for dell neither does my brotherstupid:. In fact I dont even have a brotherlol: