Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-76.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyWheels (Post 896330)
The order date was 3rd, got the order confirmation mail on 5th and the initial delivery date was 10th. Maybe they were too optimistic with the delivery date.

Anyway, I am going to give them a call and ask. But, given the dates, do you think I should insist or this date is more realistic?

Well they do quote 10-12 days delivery so maybe they were a bit too optimistic. But no harm in giving them a call, ask them to deliver by the 15th, see how they respond.

I got my XPS m1330 on the 4th or 5th day after payment (by Credit Card)

I am so far very happy with their service, but I know cases where they have been pathetic as well (KB100 to continue....if you read this post :))

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorheadinc (Post 896369)
A Dell is anyday better. Maybe a bit more expensive.
But trust me its way too better to have something which is sturdier.

Thanks motorheadinc, ok ill go in for dell. But should i buy from a dealer in my town or online from dell? Who will offer better discounts?
Another thing , I have always bought comp. from local dealer & now whenever i need a new programme or software install, he obliges for free. This will not happen if i buy from dell online. Also after warranty period is over, dell charges >1000/-rs. per visit for exec., apart from parts prices. Isnt this too much? As local dealer charges only 100-250 / visit.
Also ive read in thread that dell is not delivering on time & delaying way too much, this is a turn off.

@bhp1:

Try to get hold of a Dell employee and buy it through EPP. You will get considerable discounts and also can purchase 3yr onsite warranty for Rs.7000 which is reasonable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iraghava (Post 896394)
...But no harm in giving them a call, ask them to deliver by the 15th, see how they respond.

Will do that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopz (Post 896445)
I got my XPS m1330 on the 4th or 5th day after payment (by Credit Card)...

My card was charged within 2 hrs of me placing the order, that is on the afternoon of the 3rd. But guess I am not a lucky one as you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopz (Post 896498)
...Try to get hold of a Dell employee and buy it through EPP...

As I said before, the sales exec whom I talked to said that the EPP program has been suspended. Do check.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopz (Post 896498)
@bhp1:

Try to get hold of a Dell employee and buy it through EPP. You will get considerable discounts and also can purchase 3yr onsite warranty for Rs.7000 which is reasonable.

Thanks , whats EPP? Discounts in what range?
7000/- for warranty is steep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhp1 (Post 896527)
Thanks , whats EPP? Discounts in what range?
7000/- for warranty is steep.

EPP = Employee Purchase Plan - Dell offers around 15-30% discount to employees (sometimes more than that also)

Rs.7000/- is for 3 year complete cover under EPP which normally costs 13k. It is not steep, considering that it covers 3 yrs onsite and also accidental damage (eg. if you drop your laptop and LCD gets cracked...they will replace it for you)

Quote:

Originally Posted by iraghava (Post 896319)
We will not accept any delays of any kind. 12 calendar days from date of execution (which needs to be communicated to us once you receive the cheque for Rs. 580/-) of order is all we're willing to give you. Regards

Ishan

:Shockked:

You got it for THAT ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopz (Post 896445)
I am so far very happy with their service, but I know cases where they have been pathetic as well (KB100 to continue....if you read this post )

Dont get me started....

I will NEVER buy Dell again!

I have the 3 year on site warranty for all the good it does to me - it takes me nothing less than ONE HOUR to get thru to anyone on their help line. And for XPS - manufactured in Chennai- the support is based out of Malaysia!! Not ONE of my mails have ever received a response - including one asking for a quote!! The lesser said about their products the better! Don't know about hte rest but the XPS line is FLIMSY as hell with pathetic panel gaps, bleeding paint finishes, et all - coming from the Insurance line I'd call them UNINSURABLE!! (the Fan, Heat sink assembly, OLED screen and Optical drive has already been replaced , and my shell has already been replaced TWICE and is yet not okay - and all this from a machine brand new out of the box!). Wonder if the 'accidental warranty' is any saving grace now - anything happens - they'll replace - IF & WHEN you get thru to them that is!

When companies go down its not without a reason. Give me a friendly neighbourhood dealer/distributor any day!

NEVER AGAIN!:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyWheels (Post 896311)
Just now got a mail from Dell support. Delivery pushed to "on or before" 21st! AAAAAaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Note for first thing tomorrow - call up these guys and ask them the reason for the delay. But, would it make any difference?

My notebooks delivery note also had been pushed..... But I got it much much before the pushed date.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopz (Post 896538)
EPP = Employee Purchase Plan - Dell offers around 15-30% discount to employees (sometimes more than that also)

Rs.7000/- is for 3 year complete cover under EPP which normally costs 13k. It is not steep, considering that it covers 3 yrs onsite and also accidental damage (eg. if you drop your laptop and LCD gets cracked...they will replace it for you)

Thanks, but where do i get hold of EPP, I live in jalandhar not bangalore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kb100 (Post 896539)
:Shockked:

You got it for THAT ??

Dont get me started....

I will NEVER buy Dell again!

I have the 3 year on site warranty for all the good it does to me - it takes me nothing less than ONE HOUR to get thru to anyone on their help line. And for XPS - manufactured in Chennai- the support is based out of Malaysia!! Not ONE of my mails have ever received a response - including one asking for a quote!! The lesser said about their products the better! Don't know about hte rest but the XPS line is FLIMSY as hell with pathetic panel gaps (my shell, amongst other things, has already been replaced TWICE - and this is for a machine brand new out of the box!)- coming from the Insurance line I'd call them UNINSURABLE!! Which is the only saving grace now - anything happens - they'll replace - IF & WHEN you get thru to them that is!

When companies go down its not without a reason. Give me a friendly neighbourhood dealer/distributor any day!

NEVER AGAIN!:Frustrati

WOW, what an eye opener! & I was thinking on going in for DELL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevermax (Post 896542)
My notebooks delivery note also had been pushed..... But I got it much much before the pushed date.

Since the mail said 'on or before 21st', I hope the 'before' part takes place!

KB100,

That a bad experience you had! Ouch!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhp1 (Post 896558)
Thanks, but where do i get hold of EPP, I live in jalandhar not bangalore.

I am aware that there is a dell Bpo or something of that sort in chandigarh. Try to get Some contacts there

Quote:

WOW, what an eye opener! & I was thinking on going in for DELL.
To tell You the truth all companies do blunders once in a while.
To cite an example put "Toyota Recalls" in google and see the results.
You would be shocked to know that this is what happens to even the World's No. 1 car maker.
Does that make it any day less reliable?
I am posting an example here Toyota-recalls-630-000-minivans-in-Japan

Coming back to the point.
I understand Your concerns as I too have faced similar situations.
Firstly I have used practically all the laptop brands available in India (owned, company, friends) found that it is just about taking proper care of the machine.

I owned one of the very peculiar machines You will ever find , An Acer with Turion 64 bit processor and ATI radeon graphics.

Though I was strongly advised against it I went by my instinct and bought it. It served me well though it lies unused these days at my home. I got a 3 year warranty on that too . So whatever You buy make sure to spend the extra 5-7 K on the warranty and trust me You will never go wrong.

If I were you I would go by my own instincts.
Even today I stand by my words.
For me Dell it still is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorheadinc (Post 896659)
I am aware that there is a dell Bpo or something of that sort in chandigarh. Try to get Some contacts there

To cite an example put "Toyota Recalls" in google and see the results.

Coming back to the point.
I understand Your concerns as I too have faced similar situations.
Firstly I have used practically all the laptop brands available in India (owned, company, friends) found that it is just about taking proper care of the machine.

. So whatever You buy make sure to spend the extra 5-7 K on the warranty and trust me You will never go wrong.

If I were you I would go by my own instincts.
Even today I stand by my words.
For me Dell it still is.

Thanks, I know of that BPO. & couple of guys there, Ill get hold of them. But i feel its an illogical exercise, the product will get registered on that persons name.

I knew of toyota recalls , but this is good practice , rectifying mistakes free of cost on your own.

Alright if its going to be dell, ill buy from a local dealer, as in case of any delay or something, ill have someone whose neck I can squeeze .
What about toshiba?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhp1 (Post 896696)
Thanks, I know of that BPO. & couple of guys there, Ill get hold of them. But i feel its an illogical exercise, the product will get registered on that persons name.

If you get it through EPP, you will get an amazing config at an amazing price. No other brand even comes close!

The product will get registered in the employee's name, but it can be changed to your name after 3 months. Thats not an issue.

It's time to get my trustworthy DELL 600m to be changed after a 4yr or so service period.

Though i trust DELL anyday over any brand, still i would like to get an opinion for Toshiba Laptops (Will be able to fetch a hefty discount through some friends at Toshiba :D)

Any idea of running toshiba models with tentative prices ?? Which series is good - Satellite, Portege, Qosmio, Tecra, Satellite Pro??

My usage is majorly for office applications and internet. Usual music and gaming is often done. Screen size should not be less then 14". No heavy ones please.

Cheers