Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2007, 11:12   #796
Senior - BHPian

Sam - Compaq has been running some nice deals on their laptops recently but they are bare basic. You could try them out.
Old 27th September 2007, 11:46   #797
BHPian

The ACER showroom in Manipal Centre is also giving some good deals with under 30 k pricing .
Old 27th September 2007, 12:26   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I need to buy 6 new laptops next week (for office use).
If anyone has any better suggestions, I would be very thankful. Or I will just buy more Lenovo.

I called Dell computers, but they take too long to deliver, I need to buy these in a few days.
Hey Sam,

Hi!

If you decide on the laptop's configuration on Dell online immediately then deliver takes max 7-10 days from the time you log in your orders. servicing etc from Dell,needless to say is very good. Lenovo's good too.

cheers
Ash
Old 29th September 2007, 16:51   #799
BHPian

Hi

Need some input on good brands in India (service and warranty).
My sister-in-law is looking for a laptop. International brands preferred. Budget Rs40K to Rs45K (maybe able to squeeze another Rs5K max). The HP range offers some good specs for the money.
What other brands should we be looking at that offers good specs and service and backup?
Old 29th September 2007, 17:35   #800
BHPian

Acer laptops

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
The ACER showroom in Manipal Centre is also giving some good deals with under 30 k pricing .
Hi madmax,
Any idea what configuration are these lap tops which are priced under 30 k and what programs or applications it wouls suit.Any website link?I had wanted to pick up a laptop for home use and may be to use google earth to teach my kids. I then thought of a home computer as I was deterred by prices of Rs 40,000 plus for a lap top.
Old 29th September 2007, 20:52   #801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
We already have some (IBM)Lenovo C series and I am pretty happy with them. My budget is below 35K per piece. Applications run will be Microsoft Windows XP, Office, Tally and Outlook.
Recently got a COMPAQ AMD TURON for someone with GB ram and 120 GB hdd and other normal stuff for 32k. working pretty nice even on windows VISTA and running office 2003 outlook, Norton and other stuff...
Old 29th September 2007, 23:35   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Hi

Need some input on good brands in India (service and warranty).
My sister-in-law is looking for a laptop. International brands preferred. Budget Rs40K to Rs45K (maybe able to squeeze another Rs5K max). The HP range offers some good specs for the money.
What other brands should we be looking at that offers good specs and service and backup?
I can both recommend you to buy hp and advice you to stay away from it. Here's why :

We have 3 hp/compaq laptops and one vaio at home. The vaio is fairly new, so is working fine.
My laptop is a compaq b1800. It was the erstwhile most expensive laptop compaq had for sale. My sister's laptop on the other hand was one of the mid level ones.
Anyways, my laptop is now around 18 months old and my sister's is around 26 months old.
BOTH laptops have a problem with the keyboard. Mine developed the problem with stuck keys after 6~7 months of use, where as my sister's worked fine for over 18 months. I gave it to compaq who claimed they cannot repair it as it caused by 'normal' wear and tear. Anyways, that was a bad experience for me. I have since repaired the keyboard myself by opening it up and cleaning it thoroughly and replacing all the contacts which were stuck with new ones.
My laptop also developed a major problem with the lcd screen after around 13 months of use. A mesh appeared on the left half of the screen and horizontal lines were visible. As it was just out of warranty, I went to nehru place to ask about the repair costs. To my shock the screen for this model costs 18k plus 2k labour. I had planned to dump my laptop then.
However, just to try it out, I went to the place I purchased it from. He is known to my father since 10 years. He took the laptop and said he will try to get it repaired at a more reasonable rate. It took him 5 weeks to get it repaired, but compaq replaced the screen with a brand new one ( even replaced the casing of the laptop, all the scratches were gone ! )

The cost : FREE

So, as you can see, I can really vouch for their customer service but I have to say the build quality is PATHETIC
You decide.

I have never used a dell so can't comment but I have heard great things from some people who bought some desktops from them.
Old 1st October 2007, 14:06   #803
Senior - BHPian

Which laptop for sis in US ?

Hi, my sis in US needs to buy a laptop. Have zeroed on to get a DELL only as the university students get good discount on it. Use of laptop is surfing, chatting(VC chats), presentations and some other stuff like microsoft word songs etc etc.

Dell Inspiron 1420 - Notebook

Its 14.1 inches and a webcam can be added as option + DVD writer + its a core 2 duo.

Windows will be VISTA which comes pre installed. So will opt for 2 GB ram and raphics card is not much of a problem coz no gaming is going to be done on this as there is a XBOX for that. Now the only thing i am confused is which processor to go in for Core2duo ?
Old 2nd October 2007, 22:40   #804
BHPian

Dear Furgus,

The ACER laptops are as cheap as 25 K. It does not come with any software but that can be loaded by paying Rs 500 to the dealer. they are genarally AMD or Celaron. The eaxct details can be checked from a dealer/ Acer website.
To run Google Earth what you need is good bradband connection and suffucient RAM in the system.
Old 3rd October 2007, 19:27   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Dell Inspiron 1420 - Notebook

Its 14.1 inches and a webcam can be added as option + DVD writer + its a core 2 duo.
Core 2 duo mate .. Try Dell Vostro 1400 instead of the inspiron series - good solid machine and better value for money , though a bit on the heavier side and loser in terms of looks (IMHO).
  • Core 2 Duo T5470 (1.6Ghz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
  • 14.1” Wide Screen XGA LCD Display with TrueLife
  • 2GB DDR2 667Mhz
  • 128MB Nvidia Geforce 8400GS
  • 120GB 5400RPM SATA
  • Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic
  • Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
  • 8x CD/DVD Burner w/ double layer DVD+ write capability Integrated High Definition Audtio
  • Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Wi-Fi Mini Card
  • Integrated 2.0 mega pixel web camera
  • 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery [/FONT]
  • Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)
[FONT='Times New Roman'][/FONT]
Old 15th October 2007, 16:40   #806
BHPian

Guys planning to get a new laptop. But totally confused as to what brand to go for. Please advise with point of view of a.s.s, prices and warranty. Companies i have in mind are Dell, Sony Vaio, Lenovo, Acer, HP. Want to orientate myself at which company i should go for and then see the configurations.
Old 15th October 2007, 18:55   #807
BHPian

Not sure of others in terms of A.S.S , but surely DELL has next to nothing service back in india , also would be worth trying TOSHIBA satellite series .

my bet would be HP,TOSHIBA, DELL (if not worried about A.S.S )
Old 16th October 2007, 01:22   #808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post
Not sure of others in terms of A.S.S , but surely DELL has next to nothing service back in india , also would be worth trying TOSHIBA satellite series .
Really? And says who? Have you personally experienced Dell India's service? Reason I ask is because I've been using Dell's for the past 4 years & the service has nothing been exemplary. They come anywhere in the country (Yes, ANYWHERE) within the shortest possible time (24 hours for me) with all needed replacement parts (after diagnosis on phone) so that your machine has the minimum downtime & there is no repair involved, only replacement.

And actually, their warranty on Laptops sold in India is valid all over the Asia-Pacific so if you're in one of those countries & have a problem, they'll sort it out for you there too.

Please check your sources before posting such derogatory comments about a brand.
Old 16th October 2007, 10:58   #809
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Really? And says who? Have you personally experienced Dell India's service? Reason I ask is because I've been using Dell's for the past 4 years & the service has nothing been exemplary. They come anywhere in the country (Yes, ANYWHERE) within the shortest possible time (24 hours for me) with all needed replacement parts (after diagnosis on phone) so that your machine has the minimum downtime & there is no repair involved, only replacement.

And actually, their warranty on Laptops sold in India is valid all over the Asia-Pacific so if you're in one of those countries & have a problem, they'll sort it out for you there too.

Please check your sources before posting such derogatory comments about a brand.
What about villages (like which are located at about 30-50 KMS from the main city) ?

I've heard some village folks bad mouthing against Dell about the A.S.S.
Old 16th October 2007, 15:13   #810
BHPian

Will you be using data card for net connectivity/ gprs/ egprs through bluetooth- see that the ones that you buy support your cellphones, data card and other gadgets. I have an IBM R 51( from company I work for) and a personal- Sony Vaio- SZ 110.
R 51 doesnt have bluetooth and Sony is not compatible with Huawei data card that came with Tata Indicom( reliance too ships the same model). When contacted Sony India said they will not be able to support as the model that I have is not supported in India as it is US Spec.
Before this sony piece, I owned - HP NX5000 & Compaq Armada 110. NX5000 was very good . Both were very study and brilliant in their times. Sony is good overall but I guess HP beats it in support. Toshiba /Acer have good A. S . S. ( mods - I mean after sales only). And this Diwali offer is great on laptops.
Dells also have issues with data cards as mentioned above ( you may visits reliance website for issues with EC321 data card) for dell models. Also if you are interested in watching movies on the laptop- then please, hear the sounds- else buy speakers- as sony's inbuilt speakers are an apology to an inbuilt speaker set for laptops.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks