Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-474.html)

Hello everyone!

I am looking for a midrange gaming laptop.
Here are my criteria:
I am also exclusively looking for a new product, not a used one.
I've searched pretty far and wide and come across some good laptops:

(In order of preference)

Please give me your opinions on these, and please suggest some more laptops if there are any you can think of!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTI (Post 5782520)
Hello everyone!

I am looking for a midrange gaming laptop.
Here are my criteria:
  • Minimum 16GB RAM (both DDR4 and DDR5 are fine)
  • Must have a dedicated GPU
  • Maximum price of ₹70,000. Cannot be extended any further.
  • Preferably 6GB VRAM, but 4GB is fine too.
  • Minimum 512GB storage
  • Processor should be an AMD Ryzen 5 6000 Series/ Intel Core i5 11th gen or better
  • Should preferably not have too many horror stories regarding overheating or bad build quality
I am also exclusively looking for a new product, not a used one.
I've searched pretty far and wide and come across some good laptops:

(In order of preference)
  • Lenovo LOQ AI Powered AMD Ryzen 5 7640HS
  • Acer ALG Gaming / Aspire Gaming I5
  • Acer Nitro 5
  • HP Victus
  • ASUS TUF F15
  • Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming Ryzen 7
  • MSi Thin GF63

Please give me your opinions on these, and please suggest some more laptops if there are any you can think of!

Please refer to this post on reddit-

https://www.reddit.com/r/UnboxParadigm/s/Crrlj0w8H7

You may ask the OP if the deal is still valid.

You can use this site to check for the best prices-

https://gaming.unboxparadigm.com/

I'd highly advise you to get a 4050 or the 4060 over a 3060 since DLSS3 and FrameGen shall really extend the lifespan of your laptop. Avoid MSI as there are many horror stories related to the service part. And also avoid 4gb VRAM if you wanna future proof your laptop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raptor_diwan (Post 5782176)
Many applications are not allowed to run on ARM for reasons related to power consumption and resource consumption.

The reason ARM-based laptops can offer more battery life, similar to Macs, is that they simply don't allow apps that consume a lot of power to run on their devices. This naturally results in better battery life. Many major editing software, 99% of games, antivirus software, and other power-intensive applications are not supported.

Source

This may not be true. I have an M1 MacBook Pro 14" and runs x64 apps quite well over rosetta. x64 builds on docker running over rosetta are faster than on docker running on bare metal x64 windows. This is while maintaining stellar battery life.

Packaging IO and memory on the same chip also has power and speed benefits.
Although flip side is apple is greedy and will charge you an arm and a leg to move up from 8Gigs to 16 gigs of RAM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AYP (Post 5782543)
Please refer to this post on reddit-

https://www.reddit.com/r/UnboxParadigm/s/Crrlj0w8H7

You may ask the OP if the deal is still valid.

You can use this site to check for the best prices-

https://gaming.unboxparadigm.com/

I'd highly advise you to get a 4050 or the 4060 over a 3060 since DLSS3 and FrameGen shall really extend the lifespan of your laptop. Avoid MSI as there are many horror stories related to the service part. And also avoid 4gb VRAM if you wanna future proof your laptop.

Thank you for the response!

The thing is , I'm only gonna be using the laptop for the next 5-6 years, hence I don't need a lot of future proofing. I'm also not going to be doing any heavy gaming, only Minecraft, Roblox, Forza and (maybe) BeamNG.

Also, there aren't actually any laptops available with anything better than 3050s in my price range, so I'll settle for 2050s and 3050s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ph03nix (Post 5782588)
This may not be true. I have an M1 MacBook Pro 14" and runs x64 apps quite well over rosetta. x64 builds on docker running over rosetta are faster than on docker running on bare metal x64 windows. This is while maintaining stellar battery life.

I think this is the key. While I admit I don't know the underlying fundamentals to a great degree of detail, one of the other key breakthroughs beyond Apple's M1 chipset architecture design was the success of their Rosetta translation tool (I'm using tool for lack of a better word, and mostly because that's how I think of it). Essentially Rosetta works really well at translating the x64 instructions into ARM type ones and that allows the app experience to not be hamstrung the same way Windows on ARM was initially.

While Qualcomm might've finally made a breakthrough with ARM chipsets for Windows, I guess the key is going to be in how well Microsoft has designed whatever their translation/emulation tool works to enable folks to still be able to use x64 apps without feeling handicapped. Because I don't think it's realistic to expect everyone being able to be onboarded onto ARM type apps on Windows. Windows threw in the towel with their Universal apps didn't they from the Win8 era - I think the sheer breadth of Windows, and the fact you've folks still running Win7 through to Win11 means it's just not practicable for them to force everyone to make the jump to the new architecture the way Apple can with the MacOS userbase.

Ultimately though the good thing is that it's forcing the likes of Qualcomm to make ARM work on Windows, forcing Intel to shake off their stupor and AMD to continue to update their Ryzen chips. All this should ultimately mean better laptops for us, the end user.

I think there's a sense of irony in that the term Ultrabook was coined as a marketing term by Intel for a certain type of Windows laptop but in terms of the key tenets that make a laptop an Ultrabook, I can't help but visualise whatever the latest M-iteration Macbook Air is as anything but the archetypical Ultrabook.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTI (Post 5782783)
Thank you for the response!

The thing is , I'm only gonna be using the laptop for the next 5-6 years, hence I don't need a lot of future proofing. I'm also not going to be doing any heavy gaming, only Minecraft, Roblox, Forza and (maybe) BeamNG.

Also, there aren't actually any laptops available with anything better than 3050s in my price range, so I'll settle for 2050s and 3050s.

Well, it's ultimately your decision though you may wanna check this post-

https://www.reddit.com/r/LaptopDealsIndia/s/l4yfHRWTKb

You can get a Lenovo LOQ with 4060 for 70k(7k credit card cashback).

Quote:

Originally Posted by AYP (Post 5782951)
Well, it's ultimately your decision though you may wanna check this post-

https://www.reddit.com/r/LaptopDealsIndia/s/l4yfHRWTKb

You can get a Lenovo LOQ with 4060 for 70k(7k credit card cashback).

Thank you! I'll definitely be checking this out.

My aunt has a decade+ old Dell Inspiron 3537. It has a completely dead battery and needs adapter power always to function. Runs on Windows 10 Home OS.

Issue is that the laptop switches off(not shutdown) if kept idle for 10-15 mins. I reinstalled OS with a new SATA SSD to see if the issue resolves. But no avail.

One observation is that, if I keep some application open - like file explorer or media player, it stays on for longer. The moment I keep it idle with just desktop screen it switches off in 10-15 mins. I checked the power settings and ensured that it never goes to sleep or switch off the screen.

This issue has really flummoxed me! Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarpadaki (Post 5786521)
Issue is that the laptop switches off(not shutdown) if kept idle for 10-15 mins. I reinstalled OS with a new SATA SSD to see if the issue resolves. But no avail.

That's weird. Have you tried running it with a different power adapter? It rare but could be that the power adaptor, has a problem especially when heated up.

The other possibility is that the power supply board that regulates the power within the laptop has an issue. I vaguely recall a Dell laptop that seemed to show a very vague behavior, sometimes charging and other times was not, and it had a faulty board. It could also be dry-soldered contacts that act up when heated up.

In short this is what I suggest:
1. If possible, try a different power adapter. Just in case the adapter is switching off, you will know.
2. Remove the battery and try just in case there is some kind of a short in the battery, that is causing the laptop to switch off as a protective measure.
3. Try to boot from a USB based OS - such as Linux and see if this also suffers the same fate. This step will ensure to rule out OS as a possible problem.

If not possible to do the above then the Dell service center should be able to help. They have been reasonably responsive when i took a Inspiron having a power supply issue (power adapter would show as charging for the first 1 second or so and then switch off - it was some kind of a short -circuit protection in the adapter is what I heard). So the power supply board in the laptop was changed.

If Dell cannot fix it as it's a very old laptop, a friendly neighborhood laptop repair person is probably your best bet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deep_bang (Post 5786701)
That's weird. Have you tried running it with a different power adapter? It rare but could be that the power adaptor, has a problem especially when heated up.

Tried with different adapter as well with same power rating. Issue persists. Gave the laptop to local shop who does laptop repair. They diagnosed the problem with the Power IC which regulates the cooling fan speed. Apparently, the power IC is not commanding more fan speed as the CPU temperature increases. This results in overheating and shutdown.

The shop quoted 2.5k to replace the IC and I have given a go ahead. Hopefully it should solve the problem.

Now that embargo on new Arm Laptops has been lifted; reviews are trickling in.

https://www.tomsguide.com/computing/...x-elite-review

https://www.anandtech.com/show/21445...ture-deep-dive

Summary :
  1. As expected , Qualcomm was Hyping up the capabilities. Chip is not "that" good.
  2. It is leaps ahead of Intel and AMD for battery life and Matches Apple M3
  3. People will "Pick and choose" facts and picture can be painted either way; i.e. M3 is better or this new chip. Difference is so close.
  4. 12 Hours battery life is not a problem. No need to take charger out during 15 Hrs BOM-JFK flights

Pick and choose :

Name:  snapdragon_vs_m3.png
Views: 45
Size:  31.9 KB

And :

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 5779529)
No Windows laptop can touch the Macbook for hardware quality, speed, battery life (10 hours)

Speed and battery life is now close to Apple. Hardware quality.. is a different story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay (Post 5780222)
Like Apple, Microsoft have ditched Intel for ARM and have used a CPU built by same team that designed M1 CPU for Apple.

Team has done it again, for both hardware as well as translation layer for X68 software.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ads11 (Post 5780905)
I've long wished for the Windows laptop world to have access to a similar quantum leap in everyday usable battery life and performance that the M-series chips brought to the Mac world.
However, from a cursory glance it looks like Microsoft and Qualcomm are being ever so slightly disingenuous with their not-quite-apples-to-apples comparison (pun unintended).

Both turned out to be true. This "is" a quantum leap and was overhyped.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 5782126)
I sure hope so, man! I love Windows OS and I hate MacOS. Am running Windows on my new Air using Parallels virtualization which is really not the same as running Windows natively.

This might be a realistic option, we will know in few months when real user reviews start showing up. Can't discount bias in press reviews.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 5782126)
But the problem is, even choosing a good Windows laptop is tough.

- With a Macbook, you just walk into an Apple store ..... shortlisting Windows laptops, I drowned in the sea of options .. Plus, I have to tell you. After using top-of-the-line Dell laptops for years, nothing beats a Macbook for build quality, beautiful keyboard and that amazing trackpad.

This will probably always be the case. Nothing will beat Apple's service. My Org buys thousands of Laptops; all companies have bad laptops. Apple is unmatched while replacing problematic laptops within 3 years (1 yrs + 2 Yr Apple care+).

After that ... a failed part means 75k.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTI (Post 5782520)

I'd zero in on either of the two Lenovo's you have listed. Strike all the rest out. I have a previous gen Asus TUF. Strictly a budget machine and a budget build. Nothing great. Its a screamer too when you and ripping through games. I don't think that can be completely avoided as all these laptops will run hot once you crank them. Ideally, the one that draws the least amount of power, should run cooler, provided the cooling solution is well designed. Lenovo are pretty good when it comes to this. Do not expect great runtime off the wall socket with any of these laptops.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandeepmohan (Post 5790188)
I'd zero in on either of the two Lenovo's you have listed. Strike all the rest out. I have a previous gen Asus TUF. Strictly a budget machine and a budget build. Nothing great. Its a screamer too when you and ripping through games. I don't think that can be completely avoided as all these laptops will run hot once you crank them. Ideally, the one that draws the least amount of power, should run cooler, provided the cooling solution is well designed. Lenovo are pretty good when it comes to this. Do not expect great runtime off the wall socket with any of these laptops.

Thank you! The lenovos are already the primary preferences in my list.

Hello to all the tech geeks here!
I'm looking to buy a new laptop in the range of ₹50K-₹60K. Stumbled across this laptop with the following specs.

HP 15s 12th Gen Intel Core i5, 15.6" display, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, Backlit Keyboard

Whats y'all opinion on this? This laptop will be used for my college with occasional gaming (GTA V)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 5779529)
Nothing touches a Macbook with M chip, especially if you are getting it at prices comparable to Windows. Get that only. Take the Apple Care+ package that covers damages. Or you can get insurance for it. See prices at local stores too. I have seen deals at 70k in India too.

No Windows laptop can touch the Macbook for hardware quality, speed, battery life (10 hours), keyboard pleasure, trackpad & durability. We now have 6 Macbooks in the family (including siblings) and all of them are running like champs (one is 10 years old, another 6 and another 5).

Finally got the M3 Macbook air at 80k from Japan (retailing at 105000/- in India). The day I bought it, It was at 92k in the US, dropped to 76k there within a few hours of my purchase.:coldsweat Thanks to all for all the inputs and guidance.