Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-466.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis (Post 5682096)
Experts, need a bit of help:

Got a Windows laptop in 2019 with Intel processor for regular home stuff (just websites, word, excel work-no media consumption etc.). But over the years it has been excruciatingly slow. Got the HDD changed once and it sped up for sometime but it painful to use to say the least.

Thinking of getting an M2 MacBook Air so that it can be used sparingly for next decade.

Is this OK or should we look for another Windows laptop but this time with AMD?
Any suggestion? Don't need the device for gaming or movie watching.

A 2019 Intel processor would be 9th gen processor, old but definitely more than enough for basic tasks that you mentioned.

Please check if you have McAfee Antivirus installed or any other antivirus. If yes, please uninstall them. Windows Defender (built in protection) is all that you need.

Also, after changing the HDD, did you again get a HDD and not a SSD? If your laptop still has a HDD, that is the culprit. Changing it with a SSD will solve all your problems. My father uses a 2015 Laptop with SSD that still does his basic tasks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis (Post 5682096)
Got a Windows laptop in 2019 with Intel processor for regular home stuff (just websites, word, excel work-no media consumption etc.). But over the years it has been excruciatingly slow.

Can you give more details like model number and brand ? E.g.: if laptop has 8 GB or lower RAM and i3 CPU, it will be slow.

I right now have a Dell 5000 series (I think 5415) with AMD Ryzen, equivalent to Intel i7. I will not advise going below an i5 (avoid i3). the more RAM the better. It is running in Windows 11 which I have not still fully understood. If you are comfortable with Linux then the requirements are far lower. Why I am not running Linux is the difficulty of finding good drivers for printers, etc. With Windows make sure to update frequently to get the latest anti-virus patches. I am told that third party anti-virus are not really required.

I had an Apple earlier but could not get comfortable with it.

For people with an old/slow laptop which you use sparingly, before wasting money on a new one, try these first

- Change the HDD to SSD
- If you are comfortable with Linux, try it out
- Try one of the debloat tools available online
- Or try a debloated Windows installation like Tiny 11
(https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ti...ean-windows-11)

Windows 11 users, please run the Update since the 'tick' mark may not be correct. So I have made it a habit. Often the anti Virus is updated even twice a day

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candy$Cars (Post 5682130)
A 2019 Intel processor would be 9th gen processor, old but definitely more than enough for basic tasks that you mentioned.

Please check if you have McAfee Antivirus installed or any other antivirus. If yes, please uninstall them. Windows Defender (built in protection) is all that you need.

Also, after changing the HDD, did you again get a HDD and not a SSD? If your laptop still has a HDD, that is the culprit. Changing it with a SSD will solve all your problems. My father uses a 2015 Laptop with SSD that still does his basic tasks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay (Post 5682629)
Can you give more details like model number and brand ? E.g.: if laptop has 8 GB or lower RAM and i3 CPU, it will be slow.

Just checked. The system is an 8th Gen, Core i3. :sadface

Haven't changed the HDD to an SSD but I doubt if this change will even help.
Have made all the setting changes but this laptop still ambles like a drunk.

I am totally clueless about windows laptops. I need to buy a windows laptop for someone and here are my requirements:

1. OLED or similar great looking screen (touch would be bonus)
2. Should come with a USB-C charger (don't want round pin charger)

Usage would be casual student/family use cases, no need for performance except for a very good/bright screen and robust build quality.

I want to buy a used laptop from Lenovo or Dell brands. I don't want to pay premium for a brand new laptop. I would have picked an early model Apple Macbook Air M1 for Rs 60-65K if that was an option. Please suggest few good windows laptops comparable to Apple Macbook Air M1. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis (Post 5693276)

Haven't changed the HDD to an SSD but I doubt if this change will even help.
Have made all the setting changes but this laptop still ambles like a drunk.

If it's for basic tasks, even an 8th Gen Core i3 is workable. You haven't mentioned how much RAM you have. If you have currently have 4 GB, just add a 4 GB or 8GB RAM stick and add a cheap SSD and it should be good enough for basic tasks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 5693434)
Sorry, IBM does not market under its own name. I think it is Lenovo now.

You replied to a message from 2004. I think IBM PC business wasn't acquired by Lenovo then. They acquired it in 2005.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis (Post 5693276)

What is the Model number ? Depending in "which" i3; this might be workable. In some models, RAM is upgradable as well.

So for my writing/storing usage I have a very old laptop, a Sony Vaio 2011/12 model. It's battery went kaput in 2016. This one I started using as a desktop. I never changed it as I have other one which I have kept changing every 4 years. I left the battery as it is and kept using the laptop constantly plugged in. Something striking happened, the battery has now waken up after 7 long years on its own. It now charges up to 74% and holds well enough for 2 hours.

The battery cells seems to have re-aligned somehow or is it something bad waiting to happen?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candy$Cars (Post 5682130)

My 2019 laptop with i5 9300H is still working as good as new with no slowdowns. Over the years the SSD is increased to 1.25TB (Apart from 1TB HDD) and RAM to 32GB.

Apart from hardware upgrades, people should try optimizing OS and use programs like Tuneup Utlities to disable unnecessary startup programs, background processes & clean up memory & cache.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...your-rigs.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by androdev (Post 5693519)
I would have picked an early model Apple Macbook Air M1 for Rs 60-65K if that was an option. Please suggest few good windows laptops comparable to Apple Macbook Air M1. Thanks!

Presently there is simply no windows laptop that competes with the MacBook Air. Be it an M1 at 65-85k or an M2 for 1.2 lacs there is simply no windows laptop in that price with a screen as good and I’m including all the latest oled Zenbooks and even the GalaxyBook 3 pro/ultimate they can say as much as they want about oled or miniled or whatever but they simply don’t look as good or as bright as a basic M1 air’s display does. Now factor in the battery life (can literally binge watch an entire series or 4 movies before having to plug it in to charge), the loudness and sound quality as well as the superior build and there is simply nothing out there that competes. Buy an M1 air :thumbs up or you’ll only waste your time searching for a windows laptop that competes which is atleast a couple of years away.

This is coming from a hardcore windows fan btw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IshaanIan (Post 5702334)
Presently there is simply no windows laptop that competes with the MacBook Air. Be it an M1 at 65-85k or an M2 for 1.2 lacs there is simply no windows laptop in that price with a screen as good and I’m including all the latest oled Zenbooks and even the GalaxyBook 3 pro/ultimate they can say as much as they want about oled or miniled or whatever but they simply don’t look as good or as bright as a basic M1 air’s display does. Now factor in the battery life (can literally binge watch an entire series or 4 movies before having to plug it in to charge), the loudness and sound quality as well as the superior build and there is simply nothing out there that competes. Buy an M1 air :thumbs up or you’ll only waste your time searching for a windows laptop that competes which is atleast a couple of years away.

This is coming from a hardcore windows fan btw.

Unfortunately I need to buy this for someone who would be better served by a windows ecosystem if you know what you mean. I have a budget of 55-60K which would get me a 2nd hand macbook air m1 but Mac stuff is not an option. I was thinking of a used Lenovo T14 thinkpad in that. budget - what do you think of it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by androdev (Post 5702472)
Unfortunately I need to buy this for someone who would be better served by a windows ecosystem if you know what you mean. I have a budget of 55-60K

Asus Zenbook 13 OLED. Refer to my short review here -https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-448.html#post5392166

Absolutely love it even after 18months.

Cheers...