Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-465.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashvek3141 (Post 5658597)
Primarily now looking for (a little more refined now) ,

- Screen size = 14" / Lightweight
- Full HD (or better) display
- Processor = i5 - 11 / 12 Gen's as the 13's are on a higher side.
- 512 GB SDD.
- RAM possibly upto 16 GB for future proofing.
- Good battery life (as she has to work on lot of presentations)
- Good looks (not priority).
- With regards to brands = Dell > lenovo > HP; but I think Dell laptops are slightly pricier than the two.

EDIT: Update on the budget = 50 - 55k INR.

Here are a few models worth considering (price from low to high)

HP Laptop with Ryzen 5 but its cheap @ under 45k and worth considering.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0B58VN76J/...vBHjFb0016l0AN

Dell Vostro i5 11th gen under 49k
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0C15CDKTN/...vBHzZW0012Y0gU

Dell Vostro Ryzen 5 under 49k
https://www.croma.com/dell-vostro-34...ampaign=50kcpc

https://www.flipkart.com/dell-vostro...vBIMRK001KWSf4

HP Ryzen 7 under 51k
https://www.flipkart.com/hp-ryzen-7-...vBIU8F001B2cRZ

Acer Swift Go Ryzen 5
https://www.croma.com/acer-swift-go-...ampaign=50kcpc

HP i5 12th Gen under 55k
https://www.flipkart.com/hp-intel-co...vBIoEG001eDHqw

Although you prefer the i5, I have mentioned a couple of Ryzen 5/7 which are at par with the i5 11th gen/ 12th gen in terms of performance, just in case you change your mind, moreover, I have attached one Acer Swift laptop which from my personal experience has great build and quality.

Do check these out and hope it helps!

If you need any more help in deciding between them! feel free to DM!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashvek3141 (Post 5659237)

Just a quick query since I have a very limited knowledge on the processors - are these AMD Ryzen's just as good and reliable as intel processors? I was banking on Intel i5 since we've have been using htme for ages now and I thought that nothing comes close.

The Thinkpad goes outta my budget as mine is limited to 50 - 55k INR.

Aside, I had shortlisted 2 laptops yesterday on Flipkart (Priced at 49k INR)

Ryzen is as good if not better. The I5 has 4 cores where as Ryzen 5000 series has 6 cores. So more multiprocessing processing power.

Regarding Budget, that is your personal choice, but I would still recommend Thinkpad as they are way ahead of competing machines in terms of build quality, screen and relaibility. In general they also last longer In the long run a few tens of Rupees is worth the peace of mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashvek3141 (Post 5658597)
Primarily now looking for (a little more refined now) ,

- Screen size = 14" / Lightweight
- Full HD (or better) display
- Processor = i5 - 11 / 12 Gen's as the 13's are on a higher side.
- 512 GB SDD.
- RAM possibly upto 16 GB for future proofing.
- Good battery life (as she has to work on lot of presentations)
- Good looks (not priority).
- With regards to brands = Dell > lenovo > HP; but I think Dell laptops are slightly pricier than the two.

EDIT: Update on the budget = 50 - 55k INR.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashvek3141 (Post 5659237)
Aside, I had shortlisted 2 laptops yesterday on Flipkart (Priced at 49k INR) and felt that they offer quite decent specs for the price; but sadly when I went to place an order today their prices shot up by a whopping 15k INR !! :crying

Attachment 2529445

Quick update - managed to pick the below lenovo laptop for ~ 44k INR (inclusive of 2k CC discount). The prices which had shot up earlier, settled back on the next day. Immediately ordered one without wasting much time. delivery is pretty slow though and also, it's an 'open-box-delivery' by default now.

The model comes with Windows 11 Home, pre-installed but no MS Office.

Surprisingly, the 'S' models are the only ones with a 3-Years warranty; rest are 1-Year standard.

Many thanks for your responses / suggestions. :thumbs up

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-screenshot-20231113-142213.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashvek3141 (Post 5660788)
Surprisingly, the 'S' models are the only ones with a 3-Years warranty; rest are 1-Year standard.

Many thanks for your responses / suggestions. :thumbs up

Attachment 2530713

Congrats on the purchase! Yes, the S Models, Thinkpad lineup, a few Ideapad models, Yoga series, and a couple of Legion models are the only ones that get more than 1 year of warranty. Your choice is a good one. Now as regards Open-Box delivery, it is more of a hassle than a convenience, be sure to thoroughly check the laptop for external defects before accepting and you will be good to go.

Guys, how are Ideapad Slim 3 Laptops? They have a AMD Ryzen 7 5700U with 16 GB RAM & 512 GB SSD at under 50,000Rs.

Any idea how good is at home warranty service & also quality of the laptop as compared to a Dell Inspiron?

The laptop will be used only at home - won't be carried out ever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 5666937)
Guys, how are Ideapad Slim 3 Laptops? They have a AMD Ryzen 7 5700U with 16 GB RAM & 512 GB SSD at under 50,000Rs.

Any idea how good is at home warranty service & also quality of the laptop as compared to a Dell Inspiron?

The laptop will be used only at home - won't be carried out ever.

They are good, reliable, VFM laptops. I have been using an Ideapad Gaming 3 since 2020 and my friend has a Ideapad Slim 3 running linux on it. The warranty support is not as good as HP (in terms of touch points and only 1 year of free warranty) but not bad at all. You will find their service centres in most of the tier 2 or 3 cities and they offer at home service too. Never had to use it, so take my words with a pinch of salt.

The only issue I ever had in my laptop was created by me forcing a shut down in middle of Windows update. Never found a issue with overheating. The battery life is similar to any other laptop with GPU, neither exceptional nor worse. I also really like their keyboards. There are couple of known problems (though I haven't experienced any). Do checkout Lenovo's official forums for your particular model.

But in between Dell and Lenovo, go for Lenovo eyes closed. My sister had a Dell Inspiron and it had to be replaced after 3 years, despite being used for only college work. The difference in build quality of Lenovo and Dell is day and night. It excels on all terms be it sturdy feel, hardware reliability, durability or even panels not separating. My family's experience with 2 Dell laptops has been so bad that I would recommend you HP or Asus over it if you do not like Lenovo.

If you do end up buying Lenovo, buy it from their official site. Many times you can get a bag for like 1 Rs extra. Also do not forget to take the extended warranty. It costs around 2K but will save you money if anything does go wrong.

Thank you for the reply.

Quote:

Originally Posted by YD14 (Post 5667010)
The warranty support is not as good as HP (in terms of touch points

What does touch points mean?

Quote:

Originally Posted by YD14 (Post 5667010)
But in between Dell and Lenovo, go for Lenovo eyes closed. My sister had a Dell Inspiron and it had to be replaced after 3 years, despite being used for only college work.

My current laptop is Dell Inspiron. It's 5.5 years old. It's the best laptop I have ever had in my life (I have used multiple Thinkpads T-Series & also a HP). I have had far more durability problems on the Thinkpad & also battery problems & charger problems. The Inspiron was the best. In terms of service, I found both the Thinkpad & Dell to be very, very good.
The only reason I am hesitating on the Lenovo is whether because I am wondering if the quality & after sales service will be as good as Dell Inspiron.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 5667017)
My current laptop is Dell Inspiron. It's 5.5 years old. It's the best laptop I have ever had in my life (I have used multiple Thinkpads T-Series & also a HP). I have had far more durability problems on the Thinkpad & also battery problems & charger problems. The Inspiron was the best. In terms of service, I found both the Thinkpad & Dell to be very, very good.
The only reason I am hesitating on the Lenovo is whether because I am wondering if the quality & after sales service will be as good as Dell Inspiron.

The lenovo thinkpad series is way ahead of their other series in terms of keyboard, screen and build. So do not confuse the ideapad with thinkpad.

Regarding after sales service, I cannot comment as I have never had any problem with any of my x or t series thinkpads, excepting battery issues, which are solved by buying a battery online.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aroy (Post 5667057)
The lenovo thinkpad series is way ahead of their other series in terms of keyboard, screen and build. So do not confuse the ideapad with thinkpad.

Nope, I am not confusing anything. I have used 3 T Series Thinkpads at the workplace in my life. My Inspiron was far better than those 3 at half the price. I have never used an Ideapad - if I buy one, it will be my first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aroy (Post 5667057)
Regarding after sales service, I cannot comment as I have never had any problem with any of my x or t series thinkpads, excepting battery issues, which are solved by buying a battery online.

Both Dell & Thinkpad have very good service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 5667017)
What does touch points mean?

By touch points I mean the service centers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 5667064)
Nope, I am not confusing anything. I have used 3 T Series Thinkpads at the workplace in my life. My Inspiron was far better than those 3 at half the price. I have never used an Ideapad - if I buy one, it will be my first.

I haven't used Thinkpads but have looked at one in real life and can tell you Ideapads are miles head in terms of look and finish at least. The Thinkpad looks like it is from early 2000s while Ideapad Slim looks 2023. I can vouch about quality and other hardware like charging and battery of my Ideapad Gaming 3. Never had any issue and my usage includes heavy gaming on the laptop. Again I suggest going to Lenovo's official forum and looking for any common problems relating to your particular model. The forum was helpful for me when making the purchase.

To clear doubts about Lenovo's service, one thing you can do is search for Lenovo authorized service centers near you and check out their reviews on google maps. Even for at home service most of the time same guys that run the service center will be sent, so that should help.

My experience with Dell has left a sour taste in my mouth, but if you trust Dell go for it. I would still suggest you get Lenovo just for changing to something new.

Quote:

Originally Posted by YD14 (Post 5667127)
By touch points I mean the service centers.

Aah, ok. That's not a problem for me. I have owned Lenovo Thinkpads & I know Lenovo homeservice works great here. Plus there is also a service center not that far off.

Hi, wanted to know reviews about Asus. Planning to buy a new laptop for Dad, since his Lenovo is almost 6 years now and niggles have started cropping up. Was surfing for new options, but Lenovo and HP don't have any great options around 35k. Asus seemed good for the price. Please advise. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamNikhil (Post 5669946)
Hi, wanted to know reviews about Asus. Planning to buy a new laptop for Dad, since his Lenovo is almost 6 years now and niggles have started cropping up. Was surfing for new options, but Lenovo and HP don't have any great options around 35k. Asus seemed good for the price. Please advise. Thanks.

Had got an Asus Vivobook Oled 4 months back, went with 3 year extended warranty. Great laptop for the price point, and onsite services were quite good. (My first time buying Asus)

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 5666937)
Guys, how are Ideapad Slim 3 Laptops?

So I ordered this laptop from the Lenovo site & I got it today. I got it for 50,000 Rs with

- AMD Ryzen 7 5700U
- Windows 11 Home
- 16 GB RAM
- 512 GB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3/4
- 3 Years onsite warranty
- Laptop Bag

There is also a 2,500 Rs cashback which I have to get.

The day after I ordered it, they raised the price by around 4-5,000 Rs! And now the product is removed from their online store.

Anyway, it seems like VFM - let's see how it goes.

Experts, need a bit of help:

Got a Windows laptop in 2019 with Intel processor for regular home stuff (just websites, word, excel work-no media consumption etc.). But over the years it has been excruciatingly slow. Got the HDD changed once and it sped up for sometime but it painful to use to say the least.

Thinking of getting an M2 MacBook Air so that it can be used sparingly for next decade.

Is this OK or should we look for another Windows laptop but this time with AMD?
Any suggestion? Don't need the device for gaming or movie watching.