Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2023, 17:33   #6811
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Any users of ASUS ZenBook? Thinking of buying the Zenbook S13 just because it is portable. Do they last for 6~7 years, hardware wise? Replacement batteries available in I
Please refer to my short review of the Asus ZenBook 13 - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post5392166 (The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions) , that I had got in 58k last September. Loving every moment with it.

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 18:16   #6812
Senior - BHPian

Getting a deal on an Asus 16" Ryzen Laptop. Amazon has it for 55k, getting it from a retail store for 50k.

https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-Vivobook-...0B4BNYQ4G?th=1

Worthy?
Old 25th April 2023, 18:28   #6813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Getting a deal on an Asus 16" Ryzen Laptop. Amazon has it for 55k, getting it from a retail store for 50k.

https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-Vivobook-...0B4BNYQ4G?th=1

Worthy?
I purchased the 8 GB version of this laptop last Aug for ~55K from Amazon.

The laptop has excellent performance (with 8GB RAM) and the screen is also pretty bright at 300 nits. However, the size and weight of the laptop is a bit high (1.8 kg) and battery backup is 3 - 3.5 hours (between 20 - 80% battery charge) for non heavy tasks like browsing, Youtube etc.

My use case was mostly for use at home, web based learning and for kids and for that laptop is extremely good.
kochup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 22:58   #6814
BHPian

Guys, I am a developer and planning to purchase a windows laptop. My requirements are [1] 17' screen size [2] 16 GB RAM [3] i7 or Ryzen 7 [4] High quality webcam [5] Decent battery life.

It would be great if you could provide your suggestions. Budget - 75K - 1L. Thanks in advance.
Old 27th April 2023, 00:41   #6815
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu789 View Post
Guys, I am a developer and planning to purchase a windows laptop. My requirements are [1] 17' screen size [2] 16 GB RAM [3] i7 or Ryzen 7 [4] High quality webcam [5] Decent battery life.

It would be great if you could provide your suggestions. Budget - 75K - 1L. Thanks in advance.
You can use this site to narrow down your choices-

https://gaming.unboxparadigm.com/#details
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 09:36   #6816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
You can use this site to narrow down your choices-

https://gaming.unboxparadigm.com/#details
Thanks Buddy. This one is more for gamers but I am looking for developers laptop. One with high quality webcam for online meetings, long battery life and run tools like Intellij Idea seamlessly.
Old 27th April 2023, 11:36   #6817
BHPian

Quote:

Such large screen is rare these days and will lead to increased cost and weight. As a developer, having an extra large monitor is always a better option than carrying a larger laptop.

So you can look for 14-15' display but focus on better hardware and add a secondary monitor wherever you work. That will be more VFM.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 11:46   #6818
BHPian

Quote:

Look at LG Gram. It fits all your requirements. The I7 processor used is of lower power but it excels in battery life. Might not be suitable to run webservers or huge databases for extended periods, but it can get through almost everything.
Mustang_Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 13:03   #6819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
As a developer, having an extra large monitor is always a better option than carrying a larger laptop.
I already work this way. I have a Macbook pro 13 which is connected to an extra large monitor. I travel often and I don't want to carry external monitor with me. Moreover about Mac webcam less said the better. I tried connecting Logitech cam and also used iGlasses but no use. After a decade I am moving back to Windows laptop for just this purpose. Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 27th April 2023, 13:08   #6820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Boss View Post
Look at LG Gram.
Thanks buddy. I have already shortlisted this one. Any first hand experience with webcam quality? Other specifications looks good on paper.

Mods - Sorry for the back to back posts. Could you please merge it? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by prabhu789 : 27th April 2023 at 13:13. Reason: Request to mods to merge back to back posts
Old 27th April 2023, 13:25   #6821
BHPian

I have observed just one thing, when comparing prices between online stores and physical stores; The processor generation changes. while both may be i7 processors one might be a 11th gen whereas the other might be a 12th gen which may be the cause for the price difference. So it is important to read the specifications in depth.
silvercloud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 13:27   #6822
BHPian

Quote:
I already work this way. I have a Macbook pro 13 which is connected to an extra large monitor. I travel often and I don't want to carry external monitor with me. Moreover about Mac webcam less said the better. I tried connecting Logitech cam and also used iGlasses but no use. After a decade I am moving back to Windows laptop for just this purpose. Thanks for your suggestion.
With the new OS updates, you can now use your iPhone camera as a secondary camera with the MacBook
ValarMorghulis is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 10:42   #6823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As others have said, 17" laptop will be heavy and a power hog. Better get a light 14" MIL grade laptop with extended battery life and use one or two external monitors. You can explore the feasibility of my configuration.

. Lenovo E14 Ryzen5 laptop with 24GB RAM and a 512GB SSD.
. Two external monitors - 27" 4K and 24" HD.
. A USB C Hub.
. A USB SATA Hub.
. 8 2 1/2" USB external HDD
. 8 3 1/2" legacy SATA HDD connected to a usb SATA hub.

The configuration lets me use max 4 USB HDD and one SATA disk at a time.
The CPU has 6 cores, 12 threads. Good enough for Image Processing, Video editing and other jobs.
Aroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 10:27   #6824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Better get a light 14" MIL grade laptop with extended battery life and use one or two external monitors.
Thanks Aroy for your valuable suggestion. I already have this setup with my Macbook pro. I am looking for laptop which I can carry around something like LG Gram 17.

@Bengaluru Folks - I would like to touch and feel the laptop before the purchase hence planning to pick up from retail stores like Croma, Reliance Digital, etc. Could you please suggest a few best shops in Bengaluru for the same? Its been a more than a decade I left the place and I am not sure of the popular stores to purchase the laptop now.

Thanks in advance.
Old 13th May 2023, 08:24   #6825
BANNED

My Dell Inspiron 3750 laptop will complete 5 years in August. It has a 256 GB NvME SSD as the only hard disk. Haven't faced any problems yet with the disk but I am a little worried that if something happens to the disk, I will have to spend a lot of time to restore data. I am wondering if it's worth spending time to clone the disk on a new SSD & replace the old one.

The laptop's battery is old & hence very weak & will have to replace that also soon.

I am wondering if it's worth spending money on these 2 changes considering it's nearing 5 years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks