Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2022, 19:29   #6781
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
I am looking for an i5(12th Gen) or Ryzen 5 laptop for my son's college work. Budget is around 60K +/- 5K.
One of the key requirements is a thunderbolt port to avoid a bunch of connections. I find that none of the brands like HP/Lenovo offer that in the mid range laptops. Dell doesnt even have a good range in 12th gen. They are still hawking 11th Gen laptops at atrocious prices.

Any suggestions welcome for a good spec laptop with thunderbolt port in the budget specified.
Here you go,

https://www.amazon.in/Lenovo-ThinkBo...%2C245&sr=8-29

https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Window...s%2C245&sr=8-3
revvharder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 11:50   #6782
Senior - BHPian

I found that Thinkpads with Ryzen 5 do not have thunderbolt, while the same model with i5 has. So look for i5 in general.

There is quite a difference between Thinkbook and Thinkpad, even though they have similar specifications. If you can afford, go for Thinkpad - better screen, better protection and better keyboard amongst others. Check "Thinkpad vs Thinkbook" for online reviews.

https://www.lenovo.com/in/en/laptops...2/p/20TAS10T00
Old 20th November 2022, 20:46   #6783
BHPian

Hello members, I am looking to buy a gaming laptop, with primary intentions of learning designing software, video editing and then occasional gaming at high setting at the very least.

Keeping in mind that this laptop should be relevant for at least 3-5 years, I am targeting the following specs:

1. AMD Ryzen 7 5th gen (AMD has been the better bet against similar Intel chips?)
2. 16 GB Ram
3. 15.6 inch screen size
4. A good battery backup preferred.
5. GFx card - 3060. How would 3050 and 3050ti actually perform in real world for my designated use case? If they are more than sufficient, I might not go for 3060 really.
6. sRGB 100% preferred.
7. A good OEM support must.

I have Lenovo IdeaPad 3 - https://www.amazon.in/Lenovo-IdeaPad...it-82K201UNIN/ in my shortlist and similar ones.

My budget hovers around 80-85k with GST invoice further reducing the actual cost as I have a business I can get the GST input for.

I am looking to buy around the upcoming Black Friday Sale, either from here or the US if the prices are lucrative over there.

This is my first big purchase in laptop segment, hence please guide me.
ManasN95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 01:31   #6784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManasN95 View Post
My budget hovers around 80-85k with GST invoice further reducing the actual cost as I have a business I can get the GST input for.

You missed some of the best deals in the Big Billion Day & Great Indian Sale. Don't be fixated on a brand, rather see which brand offers best spec for the price you are paying for. If the price and specs are similar, look for the smaller things which are overlooked but can make a difference like Single vs Dual channel ram, Advanced Optimus support, expandable m2 slots, Known thermal issues if any etc. Will recommend you go through these videos and get answer to your query yourself. Will definitely recommend you to get 3060 at least just for the extra VRAM which is required for max settings in many AAA games.

Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 08:32   #6785
BHPian

Quote:
primary intentions of learning designing software, video editing and...
Did you say DESIGNING?

There will be a day when you will be banging your head on the desk because you ended up with a beast laptop in terms of specs but no use since it doesn't have a color accurate display panel.

There will be a time when you will be realizing that REC 709, DCI-PC, sRGB, AdobeRGB color spaces are more important than anything else. Telling you from my own experience since I have been there.

You can get 50 or 100 laptop models from different brands with similar looking specs but there will be barely one or two leading in the color accurate display. And trust me, a mediocre spec laptop with good display panel can cost you more than a top spec laptop.

In my experience you can keep using a laptop for atleast 7 years before you start feeling for upgrade. Since laptops are getting slimmer and lighter, build quality is also getting inferior and chassis of most laptops gives up before the specs get older. Look for MIL-STD-810H grade laptops.

If its a long term investment with productivity oriented serious intentions then choose wisely. Look for the value instead of the cost.

For gaming, get anyone out of those 50-100 models.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 21st November 2022 at 08:53.
tbppjpr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 10:27   #6786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello members, I am looking to buy a gaming laptop, with primary intentions of learning designing software, video editing and then occasional gaming at high setting at the very least.

Im sorry to say this but in your budget you will have to make a compromise between an RTX3060, with a high enough tgp required if you want to play games at high settings, or a solid color accurate display. You will not be able to get both within that budget even if you purchase from the US. Which I recommend you still do since you would get a better deal there. So you will have to decide what matters more to you if it is work, then focus on the display and just ensure that there's a dedicated GPU and that you're getting the correct processor (not some ultraportable version with the same name but a few cores and cache chopped out) also preferably with some level of upgradability; should be easy to open, clean and replace certain bits for long term peace of mind. In my experience ASUS offers the best value for money in terms of specs offered along with long term reliability. Lenovo is also a solid manufacturer when it comes to long term reliability with better availability of parts but you have to pay more for it. Dell is great and their customer support is arguably the best (both from my personal experience of interacting with them as well as observing the interactions of a friend I studied with in design college) BUT their driver stability and quality control is atrocious (1.3 lac laptop in my case and an even more expensive alienware in my friend's case I opted for a refund he went in for a replacement both carried out swiftly with least resistance) so for peace of mind I would recommend ASUS or Lenovo if budget permits

Last edited by IshaanIan : 21st November 2022 at 10:38.
Old 21st November 2022, 10:55   #6787
BHPian

Hello All,

Does anyone have any experience with the Laptop Screen Extender Monitor?

We can see below available on Amazon:
  1. 15 Inch Triple Portable Monitor - Riitek FHD 1080P HDR IPS Laptop Monitor Screen Extender for Dual Monitor Display
  1. Portable Monitor, 15in Full HD IPS Type C HDR Dual Monitor Laptop Screen Extender

Is it worth the buy? Any reviews??
Your feedback is appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 21st November 2022, 12:19   #6788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Keeping in mind that this laptop should be relevant for at least 3-5 years, I am targeting the following specs:

1. AMD Ryzen 7 5th gen (AMD has been the better bet against similar Intel chips?)
2. 16 GB Ram
3. 15.6 inch screen size
4. A good battery backup preferred.
5. GFx card - 3060. How would 3050 and 3050ti actually perform in real world for my designated use case? If they are more than sufficient, I might not go for 3060 really.
6. sRGB 100% preferred.
7. A good OEM support must.

I have Lenovo IdeaPad 3 - https://www.amazon.in/Lenovo-IdeaPad...it-82K201UNIN/ in my shortlist and similar ones.

I am looking to buy around the upcoming Black Friday Sale, either from here or the US if the prices are lucrative over there.

I think that your budget is way off. You need to upgrade to at least 1lac preferable 1.25L to get a decent machine - i7 or Ryzen 7.

1. If you want a stable and rugged machine do not go for Lenovo Ideapad. Instead opt for Lenovo Thinkpad series - E seroies or T series. Their screens are much better and colour more accurate.

2. 16GB RAM is the absolute minimum today. Aim for 24GB or 32GB. RAM is cheap, but performance is much better with more RAM.

3. 512GB SSD in most laptops is inadequate for most work - Design, Video editing or CADD, all use up disk space at an alarming rate. Choose a laptop that can accomodate a second disk drive. Thinkpads can accomodate a second SSD. Preferably you should have a 1TB SSD as primary and another 1TB as secondary disk.

4. Further you need to add one or two external monitors. I have two - 24"HD and 27" 4K. Once you have them you will appreciate the real estate and high resolution displays for design work.

This machine should meet your immidiate requirements (it is in deals at lenovo). You can add more RAM and second SSD later. Or else explore customizing the laptop for at least - 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM, Better screen - 2k or 4k.

https://www.lenovo.com/in/en/laptops...1/p/20UES4XD00

Last edited by Aroy : 21st November 2022 at 12:22.
Old 23rd November 2022, 14:32   #6789
BHPian

Hi guys, thanks a lot for your replies.

I am more or less finalising on the following option:

Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 82K201UNIN

Link : https://www.amazon.in/Lenovo-IdeaPad...77&sr=8-3&th=1

Experienced people please go through as this falls within my requirement as well as my budget.

Now to the hunting part of the buying. I have started searching on Lamington Road, Mumbai - if anyone offers me at a better rate than Amazon then I will go for it.

Please suggest.
Old 23rd November 2022, 14:39   #6790
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys, thanks a lot for your replies.

I am more or less finalising on the following option:

Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 82K201UNIN

Experienced people please go through as this falls within my requirement as well as my budget.
I believe Ideapad's built quality is inferior. Please consider Acer Predator Helios, Lenovo Legion, Asus TUF or similar products. I own an Acer Predator Triton 300 and can vouch for its built quality.
RR96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 15:05   #6791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR96 View Post
I believe Ideapad's built quality is inferior. Please consider Acer Predator Helios, Lenovo Legion, Asus TUF or similar products. I own an Acer Predator Triton 300 and can vouch for its built quality.
Yes but the laptops you suggested are not in my budget.

I have to compromise on some section after all. Plus actually I want a decent looking laptop as well.

What I can do is use it a little extra carefully?
Old 23rd November 2022, 15:08   #6792
BHPian

Quote:
Yes but the laptops you suggested are not in my budget.

I have to compromise on some section after all. Plus actually I want a decent looking laptop as well.

What I can do is use it a little extra carefully?
You could also consider Acer Nitro, Dell G5 both are good too. Would be in your budget too. Consider the Ryzen models. They are economical and power efficient.

Acer Predator Helios: Link

Acer Nitro: Link

Dell G15: Link

Last edited by RR96 : 23rd November 2022 at 15:16.
Old 23rd November 2022, 15:42   #6793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR96 View Post
You could also consider Acer Nitro, Dell G5 both are good too. Would be in your budget too. Consider the Ryzen models. They are economical and power efficient.

Acer Predator Helios: Link

Acer Nitro: Link

Dell G15: Link
Thank you for the links. The ones mentioned are a little inferior on spec sheet as compared to the Lenovo IdeaPad that I have shortlisted.

Here is one more I can consider, but there is a negative of NTSC % on it.

https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-Gaming-RT..._li_ss_tl&th=1
Old 23rd November 2022, 15:45   #6794
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the links. The ones mentioned are a little inferior on spec sheet as compared to the Lenovo IdeaPad that I have shortlisted.

Here is one more I can consider, but there is a negative of NTSC % on it.

https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-Gaming-RT..._li_ss_tl&th=1
Its a good model. With good build quality and battery backup.
Old 20th December 2022, 11:49   #6795
BHPian

Dell Inspiron 16 2-in-1

Bought the Dell Inspiron 16 2-in-1 Laptop from dellstore website.

I already have a Desktop for serious work and this Laptop is meant for entertainment and backup purposes. I was not bothered about battery-life and wanted the best quality screen possible within my budget, so got this 16 inch 4K OLED touch-screen model.

First thing I did was to install Linux-Ubuntu (dual-boot with Windoze). I use only Linux and so far everything works perfectly. The discrete-GPU is not getting recognized but I hope it will in future updates.

The display is scaled at 200%, otherwise the fonts will become too small since it is a 16 inch with 4K resolution.

Here is a Youtube review of this Laptop:
Attached Thumbnails
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-1_spec.png  

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-2_shrink.jpg  

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-3_ubu.png  

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-4_disp.png  

manim is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks