Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-451.html)

Have laptop locks gone out of style?

Took me a few days and several computer accessory shops to locate one. Didn't want to buy online because I've had cheap non-functional locks delivered at one previous instance. Finally found one shop who had to get it delivered from somewhere outside town. But totally worth it. I work out of multiple places and it's good to be able to chain your laptop to the table and head out for a break or lunch when working away from home.

Quote:

Originally Posted by am1m (Post 5409114)
Have laptop locks gone out of style?

Indeed, quite hard to find. I was quite surprised when I was looking for one for last year.

Its even harder to find a lock for ultra thin laptops, (like Kensington nano lock), as the normal laptop lock cannot be used with such laptops that have a smaller slot.

I had scoured the neighbourhood IT market (Wazirpur) in Delhi, and I could just find one or two Chinese options, but ultimately landed at one shop that was dealing in IT scrap, who had an old used Lenovo lock that he offered to sell for a reasonable price, that I accepted.

Very hard to find on shops, but I could locate some options on online portals like Flipkart, Croma etc for branded lock options like Lenovo.

I'm not sure where to post about this, but I've noticed extremely high CPU usage and the webpage slowing to a crawl recently when using Team-BHP (particularly when trying to post something).

There are no other tabs (other than a handful of TBHP tabs) open. I can't recreate the problem, but I've tried restarting the browser a couple of times since the first time it happened to no avail. I'm experiencing around 60% CPU usage and very slow responses (scrolling and typing) on a 10th-gen i7 with 6 cores and almost 10GB of free RAM available when this happens. It goes away when I close the browser and reopen the page.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkv_2401 (Post 5413471)
I'm not sure where to post about this, but I've noticed extremely high CPU usage and the webpage slowing to a crawl recently when using Team-BHP (particularly when trying to post something).

There are no other tabs (other than a handful of TBHP tabs) open. I can't recreate the problem, but I've tried restarting the browser a couple of times since the first time it happened to no avail. I'm experiencing around 60% CPU usage and very slow responses (scrolling and typing) on a 10th-gen i7 with 6 cores and almost 10GB of free RAM available when this happens. It goes away when I close the browser and reopen the page.

I would suggest you to look at the processes section of the task manager sorted by cpu and check the process that is consuming the cpu, and research further on that. I remember having noticed some malware in my nephew's laptop, leading to similar issues. After removing the malware, the performance was back to normal.

Usually if too many tabs in browser are open or some other cpu hogging applicable is running in the background such behaviour may be observed.

If you have your data backups, you may want to do a factory reset as a second option.

I bought a MSI Modern 14 Ryzen 5. What I like:What could have been better:Why MSI? No particular reason. I'm neither a fan nor have anything against this brand. I wanted to keep the cost as low as possible and this model gave me pretty much everything I was looking for in a laptop. Ones from Lenovo and Dell are much more expensive for the same features. I wanted RAM upgradability which many laptops don't offer. It doesn't come with MS Office bundle but that's okay as I primarily use Linux. Hardware durability and service center experience are unknown but I'm okay with taking that risk. I've been using the laptop for about 3 months now and I'm happy with the purchase.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biker Ram (Post 5414053)
I bought a MSI Modern 14 Ryzen 5. What I like:
  • Light weight and compact. Weighs 1.3kgs.
  • Backlit keyboard with 3 level brightness.
  • Good keyboard quality. Better than all Dell Latitudes and Inspiron laptops that I have used. On par with older Lenovo Thinkpads I have used.
  • Decent screen quality.
  • Extra slot for RAM. I've added a 16gb so total is now 24GB.
  • NVMe SSD. Supposed to be better than other SSDs. Though for my average use I didn't find any difference as such.
  • Minimalist design.
What could have been better:
  • Ryzen version comes with only 256GB storage option. Works for me but a 512GB option would have been better in general.
  • BIOS firmware is too basic. Can't disable webcam. Many other options that are available on Dell are missing.
  • Noticeable humming/vibration from the fan. Not noisy at all nor gets heated but a distinct vibration which I have not seen in other laptops. Fan speed can be controlled only via MSI Center application which is available only for Windows.
  • Usable battery life of around ~5 hours.
  • On Linux the brightness keeps changing automatically. Could be 'vari-bright' feature of Ryzen or something to do with driver compatibility. Apparently a known issue with laptops across different manufacturers. One of the work-arounds I found on Google addressed the problem. I have dual boot with Linux and Windows, primary being Ubuntu Mate.
Why MSI? No particular reason. I'm neither a fan nor have anything against this brand. I wanted to keep the cost as low as possible and this model gave me pretty much everything I was looking for in a laptop. Ones from Lenovo and Dell are much more expensive for the same features. I wanted RAM upgradability which many laptops don't offer. It doesn't come with MS Office bundle but that's okay as I primarily use Linux. Hardware durability and service center experience are unknown but I'm okay with taking that risk. I've been using the laptop for about 3 months now and I'm happy with the purchase.

Lenovo E14 that I bought comes with 512GB RAM.

The problem with Ryzen is that there are less USB ports, otherwise it is much better than the Intel processor ones.

My Woes of the advancement in Technology. I am a non-professional and used to keep flatbed scanner from the time my daughters were school going (till2006). Have a good one but it operates at Windows XP, Vista etc. Somehow managed with Windows 7 too. How? I myself do not remember. Now that cannot be configured which does not affect me much, as I have hardly any use for it.
My laptop with Windows 7 fell down and is kaput. The other new one has Windows 11 64 Bit operating system. This has made my Laserjet Printer HP1020 redundant being incompatible. This is terrible. I may have to get it repaired at any cost or I may have to buy another one (though used one) just for the sake of Printer.
I do not know whether to be happy with technology or bear suffering. :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amrik Singh (Post 5415546)

Thats why supporting the open and free software movement has become so much important in today's time. Join the Linux world, support it, it will return you much more than that.

I use cutting edge hardware for my 3D visualization profession and I find Linux and the alternative apps available in this environment have improved the productivity a lot, at the same time it does not let the old hardware go obsolete.

People must know that India has its own official OS called 'BOSS' (Bharat Operating System Solutions) which is basically a Linux distro. Although I would suggest something from mainstream with rock solid reliability like Linux Mint which is easy to use for those coming from the Windows world.

Best part is you can dual boot your existing computer without disturbing the existing OS and data (though backing up the important data is always recommended before proceeding with the installation).

:)

Quote:

My Woes of the advancement in Technology. I am a non-professional and used to keep flatbed scanner from the time my daughters were school going (till2006). Have a good one but it operates at Windows XP, Vista etc. Somehow managed with Windows 7 too. How? I myself do not remember. Now that cannot be configured which does not affect me much, as I have hardly any use for it.
My laptop with Windows 7 fell down and is kaput. The other new one has Windows 11 64 Bit operating system. This has made my Laserjet Printer HP1020 redundant being incompatible. This is terrible. I may have to get it repaired at any cost or I may have to buy another one (though used one) just for the sake of Printer.

If you want to give it a try, you may.

I have a Logitech webcam that was purchased in 2006, compatible only upto windows xp, and did not work with 7 onwards.

However, it still works with a linux fedora os using the default drivers.

So, if you want to give it a try, you may install a unix system like fedora on an external disk (like external drive or even USB) and then run your windows 11 laptop on linux by changing the boot sequence. Once your fedora system is up, you may check if your scanner works or if you can look for a driver.

However, working with linux can be tricky.

Alternately if you think that your hdd in your old laptop is intact, and you have slot for hdd in your newer laptop you can try making your newer system a dual boot.

Finally, if your new laptop does not have internal storage slot, you could try to put your old laptop disk in an external casing and try to make it dual boot.

Well these are some thoughts, but you are the best judge if you are comfortable with trying these options.

Thanks for supporting and trying to each an old hog like me.
I am of the era that, the first Calculator I had and used was after leaving the College. So, somehow managing to keep up with the gadgets is a great achievement. Incidentally, I still have my First Calculator 'Commodore' with me and in working condition.

Quote:

...My laptop with Windows 7 fell down and is kaput. The other new one has Windows 11 64 Bit operating system. This has made my Laserjet Printer HP1020 redundant being incompatible.

This printer should work with Windows 11 after installing this software bundle from HP. Windows 10 drivers work with Windows 11 as well.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers...-series/439423

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay (Post 5415637)
This printer should work with Windows 11 after installing this software bundle from HP. Windows 10 drivers work with Windows 11 as well.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers...-series/439423

Thanks for the advice. Yes - it is functional now.
Though a long list of hiccups.
I am not complaining, upset, grumbling in any way to the continued woes that I have really enjoyed. As advised, I did download the Printer Driver and all went well till I was instructed to connect to the Printer and switch it ON. My printer had been printing quite faded prints earlier. I decided to replace printing ink cartridge with another one that I was having for long time.
With Cartridge replaced, I went ahead with 'Test Print'. Printer worked, but Paper did not move. Instead, I sensed plenty of Ink Powder in Paper Tray.
As I pulled out the Sheets, a lump of Ink Powder followed. I removed the Cartridge and placed it on the floor. Soon my Floor was all Black with Ink Powder leaking out of the Cartridge. Ceiling fan made sure that the Powder reaches all parts of the room.
Next hours were spent in cleaning the room and the Printer.
Had to get the Printer serviced and the Cartridges checked. The Body of the Cartridge had broken internally. Happy ending with everything working in order.
I was reminded of Urdu Sher ' Agar aasaanian ho'n Zindagi dushwaar ho jaaaye' (If everything is easy, the Life would become difficult to live)

Need Suggestions - I have a year old Dell Inspiron 3000, which is an I3, 8GB RAM and 1TB HDD. It is running windows 11 right now. For the last few months, the laptop is extremely slow and no matter what I clear or what tools I use, the performance doesn't improve. The warranty is over and the trouble started right after that. Neither is the RAM usage high nor is the HDD over 25% full. Any suggestions on what can be done to improve speed? Even the initial boot takes pretty long time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dass (Post 5416997)
Need Suggestions - I have a year old Dell Inspiron 3000, which is an I3, 8GB RAM and 1TB HDD….. Any suggestions on what can be done to improve speed? Even the initial boot takes pretty long time.

Try changing to SSD. That one change did wonders to my 7 year old desktop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dass (Post 5416997)
Need Suggestions - I have a year old Dell Inspiron 3000, which is an I3, 8GB RAM and 1TB HDD. It is running windows 11 right now. For the last few months, the laptop is extremely slow and no matter what I clear or what tools I use, the performance doesn't improve. The warranty is over and the trouble started right after that. Neither is the RAM usage high nor is the HDD over 25% full. Any suggestions on what can be done to improve speed? Even the initial boot takes pretty long time.

Analyse the task manager.
You can use this guidance to reach some conclusion and next steps. If your disk usage stays close to 100%, after you have tried tuning, then changing to ssd should help tremendously.
https://support.lenovo.com/in/en/sol...-in-windows-10